+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: 3.0 Behind the Scenes: Inspiration

1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #1

Default 3.0 Behind the Scenes: Inspiration

About a year ago we got the green light to do another expansion, and one thing everyone agreed on was that we wanted to go to the planes. We devs have been watching those rifts open and spew out elemental invaders longer than anyone, all the time wondering what the planes were like, what cultures they held, and what was going on there now that the dragons had been slain. We weren't just excited to answer this question for the players, but for ourselves, too. To get closure on questions about these elemental realities. But this required us making the first, yet most profound decision for the entire expansion.

Which plane do we go to first?

It was tough because there are aspects of each plane that we desperately want to explore, there are stories that we want to tell about each of them, and while we had made some tentative steps out into the planes in a few raids and dungeons, this was our first time to do so in the context of an expansion. Expansions set a much stronger narrative direction than a patch, offering something for everyone to enjoy regardless of their play style. So this one choice was a big one. We even asked some of the devs who weren't in the strike team for the expansion, and we got an answer we never expected.

They wanted to go to the Plane of Water.

Which is not to say there was a clear winner among those we asked (and basing artistic decisions on polls is a dangerous thing). The creative process is not really a democratic one, and while crowds can be wise, they often don’t know what they want until they see it. But in all the feedback we got, it was the reason that people wanted to go there that really grabbed hold of the team brainstorming it all up. They wanted to go to the Plane of Water because they didn't know what to expect there. With many of the other plane types, they had this image in their mind about what it would be like. But with water it was a bit of a mystery. Surely we wouldn't put you underwater for the entire expansion? So how would we handle the challenges of going to that plane? Akylios had always been a fan-favorite dragon, but he got killed off relatively early in the story of RIFT. We had few water-themed events to dig deeper into the story, and folks wanted to know more. As one of those creative types, this was the best reason of all, because it would be a journey into the great unknown for both the devs and the players.

The team was inspired, and we set about trying to solve all the problems that our choice presented. There would be some underwater content, something that 90% of the players claimed to hate, and 10% claimed to absolutely love. How much of that should we have? What kind of stories would we tell? Sure, we need to tell some fish stories, but after that, where can we take the adventures in the plane? Akylios is dead – all the dragons are dead actually – so what’s bigger and badder than these beings that threatened all life on Telara? And who are you going to be helping in this new reality? Are you the first from the mortal realm to travel these shores? Or have others been here before? How did it change them? Will we have rifts? Water rifts? How does that work? Are there beings invading this plane as well? Finally, what is it we want out of a planar adventure? We knew that the experience of being in a strange land and encountering the unexpected was really high on everyone’s list (and is one of our favorite aspects of fantasy worlds in general). We knew to expect the unexpected.

So from that we brainstormed up the concept art that we teased you with so very long ago, complete with the layers of (water) worlds, oceans in the sky, and different interpretations of not just water, but the moon, the mind, and one’s place in the cosmos. Once we had that, things began to fall into place. Giant horrific monsters from the depths of the cosmos? Check. Lost civilizations filled with quirky people pushed to their limits by the strains of their extreme environments? Check. Strange lands that operate on their own otherworldly rules? Oh yeah. Answers to some lingering questions? Well, yes, but hopefully many more questions as well. It’s no fun adventuring if you have all the answers.

In Nightmare Tide, we aim to take you from the expected experience of the tropical snorkeling trip of your dreams to a nightmare adventure where you beat back the things that lurk in the darkness, and then off to the cosmos to look over the edge and see what’s out there. Looking back on the creative journey we went on, I’m very grateful for the team here at RIFT. They forced us to challenge our assumptions and do something a bit scary, jumping into one of the most challenging planes out there. But by taking up this challenge, we’ve made some of the most gorgeous and disturbing places in the RIFT universe. We’re meeting new characters that we hope you will love and uncovering dark secrets and unsettling answers. We’re also letting ourselves have some fun with this expansion. RIFT is serious business, but that doesn't mean it can’t be seriously fun.

And yes, we’ll also try and answer the question that’s on everyone’s mind: “What the heck is that thing in the water rift?”

RIFT Guide Writer RoughRaptorsOld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by captaincursor View Post
    The team was inspired, and we set about trying to solve all the problems that our choice presented. There would be some underwater content, something that 90% of the players claimed to hate, and 10% claimed to absolutely love.
    Can we get some Iron Boots?

I love this whole-heartedly. Thanks, CC!

I've been wondering how the plane of water will take shape myself- it's very cool to me that you mention the moon and oceans in the sky. Water has so many guises and is a metaphor for SO many things in SO many world cultures, I am really excited to see which make an appearance. <3
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

Quote Originally Posted by RoughRaptors View Post

I'm hoping for a Defiant-style steampunky bathysphere and wardrobe!
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

I assume Ocarina of Time reference?

+1
    Serein, Gaetinn, Amkhe, Skaidras | Co-Guild Leader of <Nordvegr> of Faeblight | 4/4 iROTP 4/4 TD 3/3 BOS
    New to Rift? Free bag, cape, weapon glow, and title with my Ascend-a-Friend code: EPZHJKQ3DDYHG7GDEDHJ

Quote Originally Posted by ilex011 View Post
    That's not quite what I was getting at...

Quote Originally Posted by Serein View Post
    I assume Ocarina of Time reference?

+1
    ^ This is what I was getting at :-)

Plane Touched

It would be awesome to have toggleable partial gravity underwater.

8.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #8

There is a quest with iron boots.

This is exciting to me! I'm a pretty new Rift player (couple months is all), coming from seven years in World of Warcraft.

When WoW's Cataclysm xpac released, the ONLY zone I enjoyed was Vashj'ir. In fact, before I quit playing, I ran every level 80 toon there and basically leveled as far as possible so I didn't have to go anywhere else....

I found your entire post extremely interesting, well-written, engaging - and it's great to have such first-hand information!

[My daughter who AAF'd me isn't happy about the water plane though.... she has a lot of issues with underwater play....]

10.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #10

Quote Originally Posted by ilex011 View Post
    We're looking forward to diving bell helmets.

One of the best posts I've read in quite some time, cheers.
    what is this I don't even

Lead would be better unless they bring out rustproof insoles.

13.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #13

Quote Originally Posted by Haruchai View Post
    Lead would be better unless they bring out rustproof insoles.
    We have whole scenes of rusted iron ships.

Well can you excavate some of that iron and form them into boots so we don't have to swim please? :-)

I found the rusted ship in the data files =^.^=

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast