+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is this game using CryEngine?

Default Is this game using CryEngine?

From the videos i have seen is looks very impressive. Does anyone know if they are using CryEngine?

Default Gamebryo

I think it's Gamebryo... any confirmations?

http://www.emergent.net/en/Products/Gamebryo/
    Last edited by Osho; 05-07-2010 at 09:17 AM.

Aren't they using some special engine to do all of the dynamic events? I haven't any idea, really.

Quote Originally Posted by hydd View Post
    Aren't they using some special engine to do all of the dynamic events? I haven't any idea, really.
    I believe they're using the Hero Engine for that.

Could you talk about the graphics engine?

Heroes of Telara runs on a heavily modified version of the Gamebryo engine, which uses a deferred renderer. We like to describe the look of the game as ‘stylized realism.’ The people, places and creatures of Telara are realistically modelled and rendered, but it’s still clearly a fantasy setting unlike anything in history.
    Source: http://mmorpg.gamesource.it/Articolo...ervista-2.html

Official Rift Fan Site Operator Ciovala's Avatar

Gamebryo as stated on twitter in the past, and it was only DX9 in 2009, but who knows how much things have changed since then.

A wiki is only as good as its contributors – won't you help?
    The original Rift Wiki - EN DE FR
    [Add a guild] [Add an Item] [Add a Quest]

Could have fooled me. The game looks amazing.

The engine and API are only a part of what any game looks like. It has a lot more to do with how they use what's available from a style and efficiency standpoint. There are games that use older engines and DX9 that look 100% better than some games using the latest engines and DX11. Part of this is that developers have not had the time to learn all the tricks they can do with the new DirectX, but I think the talent of the artists and animators > any other consideration. I don't care what it runs on, just make the graphics beautiful and cohesive, and make it run smoothly.
    "Behind this mask, there's an idea... and ideas are bulletproof." -V for Vendetta

forums - Fozzik's Hardware
    blog - The Last Bastion

Shame I was hoping for HERO :P That means the SciFi MMO of TRION is probably using HERO tho

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Quote Originally Posted by Ciovala View Post
    and it was only DX9 in 2009, but who knows how much things have changed since then.
    Skimming the site it looks like it caps at DX10. IMO they shouldn't be saying "HD" in every interview unless it's running in DX11 with ATi Eyefinity / Nvidia Surround. It's just not 'PC HD' if it's not.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

Default Gamebryo + Trion Magic

Rift uses a custom engine, derived from Gamebryo. We began development with Gamebryo, which provided an awesome head-start, and we were able to get up and running quickly. Over time we customized or replaced most of the major pieces, providing our own solutions for lighting, animation, shaders, model streaming, and other components. We have talented in-house staff that develops our custom engine, so we control our own rendering destiny instead of waiting for someone else to provide features or support.

As was stated elsewhere, the Rift engine uses DX9 for best compatibility, with great visuals. It's a deferred renderering architecture, which allows for some cool effects, and makes it cheaper to render scenes with large numbers of point lights like you see in the video trailers. Night time looks especially awesome in Rift, with every fire, lamp, and spell casting a flickering glow on the world around it. Nothing is pre-baked: all of the lighting is dynamic, which of course is necessary for a game based around dynamic content.

Although I'm a Trion gear-head, my hat's off to the team's art staff, who have created some truly amazing stuff. At the end of the day, no amount of whiz-bang rendering technology will turn a dull, flat environment into a compelling one. Look at Gloamwood, or Darkening Deeps, or Silverwood. Look at the quality of the character models, the NPCs, and the animations. The art team has created some incredible content while working within the box the programmers have provided. They've developed custom shaders for everything from horse hair to tree bark. Go read through the developer intro thread again to see some of the artists who have helped created one stunning-looking game.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveChamberlin View Post
    Rift uses a custom engine, derived from Gamebryo. We began development with Gamebryo, which provided an awesome head-start, and we were able to get up and running quickly. Over time we customized or replaced most of the major pieces, providing our own solutions for lighting, animation, shaders, model streaming, and other components. We have talented in-house staff that develops our custom engine, so we control our own rendering destiny instead of waiting for someone else to provide features or support.

As was stated elsewhere, the Rift engine uses DX9 for best compatibility, with great visuals. It's a deferred renderering architecture, which allows for some cool effects, and makes it cheaper to render scenes with large numbers of point lights like you see in the video trailers. Night time looks especially awesome in Rift, with every fire, lamp, and spell casting a flickering glow on the world around it. Nothing is pre-baked: all of the lighting is dynamic, which of course is necessary for a game based around dynamic content.

Although I'm a Trion gear-head, my hat's off to the team's art staff, who have created some truly amazing stuff. At the end of the day, no amount of whiz-bang rendering technology will turn a dull, flat environment into a compelling one. Look at Gloamwood, or Darkening Deeps, or Silverwood. Look at the quality of the character models, the NPCs, and the animations. The art team has created some incredible content while working within the box the programmers have provided. They've developed custom shaders for everything from horse hair to tree bark. Go read through the developer intro thread again to see some of the artists who have helped created one stunning-looking game.
    Indeed the work is incredible! A well written 360° information post. Thank you Steve!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveChamberlin View Post

Thanks for the information! Your artists and animators are indeed amazingly talented.
    Those who guard nature, guard life itself. Those who defile nature bring death and destruction upon us all.

A very positive point for RIFT Dev team is that community have constant interaction with "them"

Previous Thread Disscussing : Click Here

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast