+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: New costume bundles laughable

Default New costume bundles laughable

Did those costume sets really win? Were they the only ones that entered?

I've seen better sets on lowbies that are only wearing the gear they pick up while levelling. The Diety set looks ok, and some of the capes and weapons look good. But the rest of the costume bundles are laughable at best. The only effort that went into them is the dye colors. And even those don't show much effort.

I'm not complaining. I'm just in shock.
    Last edited by Wackywoo; 07-24-2014 at 12:18 AM.
    [No longer an active player]

Champion of Telara TheDoomgiver's Avatar

+1

zero effort, lazy costumes.

I can probably make better costumes using only starter gear, but hey, im not about to waste relic black dyes on that....

seriously, this is how the costumes are judged :

1. is it black enough?
    2. is it ugly enough?
    3. is it slutty enough? (if female)

lets take it further :

A) deity of summer :
    1. shoulders donot match overall style
    2. gloves?!??!?
    3. ugly boots used

B) Summer shimmy bundle :
    1. no gloves
    2. i kinda like this one. commendable.

C) Spellblade :
    1. eww, just ewww
    2. boots, legs donot match.

D) Crit me baby :
    1. belongs in a brothel. please.....

E) Duck wrangler :
    what is this supposed to be?

I thought this was a "SUMMER" contest?
    Where is the summer?

The "winner" used a Sea robe (oh the irony.... edit: to clarify flaming/burning colors and robe of sea... huehuehue), a very nice hat, and a couple of random shoulders and shoes (which were NOT cordinated, you'd never catch me dead with those shoes, they are horrid).

I might just buy the shimmy bundle thing, since it looks so darn good on male chars, but for the rest? a resounding NOPE.

I have declined to participate on each wardrobe contest, beliveing that there;s better talent in the game, but looking at the "winners", i'll definitly try my luck next time, apparently, smaking together random items and painting them constitues a themed "wardobe".

also, i almost FORGOT!!!

capes and weapons!!

these are my fav capes :
    Intrepid knight
    Glasswing shroud (i cant stop twisting my char around!! please stop me!! shimmy shimmy baby)
    Cloak of void (by god.... understated and ABSOLUTELY amazing.... however, it wont work with most outfits.... i can see THIS one out-selling everything else, and being the next "raven's bundle")

now weapons :
    Arc staff
    necrotic relic
    Shard of runes

the other 2 swords arent that good.
    Gearblade is decent, but it apears that most of its details are too small to be made out at a distance... so not worth it, imho.
    Sky sword... looks like a toy, lmao!!! the colors used are terrible... looks like TRION decided to just use the original concept, and didnt give any thought to give it some polish.

so, to sum it up : very lazy "wardrobes" and some absolutely amazing capes. weapons are kinda meh.
    Last edited by TheDoomgiver; 07-24-2014 at 12:57 AM.

I actually did enter. It was kind of just a random "Eh, why not?" So I didn't expect to win. I expected to NOT win, at all, it was just for fun. BUT I expected to be beat by good sets. Who voted for this crap?! Two of them have the same items! The Duck one, I hate hate hate it! On females, the purple doesn't even match!! On males.... it's just... WHAT?! What's with the MITTENS?! It's obvious these sets weren't chosen based on how well they stuck to the actual theme of the contest and how well they worked on both male and female characters. I know it's hard to make it look good on both but... I think it's very clear there was very little, if any, attempt to get them to look good on both.
    Lots and lots of unhappy, dissatisfaction with this whole contest.

Concept stuff; LOVE!! There's some real dedication.

I agree. I have seen better outfits out there in Telara.

Quote Originally Posted by Turlagh View Post
    I agree. I have seen better outfits out there in Telara.
    dye any starter set...

BAMF!!!

award winning costume that'll blow any of these "winners" out of the water.

The concept art items are amazing. Some of those capes are stunning and beautiful, there must be at least one there that everyone will like. The Arc Staff and the Gearblade are my personal favourites. I thought they were very well designed and I found the colours of both of them very appealing.

The costume bundles aren't for me, but I did buy the Crit me baby one as I was looking for each individual wardrobe piece, in particular the boots, without having to buy 3 different sets. I have a lot of wardrobe slots and I like to mix and match with the various dyes.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Hi guys, many criticisms have already been bought up in threads such as: This One

I disagree with the bundles being laughable for reasons such as many wont have to get Ember Isles rep for that extraordinary helm (etc)

I do agree that it would've been great to see more entries, hopefully those who comment actually made an effort and if you did are a good sport about those who won. Judging was close and unbiased. It is very easy to sit here and look at finalists, considering all entries though often those that are unique from each other stand out more and its a hoot (quack, whatever) Trion staff get to enjoy cheering on The Duck.

At the end of the day we were all given an opportunity to get involved whether as a contestant or a voter which is very rare and no one has to buy these bundles. Grats to all winners.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 07-24-2014 at 05:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    I disagree with the bundles being laughable for reasons such as many wont have to get Ember Isles rep for that extraordinary helm (etc)
    Isle Hunter's Crown from the Deity costume has nothing to do with EI rep. It's a reward from killing all 20 rares on Ember Isle, Great Beasts Fear My Name

http://i.imgur.com/uZGwLVb.png

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post

I do agree that it would've been great to see more entries, hopefully those who comment actually made an effort and if you did are a good sport about those who won. Judging was close and unbiased.
    i dont care about winning, since i didnt even participate... im just APPALLED by the atrocious quality of the "costumes" that won.

barring the winner and the cowboy themed one, none of the costumes "gelled" or synergized with each other, take a look at the duck wrangler... are you a duck? where are your wings? why are you wearing striped shoes/socks? atleast the shimmy bundle tries to be original with the colors/items.

even worse is the crit me baby one more time, just AWFUL. females wearing it look like hookers, and males wearing it look like... eh, its just a guy in a pink/gray wife beater, shorts and totally uncool socks+shoes.

are you SERIOUSLY telling me that the contestants lacked creativity to such degree that THESE lolwut costumes won? and one last thing... looks like our contestants are color-blind.... all except 2 have only one color. its as if these people are living in a monochrome world.

is there any entry thread? or even something displaying the shortlisted contestants?

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoomgiver View Post
    i dont care about winning, since i didnt even participate... im just APPALLED by the atrocious quality of the "costumes" that won.

barring the winner and the cowboy themed one, none of the costumes "gelled" or synergized with each other, take a look at the duck wrangler... are you a duck? where are your wings? why are you wearing striped shoes/socks? atleast the shimmy bundle tries to be original with the colors/items.

even worse is the crit me baby one more time, just AWFUL. females wearing it look like hookers, and males wearing it look like... eh, its just a guy in a pink/gray wife beater, shorts and totally uncool socks+shoes.

are you SERIOUSLY telling me that the contestants lacked creativity to such degree that THESE lolwut costumes won? and one last thing... looks like our contestants are color-blind.... all except 2 have only one color. its as if these people are living in a monochrome world.

is there any entry thread? or even something displaying the shortlisted contestants?
    http://riftgrate.com/2014/07/12/drea...ers-announced/

That may be what you're looking for. Enjoy.

Well, I did love the Concepts.

I can't say a word because I didn't send in an entry. Maybe next year there will be more entries and more creative entries. Hopefully all of you will give it a whirl; I know I will
    Daphenia ~ 60 Warrior ~ Ebon Askavi ~ Hailol

Man looking for an argument: "Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes."
    Arguer: "No it isn't." ~Monty Python's The Argument Clinic

There was a LOT of discontent with how the contest finalists were chosen, what was chosen, and how they were presented. Feedback came from both those who entered and those who did not. The general feeling in chat during the livestream was, "How is that even remotely summer themed? It's a nice costume, but....,"

There was a very good write-up of the whole experience by the host of the contest. It included how the contest came together, the process, the voting, the results, and also discussed how it could be improved. I strongly encourage anyone even remotely interested in contests and in seeing them well-executed to read it and respond with comments.

I submitted an entry despite the very low amount of options for summer wear that wasn't stripper-esque, and was incredibly disappointed in the vast majority of entries chosen that and squat to do with summer. Because of Rifgrate's write-up and their desire to improve future competitions, I look forward to entering more.

http://riftgrate.com/2014/07/12/drea...s-announced/2/

I think the thing that is throwing most people off about the costumes is the fact that each is definately not a one fits all wardrobe. When I looked in the rift store and I saw the costumes on my toon I was also like "WTF". But as I look at the way they fit on the toons of the contestants who designed them, I can actually see the appeal.
    "If a raging brute is what they want, then I will not disappoint..."

- Atrophinius -

- In nomine patris, et filii, et spiritus Sanctum... - [/FONT]

RIFT Fan Site Operator

In the end it came down to collated numbers as most contests often do so everyone is treated fairly. I wrote this article to support the variety of choices from each of us Judges and to thank the entrants:

RDD Article: Kiwi's Top 10

..and thank you Cupcakey for continuing to clear up knowledge I sometimes do not have time to remember correctly, either way that also takes time and Spellblade chest piece is EI rep hence the (etc). Much appreciated.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 07-24-2014 at 09:31 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast