+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Patch 2.8 Dubstep sounds from Shimmersand audible in Meridian and beyond

Soulwalker

Default Patch 2.8 Dubstep sounds from Shimmersand audible in Meridian and beyond

Doing auctions in Meridian lately, I've heard a super annoying repeating sound sometimes. It sounds like a helicopter bass beat (thub thub thub thub thub thub thub) with a repeating pattern of scratchy electrical discharge noises on top of it. At first, I thought it must be something near the auctioneer, but following the sound by ear, I followed it down to Shimmersand, and it seems to be coming from somewhere near the center (or possibly closer to the entrance) of The Flatyard. The sound is audible as far away as parts of Stonefield. I went out to Stonefield (and the northernmost tip of Freemarsh) to find out exactly where the border is, and I made this rough map: http://imgur.com/a/KcGMJ

It seems that lots of things can disable the sound. When world events are happening in a zone you are in, and a notification pops up, that is one thing that will make the sound stop. And if you portal from one location inside the sound zone to another location in the sound zone, that'll make the sound stop. Sometimes it stops for reasons I'm not aware of. But it seems it will start again whenever you are outside of the sound zone, and you transition into the sound zone, and there's nothing else unusually noisy around you.

There seems to be a margin of maybe 10 meters between a further edge where the sound stops, and an inner edge where the sound starts again. The second image I linked to shows where I'm standing when I found that inner edge near Granite Falls. If you portal to a far away zone, and then portal to Granite Falls (or any of the closer portals) the sound will start up again. Note: You have to portal away first, outside the sound zone, and then back in, to get the sound to start playing.

Based on the sound settings, I can tell that this sound is not classified under "Ambient Volume" because I can move that slider down to zero and the sound remains. But the sound must somehow be classified as both "Spells and Abilities Volume" and "Environment Volume" because if either of those sliders is moved down toward zero, the annoying sound goes away with it.

Does anybody know what this sound is supposed to be? Is it some kind of glitch? Or maybe some kind of hint about something that patch 2.8 hid in or beneath The Flatyards somehow? Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex? The sound doesn't seem to get much louder as you get closer, and you have to find it by direction. And very close to the center point, the strong directionality fades -- I can't turn my character's head so the sound is only in one ear and not the other -- so it seems maybe the point of origin must be signficantly above or below the ground in The Flatyards.

Does anybody else notice this sound? And did anybody notice this sound before patch 2.8? It may have been there before but I never noticed it.

Complete speculation on my part, but its either a bug, or perhaps part of the event(s) leading to the xpac dropping ... the sound of the coming infinity gate perhaps?

I had this sound too whenever I ported to/changed shards in Freemarch and Droughtlands. It stayed and disappeard after different lenghts or until moving within these regions. For me it sounded like a steam train driving in the distance.
    Last edited by Lufia5; 08-09-2014 at 01:52 AM.

At first I thought there was something wrong with my computer.

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

Arriving soon to a zone near you.....

Ascendant

I've had some audio echo issues since 2.8, though only inside raid instances.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    Arriving soon to a zone near you.....
    With all my heart, I know I want to destroy that place. Just from the sound it makes.

Or, I need to move out of Meridian.

I've had the sound issue repeatedly near the auction house in Meridian. Rather annoying.

Ascendant

It's only when you point your camera towards it, so just spin your camera 180.
    Burst before or after Rift implosion, never both.

Thanks - point is academic now - zee auction house, she is no more (for a while).

Champion

I do hope that this sound effect is a temporary addition to the game, and isn't going to be sticking around throughout the next xpac. It's highly annoying and nerve-shredding and there's no reason we need to hear it in any zones other than Shimmersand.

Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?
    Don't mind me; just making a note to hijack this quote as a forum sig someday.

Carry on!
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

Default it's the infinity gate (apparently)

It's still buggy, however - as it is friggin' annoying as hell as it comes and goes and appears across multiple zones.

I was leveling my gathering professions and actually switched the sound off. Can't be in a zone with this. It's like friggin' water torture.

Even this short clip will drive you nuts.

It can be adjusted on the personal "spells and effects", so it's definitely "borked".
    Last edited by WockyCC; 08-10-2014 at 09:19 AM.

Rift Disciple

[snip]... And if you portal from one location inside the sound zone to another location in the sound zone, that'll make the sound stop....[snip]
    On that note, just switching shards works too to make it stop. Never thought to try that until I read your post even though I had noticed that sometimes if seems to go off if you use the portal, so thanks for that

This sound is doing my head in, I really hope they'll fix it soon. And if it's intended, please just limit it to the vicinity of where it's coming from. I can't stand the thought of this going on until the expansion hits, or even longer

Quote Originally Posted by Ailar View Post
    On that note, just switching shards works too to make it stop. Never thought to try that until I read your post even though I had noticed that sometimes if seems to go off if you use the portal, so thanks for that
    Switching shards and porting is normaly what starts this sound for me and only after some time it dies down.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast