+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: New costume bundles laughable

Quote Originally Posted by Marigold View Post
    That particular contest was for staff and two handed swords only. However we are probably going to add matching one handed versions for this reason.
    Thank you Marigold! I was afraid to ask because I knew it was a Staff/2H contest and that I'd probably have to wait for a 1-H contest some time in the future whenever that would be which may not be very fair for the other Callings currently.

Soulwalker

i agree, horrible choices on the judges part.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvaene View Post
    http://riftgrate.com/2014/07/12/drea...ers-announced/

That may be what you're looking for. Enjoy.
    Thanks for the link.

And now: OH MY GOD! Who voted for those and not for costume x and what did they smoke!
    Last edited by Yeowang; 07-26-2014 at 02:46 AM.

Needs some Corgi guns like what Trove added

Rift Disciple

Default Re: Nataliee and the Summer Wardrobe Contest Results

Quote Originally Posted by Nataliee View Post
    Did those costume sets really win? Were they the only ones that entered?

I've seen better sets on lowbies that are only wearing the gear they pick up while levelling. The Diety set looks ok, and some of the capes and weapons look good. But the rest of the costume bundles are laughable at best. The only effort that went into them is the dye colors. And even those don't show much effort.

I'm not complaining. I'm just in shock.
    I have to be honest: When I logged in and my wife saw the "God/Goddess of Summer" costume on the front page of the Rift Store, she was like, "What is that?! <Lol.> That's ugly." And, at that point, I couldn't help reluctantly laughing and remarking, "Yeah ... that's bad. I don't know ..."

Listen, I appreciate the fact that we have concept art contests and the good intentions behind them. But, something has to be done about how the winners are being selected. Between the previous contest (the staff, sword, and cape design contest) and the most recent one (the summer costume design contest), my wife and I have been shocked and disappointed by what won and what got highlighted in general.

I'm beginning to think that the judges in these contests need to be supplemented with player voting, as in having the Rift team judges narrow things down and, afterwards, have the players vote on a certain batch of finalists.

Having said that, IMO and with all due respect, I see a parallel between the confusing, disappointing judgment of the Rift team judges in these contests and the confusing, disappointing direction of Rift's lore in the Rift: Storm Legion expansion (i.e. ref. this post). I suspect that there is a common denominator there--specific person(s) (no, I'm not naming names overtly or mentally) or some specific local office culture--which is the culprit behind these things. Of course, I don't have enough info to put my finger on it and make some concrete suggestions, but I know there is something to this.

As a general guess, based on what I have seen of the devs themselves (and I don't mean this personally in any shape or form), there seems to be a loose "do this because it's neat or awesome" creative attitude among them which is producing directionless, random, confusing, disappointing results. If this is the case, then I would very respectfully suggest that this loose creative approach to Rift needs to be replaced with a more long-term, organized, and developed creative plan for Rift (i.e. treating Rift primarily as a set of in-depth novels?). After all, they can be open to the player's suggestions without letting their creative approach to Rift turn into completely arbitrary mush.

Guys, it's all about the heart. You can't be creative by just doing or embracing "neat stuff" or "awesome stuff" on a primarily intellectual level, as devs have a bad habit of doing because they are immersed in design-oriented concerns first and foremost. You have to create something which comes out of and resonates with your hearts first, then balance it appropriately with intellectual and design-oriented considerations.

"You're Off Base." At this point, I could hear Daglar or some other dev object, "Dude, you're way off base here. We have a lore team--passionate fans of the fantasy genre--which sits down and thinks this stuff out. Then, we have general staff meetings which go over what the lore team produces, gives feedback on it (including expanding upon it), and helps make it into a form which can be implemented. So, we do give Rift a very methodological treatment. You don't know what you're talking about."

To this, I would have to reply by asking: " 'What is Rift' then? Or, better yet, where is the distinctiveness of Rift? And where is the 'rich depth' which goes along with it? Explain it to me. Then show me how Rift manifests this in-game. I don't think you can--not without questionable assertions and the type of long debates which you want to avoid."

Again, I love the fact that the Rift team is so interactive with the players via things like these concept art contests. Keep it up! I appreciate you guys for doing this! It's just ... there are some related issues which lie elsewhere, that's all.

I think if all the players here who thought the choices were bad had entered the contest, then it's okay to be disappointed, on the other hand, if you did not post an entry and come here to insult the choices, it's in poor taste, unless you can do better, as the old saying goes...
    I Rift, therefore I am.

Telaran

Default How many people actually knew it was happening?

My wife and I's biggest criticism for the contest was actually lack of advertising. We were on Rift daily for the almost all of Summerfest and neither us, nor the friend we primarily play with, even knew the contest was going on. This was very different from last year's Halloween costume contest when I knew it was going on for weeks. Where was it announced? It certainly wasn't on Glyph, as near as I could tell.

I love the costume contests, and despite many of the comments on this thread I thought the Summer Deity outfit was great, so please take this as constructive criticism: There needs to be a better way of letting the player-base know that this is going on. Definitely something on Glyph, since we're all being forced to do it, and maybe even something in the Rift Shop.

Rift Disciple

Default Re: MaAS and Advertising for the Last Concept Art Contest

Quote Originally Posted by MaAS View Post
    My wife and I's biggest criticism for the contest was actually lack of advertising. We were on Rift daily for the almost all of Summerfest and neither us, nor the friend we primarily play with, even knew the contest was going on. This was very different from last year's Halloween costume contest when I knew it was going on for weeks. Where was it announced? It certainly wasn't on Glyph, as near as I could tell.

I love the costume contests, and despite many of the comments on this thread I thought the Summer Deity outfit was great, so please take this as constructive criticism: There needs to be a better way of letting the player-base know that this is going on. Definitely something on Glyph, since we're all being forced to do it, and maybe even something in the Rift Shop.
    I agree that there was a critical lack of advertising for the last concept art contest. My wife and I didn't even know that this latest costume contest was going on. But, given the disappointing results of the staff, sword, and cape design contest, I didn't bother mentioning this issue because our enthusiasm for submitting entries has cooled off.

This is my costume. Not very summery, but at least it took a little effort
    [No longer an active player]

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Wonk View Post
    I think if all the players here who thought the choices were bad had entered the contest, then it's okay to be disappointed, on the other hand, if you did not post an entry and come here to insult the choices, it's in poor taste, unless you can do better, as the old saying goes...
    Players dont't have to be a part of a competetion to see that the winners were rubbish mate.

I think we would have had better results with concept art submissions, like the cape and 2h weapons. But, got to work with what they have.

I hope this continues, and we'll see improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackinstick View Post
    Players dont't have to be a part of a competetion to see that the winners were rubbish mate.
    Where's your entry? Point is, it's easy to insult and judge, like a person who scoffs at a bad flute player, yet can't play a note themselves... consider before throwing stones.
    I Rift, therefore I am.

Ascendant

Just out of curiosity: has anybody seen the more debatable costumes in game? Up to now, I have seen the summer deity costume 3 or 4 times, and not a single one of the other 4 costumes. This might be totally random, or maybe the market will take care of this on its own...

Champion of Telara TheDoomgiver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elayara View Post
    Just out of curiosity: has anybody seen the more debatable costumes in game? Up to now, I have seen the summer deity costume 3 or 4 times, and not a single one of the other 4 costumes. This might be totally random, or maybe the market will take care of this on its own...
    i've not yet seen the summer diety costume, but seen half a dozen crit me baby costumes, all on females, ofc.

Quote Originally Posted by Elayara View Post

I've seen one Diety costume. The others are so easy to miss though. Only the diety one looks like a put together costume set.
    [No longer an active player]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast