+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Initial Impressions from a 9 year WOW veteran

Soulwalker

Default Initial Impressions from a 9 year WOW veteran

Here is a quick review of my thoughts after playing Rift for about 10 days so far and making level 40.

My background is that I have played MMOs since Ultima Online and just stopped playing WOW after playing it for the past nine years. I finally got burned out on the never ending time sinks designed to keep me paying a monthly fee and said enough was enough. From now on I want to play games on my own terms as I hate the psychological pressure of feeling like I have to play a game because I am paying a monthly fee for it.

The Good
    1) Graphics look good.

2) Interface is well designed.

3) Nice payment model.

4) Leveling is fast and doesn't feel too grindy (at least not yet).

5) Versatility in character classes, being able to play multiple types of roles, etc.

6) Instant Adventures are a nice way to get XP fast.

7) Raiding looks like it will be fun and exciting on Youtube.

8) No flying mounts! YAY!

9) Underwater zones

The Bad
    1) Constant disconnects, especially in town. I have a premium tier Internet connection and don't have this issue with any other game. Some days are fine, no disconnects at all. Other days are so bad that I just throw up my hands and stop trying.

2) Laggy graphics. I have a beast of a computer that runs every other game I own buttery smooth at max settings. In order to get a smooth experience on Rift I have to turn off shadows and turn some of the other settings down and even then its not exactly what I would call silky smooth. Don't get me wrong, its playable (even with shadows turned on) but I am a bit spoiled. I haven't had choppy graphics in years and its annoying to have to put up with it here.

I can play Elder Scrolls Online, WOW, Skyrim, Guild Wars 2, Civilization 5, Starcraft 2, Dragon Age Origins, Wildstar, etc. at ultra settings with all features maxed out and everything is silky smooth. I can't do that with Rift, even though its a 3 year old game. What gives?

3) The skill system seems overly complex yet strangely uniform.

4) Boring and forgettable quests. Kill X of this, gather Y of that. Rinse and repeat.

5) Closing rifts gets old fast.

6) The theme for this game is pretty generic and unoriginal. Creatures from the planes are invading, yadda yadda yadda.

Other Observations
    1) People are generally nice, although there is the occasional jerk that you encounter.

2) Why is there no gravity in this game? I can jump off cliffs without hurting myself. Not a big deal, but seems a little strange.

3) Dimension are cool, but can they be made more useful please? Perhaps allow us to have chests to store items in them like a separate bank, or add vendors/healers/craft areas, etc. These could be very expensive and/or rare items. It would be nice if dimensions could be used for more things than just showing off your decorating ability.

Overall
    6/10 - I will keep playing until a better F2P game comes along. Perhaps EQ Next, I don't know. LOTRO and GW2 didn't really grab me and it seems to me that this is the best of the PVE -centric F2P MMOs.
    Last edited by WGButler; 07-01-2014 at 09:56 AM.

Greetings new snack,

RIFT operates on an old engine and is not optimized for higher end machines. It has been rumored that there will be some stability and visual upgrades coming with the next expansion (due by the end of the year, if not sooner). Also, ever since the F2P launch there have been some connectivity issues. I heard that these issues will be addressed if you bathe in butter and sage.

I am glad you are enjoying Telara and I cannot wait to eat you.

Greenscale
    "Those Lil Luggos smell SO delicious! I must have them..." - Lord Greenscale

Quote Originally Posted by WGButler View Post
    ... after playing it for the past nine years. I finally got burned out on the never ending time sinks designed to keep me paying a monthly fee ...
    You sir are every mmo's best friend. Only took you 9 years?

Chuckles from the Dark Side!!!

Haceldama
    Last edited by Haceldama; 07-01-2014 at 10:14 AM.

RIFT Guide Writer RoughRaptorsOld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WGButler View Post
    2) Why is there no gravity in this game? I can jump off cliffs without hurting myself. Not a big deal, but seems a little strange.
    Falling damage was sadly removed a long time ago. RIP :-(

Fall damage was removed because of a combination of QQ from people on PvP shards who got punted to their deaths on Ember Isle (I loved doing that =P ) and because of the bug that they've apparently been unable to fix where sometimes, as you are walking across a seemingly flat surface with possibly gentle curves, your character will "fall" a tiny distance but register an incredibly large falling distance, resulting in fatal amounts of fall damage.

It was rare, but folks who've been playing regularly since launch have probably experienced it. Granted, it was hilarious to see people ride around in town and just drop dead.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish~

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by RoughRaptors View Post
    I blame this on scarwood reach, people probably never leveled out of it with falling damage. They should add falling damage back to PvP just so I can hear the cries.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Greenscale View Post
    Greetings new snack,

RIFT operates on an old engine and is not optimized for higher end machines. It has been rumored that there will be some stability and visual upgrades coming with the next expansion (due by the end of the year, if not sooner). Also, ever since the F2P launch there have been some connectivity issues. I heard that these issues will be addressed if you bathe in butter and sage.

I am glad you are enjoying Telara and I cannot wait to eat you.

Greenscale
    There were some optimizations for lower end machines and they have been enjoyed so far.

Please don't eat me Lord Greenscale! I will get you more luggos right away! *runs*
    Last edited by Practicelap; 07-01-2014 at 10:42 AM.

Honestly, they need to optimize this game to the nines, I was happy to hear that had done some optimizations for lower end computers, but now it's time for high end computer optimizations

9.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #9

Quote Originally Posted by Necalli View Post
    Honestly, they need to optimize this game to the nines, I was happy to hear that had done some optimizations for lower end computers, but now it's time for high end computer optimizations
    Next big thing we're focused on is shadows, which makes a bigger impact than one might think.

Quote Originally Posted by RoughRaptors View Post
    Turning fall damage on for April 1st would be the funniest April fools day in MMO history...

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Next big thing we're focused on is shadows, which makes a bigger impact than one might think.
    Glad to hear! Thanks Ocho!

The only thing I see here is someone who thinks that how long they played another game somehow makes their opinion worth more than others.
    Rahka@Wolfsbane

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Haceldama View Post
    You sir are every mmo's best friend. Only took you 9 years?

Chuckles from the Dark Side!!!

Haceldama
    I know, right? I kept it going all those years usually because I had some friends playing and it was a way to stay connected with them.

In my defense there would be lapses where sometimes I would let my subscription expire and wouldn't play for several months at a time. But this brought its own set of problems as when I would come back I would be behind the curve on gear progression.

And I noticed that there would always be these never ending series of time sinks and busy work, and it was obvious that they were there to keep me paying a subscription fee. I can't stand being manipulated. Some people might say just pay for one month at a time, but I don't want to have to micromanage my entertainment like that, and the problem with subscriptions is that they make me feel like I should spend my leisure time playing the game or I'm wasting my money.

So no more of that for me, EVER. F2P from this point on or bust. There are too many other things I want to do with my free time than be obligated to one video game.

Rift is pretty revolutionary in many ways is it brings a WOW-type experience to players without obligating them to pay a monthly fee. Between Rift for PVE and GW2/Dota 2/League of Legends for PVP there is absolutely no reason to ever pay a subscription for a video game anymore.

Soulwalker

Removed because of accidental double post.
    Last edited by WGButler; 07-01-2014 at 01:03 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Crithappens View Post
    The only thing I see here is someone who thinks that how long they played another game somehow makes their opinion worth more than others.
    Not at all. Please reread my comments and then provide a quote where I stated that my opinion was worth more than someone else's.

I merely cited my history so that everyone would know what perspective I was coming from. If the developers ever read this (and it seems that they might since Ocho responded on this thread) they might find my perspective useful as they continue to try to improve their game and get players from other MMOs to try Rift out.

EDIT: sorry for double post. The first time it was rejected as being too close in time to my last post.
    Last edited by WGButler; 07-01-2014 at 01:02 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast