+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: How to make RNG boxes a more positive experience

Default How to make RNG boxes a more positive experience

I know RNG boxes aren't going anywhere, unfortunately, because people keep buying them. However for me personally, they have only been a negative experience. Here are my ideas for improving them:

1. Make a list for ALL possible items. If it's going to be a chance, I at least want to know what possibilities there are. This makes something as awful as RNG to at least be a little more honest, and therefore more positive.

2. Grant gear/weapons that are absolutely better than what you have. Why is it that it's possible to get gear that it is only kinda sorta better than what I have, but has the wrong kinds of stats for what I need so I end up not even using it? And I can't even sell it? I would never buy such a gear on its own, so why should I be awarded it for taking a chance on RNG?

3. Exclusive Mounts: If you're not going to offer the mounts in the store for sale and instead only as a chance in a box, can you please at least cause each purchased box to increase the chance of getting it? Say I bought a box and there was no prized mount, but I knew that if I bought another one, my chance increases. So I buy another, and still no mount. But now chances are even better, and so I buy another one, and then I get it. I've still spent more than I would have probably to buy it by itself in the store, but without this it becomes increasingly depressing with each box purchased, instead of hopeful and positive. With each successive box, the experience becomes more negative until I give up altogether.

Spending credits should always be a positive thing for the player. We pay you, we get little digital prizes that enhance our experience in the game and encourage us to do it again sometime. But unless you magically have amazing luck, RNG boxes will do the opposite of this, and consequently leave a bad taste in your mouth about the game in general. And I like Rift, so I don't want to have that taste.

And to anyone who is about to say "if you don't like RNG boxes, don't buy them", that's not what this is about. Thanks.

4. Remove Them Entirely
    RGI@Deepwood --- <-Hello Kitty->
    [A Stick]
    King of Conquest

Ascendant

The useless gear IS kinda annoying. Especially when it's something I have absolutely no use for. It's like, yaaaaaay, another epic 2hander on my warrior when I already have a relic 2hander from the other lockbox. Can't even use it on say, my terribly geared rogue alt like I could a one hander. And sell price of a silver? Kinda sucks.

Unless the plan is to have me get a trade skill expansion to level rune crafting to get something out of it...which I did.
    Burst before or after Rift implosion, never both.

Plane Touched

Having a real list of possible drops in a rough order of likeliness of 'dropping' would be good, rather than the stuff in the top 1-2% chance to drop which are actually desirable.

Whilst I accept that lockboxes are here to stay (this game is F2P and thus money needs to be generated from it's user base often) I feel a little more transparency on what the boxes actually contain would indeed be a boon and the morally right thing to do, however as a business morals are sadly the first thing to get thrown out the window to make room for money generation.

IMO:

1: Larger amounts of currencies, when received.

2: Higher chance of getting viable gear. (By viable I mean when fully upgraded, the "t2" pieces don't have similar stats to t1, they actually have near t2 stats. [Note: I think the "t2" pieces I have gotten are just really really horrible, there's quite possible a number of good pieces I just haven't seen])

As far as the chance of getting a piece of gear, I was thinking 1/3 at least, since WHAT piece of gear you get is random, it's not like you can outfit a character with a handful of lockboxes, but you CAN get a few good pieces here and there, to give you a slight boost in gearing up for t2 content, as well as helping to outfit any alts you may have with non-crap gear.

JUST the promise of gimped t2 gear (essentially t1.5) would have me buying tonnes of lockboxes, even just to pass the gear to alts, and on that note, if the lockbox "Consolation prizes" were something that could minimally satisfy the majority of the community, there'd probably be an outstanding increase in the purchase of lockboxes, making it good for Trion as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocho
    Also nerf bards.

4. Make some of them purchasable using currency earned by playing the game, not by paying cash.

When the promotional events happen, and there's a questline to follow that grants my character a 'free' lockbox, I do that questline on each of my characters, open the boxes and see if got lucky or not. Regardless of what I get in my 'free' boxes I don't spend credits on buying any more purely because I understand what these boxes are, i.e. lottery tickets with the associated tiny chance of a jackpot.

The only exception to this has been the warlord mark crates which I've bought lots of and that's because I can buy them using marks that I earn by PvP'ing, i.e. they give me a chance at PvP-specific gear / runes as a result of bashing up other players in warfronts / conquest. If there were a PvE equivalent box, which could be bought using some form of currency earnt by playing the game then without question I'd play the game to earn those too.

Essentially, I'd like them to introduce more boxes that you earn by playing the game, not paying the game.

Ascendant

While well intentioned your suggestions mean less money for Trion. The rules are there to trap people into pissing away money on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Repster View Post
    The useless gear IS kinda annoying. Especially when it's something I have absolutely no use for. It's like, yaaaaaay, another epic 2hander on my warrior when I already have a relic 2hander from the other lockbox. Can't even use it on say, my terribly geared rogue alt like I could a one hander. And sell price of a silver? Kinda sucks.

Unless the plan is to have me get a trade skill expansion to level rune crafting to get something out of it...which I did.
    The gear is a get out clause for Trion. People buy them for the mount not for the crappy other stuff. This way they can say it's not a lottery since you always get something.

When I buy a lottery ticket I want to always win more than I paid so I don't lose anything. Cuz losing makes me sad so they should do it.
    T for Trinity
    42k Achievement Points Club
    I has stream https://www.twitch.tv/boase Add me on GW2 Boase.6204 or Bnet Boase!#1862

mission accomplished, you paid for a slot, to further saturate the rune crafting skill, lol win for trion...
    "There are other aspects of the game that we want you to engage in."

~Daglar

You should see my bank alt... and silly pets I already have.
    Let Elrar know you care @

https://twitter.com/GiantApproved

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Shinkirou View Post
    IMO:

2: Higher chance of getting viable gear. (By viable I mean when fully upgraded, the "t2" pieces don't have similar stats to t1, they actually have near t2 stats. [Note: I think the "t2" pieces I have gotten are just really really horrible, there's quite possible a number of good pieces I just haven't seen]
    Lesse here... "thundering great sword of alter dust" Don't remember the box I got it from, Relic. Had a purp somewhere but broke that down. Since it the exact same weapon but slightly lower stats.

Fully upgraded. 156 hit, 378.4 DPS.

Ascended's Zweihander, the upgraded version of the T1 sword in the Rift Store.

130 Hit 337.8 DPS
    130 Hit 357.8 DPS When upgraded.

Despoiler's Great Blade. T2 Sword in the Rift Store.

156 Hit, 410.7 DPS
    156 Hit, 431.5 DPS when upgraded.

So... looks like fully upgraded Relic weapons from the lockboxes are about T1.5 now.

Mind you, that's THIRTY SIX Empyrean marauder's large cell so 140 400 marks, and like you said, it's raw stats are only comparable to the T1 store weapon. But hey, It's got the hit and DPS to push it above becasue all that anybody cares about is Hit right?
    Burst before or after Rift implosion, never both.

To the OP,

I suggested a different altenative when buying boxes, that for a period of time have all the new content in boxes and then when trion notices the decline in sales, move all the content to the store and make it available for all to purchase. Exclusive items like rare mounts could be left out and at times trion could run them again on sale.

I suggested this for the mystery boxes for dim items in the dimension section of the forum.

This has been suggested quite frequently but that does not make it an obsolete point.

I agree with the OP that receiving sub-par equipment is pretty much a middle finger to anyone who isn't already doing expert dungeons. Sure, some of the items CAN be upgraded to tier 1 raid equipment, however at a TREMENDOUS cost and the items that can do this are few and far between.

In short: I would suggest that these items be scaled according to your gear quality. People in experts will get +53 stuff, people with raid gear can get +65 stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Puny Mortals View Post
    In short: I would suggest that these items be scaled according to your gear quality. People in experts will get +53 stuff, people with raid gear can get +65 stuff.
    The items from the boxes are Bind on Account... so I'd open them on my main warrior in almost entirely T2 gear... and then send the items to my warrior alt.

15. Stop buying them if you can't suppress the urge to complain when you don't get what you want.

This is a quick way to roll the dice on things that you normally don't get unless you spend the time to earn them.

If you can't comprehend that. Find a new game to play.
    Last edited by Practicelap; 05-18-2014 at 11:59 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast