+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree42Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: New costume bundles laughable

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by LungingWolf View Post
    I have to be honest.
    There is a method in all of this.

Trion supports people who support them and give them an opportunity to partner with them if you use initiative and approach them with a viable great idea (they ask the community often during Friday Livestreams or here on forums). Its up to that community person how they go about the next steps with minimal fuss so everyone can join in with a finale to aim toward, then the finale is open to the public so the whole community is involved. Its advertised via Trion, via that community person and on here well in advance. Trion Livestreams are the same time'ish every (second) Friday. It will probably be the same for the next time someone is generous enough to take the time on both sides of the spare time fence and I hope there is a next time.

Your response was very thoughtful. I smiled ear to ear when the first concept art contest was held. Having a variety of ways to express our creativeness with fun rewards is awesome.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 07-27-2014 at 09:02 PM.

I personally think that this contest shouldn't have had any judge outside of Trion staff.
    Asking players (no matter who they might be, fan site, guide writers or whatever fancy title they might have) to judge the contest is asking for it to be biased.
    Seeing how a prostitute outfit won third place in the contest, I can hardly believe that some of the judges didn't vote for the person who made the outfit rather then voting for the outfit itself.
    Cheesecakesandwich - Mage 70 | Wrecking - Warrior 70
    Italiansausage - Cleric 70 | Snaplemouton - Rogue 67
    Primalsandwich - Primalist 70
    I'm a grand connoisseur of the most delicate dish known as the poutine.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Snap View Post
    I personally think that this contest shouldn't have had any judge outside of Trion staff.
    Asking players (no matter who they might be, fan site, guide writers or whatever fancy title they might have) to judge the contest is asking for it to be biased.
    Seeing how a prostitute outfit won third place in the contest, I can hardly believe that some of the judges didn't vote for the person who made the outfit rather then voting for the outfit itself.
    Those involved in judging do not benefit in anyway to be biased but to assure the public on three occasions I have been involved this is why more than one stage and judge is chosen. No correspondence regarding choices between judges has been allowed. Time frames to get it all done make this near impossible.

In this contest we also did not know the names of the of the players unless in the picture (and still don't know). Bikini's are also worn on many beaches so I am curious why you would call it such. That head to toe look used three different outfits plus the hair made it fun and vibrant so it stood out.

There was also a Trion staff member involved in judging (Archonix) and Trion staff chose an honorable mention in the Duck Wrangler to cheer on their work colleague.

So Cheese on this occasion I am not sorry to say you are completely wrong.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 07-29-2014 at 05:55 AM.

Default she drives me nuts, but she's fair...

I've been in a competition as a judge before with Kiwi in the Dream Dimension thingy.

It works like this: We look at the items up for judging and rate it in our order of preference. The judges don't usually speak to each other so we can't influence each other. Hell, in the Dream Dimension competition, I didn't even know the other judges. I was too busy to consult with them - I just selected my top 10.

The scores are then tallied and then the top 5 or 4 or whatever are given to the live-stream to judge.

I don't think people realize how much effort goes into organizing a competition, the man-power, the time required.

The winners are initially chosen on the subjective opinion of the initial wave of the judges, but there are usually quite a few judges, so the possibility of skewed biased results are limited in my opinion.

Then, after choosing, you see the final competition and wonder... darn! I actually should have rated that higher!

No competition is perfect, but from my experience, her competitions are fair.

I certainly had regrets after the Dream Dimension competition was launched with some of my placements. People change their mind before and after sometimes. It happens - especially if you're judging similar works.

It all evens out in the end, however.
    Last edited by WockyCC; 07-29-2014 at 05:52 AM.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by WockyCC View Post
    Referring to title.
    Cheers for being a judge then and all the efforts made. This contest wasn't mine I was a judge and you are correct I'm nuts enough to keep encouraging community projects since June 2013 in my own time cause its a ton of fun!
    Last edited by Kiwi; 07-29-2014 at 06:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    So Cheese on this occasion I am not sorry to say you are completely wrong.
    There is absolutely nothing wrong in what I said.

It's not hard for someone to send a screenshot to a judge if they know them personally.
    The "Crit me baby" costume? Don't tell me that none of the judges knew who made that costume when they saw it.

Something that is going to be in the rift store shouldn't have a jury outside of Trion team or else it should be opened to vote by everyone so we get on the store what the players actually want instead of what certain individuals find "fun and vibrant". I havn't seen anyone else say anything good about that "Crit me baby" costume.

And 3 different pieces? The costume I took 5 minutes to make and dye uses 4 different set of gear and it looks like an actual costume instead of just the same crap we see on so many females in tempest bay.

In all honesty, Kiwi, do you really believe this "Crit me baby" outfit took any kind of effort to make? That it deserve to win a contest about summer and creativity?
    That costume is an insult to anyone who entered the contest seriously and you know it.
    Cheesecakesandwich - Mage 70 | Wrecking - Warrior 70
    Italiansausage - Cleric 70 | Snaplemouton - Rogue 67
    Primalsandwich - Primalist 70
    I'm a grand connoisseur of the most delicate dish known as the poutine.

Champion of Telara TheDoomgiver's Avatar

In all honesty, Kiwi, do you really believe this "Crit me baby" outfit took any kind of effort to make? That it deserve to win a contest about summer and creativity?
    That costume is an insult to anyone who entered the contest seriously and you know it.
    ^ THIS. 100% this. If nothing else, take note what this guy has just said. It doesnt look "fun" or "summer" (unless your idea of summer is babes in black leather), to top it all, its not even good to look at >.>

Those costume bundles interest me none. I almost threw up when i open the Rift Store.

Some of them are pretty decent with the theme tho.
    We live in a cynical world.

Shadowlander

Have to agree with the thread title and general comments here. The costumes are pretty poor.

Even if we look past the personal preference, everyone has their own tastes thing... almost all of them are not even remotely Summer related.

I had 3 or 4 costumes 'saved', yet to be worn in game, waiting for the right competition. They weren't the theme requested for this comp, so I didn't enter.

Yet, you've allowed any old colour scheme and outfit to receive votes and win.

You deserve the criticism. I mean, you get commended for the effort, time and rewards given, but still have to accept the negative comments you've received.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonk View Post
    I think if all the players here who thought the choices were bad had entered the contest, then it's okay to be disappointed, on the other hand, if you did not post an entry and come here to insult the choices, it's in poor taste, unless you can do better, as the old saying goes...
    Of course it's okay to be disappointed whether we entered the contest or not.

Since when do I have to be an automotive engineer to know which cars I want to drive?
    Since when do I have to be able to play the guitar to know which riffs I want to rock-out to?
    Since when do I have to be a painter to know which paintings I like the look of?
    Since when do I have to be a perfumer to know which perfumes I like the smell of?
    Since when do I have to be a fashion designer to know which clothes I like the look of?

If I was presented with ten bad costumes and asked to pick a favourite then I would pick the costume which was the 'least bad' and that would become the 'winner' but that wouldn't mean that I'd actually want to wear any of the ten costumes. Being the 'best of a bad bunch' isn't really much of a recommendation.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Compared to other entries yes I believe it did because I have every piece needed to make it on my character and no its not an insult - what is an insult is presuming cheating took place which is false and degrades the person who entered as well as the judges then continuing to do so out loud because you think something is distasteful which is a personal choice nothing to do with the entrants or judges. No judge let alone human being is responsible for you and what you choose to believe even when you continue to be completely wrong.

The contest is finished, I believe I have said absolutely everything I can as someone who was involved; from here on in it would just be repetitive which is no fun. I applaud every entry. Hopefully whatever anyone thinks of current costumes it will inspire everyone to enter next time and be a part of an event as it occurs instead of being automated computer chair critics afterward. Now that would be amazing.

Cheers once again to all entries and those who made an effort.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 07-31-2014 at 07:04 AM.

I'm surprised that this thread is still on the first page. It should be deep into the abyss by now.

The contest happened what seems like ages ago. All of the frustrations should have worn away. Mine have anyway.
    [No longer an active player]

Shadowlander

Yikes, so much hurt over a little contest. Congratulations to the winners, sorry to those who didn't win. That's all there is to say really. If you don't like the way it's judged or chosen make your own community contest and judge/choose however you see fit. Don't go around crying when things don't go your way that's just plain immature.
    Last edited by Killerbee; 07-31-2014 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee View Post
    Yikes, so much hurt over a little contest. Congratulations to the winners, sorry to those who didn't win. That's all there is to say really. If you don't like the way it's judged or chosen make your own community contest and judge/choose however you see fit. Don't go around crying when things don't go your way that's just plain immature.
    Agreed. SO much this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4