+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Tropical Budgie!!

Default Tropical Budgie!!

The only budgie mount that I liked and would have bought (directly) - you guys went and put it in a lockbox.

Thanks a lot.

-growls-

No problem.

It appears all these "new" things are just plain old money grabs.

Ascendant

but if they let u buy it straight up, you will probably still be here just making a different post saying "a mount for $20? LOlOlOlOLOLOLololOLoLOlOLoLOlOlolOLOLolOLoLOlolOLo LOLolOLoLOlOLOLOlOLolOLolOLOloLOlolOloL, wow is looking so much better at this point".
    Last edited by WarUltima; 02-12-2014 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WarUltima View Post
    but if they let u buy it straight up, you will probably still be here just making a different post saying "a mount for $20? LOlOlOlOLOLOLololOLoLOlOLoLOlOlolOLOLolOLoLOlolOLo LOLolOLoLOlOLOLOlOLolOLolOLOloLOlolOloL, wow is looking so much better at this point".
    You know what happens when we assume

I'm halfway through orange tier loyalty - I've spent a decent amount of money on the game. I have no problem buying something directly. Just dislike gambling.

You may have a different perspective and that's great, but try to express that without needing to resort to kindergarten tactics, more people might take you seriuosly.

Rift Chaser

I am really, really tired of the gambling boxes.

I'm tired of seeing Trion prey on the segment of the customer base that has a gambling problem. (Note: I am not saying everyone who buys a lockbox has an issue.) It is unquestionable that the company is aware of the completist mentality that is present in much of the gaming population, and, to me, it seems unscrupulous to take advantage of that psychological trait.

I'm tired of seeing thread after thread being posted related to disappointment because the RNG chance is so low.

I'm tired of seeing vanity items that people would gladly buy directly being made inaccessible due to budgetary constraints based on those of us capable of doing math and determining how much a gamble box mount will cost if our luck is bad, as it is likely to be. It's not even that we can't afford it -- it's just that our priorities and sense of value will not permit us to spend that much on a bunch of pixels.

I've never bought one of the boxes, and I never intend to buy one. I wish others would stop encouraging the practice by spending their money in this way, but, unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the way that things are going currently.
    Last edited by Jirahar; 02-12-2014 at 01:34 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Jirahar View Post
    I am really, really tired of the gambling boxes.

I'm tired of seeing Trion prey on the segment of the customer base that has a gambling problem. (Note: I am not saying everyone who buys a lockbox has an issue.) It is unquestionable that the company is aware of the completist mentality that is present in much of the gaming population, and, to me, it seems unscrupulous to take advantage of that trait.

I'm tired of seeing thread after thread being posted related to disappointment because the RNG chance is so low.

I'm tired of seeing vanity items, that people would gladly buy directly, being made inaccessible due to budgetary constraints based on those of us capable of doing math and determining how much a gamble box mount will cost if our luck is bad, as it is likely to be. It's not even that we can't afford it -- it's just that our priorities and sense of value will not permit us to spend that much on a bunch of pixels.

I've never bought one of the boxes, and I never intend to buy one. I wish others would stop encouraging the practice by spending their money in this way, but that doesn't seem to be the way that things are going for the time being.
    Agreed.. I was loving this game, but its really getting old with these stupid boxes. I refuse to play them personally.. maybe if they were cheaper like 50 credits or something.. but the gamble is never worth the outcome lol.
    I would have gladly bought it direct too tho.. so in a way, they are losing a lot of $.. theyd just lose more if the rest of the player base would boycott the boxes.. it would benefit everyone -_- but sadly people are stupid.

On the idea of purchasable mounts: I purchased just the mounts that provided the speed I required...then found that all my previous mounts sped up to the highest one. I am not someone who collects a stable full of mounts or pets.

It appears my drops from rift running or artifact completion or something similar, provides me with a variety. Many of these I just don't use. For instance, I have two of the Hell bug mounts (purple and red), but hate to ride them because I get motion sickness when ever I do. I can't sell them nor can I rune break them or anything else. ....I am stuck with them. But heaven forbid had I purchased them only to find out this after the transaction.

But I do not remember seeing where I can purchase a lower speed mount which would actually be useful. Our guild does a lot of group runs and we tend to pull along those close to leveling to help them out. But they have slower mounts and even if they were able to or wanted to purchase the faster ones, they could not ride them until they reach level.

So two things here:
    1) It would be helpful to have the ability to toggle a speed on a current mount to help out slower folks.
    2) Having a "chance" to get a mount is not my idea of an option. I refuse to gamble on chances...that is just wrong.

Shadowlander

Thats alright. Ill spend my 40 dollars elsewhere and buy that new final fantasy 10/10-2 remaster. Id rather use my money on something that doesnt take a month to make.

The Tropical Budgie was my favorite as well. I thought for Sure Trion would put one of the Budgie mounts up for direct sale, and of course I'd hoped it would be that one. That's a real disappointment. Will there even be more mounts for direct sale? Or is it all gamble mounts from hereonout?
    RIFT- now Pay 2 Gamble 2 Win
    <Shattered Chain> of Faeblight .::. currently enjoying Guild Wars 2

Quote Originally Posted by lynspottery View Post
    It appears all these "new" things are just plain old money grabs.
    No idea what your point is. Cosmetic and fluff items are the absolute best things to sell for credits/real money. The game has to make money somehow etc etc etc.
    A differently skinned budgie will be earnable in game eventually.
    Yeah, they could/should have put one up for credits direct. There's plenty of mounts in there already available for credits though.
    Yeah, gamble boxes are a rip off. So don't buy any and stop wasting effort worrying about them. Alternately, feel pleased that the people buying them are paying for the game you play (and if the boxes didn't make money for Trion, they wouldn't keep coming back!).
    As for not having the skin you want guaranteed, I would like a million dollars a day, but it's no skin off my back when that doesn't happen. It's your choice to get angry about it. They can't please everyone all the time and today was not your day.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Shattered View Post
    I thought for Sure Trion would put one of the Budgie mounts up for direct sale, and of course I'd hoped it would be that one. That's a real disappointment. Will there even be more mounts for direct sale? Or is it all gamble mounts from hereonout?
    I'm glad you brought this up, Shattered. I'd like to see them test that earned/direct sale/gamble box mount theory that I suggested elsewhere on these forums.

Instead, while I do not wish to imply calculated intent upon the part of those running the Rift store, it looks bad that they waited a week to put the new budgie trove up. A lot of people weren't aware that it was coming, as most don't read the forums. The mount was clearly functional prior to the patch, based on the ones they gave out at the livestream event the Friday before, so why did they delay?

I do not work for Trion, but based on external appearances, one could construe that they deliberately delayed the prettiest/most popular flavor, hoping that people would buy the troves for the Frosty Budgie, then suddenly realize there was a budgie they wanted even more, thus spending additional money.

I hope this isn't really the case. I hope there was some other reason for delaying the third budgie mount that isn't so brazen and greedy. However, I can't think of one, so perhaps one of the developers can enlighten us.
    Last edited by Jirahar; 02-12-2014 at 09:32 PM.

I understand that TRION needs to make money but they're starting to become World of Lockboxes. Everything new is about lockboxes. New mount? Lockbox. New event? Lockbox. BUY BUY BUY. Might as well have commercials to buy a lockbox after every ten mobs you kill at this point. Sure I understand that lockboxes generate revenue, but at this point every new shiny cool thing is being shoved in a gambling box with craptastic odds to get it to encourage more buying.

It's getting old fast, TRION. Your game is becoming a commercial. I fastforward through those or leave the room. Needless to say, with other games coming out you guys need to tone it down a bit or you'll end up driving more than me away from your game.

The game needs to have some shinies in its OWN right that are attractive and cute and not put all creative fun things behind a pay wall, or worse into a lockbox for gambling every single time.

I understand lockboxes make money, but lockboxes also make people angry and frustrated and feel they've WASTED time and money on your game. That's probably not the way you want your customers to feel.

Tone down the commercials. Bring back the content. Where'd the bug invasion go? The one that was being fixed and slated for November that never came? Fun game things that didn't involve commercials.

Every time I see a new mount, pet, or whatever thrown into a lockbox, it leads to me feeling disappointed. In the game. In TRION. I know I have wasted money on these gimmicks of horrible RNG, and regret it. I wish I hadn't given TRION that money now, so they'd at least tone it down.

IF you guys are going to have lockboxes, at least do them like Neverwinter does them. Post what you can get in them with no tricks or traps. Full disclosure. You could even post the real odds (though I imagine that'd deter people from buying them). And make sure everyone gets something decent for their buck, not some useless potion as a 'whammy' punishment. Everything in that box should be of decent 'value'.
    Faeblight Forever!

Quote Originally Posted by lynspottery View Post
    1) It would be helpful to have the ability to toggle a speed on a current mount to help out slower folks.
    Invite slower folks into a raid, mentor to 55, they now have the base speed of your mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Lireh View Post
    ...they're starting to become World of Lockboxes.
    Lol, good one.

And sadly becoming too true.
    RIFT- now Pay 2 Gamble 2 Win
    <Shattered Chain> of Faeblight .::. currently enjoying Guild Wars 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast