+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: I Hate Glyph!

Loving reading all the over zealous hate for Glyph (I'm not a fan of it btw).

Most of the comments are simply ranting just to rant imo. None of them so far has presented a credible reason to oppose it.

No, its not a marketing launcher.
    No, it's not heavy in the least bit on resources.

Many major devs are going for these all-in-one launcher-type programs to central desktop approach to managing the games they make. Blizzard did this with Battlenet Launcher and Steam is a great example of this working among different developers and providing an outlet to shop for new titles, as well as managing your game account settings. The majority of players are amateur at best at computer skills, so many devs like the idea of having something like this to help simplify access to their games.

No one complained about the interface systems of the Nintendo Wii, DS, Xbox 360/One, Playstation 3/4, PSP, which pretty much do the same things and then some. It makes even more sense, because you don't have to use discs to play games anymore since they can be downloaded.

Just give it time. People have a hard time accepting change. I doubt people will quit RIFT over this. And if so, let them go. They obviously have way more problems to deal with.
    Last edited by Practicelap; 07-07-2014 at 10:47 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Practicelap View Post
    No, its not a marketing launcher.
    That's the problem. It is.

Let me ask you something: How many of those games on Glyph were you fully-aware of their existence before it was shown there? One or two? Maybe three?

Perhaps you need to understand what marketing is. You are being sold more programs through an interface masquerading as a "Launcher." That is called "Marketing."

Am I claiming that other companies don't use the same tactic? Nope. That's be ridiculously fallacious. At the same time, I go out of my way to bypass those same marketing device on virtually every platform. I do not use Steam. I use disc-base gaming when I can. I don't use Nintendo's or Microsoft's online stores. And I advise all my customers to do the same.

Rift Chaser

i love the thing and have been using it for sometime now, even before they made everyone. It has all the games i play in one spot just click and go.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Wulf View Post

Let me ask you something: How many of those games on Glyph were you fully-aware of their existence before it was shown there? One or two? Maybe three?

Perhaps you need to understand what marketing is. You are being sold more programs through an interface masquerading as a "Launcher." That is called "Marketing."

Am I claiming that other companies don't use the same tactic? Nope. That's be ridiculously fallacious. At the same time, I go out of my way to bypass those same marketing device on virtually every platform. I do not use Steam. I use disc-base gaming when I can. I don't use Nintendo's or Microsoft's online stores. And I advise all my customers to do the same.
    You seem quite upset to the point of conspiracy. I understand what marketing is, however I'm not sure you know the difference in the type of marketing used that you're accusing these companies of taking part in. By your definition, me having a signature under my posts is me advertising myself to you. You see how far you can take that? I hope you don't use Facebook.... or the internet in general...... or watch tv..... or use a cell phone........or listen to the radio..... or go out in public at all. How did you even find RIFT in the first place? A friend showed it to you? Congrats, that's advertising too. Oh you said you have customers? Well how do you not know someone doesn't approve of your marketing techniques? You immune to criticism too?

Marketing by definition is making people aware of your product. Sure. However, in the format Glyph and Battlenet launchers display the games, they aren't actively selling you those games. They are there so that all of their products show up on one screen whether you own one or more than that.
    Steam is different in which it is a central portal to buy multiple games. That's why its in a storefront format.
    The consoles are in between since they offer both functions.

But that's not necessarily a bad thing which is the point that I'm making. By the simple definition anything you learned, bought, ate, interacted with etc. was marketed to you. It's just a way of life.

Now, how desperate that marketing is to get your attention is a whole different story. Cold calls, telemarketing, late night infomercials, $3 million Super Bowl ads; that stuff goes a little too far.
    Last edited by Practicelap; 07-07-2014 at 11:26 AM.

Rift Disciple

Hi,

Glyph works / worked for me without any problems.

But, it needs several options:

1) Close-on-launch: Automatically close after launching Rift.

-- It seems to use about 80MB, too much to leave running. Anyways, why leave it running?

-- Alt-tab to close it is a pain.

-- Alt-tab at particular points during the Rift launch puts Rift in an unresponsive / unusable state. (I find that if I alt-tab out of Rift very quickly after it launches a failure is almost guaranteed.)

2) Always-login: Always login; never store password or authenticator values, even temporarily.

-- Security 101. You should already know this. As a reviewer, I would have refused to approve Gylph in its current state.

3) Direct-lauch: Automatically launch a selected game following login.

-- Simple convenience. Could easily be done with a check-box or drop-down on the login/authentication panel.

-- This is a distict from 'close-on-launch' and 'always-login'.

Also, the panel aesthetics are muddled: The button size and color don't match the rest of the view, and the right side panel colors and proportions are off.

Thx!

P
    Last edited by Pandorus; 07-07-2014 at 12:43 PM.

Shadowlander

I have had no issue getting Glyph to work. Sure, the initial download took for-f-ing-ever, but other than that it has been running smoothly for me.

My big issue with it is that I only play Rift. I have no interest in adding any of Trion's other games to that (well maybe Arche Age if it ever stops being $50 for the lowest subscription level). Its not like the Blizzard launcher where I played three of their four games and enjoyed having all of them in one place. I miss being able to quickly access Rift news and updates.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Glyph is the actual RIFT Launcher, with a new front end and some additional features added. But no, keeping the old front end and maintaining multiple versions was not an option.
    Keeping my business was not an option as well then.

i hate to say it, but long gone are the days of loading games from cassette or even floppy disks

fwiw, i was only unaware of 2 of the games in the glyph store. Regardless, when i launch glyph, it doesnt open the store when launched. If it did, I might accept your claim for marketing launcher. It does not, you have to choose to open the store when you want yto see it.

Far different than Steam or any other marketing launcher I have evenr seen. The old Rift launcher had adverts in it, mostly of their own productions, but not exclusively. In fact the adverts in the new glyph launcher seem to have less of a starring role then they did with the old launcher. The size is smaller and far less, in your face for me as they dont take up 1/3 of the perceptual range of view like the old launcher. Not to mention the oversized (love it) play button really focuses your attention on it, rather than the flashing adverts of the old launcher.

I appreciat your POV, but from where Im sitting, it seems to be a small minority. Are there changes one might suggest, sure. Most have already mentioned over the last 5 days and likely we will see some feedback chnages over the coming weeks.

But as stated in this thread and others, there will likely come a time when the old launcher will be disabled and there will be no choice but to use glyph, and from a support standpoint, I would disable it. So, thank you for your support of Rift and I hope things change your perceptions as Trion takes in the feedback and perhaps make changes with some of the suggestions given, but I doubt it will be anywhere near what you prefer based upon your comments in this thread.

Happy gaming.

T

Quote Originally Posted by psychostimpy View Post
    I've seen a number of folks state the same thing above, including the moderators. This is no longer a "launcher". This is essentially a service running in the background now. This is not just a, "largly aesthetic" change. People state, "well you can close it". I don't want to install it in the first place nor do I want a game hub. Steam is the worst. If steam ever goes away most of those games people have purchased are gone. Better review the terms of service for each of your game hubs. I'll stick to buying games outside of game hubs.

Glyph came as a surprise to me. I've been playing Rift off and on since it was first released. It's been probably a week since I've logged in so I haven't been aware of the Glyph change. Other than maybe showing something in the launcher was an email sent to the community?

I for one do not like the way the industry is going. All these game companies moving to these game hub clients. I also saw a moderator state that information is not shared. That true but I'm sure their new game hub (Glyph) is pulling in plenty of new data for Trion. I come from the big data world and I have seen how companies continue to reach further and further into their user community's data. They provide free and/or cheap games at the cost of your information to help shape their marketing.

I may play again, in the future, if things change. I can do without another game hub client. Thank you for the fun Rift developers! It's been a great game. I see the backlash from so many Rift players but we're all individuals and I am merely stating my own opinion. If your happy with the change, Rift on!

Take care, and don't forget there is a real world out there waiting to be explored!
    Sounds like your problem is with DRM and not with game hubs. Glyph is DRM free. If Glyph shuts down you will not lose any of the games that you purchased from it.

If you want to be up-in-arms about it, though, that's your business.
    Rahka@Wolfsbane

Why do I hate Glyph? Because it's yet another marketing "launcher" that I have no need for! How many Trion games do I play? Well, really, none, but I'm trying to get interested in one because a friend plays. How many other games do I care about from Trion? Zero. How many other games do I have interest in looking at? Zero.

I'll put it this way: I don't use Arc, GoG, Origin, Steam, or most any other marketing launcher. The only reason I use B.net's is because I actually play three of the four games on it and they have yet to turn it into a way to steal from indie game designers. If a game "requires" the marketing launcher then I simply work around it. I did it for Star Trek Online, I did it for Neverwinter, I did it for Sims 3, I did it for WoW and Hearthstone until I got back into D3, and now I've done it for Rift. Plain and simple, I feel no need to install these craptastic money-grabs and data-miners. If they want my preferences then they can ASK me for the info.
    Very nicely written!

And why I hate it? IT DOES NOT WORK!!! I can't play anymore.
    Not that I don't have a real life, I actually play RIFT very seldomly. But I have friends in the game waiting for me, and now they don't even know where I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Petoffen View Post
    The reason for this change is Trion's profits as they want to be able to better push multiple products on you.

The problem besides that is that they did it in a broken way where the glyph installer forced on you is being reported by players to default to 'no Rift installed' and trying to reinstall it.
    I understand that trion wants to give a better way to to have easy access to their other games. But I honestly do not wish to play anything else but rift. To me its just another form of advertisement like any other company tries to promote. I honestly see the gain for them but to have a useless program like glyph run my own single game for me is purely insane. My game ran just fine without it and when I did install it, it causes streaming problems that caused so much lag it made the game 100% unplayable. Sure they are working on fixes for people who are having issue's, but no matter how many fixes, its just another program on my computer that I do not wish to have. I for one am glad people found a work around. Its easy to delete once you know the way to do it and I thank you deeply to those who posted as such.

I do agree that an option should be made to use it as an option and no a requirement.

This really isn't about people who hate change, its purely and clearly something placed on us that many do not wish to have and not affecting anything in our game play normally. Its about your own rights, an option of opinion and self worth.

Kudos to trion to better themselves. But this ascendant will remain without Glyph and keep playing Rift as I see fit.

12.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #102

Quote Originally Posted by Pandorus View Post
    Hi,

Glyph works / worked for me without any problems.

But, it needs several options:

1) Close-on-launch: Automatically close after launching Rift.

-- It seems to use about 80MB, too much to leave running. Anyways, why leave it running?

-- Alt-tab to close it is a pain.

-- Alt-tab at particular points during the Rift launch puts Rift in an unresponsive / unusable state. (I find that if I alt-tab out of Rift very quickly after it launches a failure is almost guaranteed.)

2) Always-login: Always login; never store password or authenticator values, even temporarily.

-- Security 101. You should already know this. As a reviewer, I would have refused to approve Gylph in its current state.

3) Direct-lauch: Automatically launch a selected game following login.

-- Simple convenience. Could easily be done with a check-box or drop-down on the login/authentication panel.

-- This is a distict from 'close-on-launch' and 'always-login'.

Also, the panel aesthetics are muddled: The button size and color don't match the rest of the view, and the right side panel colors and proportions are off.

Thx!

P
    1. That option is in the works.
    2. Password and authenticator information aren't stored. So there are no worries there.

Plane Touched

Glyph's features are fine. I don't care about the different launcher.

I care when it LOCKS then CRASHES MY COMPUTER.

If you log out of one account, and log into another account, then click "Play" as soon as it's available, the launcher sits are "Initializing Rift..." and does nothing. I can't kill the process because I can't get to the Task Manager. Control + Alt + Delete doesn't work. Control + Shift + Escape doesn't work. Start Menu, etc, does not work.

Literally all of Windows Explorer shell is unresponsive. The only way to get back control of my computer is to do a hard reset.

And I'm running the most recent version of the game, e.g. no patches need to be applied between logins.
    Last edited by Juxtaposed; 07-08-2014 at 11:19 AM.

Champion of Telara

For those concerned about the advertising portion it really isn't there anymore than the original Rift Patcher. It just changed sides. Here is my take on it

1) Advertisement as long as it stays as is, is okay. If it becomes like Origin where you have to close a pop-up advert for a different game to launch the one you want to play that would be bad. I hope Trion never follows this path.

2) Store is on a different tab from launcher. Please make sure the launcher tab is always the default.

4) Please change your Rift announcement rotation. Daglar's mug shot comes up WAY too often. He isn't bad looking but don't need him staring at me every time I launch Glyph.

5) The whole didn't recognize original disk installs of Rift, as mentioned in other threads, by Glyph was just EPIC FAIL on Trion's part. I understand you cannot test every iteration of the game install but not testing the original game disk install was just a huge gaping oversight.

6) Launching 2 days before a major US Holiday - poor timing and probably hasn't helped you in the CS department. 7/9 would have been a better date as still fewer people logging in yet you'd have staff on hand for damage control + troubleshooting.

7) Auto-closing on game launch in the works is good, (should already be in there) because even if you have the available resources Alt-Tabbing around it is a pain.

8) Whoever chooses the games in the Glyph store has a wholly different opinion of quality games than myself. This is fine, but please qualify it is what TRION thinks are quality games.

I'm Meh on Glyph, don't hate it don't love it. It's a launcher, all MMOs need launcher's to patch the client. This one make is slightly easier to log in with minimum intrusive advertisements.

I'm glad they are planning on a close on launch option. I don't mind Glyph all that much, I just miss the cool looking Rift launcher screen, and don't want a useless application running while I play.

For now, until they put this option in, I will keep closing Glyph manually after launching.

I don't use alt-tab though, I just hit that window icon button to take me to desktop when I am at character select screen and close Glyph and click on Rift in the tray.
    Shard: Shatterbone

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast