+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Last Name disappoinment

Default Last Name disappoinment

I can not deny I got super excited when I saw the addition of surnames into the game. So I eagerly waited for the patch to be over and the game to be up and running again. I purchased my name scroll (First on Shard....lol), used and proclaimed my surname, only to find that it ONLY appears if I select to view my own name and other players can only see it if they have the "Show Friendly Player Names" checked (And who does that, it is way to much of a on-screen clutter). I was at least hoping it would appear with my portrait or in chat. Oh well...................sad day.

It's threads like this that just piss me off. You can't be happy they added something you've been wanting for a long time? Who the hell **** in your Cheerios.

Isn't show friendly players names on by default?

I actually feel the item is a little, well mislabeled though? I feel it's more of a custom title than it is a part of the name. Players do not message you with your last name, but it did enable me to make some awesome titles!
    Last edited by Techie Will; 06-04-2014 at 08:44 AM.

Mine hasnt't been on for a long time. I had to look to find it to turn it on just to see my name. At first I thought it wasn't working cause I was expecting it to appear on my portrait. I even logged out and back on 3 times before I got the idea to check under my UI settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Sythielya View Post
    ...only to find that it ONLY appears if I select to view my own name and other players can only see it if they have the "Show Friendly Player Names" checked...
    But that's how it's supposed to work. :/

What's this I don't even...
    Shinryujin | Tsuyuko | Chieri | Kimiyomi

Quote Originally Posted by Riane View Post
    It's threads like this that just piss me off. You can't be happy they added something you've been wanting for a long time? Who the hell **** in your Cheerios.
    There is a difference between being disappointed and unhappy. I never sad I wasn't happy, just disappointed in how they chose to display the names. I am a paying patron with Black Tier loyalty, I am allowed to express disappointment if I want....lol

Quote Originally Posted by Techie Will View Post
    Isn't show friendly players names on by default?

I actually feel the item is a little, well mislabeled though? I feel it's more of a custom title than it is a part of the name. Players do not message you with your last name, but it did enable me to make some awesome titles!
    I agree with this statement, to me it is a clever way to create a custom title than a surname.

Quote Originally Posted by superhbman View Post
    But that's how it's supposed to work. :/

What's this I don't even...
    When you say "suppose to work", that means there was an explanation involved letting everyone know the expectation of the scroll. Since there wasn't, the only people that know how it is suppose to work are the people that actually developed it.

Last Name Scroll: "Use this scroll to add or edit a last name."

I am not seeing in that description how we are to determine how it is "suppose to work" .

There is a difference between being disappointed and unhappy. I never sad I wasn't happy, just disappointed in how they chose to display the names. I am a paying patron with Black Tier loyalty, I am allowed to express disappointment if I want....lol
    What does your patron or loyalty status have anything to do with this? You're not entitled to anything because of that.

Pon
    Soulwalker

What does your patron or loyalty status have anything to do with this? You're not entitled to anything because of that.
    He can express his disappointment all he wants, why are you pissing and moaning so much?

11.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #11

I can not deny I got super excited when I saw the addition of surnames into the game. So I eagerly waited for the patch to be over and the game to be up and running again. I purchased my name scroll (First on Shard....lol), used and proclaimed my surname, only to find that it ONLY appears if I select to view my own name and other players can only see it if they have the "Show Friendly Player Names" checked (And who does that, it is way to much of a on-screen clutter). I was at least hoping it would appear with my portrait or in chat. Oh well...................sad day.
    I just confirmed in-game that the setting "Show Friendly Player Names" does default to ON so you should not be sad. If it was off for you, its only because at some point you turned it off. You may have imported it as a setting from another character. So no need to worry, most people will have it on and most people will see your last name!
    Last edited by Gingers; 06-04-2014 at 09:54 AM.

Oh Cupcakey, I never stated I am "entitled" to anything except the right to express my opinion about something I paid for, which is what I did. I didn't ask for anything in return, just wanted to say "Hey, I appreciate the thought/idea of the scroll, just was hoping it was a little more clear on how it was displayed".

I have always loved how this Forum always instantly attacks people for just expressing opinions. How is a company that makes money off it's patron suppose to grow if they don't know how their customers feel about things?

Quote Originally Posted by Gingers View Post
    I just confirmed in-game that the setting "Show Friendly Player Names" does default to ON so you should not be sad. If it was off for you, its only because at some point you turned it off. You may have imported it as a setting from another character. So no need to worry, most people will have it on and most people will see your last name!
    Thank you Ginger. I am certain that I turned that setting off a long time ago. I remember a long time ago while doing a zone event, in EI if I remember correctly, all the display names overwhelming my screen during the Boss fight and turned it off. Although I am still disappointed the surname will not be an addition to my portrait as I wish, I am still grateful (although others seem to read otherwise) to finally have it in the game.

Who the hell **** in your Cheerios.
    Was about to ask you the same question... there's no need to attack someone for voicing disppointment that a new game feature failed to meet their expectations. It happens, and it's part of why there are forums and fansites.
    Level 60/Rank 90 Guardian Mage * Level 60/Rank 62 Defiant Rogue * Level 60/Rank 86 Guardian Cleric
    Level 60/Rank 82 Defiant Warrior
    * Level 60/Rank 86 Guardian Rogue
    * Level 60/Rank 53 Defiant Mage
    Level 60/Rank 24 Guardian Warrior
    * Level 60/Rank 15 Defiant Cleric
    * Wolfsbane/Zaviel

Quote Originally Posted by Gingers View Post
    So no need to worry, most people will have it on and most people will see your last name!
    I would be surprised if this were really true. It would be nice if last names showed on portraits at least.
    RIFT- now Pay 2 Gamble 2 Win
    <Shattered Chain> of Faeblight .::. currently enjoying Guild Wars 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast