+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 29 ... LastLast
Like Tree451Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: How can Rift be better? Taking it to Trion Edition!

Rift Disciple

Default Re: shp and Shattered and the Issue of Rift's Flavor

Quote Originally Posted by shp View Post
    2. Ditch steam-punk/techy nonsense and move back to fully epic fantasy setting. Lots of SL content was really anti-climatic, dungeons didn't feel the same. After hearing data-mined 3.0 soundtrack I have high hopes you actually realized that. That theme sounded great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shattered View Post
    1) I have mentioned this before, wanting to return to a more fantasy, less TRON feel. The SL zones feel in large part like someone took Mathosia and put it in a blender. I like one distinct feel for a zone, and I prefer a more fantasy setting like Silverwood and Moonshade Highlands. The SL zones (except perhaps Ashora) are just unnatural and grotesque. This is a planet, not a conglomeration of planes.
    As one who loves the general unorthodox art style of Rift, I have to agree with Shattered that I get "blender vibes" from Storm Legion content. In particular, I perceived, from my perspective, these lore-based problems:
    • Mathosia vs. Brevane and Dusken: Rift's concept of Telara seemed to change between Mathosia and the Storm Legion continents of Brevane and Dusken. In Mathosia, it seemed like Telara was a more pure medieval fantasy land in which magitech contrasted as more magical, the interplanar invaders contrasted as purely fantastic elemental forces, and the tears in the Ward felt more menacing. But, in Brevane and Dusken, this contrast was blurred to the point that everything got a blender treatment: Magitech seems mundane and more purely technological in nature. And interplanar forces seem to fit right into Telara now, especially in terms of really humanizing them with the human face of the Storm Legion and the human behavior of the Bloodfire invaders and, conversely, making Telara seem more like a weird, fantastic place in and of itself. As a result of this, many players have felt that Rift lost much of its flavor in the Rift: Storm Legion expansion.
      • Solution: Self-explanatory--reestablish the said contrasts and build upon them. These contrasts helped attract a lot of players to Rift, including myself and my wife.
    • "Magitech"?: Rift's concept of magitech is not clearly defined and clearly presented. As such, it falls into the trap of being misinterpreted as regular technology in general. Because of this unqualified image of "magitech", many people mistakenly believe that this makes the Guardians "anti-technology" and "anti-Science" (another can of worms which explains why the Defiants are more popular than the Guardians).
      • Solution: Use in-game quests, out of game things like books and/or comics, and/or straightforward explanations via Rift's website to explain what "magitech" is and develop its concept better. And while doing this, better articulate exactly what about "magitech" the Guardians oppose.
    Beyond that:
    • Faceless, Monolithic NPC Factions: After exploring the continent of Mathosia and getting our feet wet in Rift, the players should have explored the various aspects of the NPC societies which made up the Defiant and the Guardian factions. After all, before Rift was released, Trion Worlds made a lot of hype out of the fact that Rift had its own lore team who were giving Telara rich lore. But, instead, the Rift team forgot about them as just faceless questgivers and moved on to creating new faceless questgivers in Brevane and Dusken. As a result, Telara feels like a cold, empty, dead place.
      • Solution: Self-explanatory--put the Rift lore team to work and have them explore the lore behind existing NPC factions in detail before hastily introducing new ones. In doing this, have them monetize this task by writing actual books which accompany the events in this game.
    • ... ? ...
    To be honest, I have to stop here and agree with the people who have criticized Rift as having "bland lore". Not in the sense that it actually has "bland lore", but in the sense that Rift's lore is fundamentally underdeveloped and, because of this, it is suffering an identity crisis lore-wise and, by extension, gameplay-wise. I honestly couldn't tell you "what Rift is" beyond the bare basics (i.e. the basic premise, some quest justification in general) at this point. All I know is that it isn't Super Mario Bros, Call of Duty, or Metroid.

That's ... not a good place to be. You can't successfully brand what has no real distinctiveness. And that's probably why Rift's marketing department is stuck in neutral right now.

I'm relatively content with the quality of life updates Trion releases. They seem to come at a good pace and as long as that continues I'm a happy camper. But here are some other thoughts:

INVASIONS/ZONE EVENTS
    I feel like Zone Events/Invasions could use some love. They've operated the way they currently do for a long time, and there are definitely some improvements to make them more exciting.

Invasions travel the map only as long as it takes to find a place to set up a foothold. Regardless of whether a foothold exists for that plane, invasions will flock there and then just... stay there. Just last night I wiped out a bunch of stacked invasions, and while destroying 20+ invasions in one place is satisfying, it just doesn't feel like much fun.

I think if an invasion spawns, it should roam the map until it finds a blank foothold spawn. If all of the footholds are up, invasions should have a chance to either stay there to reinforce it (perhaps more likely the closer the foothold is to a town) or they should continue to march.

They should also be happy to attack quest hubs. If all of the NPCs are dead, spawn a foothold and leave a single invasion there, the rest march. It will feel like a threat worth taking care of, but if someone is soloing they should be able to take down a single foothold by themselves. Quest hubs should probably be able to destroy two invasions if they attack at once, but also their health should not replenish immediately. Perhaps healers should be able to replenish the health of NPCs, just like we can fix up wardstones?

I know previously hubs were overrun and solo players (I've been there!) were unable to quest. Burning Out debuffs mean it's not going to be a problem until a nice high level comes to fix it, and if the invasions are more spread out if means a solo player could put strategy into place to get to their hubs, rather than seeing a stack of 500 mobs and logging off for the night.
    (That said, a single very large foothold in a prominent place of the zone, as a hub for planar mobs? Would be brutal. Make them walk the perimeter a bit though, don't just stack them.)

MOBS
    A long shot, but mobs could stand to have slightly more complex behaviours. If you outlevel a mob, it should all for reinforcements! One or two mobs nearby should come running if the mob you're attacking is sufficiently threatened, particularly the humanoid mobs.
    If you significantly outlevel a mob, many should cower in your presence. Perhaps if you startle enough low level mobs, there's a chance for them to call out a large mob that matches your level and gives level-appropriate loot.

FLUFF
    I love me some fluff items, but my favourite ones are the items that spawn in the world, like the campfires. Impromptu dance parties around a campfire are awesome. I want more of these! Let me spawn entire teaparties, and balloons, and trees, and all sorts of things.
    Please, though; if Fluff items could be turned into abilities, it would make me use them ALL THE TIME. All the time. It would make storage space less of an issue and it could be stored in the spells or character window under their own tab. Please please please.

Another long shot, but towns and hubs could use a few RPG things. Static things are fine - in large camps just leave an empty tent with a bed for me to rest in. I'd love if towns had an inn, with a bartender and some beds. I don't roleplay with others, but sometimes I'm in the mood to have my elf settle down in a bed in Sanctum, rather than having to rough it on a bench. I know I have my dimension, but sometimes you want to stay in the city!

OTHER
    I would love, love, love an auto mentor feature. Please note I want it to be a toggle, and OPT-IN - you have to actively select it for it to happen. I would really love on occasion to be able to traverse Telara and have the whole place be a small challenge, rather than having to stop at zone borders and mentor. Particularly if I'm hunting Planar achievements.

Crafting needs some love, guys. I don't know what exactly needs fixing, but it needs to be relevant and fun. Maybe some random crafting quests that spawn around the world? Just a random NPC traveler who needs a certain item crafted. Repeatable quests with no special rewards, they'd be like dailies except... not daily.

I've said it everywhere and I'll keep saying it - Shimmersand is my favourite zone because of all the little random things that happen. Shimmersand feels alive. You're just roaming around, minding your own business, and BOOM! There's a bunch of people playing football with a skull. Oh noes, that person's wife has been taken! oh no, it's just a bunch of thugs trying to rob me. These little things give the whole world life. Keep them up.

Telaran

I would love for them to go over the game and make it make sense.
    There's a lot of redundant boring things that really need to be looked at.

Eg. Mana for the first 50 levels. It regens so fast that it's essentially pointless. And with mana being pointless, mana intensive fights are pointless, potions pointless, the proffs to make potions pointless, buffs to buff mana pointless, stats which increase mana are also pointless.

I understand if you want to hold new players hands for the first few levels. But at this stage to new players there's a entire chunk of the game play missing.

There's a lot of other sort of 'empty' features that were once relevant but sort got forgotten about, and now just sit in the game taking space and adding clutter.

That aside I'd like housing to be made a little better. For instance the sale of 'plans', or pre-made items in a player community. For instance if you put together some complex array of planks and stuff that took hours to build and looks awesome you should be able to sell the arrangement to other players.

Ascendant

Post 2 of the longer post several pages back (couldn't get back in to my account login until just now).

These are more minor issues (in terms of importance).

1.) Less focus on the 1% and more on the bulk of the player base. Let me preface this by saying that this has nothing to do with me not liking raiding. Anyone who knows me from these forums knows I post in raid threads often and I do myself raid. I think challenging raid content should exist. However I think if you look at SL there was way to much 20 man raiding that was done for an EXTREMELY small portion of the playerbase and not enough 10 mans, 5 mans, chronicles and raid rifts. I don't know why Rift did away with dungeon tiers. Especially with the release of later dungeons its unspeakably silly to not have them scale with the "level" of the playerbase throughout the life of the live game. I also think we need a bridge between 5 mans and raids in terms of gear/difficulty. Master modes need to return but this time do them right with appropriate rewards. The reason they failed before was because there was little to no purpose served in doing them. Here's an example of the tier cycle in SL and how I think it should have gone.

Expert Dungeons------>D&R tier 1 2x 5 mans beyond expert difficulty (lets say for the sake of argument that both RoTD and RtDSM should have fallen here). 1x MM 5 man Tier 1, 2x 10 man raid. 1x 20 man (with activated hard modes).

I think thats how each tier should work. Now the 5 mans would all likely fall into that tier 1 category but as gear creeps its possible they might fall into the same currency bracket as the tier 1 master modes. Master Modes, 10 mans and 20 mans would all advance in tiers like we have in the current system. But by increasing ways to "gear up" you make 20 mans more accessible and having 1 per tier allows for larger, more elaborate and more epic 20 mans. I'm a fan of the "wing" structure that WoW employed with several larger raids, allowing for progress to be saved more easily without tiring out the raiding party with a marathon 5 hour run.

2.) Normalize Instanced PVP. Honestly this should have been done when it was originally tested. Time has shown it to be the case as the instanced pvp game is more bursty than ever especially in late night matches where you have rank mid 60 players vs max rank players. This doesn't mean your progress doesn't matter, its just that in those matches with huge disparities, the gap is closed to make skill more of the determining factor.

3.) Better World Events and a return to invasions of old. This has been talked about but I'll just reiterate here. Especially in new content zones, with instant adventures and carnage quests playing a big part in leveling, there is no reason that invasions should be the pathetic forces they are now. They used to completely take over a hub until wiped out. You can even have a little tent spawn outside a taken over hub with the quest turn in npcs (like the fae yule huts) and then more could be done with wardstones that get taken over (spawning stronger invasions or even bosses). World events is another thing. Not promo events mind you, but the actual world events have been lackluster since the first anniversary. Look at Waves of Madness as a blueprint to what a world event should be. That was epic!

Thats all I have, more if I think of anything.
    Last edited by Khelendross; 07-25-2014 at 06:26 AM.
    Planar Breach Support Open World PVP and PVE!
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

Champion of Telara

Another thing - they really need to address the persistent issues with Glyph. Not sure how they do not see a new thread every day with someone else having issues. When I don't have issues with it re-downloading it, I have no problems with it. The issue is still that it really should be put a little more into the forefront on getting folks help with it.

Issues with Glyph

1) What it is, a patch client - they need to emphasize this is not DRM
    2) The store is a subset of the patcher and is there for convenience
    3) The re-downloading itself issue - they need nail this one down.
    4) The region selection issue - again need to nail it down

5) Announce when Glyph is getting updated like they announce patch notes for Rift. This will let people know when Glyph should be downloading itself vs the patch client being buggy

6) Put a visible Support link in Glyph for Glyph issues.
    7) address some user's security concerns.

I know they can't make people read but adding some announcements and adverts for Glyph on the Rift web page linking to better information for users'

Please Trion, please.
    Mouse wheel - let the hard coded mouse wheel loose.
    I want to keybind it to what I choose the best of it.
    I dont want it to be set to camera zoom, we could have at least 8 abilities/macros for the scroll wheel (shift/ctrl/alt+mouse wheel up/down)

This is requested since beta... from many players including me.

I will sub you for at least a year if this is done.

Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by orlan View Post
    im pretty sure it was cerealkiller

Some wonderful ideas in this thread- thank you all for chiming in! We will be leaving Monday morning and arriving early afternoon. If I can, I will try to update you guys from my room at the end of the day as to what we did, saw, etc. As much as can be allowed, that is.
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Khelendross View Post
    Post 2 of the longer post several pages back (couldn't get back in to my account login until just now).

These are more minor issues (in terms of importance).

1.) Less focus on the 1% and more on the bulk of the player base. Let me preface this by saying that this has nothing to do with me not liking raiding. Anyone who knows me from these forums knows I post in raid threads often and I do myself raid. I think challenging raid content should exist. However I think if you look at SL there was way to much 20 man raiding that was done for an EXTREMELY small portion of the playerbase and not enough 10 mans, 5 mans, chronicles and raid rifts. I don't know why Rift did away with dungeon tiers. Especially with the release of later dungeons its unspeakably silly to not have them scale with the "level" of the playerbase throughout the life of the live game. I also think we need a bridge between 5 mans and raids in terms of gear/difficulty. Master modes need to return but this time do them right with appropriate rewards. The reason they failed before was because there was little to no purpose served in doing them. Here's an example of the tier cycle in SL and how I think it should have gone.

Expert Dungeons------>D&R tier 1 2x 5 mans beyond expert difficulty (lets say for the sake of argument that both RoTD and RtDSM should have fallen here). 1x MM 5 man Tier 1, 2x 10 man raid. 1x 20 man (with activated hard modes).

I think thats how each tier should work. Now the 5 mans would all likely fall into that tier 1 category but as gear creeps its possible they might fall into the same currency bracket as the tier 1 master modes. Master Modes, 10 mans and 20 mans would all advance in tiers like we have in the current system. But by increasing ways to "gear up" you make 20 mans more accessible and having 1 per tier allows for larger, more elaborate and more epic 20 mans. I'm a fan of the "wing" structure that WoW employed with several larger raids, allowing for progress to be saved more easily without tiring out the raiding party with a marathon 5 hour run.

2.) Normalize Instanced PVP. Honestly this should have been done when it was originally tested. Time has shown it to be the case as the instanced pvp game is more bursty than ever especially in late night matches where you have rank mid 60 players vs max rank players. This doesn't mean your progress doesn't matter, its just that in those matches with huge disparities, the gap is closed to make skill more of the determining factor.

3.) Better World Events and a return to invasions of old. This has been talked about but I'll just reiterate here. Especially in new content zones, with instant adventures and carnage quests playing a big part in leveling, there is no reason that invasions should be the pathetic forces they are now. They used to completely take over a hub until wiped out. You can even have a little tent spawn outside a taken over hub with the quest turn in npcs (like the fae yule huts) and then more could be done with wardstones that get taken over (spawning stronger invasions or even bosses). World events is another thing. Not promo events mind you, but the actual world events have been lackluster since the first anniversary. Look at Waves of Madness as a blueprint to what a world event should be. That was epic!

Thats all I have, more if I think of anything.
    Number 1 on this list is my main concern and is exactly what i was getting at. I think this will have the biggest overall effect on enjoyment at end game and player population/ player retention.

Number 3 Definately revamp the zone events. Not going into detail as everyone else already have.

There are some aspects which could be improved:
    (in descending order)

- Documentation: lack of it and of mechanic related guides, leads to necesity to test everything yourself, instead of actually playing. Which might be "a little" frustrating, in case one's time is limited. (e.g. information regarding soft caps, hard caps, diminishings, spell-damage formulas; There is no explanation inside-the-game regarding cc immunities and cc categories, at all; and even if found on the forums - it's quite vague)

- Professions: newcomers will hardly understand why crafting professions are so close to worthless, on low levels. And if they aren't usefull now, one will question if there is a point in leveling this time/money sink to higher levels.

- Playstyle freedom: having soul trees is amazing. It provides a large variety of choices, and I love 'playing' with talent calculator. But it seems to me, that that variaty is somewhat illusory, as there is quite limited pool of viable choices for any given task.

- Consistency: the higher is the item's quality and level, the better should be the stats. (e.g. summerfest lvl 50 epic staff which is ok'ish, but suddenly there are lvl 50-51 rare staves that are much better)
    Last edited by MaxQuest; 07-26-2014 at 12:41 AM.

Soulwalker

this seems like more of a reward for white knighting then as a chance for trion to make improvements.

Additional explanation and follow up to my original question with a blog post:

http://www.dimensiongallery.com/my-w...age-solutions/

Quote Originally Posted by helpmetrion View Post
    this seems like more of a reward for white knighting then as a chance for trion to make improvements.
    We still have no real clue -why- we're going out. Trion didn't put me up to this to make improvements, I put up the post because I care what the community has to say. Trion has said that they want to hear our feedback (those of us going) so I thought it would be nice to extend the offer to bring along some good feedback from other players not selected for the trip.

You can call the trip whatever you want, but anyone who posts around the forums should know that I find anyone who thinks the term "white knighting" is a defamatory/derogatory term is hilarious. Do you really think that rubs us the wrong way?

So thank you for recognizing what I do on the forums in a nice manner. It's the reason the white armor is in my avatar photo.

Again guys, thank you so much for putting all of these together. I doubt I'll be keeping quite as close an eye on this thread tomorrow as I'll be getting ready and certainly not on Monday. I'll see how ilex is going to submit her updates and might follow along with that if we're allowed to post information and photos.

Also thank you to those that sent their well wishes. I plan to make the most of the trip!

Rift Disciple

Default Re: Techie Will

Quote Originally Posted by Techie Will View Post
    We still have no real clue -why- we're going out.
    So, from your silence, I take it that you won't be, at the very least, taking pictures of what it is like in the mysterious world of Trion Worlds' offices?

Quote Originally Posted by LungingWolf View Post
    So, from your silence, I take it that you won't be, at the very least, taking pictures of what it is like in the mysterious world of Trion Worlds' offices?
    I'll be taking photos of what we can for sure. That might just be of landing in San Francisco and the outside of the office, but if we can get some quick photographs inside the office that would be great too. I'm sure they don't want us standing over peoples shoulders and taking a video of what they're working on though.

I've only been informed there is no gag-order on us telling people we're going, but we also have only been provided the details of we're meeting with some from Trion on Monday night for dinner, and then in the office all day on Tuesday.

Shadowlander

Let me start off by saying RIFT is an awesome game, but defiantly needs work.

1. PvP in RIFT can get old very swiftly. Warfronts are good and all, but what about rated warfronts, or even arenas. We need something that the PvP community can compete into. Without competition PvP just gets old and bland.
    I suggest making more warfronts (which is actually something Trion does, *golf clap*) or arenas. Also, make something competitive, such as ranked/rated Warfronts or arenas.
    2.Enable de-leveling for raids. Such as going back to lower level raids when you are high level.
    3. Certain soul trees need to be re-evaluated and re-tweaked.

RIFT has the potential to become the biggest MMORPG. It just needs more tweaks and experience inn terms of content.
    Keep up the good work Trion.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 29 ... LastLast