+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By krug

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: 3.0 Behind the Scenes: The Rhen of Fate

1.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #1
    Rift Team

Default 3.0 Behind the Scenes: The Rhen of Fate

One of the cool things I've had a chance to work on for the past few weeks is a new 10-man Sliver for Nightmare Tide called "The Rhen of Fate." A rhen is something like a king or warlord to the Skelf people, who players will become familiar with in the Plane of Water. Within the Sliver, players must defeat a one-time ally who has turned down an evil path, but first, they must battle through Port Scuddra – a rough town in the best of worlds, but a nest of villainy in this Sliver realm.

Working on Slivers is something of a treat, since you can take part of the world players are familiar with and put it into a whole other context or tell a different part of the story. This is also true in other circumstances where we've turned open-world areas into instances. In some cases, that story can be completely unrelated to what exists there in the regular world, like in the case of Drowned Halls; at other times, it can be more closely tied into the overarching narrative, like in the Queen's Gambit Chronicle. Either way, it's fun imagining how to fill the small chunk of reality I've been given license to reshape.

Story is crucial, but it wouldn’t be a raid without bosses and boss mechanics! It's always interesting trying to come up with new ways to challenge players. This actually tends to be more of a challenge for designers, since players tend to exceed our expectations, both in terms of ingenuity and performance. Luckily, RIFT has a great community of raiders ready to step forward during the testing process to ensure the final product meets their expectations. I'm really looking forward to getting Rhen in front of players and seeing them figure out the fights. Or not figure them out – that's fun, too!

Rift Disciple

rift has the coolest names for things ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    ...its totally possible that a bug exists somewhere. ~Daglar

Rift Disciple

Teaser pics or it didn't happen

Quote Originally Posted by Nanood View Post
    Teaser pics or it didn't happen
    It happened trust me bud it is gonna be worth the wait!

Can't wait for this! Sounds interesting, especially with the 3 models we've seen thus far of the Skelfs and the whole 'eggs' thing.

Hope one day (very very soon) we will get screens instead of text.
    Guild: La main occulte on Brisesol.
    French translator of Tinker Tools.
    Owner of the Telara Rail Road: 14 Train Station are currently open to visit

I am glad to see some renewed interest in slivers,

+ Reply to Thread