+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Expansion 3.0, are you going to stay or leave?

Plane Touched

RoughRaptors is still around. Look him up on greybriar

Since Rift is F2P, it's not as though when 3.0 drops anyone will be faced with a decision about upgrading. As such, the only thing Trion can really do with updates is drive people away faster if they, well, suck.

As for me, I hate underwater content, so I don't expect to be around for very long after seeing 3.0 Grinding rep and currencies will no doubt be hindered if you don't want to engage in underwater activities, and since that what Rift is all about at max level, it doesn't leave many options.
    Faeblight (US PVE-RP)
    Lifemender - Cleric (65) & Oxenheart - Warrior (65) ... & friends
    Look for any toons in the Cosmic Rhinocerii "guild". They're all me!
    Don't hesitate to say "hi!" if you see me. Always looking for new Rifters to help. If you need, just ask!

I'm probably staying cause I want to eat up all the new content, but I'll be taking a far more relaxed approach this time round so I don't burn out as quickly and I'm wary of some of the things Trion has done in the past.

In terms of notoriety; the one benefit to notoriety reset is that it gives players a 'purpose' and brings them together outside of instances (raiding/etc). I.e., when Storm Legion first came out there were massive 3-4 raid Great Hunt groups and a ton of people doing Strongholds when they came out. Almost two years on and it has kind of died down (although you'll still get raid groups for GHVs).

As long as they make the content enjoyable (and Nightmare Rifts from what we've heard thus far sounds at least more interesting than Great Hunts), I think new notorieties are fine. Obviously this will be different for players who are rushing to get BiS gear though.

There are a few negatives that I'm wary of:
    • Every so often Trion makes decisions that just have me asking "What were they on?" and "Do they want to lose players? Because that's how you lose players.", like the recent AH non-refundable listing fee.
    • I'll be paying close attention to the level of new stuff we can get without Credits and that aren't insanely prohibitive using other options. If I feel like I'm spending more time trying to get REX than I am enjoying the content, it might be time to move on.
    • Fluff items. Sounds stupid but I like them. Classic was a lot better than Storm Legion on this front. I completing all Zone achieves, did all Dungeon achieves/etc because I wanted those Meta achieve fluff items. Storm Legion replaced them with PA XP Crystals, or just didn't have them. My low achieve count in Storm Legion zones reflects that. Same with Storm Legion Artifact Sets. Classic had fluff items for zone normal artifact sets; Storm Legion doesn't.
    • Also will look at the level of content rehash in 3.0. Trion's reasoning for Tier 3 models, revamps, Tier 3/PvP gear models and others was that they are concentrating on 3.0. If 3.0 has too much rehash, it will be a pretty big negative for me since it probably suggests Trion have resource issues and perhaps RIFT isn't bringing in enough money to keep up with staffing costs so they have to take all these shortcuts.

So there's negatives and possible negatives I am wary of going into 3.0. How everything else (like the amount of souls that are viable) comes together will determine how long I stick with RIFT in 3.0.

Quote Originally Posted by Chloebeth View Post
    You know one of my biggest gripes with Rift is it went FtP, I do understand they had to do what they had to do to make money. No one is in business to loose money or break even. But it felt to me once they went FtP alot of their efforts went into the cash shop and less into real content. Now I do understand that 3.0 is a huge content update and I have not truly played since last sep, so I can not speak for what has been done between now and then. I just hope they can turn it back around if they have not already because Pre-SL Rift to me was an amazing game!
    I wouldn't get your hopes up, Chloebeth. The game is focused around lockboxes; semi-weekly, monthly and seasonal "promotions" that require countless hours of grinding for a good items, or a $10-20 cash purchase; as well as pain-reducing "quality of life" boosts and upgrades (e.g. "Grind 100 hours, or pay $20! You decide!").

3.0 will bring a new breed of grind that will be so mind numbing as to make purchasing XP, Notoriety and Token vials seem virtually essential.
    Faeblight (US PVE-RP)
    Lifemender - Cleric (65) & Oxenheart - Warrior (65) ... & friends
    Look for any toons in the Cosmic Rhinocerii "guild". They're all me!
    Don't hesitate to say "hi!" if you see me. Always looking for new Rifters to help. If you need, just ask!

Quote Originally Posted by Phelim on the Moor View Post
    I wouldn't get your hopes up, Chloebeth. The game is focused around lockboxes; semi-weekly, monthly and seasonal "promotions" that require countless hours of grinding for a good items, or a $10-20 cash purchase; as well as pain-reducing "quality of life" boosts and upgrades (e.g. "Grind 100 hours, or pay $20! You decide!").

3.0 will bring a new breed of grind that will be so mind numbing as to make purchasing XP, Notoriety and Token vials seem virtually essential.
    You know what hyperbole is, right? Because it's literally shooting out of all your orifices right now.
    Seranii@Greybriar - 60 Eth Warrior
    | SL: 11/12 T2, 5/8 T3 | NT: X/X T1 |
    < Dirty Casual until 3.0 >
    "One day you'll hang your head as you realize,
    You've heard it all but didn't listen to a word."

Rift Chaser

Kinda curious what you need to grind 100 hours for or pay 20 bucks.

Also, under water content would be limited to 10% of all activities. That was announced some time ago.

What I don't like about these threads, is that people just throw their own comments around, as if they're facts, but Trion has already stated differently. But people will still read this and get the wrong idead. -.-

i'm a sucker for new content so i'm definitely staying.

Plane Touched

Actually quit for something like four months because rift had been getting seriously boring.

Came back to mess around and try out 3.0 with a different gameplay style than I had been using. Still doing some setup work but my new playstyle seems very well suited to rift and I think it will make 3.0 much less grindy. Its already proven itself fairly profitable obliterating a lot of the boredom.

Personally hoping for new gear and not just a reskin/rename of an existing set. T2 cloth looks like an angry green preacher. Glad to have kept my world set helmet I wouldn't want to be caught dead in the t2 one. Glad to see that set go bye-bye some day.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Zaber View Post
    the Planebreaker heart from Troves can't be pay to win
    1) P2W

I am sure that anyone will have his own definition of P2W. For me, it is when players pay in store for items that most of players have never seen and so get an “unfair” advantage.

PBB heart is dropped by end boss of T2. Most of the guilds are 2/3 IG and 3/5 PBB, and have never seen a heart dropping. So I don’t think we should be able to get it in the store, even it is just chance to get it.

2) PvP

I am rank 90, and retrospectively I wondering why I bothered level it up. PvP in Rift is messy, unresponsive and laggy.

3) New Souls

I bought the soul 2.7 the first day when they were released. Same week, I tanked Proteus.

Do you think it is normal to buy the new soul and have no mage tank weapon/essence to use it? Do you sell a car without wheels and deliver them 2 weeks later?

4) Soul trees

I still think that the soul tree system is saving the game.

Will 3.0 come before winter? Cause 12 dayz past New Year my guild is leaving for new project.

Btw we're all patrons and we exclusively pvp, buying wardrobes\weapon skins etc, that's bout 70 ppl.

Game engine is an unoptimized horror, class balance is non existent for pvp, game favors healing too much(sometimes we stack 5 man healing group for weeklies and wf win ratio is 100%). I don't think there is anything good for pvpers in 3.0 so no point staying.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Sezex View Post
    sometimes we stack 5 man healing group for weeklies and wf win ratio is 100%
    Pre-made WF and CQ are killing PvP. There are nights you can't win a match with random players.

Let me just e-mail Doc Brown for those De Lorean plans, jump ahead a few months and take a look, i'll get back to you yesterday.....

I've never bought a lockbox, spent 100 hours grinding, or paid $20 for anything in this game, but I'm doing just fine. Even if you feel that you need something only purchasable with credits, it's not hard to get enough plat for a REX. Run your experts and T1 raids each week and you'll have more coruscating ethereal shards than you know what to do with.

The biggest grind in SL has been torvan rep, but even that doesn't take that long if you do the story quest, daily, and chronicles. I did pay $5 for AH access/another char slot, but that's hardly P2W and if I wasn't so lazy I could have just gotten a REX with a bit more plat farming. Lockboxes are a joke and exist only for the mount. Paying $100 for some ugly horse isn't exactly P2W either, and the people who fall into the lockbox trap (hopefully) have the disposable income to do so. I won't go telling people how to spend their money.

The game is in no way focused around lockboxes, 100 hour grinds, or P2W.
    <Critical Hit>
    1/4 RoF 1/5 MS

It really boggles my mind when players claim buying PvE gear is P2W. What exactly are they winning? The DPS add on that one may or may not have installed? I'd rather be in a group with 4 pay to win players to ensure I get my loot if it drops.
    Last edited by DrainHeart; 08-08-2014 at 12:02 AM.

Telaran

Ive never understood the concept of winning in a MMO.
    What are you winning?
    No one ever wins or loses in a MMO.
    Its simply a game mechanism to consume your time .
    If buying stuff in the Rift store speeds up or slows down your rate of consuming time , so what.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast