+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Tollwutig
  • 1 Post By Tollwutig

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Please Report Glyph Concerns Here

Default Please Report Glyph Concerns Here

I want all of us to take a more positive approach towards Glyph, as DRM, as hateful and inconvenient as it may be, is proven to make the lives of devs a lot easier. In the long term, I see this translate into better games, and the more games that don't require STEAM, imo, the better.

My list of concerns are:
    Auto-detection of previous installation issue.
    Auto-detection of closest server (EU/NA)
    Not displaying whether connected to Glyph servers or not.
    Not displaying whether "offline" status (in game button) is a local issue, or server issue due to maintenance.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Tearius View Post
    I want all of us to take a more positive approach towards Glyph, as DRM, as hateful and inconvenient as it may be, is proven to make the lives of devs a lot easier. In the long term, I see this translate into better games, and the more games that don't require STEAM, imo, the better.
    First it isn't DRM. MMOs don't require DRM as they require an account to play. It is a Game Patcher. Good idea to put all the bugs\concerns into a single thread, but best not to spread mis-information. Glyph is no more DRM that the Rift Patcher.

Champion of Telara

Item - Glyph needs to at least minimize to the system tray once a game launches. There it should be idle using only enough CPU\Mem to detect when the game actually closes. It really shouldn't be using any other resources while the game is open. While the game is open it should never look for updates to itself or new advertisements.

An option should be added to have Glyph completely close itself out when a game is actually launched.

Not everyone uses multiple monitors and Alt-Tabbing through extra windows to get back into Rift is annoying.
    Last edited by Tollwutig; 07-03-2014 at 09:50 AM.

There's a ton of subscription based MMO's on Steam. The definition of DRM: an application that requires a persistent online connection that you are forced to use to run media including music, movies and video games.

Also the argument that because it is free it is not DRM is irrelevant. Many free games utilize DRM software regardless.

FYI, WOW uses the official Battle.net application now, a DRM, in case you missed that.

Champion of Telara

There's a ton of subscription based MMO's on Steam. The definition of DRM: an application that requires a persistent online connection that you are forced to use to run media including music, movies and video games.

Also the argument that because it is free it is not DRM is irrelevant. Many free games utilize DRM software regardless.

FYI, WOW uses the official Battle.net application now, a DRM, in case you missed that.
    Don't play WoW so yep missed that. DRM is anything that prevents you from un-authorzied usage of digital media. MMOs handle DRM by the simple fact that you log into an account. Go ahead and try to play Rift or even WoW offline. You're still confusing a patcher with DRM.

6.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #6

My list of concerns are:
    Auto-detection of previous installation issue.
    Auto-detection of closest server (EU/NA)
    Not displaying whether connected to Glyph servers or not.
    Not displaying whether "offline" status (in game button) is a local issue, or server issue due to maintenance.
    1. Unfortunately there are no easy ways to detect every manner of installation a user may have done, or every place a user may have installed it. We are working on these issues however
    2. Would you want it to auto detect on first usage, or auto detect every time?
    3. Can you elaborate, what do you mean by connected to Glyph servers?
    4. If the server is offline it is due to maintenance, not a local issue.

Additionally, Glyph is actually DRM free. You are probably looking for a different word, which amounts for some of the confusion answered by other users in this thread. DRM means we're keeping you from playing the game with software if we think you've stolen it. Glyph doesn't do anything like that. For RIFT that would be especially odd since RIFT is Free to Play so DRM doubly doesn't make sense.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    [LIST=1]
    Additionally, Glyph is actually DRM free. You are probably looking for a different word, which amounts for some of the confusion answered by other users in this thread. DRM means we're keeping you from playing the game with software if we think you've stolen it. Glyph doesn't do anything like that. For RIFT that would be especially odd since RIFT is Free to Play so DRM doubly doesn't make sense.
    I think people are getting confused because someone compared Glyph to EA's Origin. Which is a DRM system as it prevents you from playing games like Kingdom of Amalar or Dragon Age II unless your install is properly linked to your account.

Default Replying to Ocho

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    1. Unfortunately there are no easy ways to detect every manner of installation a user may have done, or every place a user may have installed it. We are working on these issues however
    2. Would you want it to auto detect on first usage, or auto detect every time?
    3. Can you elaborate, what do you mean by connected to Glyph servers?
    4. If the server is offline it is due to maintenance, not a local issue.

Thank you for getting back at me regarding my concerns. I will answer in order:

Regarding installation: That is completely understandable. A small installation message would suffice, so people would not have to guess that it is capable of accepting an old installation whether with Rift patcher or steam.

For example, saying "If you have previously installed this game on your computer, you do not need to install it again. Simply specify the game's directory of your previous installation and we'll take it from there." would have saved half the outbursts I saw on launch.

Auto-Detect based on last use would be fine, even if using for the first time. It is already on EU by default right now.

Connection: It means it just does not say whether I have lost connection to the server, the internet all together, or just the specific server. In other words, it does not specify what kind of cause or status of "offline" it displays.

Thank you for clarifying the meaning of DRM (Digital Resource Management). I understand that Glyph is a platform that allows the users to run certain games.

Glyph not being optional immediately caused it to fall into the DRM category of the platform umbrella for me. Again this is my opinion, not a by-the-book definition.

People should stop associating DRM with bad things however. We came a long way from the offline world of the 90's and DRM is starting to grow on me. Most consumer machines are almost useless without internet nowadays anyway.
    Last edited by Tearius; 07-03-2014 at 03:03 PM.

If you give it the wrong password, it gives the network operation error back, even tho you are connected, firewall working, etc.
    This leads the user to click off the error box and go on to press log in, with the same password, since it is not removed. I know because i ended up reclicking LOGIN several times, till it hit me.
    Last edited by Nasacrim; 07-03-2014 at 03:25 PM.

Prophet of Telara

My issue with Glyph.

I purchased Bard's Tale (offline game) and could not access it while my internet was down due to being unable to log into Glyph. If I purchase an offline game, I think it only makes sense to be able to play it offline.

Prophet of Telara

You can play Rift with out using Glyph. Google is your friend. Trion can't force you to use 3rd party software to play their game.

Reason why Blizzard is kind enough to offer their customers a option to use their b.net app. You can't force users to use such things. Just learn to launch Rift and update it with out Glyph you will be a happier customer.

The fact you called Glyph DRM pretty much made me say "yeah ignore everything else because they don't even know what the software does.". Then after saying positive youhad to throw out how " hateful" it is. Pretty much stopped at "hateful"... Yeah.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

+ Reply to Thread