+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 91
Like Tree52Likes

  Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: New Auction House and Warfront, come watch Friday's Livestream!

  1. #46
    Ascendant BlackZodiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,601

    Default

    Even with the history added, there will always be people who Jack the prices up, hoping some someone makes a boo boo or just wants the item bad enough to pay a crazy price for it.

    Guess we shall see what else is in store

  2.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #47
    Rift Team Gingers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haceldama View Post
    I just want to be able to search the AH by right clicking (or equally easy mechanism) an ingredient out of my crafting recipe window.

    My request from the Dark Side!!!

    Haceldama
    I have a sticky note on my desk reminding me to ask our UI Engineer about this. I agree it totally makes sense to add this but I don't know how time consuming it is to code so once I know that, then hopefully it can get added to the to-do list.

  3. #48
    RIFT Fan Site Operator Jonus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,696

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingers View Post
    Ideally we'd like up to a year but since the system is still in the works, that is not guaranteed. For buy orders, yes the cost is taken when you list your buy order and is refunded if unfulfilled.
    Is that a year for Auction Listings time?
    Ignore my post about this please.

    Had to re-read the conversation several times but now realise the "a year" was in regards to Price History Listing and not Auction House Listing. My bad!

  4. #49
    RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R0NlN View Post
    Who was asking, specifically, for buy orders to be able to come from larger stacks? I don't know why you would do that.
    Everyone I know who has ever played a game which allowed it was asking for it, because it's spectacularly useful -- it lets you buy the amount you need, so people can just list all their items in a few 99-stacks and you can buy the 6 you need. So you don't have a huge number of tiny stacks being listed because they'll sell better.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

  5. #50
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Everyone I know who has ever played a game which allowed it was asking for it, because it's spectacularly useful -- it lets you buy the amount you need, so people can just list all their items in a few 99-stacks and you can buy the 6 you need. So you don't have a huge number of tiny stacks being listed because they'll sell better.
    This.

    I've made something like 6k plat selling in smaller batches at a higher price then others with their 99 stacks.

    I've also PAID more for smaller stacks. When I just want 3 fish, I'm not going to buy a 99 stack for 50 plat, when I can just get 5 fish for 5 plat. Sure, i'm paying double for reach fish, but in the end? Saved myself 45 plat since I have not needing more fish in the past half a year.

    People pay for convenience, and not clogging up the AH with tiny stacks is a nice bonus.
    Last edited by Repster; 06-13-2014 at 05:40 PM.
    Burst before or after Rift implosion, never both.

  6. #51
    RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16,859

    Default

    Yeah, and I am totally fine with losing that "advantage" and being able to use my auction slots more efficiently.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

  7. #52
    Champion R0NlN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    534

    Default

    So we take away the market for "convenience" pricing, and now there's no way to compete with people selling in bulk and charging really low prices for it. If I don't want to farm but just want to sell what I've gathered during my normal game time, the only option I have is to undercut the folks who are already selling it so low it's not enough of a profit to make it worth it for me.

    But botts and people who farm for hours at a time-- now we're giving them the ability to finish taking over the market from your average player.

    You may be fine with it if you already have "six thousand" platinum, but some of us (and all new players) are still trying to finance what we need.

    To me, this isn't a smart move. I'd rather see them start with adding "buy orders", and see how it goes from there. Changing too much at once makes it harder to manage the change and avoid negative consequences.
    Last edited by R0NlN; 06-13-2014 at 05:58 PM.

  8. #53
    RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R0NlN View Post
    So we take away the market for "convenience" pricing, and now there's no way to compete with people selling in bulk and charging really low prices for it. If I don't want to farm but just want to sell what I've gathered during my normal game time, the only option I have is to undercut the folks who are already selling it so low it's not enough of a profit to make it worth it for me.
    Or just list at a normalish price, and figure it'll sell sooner or later, because that works too.

    To me, this isn't a smart move. I'd rather see them start with adding "buy orders", and see how it goes from there. Changing too much at once makes it harder to manage the change and avoid negative consequences.
    That would make sense if the experiment were all new and not something well-understood.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

  9. #54
    Champion R0NlN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Or just list at a normalish price, and figure it'll sell sooner or later, because that works too.



    That would make sense if the experiment were all new and not something well-understood.
    Sorry, Seebs, but you're wrong on both counts IMO. It doesn't sell eventually, especially with these changes. Why would it? As long as I can't offer fewer items at a convenience price, the only way "it'll sell" is if I undercut the prices that are too low to begin with for me.

    And it is an unknown how it'll work in this game, with Rift's players. You may know how it worked out in other games, but each game and their player base is different.

  10. #55
    Shield of Telara Seelinnikoi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    774

    Default

    Glad they are making it like the Guild Wars 2 trading post, IMO that is the best AH implementation!

  11. #56
    RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R0NlN View Post
    Sorry, Seebs, but you're wrong on both counts IMO. It doesn't sell eventually, especially with these changes. Why would it? As long as I can't offer fewer items at a convenience price, the only way "it'll sell" is if I undercut the prices that are too low to begin with for me.

    And it is an unknown how it'll work in this game, with Rift's players. You may know how it worked out in other games, but each game and their player base is different.
    Well, if it's unknown, then we don't have a good reason to worry yet.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

  12. #57
    Champion R0NlN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Well, if it's unknown, then we don't have a good reason to worry yet.
    Yeah, no need to avoid foreseeable problems, when you can always deal with them reactively later on!

  13. #58
    Plane Touched Ketta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R0NlN View Post
    So we take away the market for "convenience" pricing, and now there's no way to compete with people selling in bulk and charging really low prices for it. If I don't want to farm but just want to sell what I've gathered during my normal game time, the only option I have is to undercut the folks who are already selling it so low it's not enough of a profit to make it worth it for me.

    But botts and people who farm for hours at a time-- now we're giving them the ability to finish taking over the market from your average player.


    You may be fine with it if you already have "six thousand" platinum, but some of us (and all new players) are still trying to finance what we need.


    To me, this isn't a smart move. I'd rather see them start with adding "buy orders", and see how it goes from there. Changing too much at once makes it harder to manage the change and avoid negative consequences.
    In pink: Player-driven (PD) markets in any game are fickle, and raw materials often suffer the most, particularly at lower levels. Anyone who decides to try and use raw materials as a money maker is going to have a hard time of it, regardless of how the market is set up. I've played a lot of games with PD markets, and Rift's has been the most unbalanced in terms of sellers vs. buyers I've ever seen, where it's more of a seller's market than a buyer's. A good PD market is as balanced between the two as possible, and granting buyers AS WELL AS sellers the ability to manipulate quantity will go a long way in achieving that balance.

    In purple: Bots and people who like to farm for hours are not the same thing. From what I hear, Trion takes botting pretty seriously, reporting tends to (but not always) see some action. People who like to farm for hours at a time aren't doing anything wrong, and they (just like any other player) should get to mess with the market how they wish. It may not be what you like, but they're part of the PD market system. In fact, they tend to be the ones who list in big stacks that I currently can't split when I want to, but that's not their fault.

    In blue: I don't have 6k plat (haven't had that much all at once yet), and what you mention about having to finance yourself is right along with how I feel about not having the option to split stacks. When I was a plat-less noob trying to raise a crafting skill, I'd cuss a blue streak every time I wanted to by a few copper bars or ore, only to have stacks of 99 available and not enough to buy it. It actually surprises me that this is a reason you give for not wanting buyers to have the option to buy what they want..."Take it all or leave empty handed"...yeah, because that's how new players should be made to feel.

    Finally, in grey: No one can know for sure if this is a smart move or not until it goes live. I think it will be a good move, but there'll be some negative and positive shifts as the market settles itself. Buy orders are probably going to be good, too, but when you're in the market for something, you often need it right NOW, especially when crafting, and who wants to wait for someone to fill an order?

    If you're really concerned that it's botting that will ultimately crash Rift's market: there are more profitable games than Rift for botters, and this is one game where I've seen them at a minimum (as opposed to WoW, EQ, EQ2, and other games where you can spot them daily).

  14. #59
    Prophet of Telara
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ketta View Post
    In pink: Player-driven (PD) markets in any game are fickle, and raw materials often suffer the most, particularly at lower levels. Anyone who decides to try and use raw materials as a money maker is going to have a hard time of it, regardless of how the market is set up. I've played a lot of games with PD markets, and Rift's has been the most unbalanced in terms of sellers vs. buyers I've ever seen, where it's more of a seller's market than a buyer's. A good PD market is as balanced between the two as possible, and granting buyers AS WELL AS sellers the ability to manipulate quantity will go a long way in achieving that balance.

    In purple: Bots and people who like to farm for hours are not the same thing. From what I hear, Trion takes botting pretty seriously, reporting tends to (but not always) see some action. People who like to farm for hours at a time aren't doing anything wrong, and they (just like any other player) should get to mess with the market how they wish. It may not be what you like, but they're part of the PD market system. In fact, they tend to be the ones who list in big stacks that I currently can't split when I want to, but that's not their fault.

    In blue: I don't have 6k plat (haven't had that much all at once yet), and what you mention about having to finance yourself is right along with how I feel about not having the option to split stacks. When I was a plat-less noob trying to raise a crafting skill, I'd cuss a blue streak every time I wanted to by a few copper bars or ore, only to have stacks of 99 available and not enough to buy it. It actually surprises me that this is a reason you give for not wanting buyers to have the option to buy what they want..."Take it all or leave empty handed"...yeah, because that's how new players should be made to feel.

    Finally, in grey: No one can know for sure if this is a smart move or not until it goes live. I think it will be a good move, but there'll be some negative and positive shifts as the market settles itself. Buy orders are probably going to be good, too, but when you're in the market for something, you often need it right NOW, especially when crafting, and who wants to wait for someone to fill an order?

    If you're really concerned that it's botting that will ultimately crash Rift's market: there are more profitable games than Rift for botters, and this is one game where I've seen them at a minimum (as opposed to WoW, EQ, EQ2, and other games where you can spot them daily).

    There are mass bots in Rift, they just move to different locations when they are banned. For example there used to be hundreds of bots on all shards in the dendrome farming vespids, they got banned for months, they moved to seartos farming mobs in not traveled locations.

    Tons of bots daily in easternholdings farming the academy elf mobs 24/7 on every shard.

    Still bots in witches thicket ect. They are just in less traveled locations.

    You see all thoses lockboxes stacks of 99? those are from bots, they profit plenty from Rift.
    Last edited by DriftinARift; 06-13-2014 at 08:59 PM.

  15. #60
    RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R0NlN View Post
    Yeah, no need to avoid foreseeable problems, when you can always deal with them reactively later on!
    No, see. It can't be forseeable. Because if we can forsee, that's because of similarity to other economies -- in which case we'll get the same results we did everywhere else, which is that things are dramatically improved by a more flexible and powerful market, which gives buyers and sellers both better information and better choices. The only way that doesn't happen is if Unexpected Things happen, and then those aren't "forseeable" problems.

    Realistically, what tends to happen with better market tools is that markets become more stable, so people are more likely to use the market instead of staying out of it because it's not worth the effort. And that tends to stabilize it. Things do better for basically everyone. Yeah, you can't necessarily compete just by selling things in small batches, but so what? You have way better information about active prices and likely sales.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts