+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Will we ever have new races?

Quote Originally Posted by Ketta View Post
    Any MMOG that has a playable cat race gets my support! It's not a deal-breaker if they don't, but it's a HUGE plus if they do...I tend to overlook a lot of little game flaws in favor of kitties. I make do in Rift with the black panther mount and the panther kitten. For now.

I have lots of fond memories of the expansion where EQ introduced the Vah Shir...
    I could get with a feline-esque race, as long as they did it freaky and weird, not cute and saccharine.
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

Quote Originally Posted by ilex011 View Post
    I could get with a feline-esque race, as long as they did it freaky and weird, not cute and saccharine.
    I think ESO has done a really good job with their feline race. Not cute and cuddly (though you could make an attempt at it), a lot of opportunity for tweaking (scars, adornments, etc.), and very cat-like movements. (NDA has been essentially lifted, in case some think I'm in violation here). Not necessarily freakish, but definitely NOT lap cats. However, the disappointment for me was the strongly humanoid model.

Horizons (RIP...) had a great cat model. It kept to the felinoid form, walking on toes rather than feet (like a cat's actual hind legs) but without the clumsy movement you STILL see in some models using this style. Really nice fluid movement.

3.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #48

ArcheAge has a really good cat race, the Firran. They have enough humanity to wear all the fantastic outfits in the game, yet still have some very signature feline behavior. Especially when they sprint in the game.

We also want to add new races to the game, but as been pointed out, it is a very expensive addition to the game. We need to find the right time where we can add it into the game. I'm not promising when or what, just that it's something that is actively on our minds.

At least one race mentioned here has had some concept art done as a player race. But we probably won't do that. Probably.

At some point there were two different (new) races that were listed in Rift datafiles as player races but never made it :P

oooh, and the plot thickens!

Quote Originally Posted by captaincursor View Post
    ArcheAge has a really good cat race, the Firran. They have enough humanity to wear all the fantastic outfits in the game, yet still have some very signature feline behavior. Especially when they sprint in the game.
    (snip)
    Of course I had to go Google Image the Firran. Beware- as comes with the territory of furry fanart, there are some things that cannot be un-seen.

Anyway, if nothing is being changed from the char creation, yeah, these guys are cool. And seem to walk on their toes like cats. The creation options are SO detailed that you could feasibly make them freakish looking *or* cutesy, if that's your bag. My only complaint is that once again, the males seem to by default look fiercer than the females- gah! The ladycats should have slitted eyes too!!

Back OT: yes, it would be interesting to see what races the planes are made up of in Rift.
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

-Sourcestone artificial creations that wish harmony with others - aka a subversion of the Defiants
    -Demonic-ish species that simultaneously seeks redemption - aka a subversion of the Guardians

Those are the themes I want. In fact, I've wanted them for over a year now :P

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by TehFrank View Post
    At some point there were two different (new) races that were listed in Rift datafiles as player races but never made it :P
    ORLY. What was the placeholder name? Any info at all? Wild speculation time!
    I will not delete my characters for an unwated server merge.

I was thinking the other day that a race that does have armor, weapons, and combat animations already built in is the Dragonian race from Redoubt in the Droughtlands. Conveniently, that area borders with Planetouched Wilds as well, and there are hints of buildings you can see in the Planetouched wilds.

Rift Disciple

I don't think lore is really the issue. There's always ways to be creative and not break the lore.

It's the cost issue. To make it manageable, the new race would have to have the same basic body as existing races but it could still be fun to have some new ones all the same.

I'd like to see fae as a playable race. Maybe a few were recruited by the defiants. Who says their tech only works on their three main races? But that would probably be a little too complicated to add, too much new modeling.

Quote Originally Posted by captaincursor View Post

We also want to add new races to the game, but as been pointed out, it is a very expensive addition to the game. We need to find the right time where we can add it into the game. I'm not promising when or what, just that it's something that is actively on our minds.

At least one race mentioned here has had some concept art done as a player race. But we probably won't do that. Probably.
    I think if Trion make a new race it will be a success for the game. And a new race can be considered like a fluff item so Trion can make money selling the new race in Rift Store.
    "No pain, No Gain"
    "The supposition that the newcomers need to "learn to play" or "do better" is silly. ~Daglar"

Quote Originally Posted by caitie View Post
    You could fit in new races from a lore standpoint. From a practical point I would like more love given to the existing ones first. The models can feel plastic and some animations need fixed.
    Definitely especially the walk animation and melee combat. I think a better engine is needed for those btw.

Rift could use a chubby race, it would fit (since many rift devs are chubby themselves :P )
    Last edited by Kaiser Phoenix; 04-02-2014 at 09:39 AM.

I can certainly agree that there is an attractive quality to the idea of a new race. But it certainly wouldn't make the top of my list of near future needs. As a long time mmorpg player, I've always been one who's partial to more content than more cosmetic appeal. Sure, show me a shiny new race and I'll probably buy it. (supposing it's neither panda-esque or a Hutt) However, if the question at hand is content vs. new playable race, count my vote towards content.

Besides, i can respect Trion's cunning attempt at ending in-game racism by keeping the choices similar in model. ;-)

I wouldn't be suprised if this happened at some point in 4.0 and beyond. I doubt we'll be getting any more souls after this expansion, because of balance issues, so the devs might need something "flashy" for a new expansion. Building a new race is extremely time consuming, but so is building new souls, I would wager.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast