+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Improved Starting Areas!

Default Improved Starting Areas!

I thought you all might like an update on how things are progressing. There have been some pretty big changes recently! We just added the new and improved starting areas for both the Guardians and the Defiants. I was anxious to try them both out. Especially since I still havenít decided which faction I will be playing at release!

First, I had to create new characters. Things have changed a lot in the way of character creation. Lots more choices now than what you saw in footage from earlier presentations. It took me quite a while to finish creating my new characters. That always takes me a long time because I am very picky about my avatars. So I loved having lots more choices as I created them.

Then I played through both newbie zones. All I can say is wow! Both zones have been overhauled in every way. And both are amazing! They look really nice and they present the story and background of the game in a clear way. I would highly recommend playing both starting areas when the game is released. It was really cool to get the history and background on both factions.

But what really impressed me was the game play in these starting zones. It was great! I was put into exciting situations from the start. I did not feel like it was a tutorial, even though I was being led through adventures that were setting me up for what to expect as I level up in the game. Itís very exciting to see these changes and improvements. Personally, I didnít think the starting areas were bad to begin with. But now that they have been improved, I am very impressed!

Itís really an exciting process to watch. I have been impressed with the game since I first started playing it. Itís been fun and very enjoyable. But now they are in the process of taking things that are good and making them better, along with fixing all the little bugs that rear their ugly heads during alpha and beta. Having been an MMO gamer for so long, I really enjoy watching the process. Itís like being on the set of your favorite movie!

I canít wait for you to see it for yourself! But until then, I wanted to let you know that things are definitely moving right along!

This is really good news, especially in regard to character creation. I'm curious though, just how short can the height slider go, especially considering the lack of choice for short races?

Also, how do you think only two starting areas affects replay value? As good as the starting areas might be, I'm afraid that giving a similar leveling experience will make alts rather tedious. There are an awful lot of alt-a-holics, you know! I can remember games with separate starting areas for every race and multiple places to level at any level range. (Which actually brings up another question: are there a variety of choices for hunting grounds as you level?)

I understand that developer resources are limited, especially as game development costs rise, but some assurance of future races/starting areas would satisfy at least some of us.

Edit: Here's a challenge for the Senior Community Manager: what's one thing that you dislike or that annoys you about the current state of the game? By that I mean with regard to the game world and mechanics, not bugs. I've no doubt you love the game, but you can't honestly like every single aspect. I think the community at large would really appreciate the candidness!

Edit2: With regard to character creation, inquiring minds must know, how are dwarf hands looking? A bit more petite, perhaps?
    Last edited by Isow; 10-12-2010 at 05:07 PM.

Wooohoooo!

Sounds great, Abi, thanks! Beta should be really interesting.

woot..thanks for the update Abi..so soon is sooner then soon was...=P

It is nice that you posted this positive review but it only makes the wait that much harder!

Soulwalker

Good to hear the devs are still tweaking the game. I played a starter area at PAX and was generally impressed. Cant wait for beta and keep it up Abi and the devs.

R/
    Kelvos

Ascendant

You are such a teaser!

Sounds Great!

I'm jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by Abigale View Post
    Things have changed a lot in the way of character creation. Lots more choices now than what you saw in footage from earlier presentations.
    I pretty much figured(/hoped) this was going to be the case, but it's nice to have it confirmed.

Everything sounds great so far. Thanks for the info.
    Can't wait to have a go at this game for myself. Until then, have fun playing without us. :P
    playstyle: serious casual
    years playing mmos: 5

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Abigale View Post
    I was put into exciting situations from the start.
    THAT'S what I wanted to hear.

I know I've probably caused a few eyes to roll whenever i start up about the introductory kill 6 bugs thing. But Rift absolutely must come out all guns firing next year and a slow start will simply not cut it. GW2 already has everyone in a spin, and you can bet Gametrailers, 1UP, IGN, Eurogamer will be expecting Rift to compete. Those reviewers will only experience a small portion of the game, so you cannot adopt a 'slow start, big finish' like some people want. You absolutely have to get the player engrossed, you have to grab them and make them go "omg thats sweet" right from the get go. GW2 will be doing that, and everyone will be expecting Rift to follow suit. Those first 10 levels next year will be crucial.

Thanks for the post Abigale.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorathir View Post
    THAT'S what I wanted to hear.

I know I've probably caused a few eyes to roll whenever i start up about the introductory kill 6 bugs thing. But Rift absolutely must come out all guns firing next year and a slow start will simply not cut it. GW2 already has everyone in a spin, and you can bet Gametrailers, 1UP, IGN, Eurogamer will be expecting Rift to compete. Those reviewers will only experience a small portion of the game, so you cannot adopt a 'slow start, big finish' like some people want. You absolutely have to get the player engrossed, you have to grab them and make them go "omg thats sweet" right from the get go. GW2 will be doing that, and everyone will be expecting Rift to follow suit. Those first 10 levels next year will be crucial.

Thanks for the post Abigale.
    I'm one of those "slow start, big finish people," (starting out as a weak, nobody peon makes eventually slaying gods and dragons feel like that much more of an accomplishment) but I definitely see the reason for a big start, especially with regard to first impressions, reviews, etc. I also think a big start fits in a lot better with Rift's resurrection lore than it does with most games.

Very cool. I have fond memories of the starting areas in EQ. It's sad to go through those zones now and see nobody there. I'm excited that these areas are good.

Shadowlander

Thank you for the update abi, I am glad you commented on the tutorial feeling ( i hate that as well) a little bit is fine, but i like to jump into the action and not be read a book on how to play, i more of a learn by getting pwned player.

Thanks for the update!! i was waiting for one =)
    that are really good news!
    i speack not english good you tell me when wrong i am ! [JK!]
    Waiting for the king of the mmorpg's ...
    -Dnz

Excellent news, a good starting experience goes a long way in winning over customers. Also very happy to hear the customization options have expanded!

Thanks for the update! Always good to hear about how things are comeing along during development

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast