Closed Thread
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree473Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Please Be Aware: New Forum Toxicity Policies

1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #1

Default Please Be Aware: New Forum Toxicity Policies

Hi all,

We aim to make the forum experience useful and informative for everyone, for players and developers alike. We need to get accurate information out, and more importantly we need to hear your opinions and feedback. We especially need to hear when you're skeptical, questioning, or in complete disagreement. As long as it's a constructive post, we still value it greatly, and will continue to make improvements based on your feedback.

Beginning last summer, we started experiment in openness in our forums. We did this because we wanted to create an environment where everyone was positive that their voices were being heard. It was a time when some had doubts, and believed our forums were being over-moderated. Our response was to be transparent in the extreme.

In recent months, a number of people have chosen to take advantage of that system. A good many of you have pointed out, via a massively increasing number of reported posts and accounts.

An experiment that began with the best intentions to maximize inclusion now frequently devolves into troll accounts making personal attacks, threats against other players and staff, and posts that provide no value but to invent controversy where none exists.

We now officially spend far more time moderating trolls and negative-value posts by attempting to measure noxiousness with infractions than we do interacting with you in productive ways that improve our games for the communities we value so dearly. It's a rare day, if ever, that our moderators get to spend time doing anything but managing the growing queues of people reporting pure toxicity. That's exactly the opposite of the way things work the best for any of us.

Today, we’re moving forward with a couple of changes to correct that imbalance:
    • Posts that contain threats, attacks, or zero-value trolls will be deleted. They may also result in an immediate and permanent revocation of posting privileges. These will not use a time consuming infraction system. A good guideline to use for tone is: If you wouldn’t want someone walking into your living room speaking the words you’re about to post; it’s best to find another way to say it.

• Users who have previously had their forum access revoked, and create second, third, fourth, fifth...and so on, troll accounts, may now see penalties on their game accounts. (Yes, people really do this.) Those penalties range from suspensions to revocation of game access.

Our goal is to make the forum experience as useful to everyone as possible, both when it's positive and negative, as long as it's constructive, and we hope these changes get us one step closer to that.

We value your contributions and thank you for your patience.

- The Trion Community Team
    CM Morgana ~ Community Coordinator ~
    Avatar art is courtesy of Allie Brosh!

Quote Originally Posted by CM Morgana View Post
    • Posts that contain threats, attacks, or zero-value trolls will be deleted. They may also result in an immediate and permanent revocation of posting privileges. These will not use a time consuming infraction system. A good guideline to use for tone is: If you wouldn’t want someone walking into your living room speaking the words you’re about to post; it’s best to find another way to say it.

• Users who have previously had their forum access revoked, and create second, third, fourth, fifth...and so on, troll accounts, may now see penalties on their game accounts. (Yes, people really do this.) Those penalties range from suspensions to revocation of game access.
    Well this is quite interesting. Curious to see where this leads, hoping it leads to better forums :-).

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

I have mixed feelings about this. My concern is this:

People are often very poor at evaluating rules, especially when they can't see the boundaries. I think the "user received an infraction for this post" thing has in some ways significantly improved discussion. And, honestly, comparing things now to the tone of discourse as it was last August, before the current state, I think the forums are overall friendlier now than they were then. On the other hand, if it's being a ton more work to maintain, then that's a legit concern.

I am basically in favor of "sufficient forum abuse can have consequences for game account", though, because I think a lot of the worst problems involve people who have figured they have no reason to care either way.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Ascendant

Interesting....very interesting.

5.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #5

The little box with "user has received an infraction for this post" won't be going away entirely! The more run of the mill and teachable infractions will still be left up.

The content that will be removed is going to be the wilfully malicious stuff, especially if it's an untrue fact we've debunked a number of times.
    CM Morgana ~ Community Coordinator ~
    Avatar art is courtesy of Allie Brosh!

Rift Chaser

i bet you anything people will freak out reading this lol. at least the trolls will. bad enough they freak out when you guys do chat testing in game and it goes down for not even 20 minutes .

Telaran

I got banned on MapleStory for making about 200 troll accounts on the forums. That was 5 years ago though I no more do such things

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

The little box with "user has received an infraction for this post" won't be going away entirely! The more run of the mill and teachable infractions will still be left up.

The content that will be removed is going to be the wilfully malicious stuff, especially if it's an untrue fact we've debunked a number of times.
    Oh-hoh! Well, that I'm in favor of.

But this requires me to stress even more the importance of a thing: One of the things that first got Daglar commenting on forum tone was people calling the devs greedy maggots. And if people are going to start facing actual problems from trolling up the forums with various baseless accusations... That means that the window of opportunity is passing.

We need a Greedy Maggot companion pet (credits only, of course). It should be a little maggot pet that follows you around. The descriptive text should be something like "You paid, so you won! Your prize is a disgusting maggot. Congratulations?" Also, it should be possible to /inspect it and it should appear to be kitted out in full raid gear of the highest tier in the game. :P

(For extra credit: Make it so that, like Patron Passes, it gives a nonstandard amount of loyalty when bought. Specifically, exactly one loyalty more than it would be worth just based on the price in credits.)
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Quote Originally Posted by sofeorus View Post
    i bet you anything people will freak out reading this lol. at least the trolls will. bad enough they freak out when you guys do chat testing in game and it goes down for not even 20 minutes .
    "My fix...I MUST HAVE MY FIX!" Picturing someone on the other end, caressing their keyboard in anticipation of chat coming back up so their trolling can continue...

I'm a big supporter of zero tolerance policy in terms of trolling as Morgana describes. I've spent a fair bit of time moderating on gaming forums, and it's really the only policy that works. Allowing a certain amount of tolerance or allowing a 'line' to be drawn that 'shalt not be passed or else' just encourages those boundaries to be pushed.

So, I'm glad to see this going forward. Most trolls I've encountered and/or had to deal with can't take even the least bit of criticism--saying anything back to them (especially if you're in a position of authority or power, i.e. holding the ban-stick) as they say it to you or others makes them CRAZY. Most people here can grasp the concept of 'if you don't want it said to you, don't say it to others' easily, but those who walk the Path of Trolldom seem to dismiss it entirely.

Thanks, in advance.

Very good to hear that a lot of the "nonsense" that is consistently posted here every day will be acted upon.
    Last edited by RoughRaptors; 02-26-2014 at 06:11 PM.

Rift Chaser

I actually have an issue in game with some serious harassment from a player. These are now including death threats on people in my guild as well as their children. I have sent up a report for a GM but I have not received a response, and the abuse is continuing. Figured since we are doing a new procedure here on the forums perhaps someone can give me a suggestion on a way to deal with this player in game . . .

I know its somewhat off topic, but its a bit extreme now and its to multiple people.
    Even -Pax Illuminatus- Faeblight Shard
    Oddrit - Pax Illuminatus - Faeblight Shard

Here ends the simple "Nyancat" posts in threads.
    Sad day =v.v=

Quote Originally Posted by Even View Post
    I actually have an issue in game with some serious harassment from a player. These are now including death threats on people in my guild as well as their children. I have sent up a report for a GM but I have not received a response, and the abuse is continuing. Figured since we are doing a new procedure here on the forums perhaps someone can give me a suggestion on a way to deal with this player in game . . .

I know its somewhat off topic, but its a bit extreme now and its to multiple people.
    PM Morgana would be my advice.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by RoughRaptors View Post
    PM Morgana would be my advice.
    I actually did PM her . . . no response to that either. I have had to block IP's on this guy on our website and our TS server but I cannot do anything about in game harassment. I need Trion's help with that.
    Even -Pax Illuminatus- Faeblight Shard
    Oddrit - Pax Illuminatus - Faeblight Shard

Sounds like just another way to protect the white knights and special snowflakes and put a stop to those willing to speak out when they feel something is wrong.

If you want yes men do a blog not a forum.

Check out Soldiers Ink. Combat Strategy Game.
    http://plarium.com/en/games/soldiers...3ZWU00#/signup

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast