+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: How often does Glyph need to Download???

Quote Originally Posted by tirza View Post
    Why do I have to do anything? Why doesnt the stinking thing close after you enter the game? Why do I have to go out of game close launcher and then go back? Take this thing and you know what you can do with it.

Every time I see it and have to do anything I get just a little more angry. Was impressed with patron rework, That is cancelled out by this blatant attempt to sell me moar!

It's bad enough there is so much cash shop crap in game, this pisses me off before I even get in the game.
    Calm down there.

It's a setting you can turn on. Click Settings then Advanced. You can set it to auto close (or to not remember your password).

Also, lets not forget they are a company. They're going to want to sell you something. That attitude would be like saying you don't like going to a local grocer because they advertise specials outside the front door.

can confirm that glyph started acting up the last few days as well.

never did it before, but now every time I restart my PC, it erratically re-installs itself.

Sure they'll bring out a patch soon enough.

I "think" it's related to the beta client for ArcheAge.

I will spend some time during next week diagnosing / troubleshooting if it doesn't clear up on it's own.

Rift Disciple

[Wed Jul 23 20:38:39 2014 GMT] GlyphClient version MAIN-102-75-A-20918
    [Wed Jul 23 20:38:40 2014 GMT] Update required. Remote version: MAIN-102-76-A-21234

[Fri Jul 25 06:29:40 2014 GMT] GlyphClient version MAIN-102-75-A-20918
    [Fri Jul 25 06:29:40 2014 GMT] Update required. Remote version: MAIN-102-78-A-21417

[Fri Jul 25 21:43:18 2014 GMT] GlyphClient version MAIN-102-75-A-20918
    [Fri Jul 25 21:43:19 2014 GMT] Update required. Remote version: MAIN-102-79-A-21473

After it updated today working without issue.
    [Fri Jul 25 21:49:47 2014 GMT] GlyphClient version MAIN-102-79-A-21473
    [Fri Jul 25 21:49:57 2014 GMT] Adjusting to server time of Fri Jul 25 21:49:58 2014 GMT

During the first three updates I had the downloader removed and just bypassed it so to me it looks like Glyph is being worked on and new builds posted. Im guessing the next time it tries to download it will be a new build.

IMO of course.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Techie Will View Post
    Calm down there.

It's a setting you can turn on. Click Settings then Advanced. You can set it to auto close (or to not remember your password).

Also, lets not forget they are a company. They're going to want to sell you something. That attitude would be like saying you don't like going to a local grocer because they advertise specials outside the front door.
    I was happy to pay the sub. Not my decision to go f2p.The cash shop has ruined all events. I do not participate in any of them. They are all just a trap to gamble.

Total lockboxes or whatever I've bought that I can remember: Zero.
    Events I've participated in: Bunches.

Not seeing the problem here.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

I have had to download Glyph again every time I want to log in. What's up with that?

7.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #22
    Rift Team

FYI, if you think you're seeing this problem, please restart Glyph and see if it actually updates every time. We did four Glyph updates this week (all related to Archeage, but affecting everyone of course). There was one on Wednesday, two on Thursday, and one on Friday.

That's certainly a lot of updates, and it can definitely make people think that Glyph is updating itself unnecessarily when it's not (well, depending on your definition of 'unnecessarily' anyway). But in general, we expect only one update per week.

/aahz

See, here's a couple problems I have with glyph:

First, it's EXTREMELY annoying for those of us who have zero interest in your other games that we have to be micromanaged for them with glyph. That's asinine, regardless that overall, glyph is less invasive than blizzard's bnet launcher app.

Second, I seriously resent the fact that you didn't ASK me where I want glyph to install to, and to load from. I don't do ANYTHING but windows/office apps in C:/Program Files (x86), and yet you forced an install there. So when I started having issues with glyph wanting to re-download and install every time I started Rift (just the other day), I had to go find where YOU chose to install a piece of software to MY computer, and then shortcut it from there to make it behave.

Sorry guys - I've been using computers since 1985 (bet that's longer than most of you have even been alive) and deciding to not allow me to select where I want something to install and run from - that's just TACKY.

9.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #24
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by Narcise View Post
    Second, I seriously resent the fact that you didn't ASK me where I want glyph to install to, and to load from. I don't do ANYTHING but windows/office apps in C:/Program Files (x86), and yet you forced an install there. So when I started having issues with glyph wanting to re-download and install every time I started Rift (just the other day), I had to go find where YOU chose to install a piece of software to MY computer, and then shortcut it from there to make it behave.
    The Glyph installer does ask you where to install it.

/aahz

Soulwalker

Well I give up!
    Ok I can buy "we released new versions" story, but TWICE in one day? I dont think so.
    Glyph updated at 11.56am (New Zealand), and again at 12.53pm, less than an hour.
    When I read this:

http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...ml#post4852286

Translation: We know its turned to crud, but we will have a look in the morning, its go home time.

How likely that they have fixed (updated/broken) anything TWICE in one day.......not bloody likely!

While I absolutely hate Glyph and the concept behind it I've actually installed it in my Rift folder...

C:\Windows
    D:\Storage disk
    E:\Storage\Program files\Games\Rift\Glyph\.... bla bla bla. (also storage disk)

Annnnnnnnd it works fine, still hate it but works fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    The Glyph installer does ask you where to install it.

/aahz
    No, sir. It did not. Had it done so, I would have told it to install to my D: drive which is where all that sort of stuff goes.

And in fact, not five minutes ago, it downloaded AGAIN, and AGAIN installed itself without asking for any input from me.

[Sorry for double post - missed the extremely tiny edit window.]
    Last edited by Narcise; 07-25-2014 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Narcise View Post
    No, sir. It did not. Had it done so, I would have told it to install to my D: drive which is where all that sort of stuff goes.
    Just loaded up the Glyph installer.

I already have it installed, so it won't let me do it again, but you can still see where it asks you.

http://i.imgur.com/EcdCw7k.png

The problem we're seeing is Glyph redownloading, not launching the installer.

EDIT: reinstalling -> redownloading
    Last edited by xanduin246; 07-25-2014 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xanduin246 View Post
    Just loaded up the Glyph installer.

I already have it installed, so it won't let me do it again, but you can still see where it asks you.

http://i.imgur.com/EcdCw7k.png

The problem we're seeing is Glyph redownloading, not launching the installer.

EDIT: reinstalling -> redownloading
    I've never got a dialog box like that. And every time that glyph re-downloads, it auto-launches the installer. For me, that is....
    Last edited by Narcise; 07-25-2014 at 05:34 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast