+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Why isn't Notoriety "account bound"?

Default Why isn't Notoriety "account bound"?

One of the things I love about Rift is the freedom to play not only any soul for your calling but how easy it is to have an alt that is easy to gear and have fun with. You can use your ESM's or FES to send him gear. He shares you're planar attunement so after 60 theres no grind to get all your stats.

So why not Notoriety? I know this topic has come up before but of all the grinds this one is the worst. And all you get access to are runes (which you still gotta have plat for), essences and a cape (which you gotta farm IS for). I think this is the only thing left that is not shared between your characters besides your actual gear. So why was this left out?

Thoughts?

Because people would make tons of alts to make dailies instead of buying notoriety boosters?

#sosimple
    twitch.tv/seshatar | Twitter: @Seshatar | HoT Discord | Discord: Seshatar#1337

<Skins on Farm> selling 700+ weapon wardrobe skins on [EU] (click for full list)

IGNs: [EU] Volturnus@Gelidra / [NA] Seshatar@Faeblight | RAF: LMPNWLNLPHY2P6QCTWF6

Rift Master

If someone's willing to make a dozen alts to run dailies and whatever other content gives rep, I would assume that a number of them would also be willing to use notoriety vials as well. Also, if all their alts are max level, I could see a non patron buying patron status and boosters for a time to boost their alts notoriety gain.

I really don't understand why people are so afraid that making notoriety account wide unfairly favors those who like having alts. It favors them sure, but unfairly? The people with alts are putting more time into the game for the sake of having more characters to play. That should be rewarded, not punished. I also feel that people with multiple alts may be more likely to keep a patron status up. More value added=more money spent, particularly in light of how awesome patrons is while leveling.

I guess those who hate having alts could be unhappy about 'missing out' on faster notoriety gain. Just like I'm not happy about 'missing out' on cq gain since my system is incapable of running cq. Just like a hypothetical situation where I'm unhappy I can't buy the best summerfest rewards because I didn't take the option to do all the quests. Its a choice on whether to have alts, and choices have consequences.

With the notoriety on my main I have bought all my alts the legendary tovan cape, the hailol trinkets and put all the top runes from the SL factions on their items. I have also bought quite a few max level lycini/torvan essences for them. So basically once one char has the rep you are good to go on the alts.

The only reason I would want rep account wide is cosmetic- I want to give one of my alts the ember island strider, but cant because it is bind on pick up.

As far as dailies and rep- I don't see a reason for it if you can buy all the stuff with one char and mail it to an alt. IS stones are transferable, so planerite would be the only thing that would have to be grinded and that is probably the easiest thing to grind.
    Daphenia ~ 60 Warrior ~ Ebon Askavi ~ Hailol

Man looking for an argument: "Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes."
    Arguer: "No it isn't." ~Monty Python's The Argument Clinic

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Seshatar View Post
    Because people would make tons of alts to make dailies instead of buying notoriety boosters?

#sosimple
    If this is a factor then how about a notoriety cap per day per account similar to the currency cap. either that or just tie all daily quests to the account so then you can say choose which faction to do i.e. you can run all the Ashora dailies on each of your alts but you will have no dailies left for the Dendrome etc. this way it will help those who are after a specific faction at a certain time. for those worried about the IS stone drops from these quests maybe just stop the quests giving notoriety after a certain number has been handed in (like a cap but isn't really).

with those suggestions you can even offer patrons more so gives a nice boost to those willing to pay or een buy vials to stretch their daily gain.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by The Raki View Post
    One of the things I love about Rift is the freedom to play not only any soul for your calling but how easy it is to have an alt that is easy to gear and have fun with. You can use your ESM's or FES to send him gear. He shares you're planar attunement so after 60 theres no grind to get all your stats.

So why not Notoriety? I know this topic has come up before but of all the grinds this one is the worst. And all you get access to are runes (which you still gotta have plat for), essences and a cape (which you gotta farm IS for). I think this is the only thing left that is not shared between your characters besides your actual gear. So why was this left out?

Thoughts?
    you are joking and you werent able to read the tooltip of the items in question, right? they are BOA

Just make a "bound to account" token you can buy when you're capped with one rep, that you can give to an alt to cap rep on that one too.

Quote Originally Posted by goia402 View Post
    you are joking and you werent able to read the tooltip of the items in question, right? they are BOA
    I know they are bound to account. And you can call me lazy. But I want to be able to buy this stuff on my alts. If the stuff can be passed to alts why not just make notoriety account bound and the alts can buy them. Also as mentioned above for things like the mount.

The fact, that the players on these forums are defending Trion in this case of not making notoriety account wide is astounding. Lazy patrons don't want freebies to be rewarded for hard work. Imagine the elitist pricks...

If a player were to make 12 alts, run all daily quests available to them 360 (non-patron) and 600 (patron) they should be punished for hard work?

Do you understand how much time would it take for you to do 600 daily quests?

When I was doing dailys for rep, it took me around 1h to do 30-35 quests including crafting ones, so it would be safe to assume that it would take me 10h+ to do 300 dailys before I would jump out of the window from a 20 story building....

People who say: QQ but they will get an unfair advantage to players who don't have 12 alts and don't do 300-600 daily quests per day!!!! are (how should I phrase this without getting an Infraction) - double digit IQ people.

Rift community is like medieval folk, if they don't understand it, burn it at stake!

Ascendant

As someone who almost exclusively plays one character, why should I be punished by reduced rep per quest(to offset the possibility people run multiple characters)? How many max level alts should trion assume the average player will have in order to appropriately time-gate the gear?

I am all for account-wide Notoriety, but the dailies seems to be the sticking point for those with few/no alts. Someone has suggested an account cap on dailies, and that might be a sensible solution. I have many alts, but I cannot see me spending the whole of my time in-game running dailies. I for one would be imposing my own cap, lol.
    RIFT- now Pay 2 Gamble 2 Win
    <Shattered Chain> of Faeblight .::. currently enjoying Guild Wars 2

Quote Originally Posted by VolitheBear View Post
    The fact, that the players on these forums are defending Trion in this case of not making notoriety account wide is astounding. Lazy patrons don't want freebies to be rewarded for hard work. Imagine the elitist pricks...

If a player were to make 12 alts, run all daily quests available to them 360 (non-patron) and 600 (patron) they should be punished for hard work?

Do you understand how much time would it take for you to do 600 daily quests?

When I was doing dailys for rep, it took me around 1h to do 30-35 quests including crafting ones, so it would be safe to assume that it would take me 10h+ to do 300 dailys before I would jump out of the window from a 20 story building....

People who say: QQ but they will get an unfair advantage to players who don't have 12 alts and don't do 300-600 daily quests per day!!!! are (how should I phrase this without getting an Infraction) - double digit IQ people.

Rift community is like medieval folk, if they don't understand it, burn it at stake!
    Dumbing it down that simply is not the case.

We do not want to feel forced into running several (or many) alts to grind out notoriety.

Here's a question for those of you that want account bound notoriety. Have you stopped to think that Trion would have to balance notoriety gains around it being account bound? They certainly did with the later levels of planar attunement. They would have to balance around people running multiple characters per day through dailies, increasing that "grind" that people always whine about even more.

Currently, notoriety being on one character is a little unfair to anyone who plays multiple main characters. A change would just flip the issue around and make it unfair for anyone who plays one character and does not enjoy the other classes. Neither of these is the proper solution, now is it?

There would have to be balance in place. If you want account wide notoriety, then those daily quests that reward notoriety need to be on a per account basis. I don't even know if that's something they can do within the current parameters of quests in-game, but it would make it fair for everyone. It wouldn't matter which character you chose, but you could do it once per day (or at least get the notoriety once per day per account). Obviously notoriety through killing things in the open world would be unchanged.

I'm not against account wide notoriety, I just want everyone to know that it's not a simple "Do this and everyone will be happy" type of solution. If it's just turned account wide, notoriety gains will probably be nerfed to compensate and make you play even more while punishing single character players even further. If it's done a smart way, it could be beneficial for both parties.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Shattered View Post
    I am all for account-wide Notoriety, but the dailies seems to be the sticking point for those with few/no alts. Someone has suggested an account cap on dailies, and that might be a sensible solution. I have many alts, but I cannot see me spending the whole of my time in-game running dailies. I for one would be imposing my own cap, lol.
    I'd be more worried about the story quests. Because they "should be" one time only per notoriety pool, they give like 500-3k rep. If the notoriety was shared, you wouldn't even need dailys, just level some alts to max.

Also, limited dailys on an account basis massively nerfs earning currencies
    Last edited by Caldern; 07-24-2014 at 09:26 AM.

14.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #14
    Rift Team

There are many reasons that notoriety is not currently account bound.

It is a fairly meaty amount of engineering work to move this system to an account system.

Moving this to an account system requires additional changes to deal with the number of daily quests that would be available to end users. This is not "to sell more boosts" - this is because RIFT was never designed with account bound notoriety in mind. We really don't want people feeling compelled to log onto a ton of alts to complete something. This is a similar reason why dungeon and raid tokens are not account wide or tradeable.

We've made notoriety unlocked items bound to account to help out with this issue in the past. There may come a day when we decide to make this account bound, but today is not that day.

~Daglar

Plane Touched

Daglar - I know its been suggested before, and even earlier in the thread, but to fix 90% of the issues you have outlined all that is needed is an account bound item that grants maximum notoriety that is only purchasable by a character with max notoriety. Then the item can be mailed to the alt. No need to fuss with daily quest allowances
    Last edited by silentnights; 07-24-2014 at 09:40 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast