+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Like Tree161Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Bit annoyed to see the “Exclusive” Landslide Mount as a new AAF reward.

Am I the only one that reads all of Seatins posts in a smooth British accent? Somehow I don't think I am, lol. There is a propensity here to pound re-skins of things that already exist in the game and call then "new" and it's been rampant for quite sometime. So why not re-skin landslide into something different,THEN offer it as a reward for the AAF program? Or better yet, design a new mount if it's going to be an"exclusive" reward.
    Seems yet another misstep in gauging the customers that play this game and it's not getting any better. Does Trion not have any customer reps that actually play? Assuming your loyal customers are stupid and unobservant is a poor business practice. Exclusive means what it means and isn't the slightest bit ambiguous.

Ghostwheel@Vigil

Dev 1- "Hey dude let's think of an exclusive mount to offer aaf rewards."

Dev 2- "We can just use the landslyde mount and it will require no work on our end."

Manager- "Guys we can't do that because this was an exclusive offer for the players that supported us early on and are the reason we have jobs today." But we can just change the name and it will still be exclusive."

Dev 1- "Woah that is a great idea bruh."

Manager- "That is why they pay me the big bucks."

Dev 2- "Lets go grab a dink broski it is 1pm on a Tuesday and I feel like a brew."
    Last edited by RainDogs; 05-16-2014 at 10:09 AM.

The players have taken a back seat to profits, it's as simple as that.
    I Rift, therefore I am.

Stuff like this has happened a few times before in Rift.

Reskinned mounts are everywhere, but people are sort of maybe ok with that, so we'll ignore those.

Identical mounts being re-named and packaged as rewards else where in the game:

Soulbound Charger (RoS Chronicle Drop) is the same as Spectral Horse (RoS Opening Event Rift Drop) The armored version also dropped from the RoS opening event as well as the chronicle itself.

There's at least 5 Murdantix mounts, 2-3 unarmored ones and 2 armored ones. The armored ones are identical (HK Conq, Loyalty) and two of the unarmored ones are identical with the third one having slightly lighter skin (HK Opening event Rift Drop, HK Chronicle... forgot where the 3rd one came from)

The 110% PvP mounts are visually identical to a purchasable vendor mount at low settings. Didn't even know they had fiery hooves 'till much later on.

They've also done this with companion pets too. Slap on a new name (and sometimes not even that... since the "new pet" shares the exact same pet ID as the old pet... so my old pet's name got changed, and I get a new pet that tells me I've already collected it despite it being a reward from a new quest line.)

Off the top of my head they did this with the Storm Griffin, which was given to players at SL launch as part of the breadcrumb quests that led them to the portals to brevane/pallendane... and was awarded again in the continuation of the Storm Queen Saga.

Pretty sure a few of the elemental plane touched dragon pets were repeats as well.

Personally I don't care too much about it, because I use none of these things regularly.

But every time I see one, it does make me frown and leave a bad taste in my mouth.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish~

I stopped caring after they put the Hammerknell Murdantix Mount in the patron rewards, was really disappointed they should of least recolored it, or gave the one that dropped in the chronicle.

I r disappoint.

i'll be even more annoyed if the pax exclusive demon lord helm was brought in to the game or hooty.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyester View Post
    i'll be even more annoyed if the pax exclusive demon lord helm was brought in to the game or hooty.
    There's "Hotty" that's in the game that's earned from Blue tier loyalty.

Lol yep. I've got both Hotty and Hooty. Mind you, I never went to PAX. I got Hooty as a giveaway price from a forum contest on here.
    Duh.

Ral
    Rift Master

Lesson learned: Don't pay $120 for a mount because it is "exclusive".

I know that is misrepresentation, but I did not buy the package because of the exclusive mount, I bought it because I saved money on both the year sub and SL expansion AND got extra stuff on top of it practically for free.

But it is impossible to place the original value on the mount since it is part of an already under priced package, so arguing you paid for it is highly subjective.

I feel for the devs when there are entitled threads asking that they restrict certain things in the game to a select few such as bundling items and only creating new content while throwing away old content never to be used again and the very next post people are begging them to break bundles up to make more piecemeal sales and for them to remake old content they enjoyed so much.

Then when they try to combine the players desires and do both in a unique way someone invariably complains just as loudly as if they did either of the extremes or nothing at all.

My point is there is tons of people who really really really really want this mount, and will probably make a huge effort to recruit, possibly even just throwing money on a toss away account, just to get 1 mount on 1 character. Many people who have access to it however won't even care and even more will not even participate in the program and won't even have access to it at all.

Meanwhile if you got it from the package you already have this mount on every character you ever create forever. Still pretty exclusive.

And yet another thread here is asking that exclusiveness also be taken away. What is a dev to do?
    Last edited by Ral; 05-16-2014 at 02:46 PM.

I do find the entire process of limited quantity imaginary items intriguing. Even while in reality they are digitally limitless and after the development cost has been covered its 100% profit

Much like Leauge of Legends rare skins and such these "Rare" items rake in lots of money for resale and many are jealous of those that own it.

I can see why some people could be angry because the rare limited edition is now back for sale for anyone. To some its a right of passage or proof of veteran status and to alter it slightly and resell it is a bit disconcerting.

I don't feel that way about my SL or Annual Sub rewards but I am reminded of card games like Magic The Gathering. Old edition rare cards were sought after and expensive and then in a new edition they would reprint it diminishing its value.
    Last edited by Malvolio; 05-16-2014 at 02:48 PM.

Ascendant

this is disappointing and annoying but not surprising after they did it with the loyalty murdantix and others.
    I will never fall for one of Trions "exclusive" purchases again, just wait and get it cheaper and easier..
    ... If I bother to log in at all that is
    Quote Originally Posted by Frailaq View Post

tl;dr - Trion should do this: Melee = Turret Ranged > Mobile Ranged

Landslide 2.0 has faint stripes on the front legs; Cyclone 2.0 is tinted with a grey hue instead of pink. I did a doubletake when I saw it today on the store and I thought "Hey, that's MY--"; then I realized I don't really care. It's not like I love my weird facehuggery Cyclone any less anyway.
    Last edited by ilex011; 05-16-2014 at 02:59 PM. Reason: now I am going to go mad trying to get Jolt.
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

They hand out all the cool rewards to everyone but those who actually hit the raw game content hard.

I grew up on Eq style rewards. I don't know how much more I can stomach all this giving away of cool things to those who have spent extra money. In essence ascend a friend can be done solo if you just buy multiple accounts. Reward the guy who convinces people to play, reward the person with a nice paying job, what is the scrap left for the people who, you know, hit the game content hard and deep?

Oh well. This games makes it hard to show off your toon for anything. I remember inspecting people and thinking like whoa "they killed such and such or were around for it, they killed that exclusive mob, they participated in that exclusive event, they did that quest line that takes like a month etc" Now all I see in Rift is like driving on the road. Oh he has a Toyota, oh, he has a BMW. Sorry, I'm just not impressed by your BMW. Maybe if you built it yourself. MMO's used to be in essence about what you can build and create. Now it is just about what you can buy. Like my analogy, I used to see lots of similar cars but all painted very uniquely in ways I know took lots of work. Now, I just see some people in expensive flashy cars verses those who don't. Hope that analogy serves well.

Funny enough, item rarity and desirability, and aspects that drive up desire and perceivable cost people are willing to pay to obtain it, or what they are willing to do, can be highly related to the 90's corporate mastermind of TY, the maker of beanie babies. He found a method and scheme to make bean stuffed toys sell for over $1000 - $5000 in some cases. In terms of his business model and what made items so highly desired, Rift nearly defies it. They take so much desire out of almost any and every item they give you. If trion were evil they could use it to REALLY catapult money (ie. read again, TY was able to make people pay over $3,000 for stuffed animals, imagine what the same marketing technique employed on an MMO would do?) or they could use it to manipulate their items to have a higher desirability. To wrap it up, the OPs post simply outlines one way to utterly remove a lot of desirability from an item.

I don't know if everyone was around during the BB craze but, if you read into the market techniques and "golden rules" they stood by during their height, it is kind of interesting how much of it can be applied to MMO virtual items. Do you know when TY and BB's went downhill and lost mass desire? When they were mass produced (availability way too high) and designs were copied at a much higher frequency (less uniqueness overall to all of them). Hmm, sound familiar? ;) Business is business in concept sometimes. I know the people who work for Trion are not total dummies, but I wonder why some decisions about how to handle some of their virtual items are made. Especially when applied to the context of the premise being playing a video game.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Quote Originally Posted by simun View Post
    <snip>I'm saving up for a unicorn though. Yeah it's a horse repaint with a horn. It's still going to be freakin' epic!

Only if it's snowy white, with rainbow particle effects from the hooves as it gallops.
    Let Elrar know you care @

https://twitter.com/GiantApproved

the unicorn will be a horse with landslide horn cut/paste.....

Champion of Telara

I like the landslide, not too many people use it. If the only other way to get it is through AAF, why would I be upset. Just as I earned it by promoting the game by buying into the game, others are earning it by promoting the game so others will play it. If it means more players, then sure, I'm all for it.
    Smidge
    Wolfsbane

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast