+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 76
Like Tree181Likes

  Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: What is glyph?!?

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    7

    Default What is glyph?!?

    I rarely come to this site and never post but I don't seem to have any choice here. My guild just broke with 17 people quitting the game over something called glyph after a long argument in Ventrilo last night.

    All I could get out of the many people speaking over each other is that Trion is pushing a Steam like client with advertisements game offers and trying to make independent game companies reliant on them to become successful while taking money from them for services offered. With a long rant about thinking gamers are stupid for telling them that this has to be done to save money and make it easier to update games and that small companies cant set up their own cash shop transactions because of the cost?!?

    WTH is going on? Is this glyph thing really mandatory to keep playing Rift or is this optional and where can I find information on this thing? And who is saying things like transactions cost too much money for a small company because that's just plain nuts knowing that tiny companies have been doing it for years.
    Last edited by JJones; 03-23-2014 at 07:18 AM.

  2. #2
    Ascendant Shattered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,932

    Default

    The Official Glyph FAQ in News & Announcements will tell everything we know about it.
    RIFT- now Pay 2 Gamble 2 Win
    <Shattered Chain> of Faeblight .::. currently enjoying Guild Wars 2

  3. #3
    Ascendant SoulshadowDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,453

    Default

    If your guild broke due to the change in launcher, there were other underlying issues, and they were just looking for an excuse.

    Glyph is just an upgraded version of the launcher, like most game companies have, including blizzard. Yes, it shows advertisements, for trions other products, but if you haven't noticed, so does the current launcher, it always has, on the left side. It's fundamentally the same launcher we have, except it incorporates the rest of trions titles into it, so you don't have multiple launchers, just one launcher with multiple games, its not some horrible thing that will ruin the game.
    Soulraiser - 60 Cleric // Soulslayer - 60 Warrior // Soulshadow 60 Mage
    Faeblight NA
    http://www.dargaardknights.com
    Visit our recruiting thread HERE

  4. #4
    Ascendant Slipmat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    6,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JJones View Post
    My guild just broke with 17 people quitting the game over something called glyph
    If 17 people rage quit Rift over this, well i don't know what to say. If they keep true to form it'll make updating all your Trion games easier, one sign in fits all, less clutter on the Desktop, win win.

    However I'm also hoping it wouldn't go like ads and crap, here's what I'm wanting my Glyph launcher to look like


  5. #5
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rakasha681 View Post
    If your guild broke due to the change in launcher, there were other underlying issues, and they were just looking for an excuse.

    Glyph is just an upgraded version of the launcher, like most game companies have, including blizzard. Yes, it shows advertisements, for trions other products, but if you haven't noticed, so does the current launcher, it always has, on the left side. It's fundamentally the same launcher we have, except it incorporates the rest of trions titles into it, so you don't have multiple launchers, just one launcher with multiple games, its not some horrible thing that will ruin the game.
    First, my guild has been together since Ultima Online and is spread out over many games right now (over 600 members). All but a few of them (the 17 that just quit) have been playing Rift since release, the others came over when I did when it went F2P to check it out and we have been playing steadily since. So no underlying issues here about the game or with each other.

    Reading the FAQ now I can see some of what they said being true, others unanswered. The advertisements wont be just for Trion games but for games they will be offering for other companies, the information about the indie offerings also falls in line with what they said. Indie developers should remain just that, independent, by offering services they will be slowly getting their hands into indie's pockets.

    Also where are you getting "most companies" have them from? Blizzard is just one company and the only others I know of, Aeria is a horrible company and the other planning this is PWI and they are makers of crap games. Funcom, Turbine, NCSoft, Zenimax, Sony, Frogstar, NDoors, Square, Nexon, Runewalker...they don't have one nor are planning one and many of them have far more MMOs available.

    Even EA isn't forcing its Origin launcher on everyone even though their games use the Origin downloader.

    Something like this should be optional especially if it means alienating some customers.

  6. #6
    Ascendant SoulshadowDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,453

    Default

    Its still basically boils down to the same thing, which is a limited amount of people making a big deal about nothing. Sorry if your guild lost 17 people from it, but even if there were no surface issues, those 17 players were already on their way out, looking for an excuse, and this was their perception of the straw that broke their camels back. Trion is already forcing you to use their launcher, and it has ads in it(that most of us ignore just like the commercials on tv.) They aren't forcing you do do anything that they aren't already forcing you to do.
    Soulraiser - 60 Cleric // Soulslayer - 60 Warrior // Soulshadow 60 Mage
    Faeblight NA
    http://www.dargaardknights.com
    Visit our recruiting thread HERE

  7. #7
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    764

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JJones View Post
    First, my guild has been together since Ultima Online and is spread out over many games right now (over 600 members). All but a few of them (the 17 that just quit) have been playing Rift since release, the others came over when I did when it went F2P to check it out and we have been playing steadily since. So no underlying issues here about the game or with each other.

    Reading the FAQ now I can see some of what they said being true, others unanswered. The advertisements wont be just for Trion games but for games they will be offering for other companies, the information about the indie offerings also falls in line with what they said. Indie developers should remain just that, independent, by offering services they will be slowly getting their hands into indie's pockets.

    Also where are you getting "most companies" have them from? Blizzard is just one company and the only others I know of, Aeria is a horrible company and the other planning this is PWI and they are makers of crap games. Funcom, Turbine, NCSoft, Zenimax, Sony, Frogstar, NDoors, Square, Nexon, Runewalker...they don't have one nor are planning one and many of them have far more MMOs available.

    Even EA isn't forcing its Origin launcher on everyone even though their games use the Origin downloader.

    Something like this should be optional especially if it means alienating some customers.
    Glyph is just a launcher, nothing else. I dont get why people are upset about it. It is a single place to update trion games that they made or i guess published.

    You do realize your guild is getting upset about 3rd party games and are talking about Archeage only right now? I mean, honestly, if they left because of that, I agree there were probably other issues.

    Trion wrapping Archage into a launcher that works with Rift as well is pretty cool actually and I can't for the life of me figure out why it is so bad.
    Last edited by Hydron; 03-23-2014 at 09:14 AM.

  8. #8
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    4,433

    Default

    Trion are trying to reinvent the wheel but they'll make the wheel square. They want to replicate the success of Steam but we all know they have no expertise in this field to make it a success. I'm all for a unified launcher even though at present Trion only have two games. My guess is that they wont get any big names but those they get will be indie developers. You'll have adverts for games but it will be ones (one :P) you can download from their launcher. Who thought of the name glyph, terrible, terrible name and the colour scheme.

  9. #9
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rakasha681 View Post
    Its still basically boils down to the same thing, which is a limited amount of people making a big deal about nothing. Sorry if your guild lost 17 people from it, but even if there were no surface issues, those 17 players were already on their way out, looking for an excuse, and this was their perception of the straw that broke their camels back.
    Posters like you are the reason why I normally stay away from forums. You cant help but minimalize people that go against your own beliefs and try anything to dismiss them.

    I came here because it was all of a sudden, there are rarely any complaints in my guild and there was NOTHING said badly about Rift before the glyph comments yesterday.

    And no, I don't think Trion is in any position to dismiss any of its customers from turning away looking at how poorly their games are doing right now which no doubt may be the reason why they are looking for bringing in any new revenue the can to stem the flow and no doubt turning away their current customers is not part of that plan.

    BTW, using a current version of glyph is not the same as a new version that is vastly different than the current one. Or do you equate using Windows 8 with using Windows 7, Vista or XP also?!? Either way, its a foolish comment to make.
    Last edited by JJones; 03-23-2014 at 11:42 AM.

  10. #10
    Soulwalker Zhuge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Their ignoring those against this just proves they don't care about their current consumers at all and are hoping they will gain more than they lose. Its the Microsoft mentality, take your vision and try to force it on everyone and damn those that don't go with it, and much like Microsoft feeling the pinch of no longer being the monopoly that could get away with it and losing market share and not being able to dent others, Trion is a small MMO maker that forgets there are other options out there for those that want to stick to their standards over a game.

    Makes me regret ever buying the game and investing in it knowing I may have helped fund this effort to get a stranglehold on indie's and shove advertisements in our faces...I get enough of those from Steam, something worth supporting because their service is for the entire industry.

  11. #11
    Ascendant Maeloda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    7,617

    Default

    Oh no, a program that launches my games.

  12. #12
    Champion
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zhuge View Post
    Their ignoring those against this just proves they don't care about their current consumers at all and are hoping they will gain more than they lose. Its the Microsoft mentality, take your vision and try to force it on everyone and damn those that don't go with it, and much like Microsoft feeling the pinch of no longer being the monopoly that could get away with it and losing market share and not being able to dent others, Trion is a small MMO maker that forgets there are other options out there for those that want to stick to their standards over a game.

    Makes me regret ever buying the game and investing in it knowing I may have helped fund this effort to get a stranglehold on indie's and shove advertisements in our faces...I get enough of those from Steam, something worth supporting because their service is for the entire industry.
    Lol you have concocted a scenario that has yet to occur. Right now glyph is basically a universal patcher for all of Trion's games. If you play more than 1 Trion game it is a straight up improvement, not subjectively, and if you only play rift all that is changed for you is that you got a reskinned/renamed patcher. Some day it could be the evil you are suggesting, but it isn't at the moment and your theories are based on nothing.

  13. #13
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    4

    Default

    If this was just a Trion game launcher I wouldn't personally care at all but what Trion is planning places it beyond my willing to support this launcher.

    Please make the upcoming glyph launcher with non-Trion games optional. I do not care about other companies offerings and indies should remain with kickstarter and crowd funding not under the control of another game company. It defeats the purpose of the indie market which is being free of larger game companies having their hands in it trying to control them.

  14. #14
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dalthium View Post
    Lol you have concocted a scenario that has yet to occur.

    Some day it could be the evil you are suggesting, but it isn't at the moment and your theories are based on nothing.
    Congrats, the entire thread went over your head.

    Its all about UPCOMING changes and still tried to make it sound like people are making it up yet its been announced by Trion. People should not wait until a change is made to then voice their opposition to it in hopes to have it changed or made optional.

    I will flat out leave Rift because my belief in the indie market is stronger, they are the ones pushing the field forward the most and they should remain free of larger companies that will want to control them as well as not needing another launcher pushing other companies games on me. If I want that, I will start up Steam.

  15. #15
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,671

    Default

    I feel your pain OP, my guild lost 0 members because of glyph. It's a tragedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Frailaq View Post

    tl;dr - Trion should do this: Melee = Turret Ranged > Mobile Ranged

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts