Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Some friendly Noob tips from Gz

Default Some friendly Noob tips from Gz

Hi. I'm a fairly new pve'er and have made an impressive amount of progress in Rift as a raider since I've started last month.

I've made a large amount of mistakes and am here to share those lessons I've learned in retrospect to any new players that may have long term goals of being a T2/T3 raider, as I am now close to being maxed gear.

1. DO NOT JUMP AROUND OR DO UNNECESSARY MOVEMENT WHILE DOING ROTATIONS.

Being a PvPer, I would ALWAYS Jump around my target to minimize the amount of abilities they landed on me. However in PvE this is a detrimental mistake. While jumping constantly in PvE you miss the opportunity to use abilities which result in a HUGE dps loss, and overall performance failure. You also do not want to jump out of mechanics (aoe damage, knockbacks) but simply run to a safe zone while still dps'ing your target.

A good way to test this theory is to go into your highest dps melee spec, and parse on a dummy once while standing still, and another while constantly tapping the space bar or periodically tapping it during your parse. The numbers don't lie.

2. SAVE YOUR CURRENCY

I cannot stress how disappointed I was to spend all of my EsM on desolate gear/weapons, just to have them replaced by T2 items a week later. I encourage anyone who's going to to long term raiding to SAVE your EsM (Empyreal Slayer Marks) for gear Upgrades, that allow you to get your four piece synergy crystal bonus (AND NO FURTHER) also for trinket upgrades as you will be getting a lot of them to swap around depending on the spec you're currently using.

3. SAVE YOUR GEAR EVEN IF YOU REPLACE IT.

This is probably the one I've ignored the most going into T2 raiding. Once a T2 piece drops that doesn't mean you just trash the T1.

Because once you hit CP cap you'll be swapping around gear like there's no tomorrow. You want to save your weapons/Gear to better optimize your layout once you have enough cp to swap some things out to maximize your performance.

4.GUILD GUILD GUILD GUILD GUILD

Home is where the heart is they say. If you're not happy with your guild. LEAVE. One week in a guild you're not happy with is a VERY big deal. Whether it be you're benched, or you simply don't like the people there. It's game, it's supposed to be fun, so find a guild that is progressed, a guild that you can grow from, a guild that suites your personality, and a guild that you're willing to stay with for a while.

If you're not happy, leave. It's really that simple.

5.GRIND NOW/PLAY LATER

The sooner your grind your reps. The better.

The first thing I did once I hit 60 was max Torvan/Lychini/and other reps in about a week of questing/farming great hunts. This was a good idea because now I don't have to worry about questing or not having BIS items because I have a lame rune. In some scenarios crap items with BIS runes > Good items with crap runes.

Also the completed sigil is one of your biggest upgrades, and costs no money unless you plan on upgrading your greater, so that should be your top priority. Followed by the rep runes.

6. MASTER YOUR CLASS.

This is a paramount step into being considered an exceptional player. For example, if someone is maxed geared but has the worst rotation. You can easily take his raiding spot simply by knowing your rotation, knowing the boss encounters, and outperforming that person. Rotation > Gear, because gear is something anyone can get, rotation isn't.

If you play a versatile class, master all needed specs for that class (Heal, Support, DPS, Tank). If you main dps, MASTER the dps rotations and outparse those people who don't deserve that gear. A competitive mind with a lot of practice, a good mentality to have is there should be no one in your class out parsing you. And if there is, find out why, and fix it.

6.5 - RESEARCH.

Going beyond mastering your class, you want to do a LOT of research. This can be for boss mechanics, mastering your specs, BiS lists. How to grind, and more! The amount of I've done to maximize my performance in Rift has payed off immensely, and if you're serious about being the best you can be, a 10 minute research session before raid time can help you drastically. Here are some sites that have helped me so far.

http://www.riftscene.com/ - Good for BiS lists, boss guides, and specs.
    http://rift.magelo.com/ - Good for questing, maps, portal locations, crafting lists
    http://riftgrate.com/ - Good to stay up to date with upcoming updates. Also has few guides
    http://www.riftgame.com/en/shardstatus/ - Good to see if your shard is online or not

7. HAVE FUN

Rift is a game, and this is a thing most people forget at times. I can't tell you how many times I've been in a guild where people get upset over minuscule things that have no effect on their life in reality. How many times I've seen people rage over something simple and not be a kind person simply because someone is new or haven't learned a certain mechanic.

Friendly banter is fine, but remember to have fun and keep it respectful, because we're all humans, and we all make mistakes.

Have fun, hope this post helps you on your quest to raiding in Rift!
    Last edited by Official310; 03-01-2014 at 02:42 PM.
    Ghetto Fabulous

Do you have a mixtape?

Some good points in there.
    Last edited by Boase; 03-01-2014 at 03:06 PM.
    T for Trinity
    42k Achievement Points Club
    I has stream https://www.twitch.tv/boase Add me on GW2 Boase.6204 or Bnet Boase!#1862

Wow. Actually some very sane stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Boase View Post
    Do you have a mixtape?

Some good points in there.
    double /flex
    Ghetto Fabulous

Quote Originally Posted by Official310 View Post
    http://www.riftscene.com/ - Good for BiS lists, boss guides, and specs.
    While everything else here is fine, riftscene is no longer the best place, let alone a good place, to find updated BiS lists or specs aside from RR's tank ones. For those, looking in the guides section here on these forums is where you will mainly find your updated class guides as well as your BiS spreadsheet creators.

Quote Originally Posted by Sedvick View Post
    While everything else here is fine, riftscene is no longer the best place, let alone a good place, to find updated BiS lists or specs aside from RR's tank ones. For those, looking in the guides section here on these forums is where you will mainly find your updated class guides as well as your BiS spreadsheet creators.
    very true. you want to use the BiS weights for designated classes on forums but for newer players Rift Scene's list worked fine for me initially since I wasn't picky on gear drops. Thanks for the tip.
    Last edited by Official310; 03-01-2014 at 04:35 PM.
    Ghetto Fabulous

Quote Originally Posted by Yanicore View Post
    Wow. Actually some very sane stuff.
    glad you think so.
    Ghetto Fabulous

you talk like you follow more than one of these points
    most hypocritical post NA

Quote Originally Posted by Kazzkazz View Post
    something hater related
    .....Hodor.
    Ghetto Fabulous

TIU wants their plat back for making your relic cape then having you bounce 2 days later.
    Vigil- Seonie

Plane Touched

dear mr. gz

could you please give me some tips on playing beastmaster

your pal,
    zart

Rift Chaser

I just want to know the flyest warrior NA does aside from guild hopping for welfare gear

10/10 would read again

Quote Originally Posted by Seonie View Post
    TIU wants their plat back for making your relic cape then having you bounce 2 days later.
    Gz@Greybriar wants his time invested to a guild back that did nothing but ridicule him. by the way. Addiction paid for the cape. All you guys did was give me a rex for the tip, which I offered to pay back.
    Last edited by Official310; 03-01-2014 at 10:18 PM.
    Ghetto Fabulous

Quote Originally Posted by zartosht View Post
    dear mr. gz

could you please give me some tips on playing beastmaster

your pal,
    zart
    lol, miss you too.
    Ghetto Fabulous

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast