+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 235
Like Tree74Likes

  Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Trion Accounts compromised

  1. #1
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    163

    Default Trion Accounts compromised

    My roommate's account was compromised today. They spend over an hour on live chat to find out that what trion calls a "malicious IP address" is really a hacker who somehow got in to there Rift account from the game Archeage. that game is linked through Glyph. Also my roommate does not have that game, so they were still able to accuse their account. Their account did not get coin locked and was charged over $4000 with game credits. Trion is refunding them the money, but What i want to know is what is been done about this and why have we not been notified. As customers and by law we have the right to know. http://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42475.pdf

  2. #2
    Champion Kaiser Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    537

    Default

    Someone else got his account hacked and charged and made a post about it today as well.
    It seems there is a new security breach, which is Rift and or Glyph related.

    I would advise everyone to delete their payment options that are linked with Trion games.

  3. #3
    Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser Phoenix View Post
    Someone else got his account hacked and charged and made a post about it today as well.
    It seems there is a new security breach, which is Rift and or Glyph related.

    I would advise everyone to delete their payment options that are linked with Trion games.
    Yep, just did that, and changed passwords as well.

  4. #4
    Ascendant Kronos v's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    7,225

    Default

    may or may not be related, but Russian hackers recently acquired the mother load of all digital usernames/passowrds, from a variety of companies.

    expect to see a lot of compromised accounts in the near future.
    good time to change any passwords you have, and not just on rift.
    try not to reuse passwords across multiple sites.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

  5. #5
    Ascendant Techie Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kronos v View Post
    may or may not be related, but Russian hackers recently acquired the mother load of all digital usernames/passowrds, from a variety of companies.

    expect to see a lot of compromised accounts in the near future.
    good time to change any passwords you have, and not just on rift.
    try not to reuse passwords across multiple sites.
    This is much more likely than to see any game developer get compromised. Don't use the same username/password combinations for things people!

    Also install the Rift mobile authenticator if you have a smartphone. It'll save you from this sort of thing.


  6. #6
    Ascendant Kronos v's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    7,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser Phoenix View Post
    Someone else got his account hacked and charged and made a post about it today as well.
    It seems there is a new security breach, which is Rift and or Glyph related.

    I would advise everyone to delete their payment options that are linked with Trion games.
    this is why I use prepaid virtual credit cards for online purchases (not just rift).
    doesn't matter who gets compromised, me or a company I do business with, the hackers get nothing (or if they are lucky, they get very little).

    Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

  7. #7
    Champion Kaiser Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Techie Will View Post
    This is much more likely than to see any game developer get compromised.
    Woosh, absolutely! http://www.gamesradar.com/trion-worl...y-compromised/ (2011)

    You truly are conveniently ignorant?
    Last edited by Kaiser Phoenix; 08-07-2014 at 01:28 PM.

  8. #8
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    12

    Default

    yes awesome i was about to join dungeon got disconected logged in and all chars gone ... bloody awesome this..
    "Cant is the cancer of happen" - Mr Sheen.

    Winning anyone?

  9. #9
    Ascendant Techie Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Basture View Post
    yes awesome i was about to join dungeon got disconected logged in and all chars gone ... bloody awesome this..
    That doesn't sound like anything that a compromised account would do. People taking accounts are normally after money, not to delete your characters.

    Make sure your shard isn't down, make sure you're on the right shard.


  10. #10
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser Phoenix View Post
    Woosh, absolutely! http://www.gamesradar.com/trion-worl...y-compromised/ (2011)

    You truly are conveniently ignorant?
    That story is from 2011.

  11. #11
    Ascendant Techie Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser Phoenix View Post
    Woosh, absolutely! http://www.gamesradar.com/trion-worl...y-compromised/ (2011)

    You truly are conveniently ignorant?
    Which is 2011, welcome to learning from mistakes. Do you really think they didn't up security after that? Or better yet, up security when they first transitioned Rift to free to play?

    I'm not conveniently ignorant, I'm stating the truth. Most account compromises come from someone hacking a fansite or other online community, stealing a list of passwords and usernames and trying them on games.


  12. #12
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    17

    Default Hacked but not through my IP

    I was hacked but somehow I never got coin locked so what the GM said was:
    GM Kitsoone: The compromise was not with Rift it was in ArcheAge, therefore the whitelist couldn't kick that IP from logging into the account.
    ME I dont play archeage
    GM Kitsoone: The account was found compromised and purchases were made from a malicious IP.

    They made no attempt to apologize.

    Anyone ever heard of PCI standards???

  13. #13
    Ascendant Narcise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    2,468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser Phoenix View Post
    Someone else got his account hacked and charged and made a post about it today as well.
    It seems there is a new security breach, which is Rift and or Glyph related.

    I would advise everyone to delete their payment options that are linked with Trion games.
    Yah, done.... and changed passwords.

  14. #14
    Ascendant Techie Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elektraz View Post
    I was hacked but somehow I never got coin locked so what the GM said was:
    GM Kitsoone: The compromise was not with Rift it was in ArcheAge, therefore the whitelist couldn't kick that IP from logging into the account.
    ME I dont play archeage
    GM Kitsoone: The account was found compromised and purchases were made from a malicious IP.

    They made no attempt to apologize.

    Anyone ever heard of PCI standards???
    Alright, so more information is coming out.

    It sounds like people's account information was compromised somewhere, which they used to log into AA beta with. Maybe they had a ton of keys from somewhere. That whitelisted the IP and allowed them to log into Rift.

    The more important question though, is did they refund any money that was taken while the account was compromised?


  15. #15
    Telaran Skarsha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Gold Coast Australia
    Posts
    62

    Default Archeage, Hackshield, Glyph, accounts hacked...coincidence?

    Hmm i was doing some research on Archeage before the CBT2 across various forums and i discovered a lot of people raising serious concerns about the program called Hackshield that is attached to the Archeage client.

    People were raising major concerns that Hackshield, in the past, has provided backdoor access for Hackers. Now, not even a week after the AA beta, multiple people are experiencing this.

    Coincidence?

    If anyone with detailed knowledge of Hackshield history/functionality could chime in here that would be great.

    Cheers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts