+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: Not enough with subscriptions

Shadowlander

Default Not enough with subscriptions

Once upon a time we paid every month a subscription to get access to the game and when in-game we worked to get good stuff and be stronger and competitive. Now we pay a subscription and after that we pay more to get stuff. We pay too for new souls. We pay many "subscriptions". Is it there any other real -in contrary to plausible- point that makes it worth to pay a monthly subscription? As now it feels I mostly only get vials and loyalty rewards but what I would really want to have...that I can only get by opening my wallet. And some stuff are only at the reach of Bill Gates and Putin to buy. Not to mention if you have more than 1 account! What do I lose if I stop paying the monthly subscription and, instead, only buy stuff when I need them?
    Last edited by Irona; 05-10-2014 at 01:11 AM.

Another of these threads? You people are really persistant. Just stop paying patron then - problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by radiomaryja View Post
    Another of these threads? You people are really persistant. Just stop paying patron then - problem solved.
    They have sub model mentality in f2p game.

Nostalgia is hell of a thing - Daglar.

Rift Master

I'd say pay attention to how much you're paying regardless. Better put on the brakes if your annual costs are approaching or exceeding $200, imo.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Irona View Post
    What do I lose if I stop paying the monthly subscription and, instead, only buy stuff when I need them?
    From one who has more than one paying account: it's all about weighing the pros and cons for your situation at any given time.

What do you lose if you stop being a patron:
    . the patron vials (token / xp / notoriety / artifacts / favor / presige)
    . the patron mailbox summon (NOT the veteran one if you have it)
    . the patron banker summon (NOT moneybanks summon if you have it)
    . the patron guild banker summon
    . the patron trainer summons
    . 10% discount on anything you buy in the store
    . depending on your total in loyalty you might not be able any longer to go to live chat for support
    . 15% increased token gain in game for dungeon/pvp currency
    . 10% increased mount speed
    . priority in queue when logging on to any shard with a queue

Anything else you bought with credits or otherwise doesn't get 'lost' when you end the patronship...

Last edited by Faerugue; 05-10-2014 at 04:12 AM.

Ascendant

Now we pay a subscription and after that we pay more to get stuff. We pay too for new souls. We pay many "subscriptions".
    We don't pay 'subscriptions' any longer, we pay for being a patron - the base content of the game is free to play. It's a different mind set - and a different age in MMO / F2P. We pay for the souls because we do not have to pay extra for the expansion, 3.0, that is coming. The souls were going to be part of 3.0 but their release is now with 2.7 due to whatever reason. All of the other stuff for the expansion will be 'free' as in continents for content, dungeons, raids and other things coming out...

Trion is a business and they can't live off the land and the aire that we breathe alone - they need to make a profit to keep on making it possible to release new stuff and such...

Once upon a time we paid every month a subscription to get access to the game and when in-game we worked to get good stuff and be stronger and competitive. Now we pay a subscription and after that we pay more to get stuff. We pay too for new souls. We pay many "subscriptions". Is it there any other real -in contrary to plausible- point that makes it worth to pay a monthly subscription? As now it feels I mostly only get vials and loyalty rewards but what I would really want to have...that I can only get by opening my wallet. And some stuff are only at the reach of Bill Gates and Putin to buy. Not to mention if you have more than 1 account! What do I lose if I stop paying the monthly subscription and, instead, only buy stuff when I need them?
    I pay a sub because I love the games design and content, the look and feel, the interaction with the developers, their quick deployment of cutting edge new content. Those are my reasons, not what Trion can give me back to make me personally more powerful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Faerugue View Post
    From one who has more than one paying account: it's all about weighing the pros and cons for your situation at any given time.

What do you lose if you stop being a patron:
    . the patron vials (token / xp / notoriety / artifacts / favor / presige)
    . the patron mailbox summon (NOT the veteran one if you have it)
    . the patron banker summon (NOT moneybanks summon if you have it)
    . the patron guild banker summon
    . the patron trainer summons
    . 10% discount on anything you buy in the store
    . depending on your total in loyalty you might not be able any longer to go to live chat for support
    . 15% increased token gain in game for dungeon/pvp currency
    . 10% increased mount speed
    . priority in queue when logging on to any shard with a queue

Anything else you bought with credits or otherwise doesn't get 'lost' when you end the patronship...

The 10% store discount is the funniest thing in the game imo. In order for you to "save money" you'd have to spend triple the amount of you patron sub every month on store items. You'd get more value by not having the sub UNLESS you always spend $40-50 every month on the store.

In my mind, every time someone with a patron sub buys things off the store, I think there's a big firehouse alarm bell that goes off and everyone in the office starts laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by Laeris View Post
    The 10% store discount is the funniest thing in the game imo. In order for you to "save money" you'd have to spend triple the amount of you patron sub every month on store items. You'd get more value by not having the sub UNLESS you always spend $40-50 every month on the store.

In my mind, every time someone with a patron sub buys things off the store, I think there's a big firehouse alarm bell that goes off and everyone in the office starts laughing.
    That's making the assumption that the only reason a person is a patron is only for the store discount. I would think that there would be very few, if any, people who are patron's and only use it for the store discount. Used in conjunction with all the other benefits, it is just another perk.

Prophet of Telara

If you do not like what the Patron sub offers, do not get it. You can still play the game and participate in all content. If you want the other goodies the game offers via credits, instead of paying for patron every month, buy some credits every month and buy what you want. Also, without paying, you can still earn all the gear you want AND level and gain rep and do everything at the same speed as before F2P. Nothing really changed with F2P except those that pay can do it faster than we did before there was that option.
    Lathais@Deepwood - <The Praetorians> - 60 Rogue
    Check out this guide Guide for fresh 60's: The One Level 60 Guide - Updated for 2.5
    Check these out:Gaming/Computer Glasses
    My Multi-Touch Table Project

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Laeris View Post

Except that they have patron for other reasons and that is just a bonus. People do not get patron for the discount alone, you know. They get it either because they love the game and want to support it or want the other perks it gives.
    Lathais@Deepwood - <The Praetorians> - 60 Rogue
    Check out this guide Guide for fresh 60's: The One Level 60 Guide - Updated for 2.5
    Check these out:Gaming/Computer Glasses
    My Multi-Touch Table Project

Quote Originally Posted by Faerugue View Post

Trion is a business and they can't live off the land and the aire that we breathe alone - they need to make a profit to keep on making it possible to release new stuff and such...

Do I have to whip out my standard forum meme of "developers aren't paid in unicorn fur and the tears of forum users" or somesuch variation?
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

I'm pretty happy overall with the value of a patron subscription. I would like to see a few more features added for patrons, but otherwise it's a pretty decent deal overall, especially if you pay for several months up front. I was a bit disappointed that the new souls were not included for patrons, but overall I'm not unhappy with the current model.

I was a former multi-year sub holder. I've been around the block on MMOs quite a few times... and I think you will be hard pressed to find a sub model like Rift's current model that is more skimpy in any other game.

Heck, most F2P MMOs that offer an optional sub at least give you a credit stipend. That way, players don't have to get double dipped to enjoy the same content as a F2P user. I understand (well, not really but I get it) the need for some people to morally support their MMO devs as if they were religious book publishers, but aside from that type of player, anyone else who buys a patron sub pays twice for any of the "optional" content.

That's why people like me call a patron sub worthless. It gives just about nothing for a veteran user. Like me... I get no value from patron vials. Most of the summons I earned under the old vet system. Until they fix the broken 150% mounts I only used a slower mount and took no benefit from the +10% mount speed (again, because the 150s are broken and I could get to places faster on a 135 due to the control bug).

Newer players will disagree. They get value from the XP vials (because unlike me, they aren't PA capped and XP capped on all of their toons). They may not have the pre F2P summoning abilities and so on. I get that... but like me they too will eventually outlast the patron sub's usefulness. That's really my big beef here. It's a system designed specifically to help new players while giving loyal players -nothing.-

So, in the end, I literally received nothing for my money. I have done what many of you suggest... that being not pay for it after my annual sub expired. This also means that I don't play anymore either because I do not play F2P games for this reason along with a few others.

I play MMOs to have a good time and be entertained... not to be nickle and dimed by a pay model put in place because people at the dev HQ have problems balancing their checkbook.
    Last edited by Laeris; 05-10-2014 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Except that they have patron for other reasons and that is just a bonus. People do not get patron for the discount alone, you know. They get it either because they love the game and want to support it or want the other perks it gives.

Oh I'm sure... I just find it hilarious that Trion advertised this as one of the perks. It isn't a perk really... and they were just fishing for bullet points to put on a marketing slick so the hollow system looks like it has some content where it really doesn't.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast