+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Healer Opinions Wanted!

Plane Walker

Default Healer Opinions Wanted!

I want to get back to healing, and I'd like the opinions of the healing community.

Is there a class or style you'd personally recommend based on experience?

I've healed as cleric, but have little experience outside of that.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Well, for healing, you only have two class options at the moment. Cleric and Mage. I've healed as both. Generally, mage healing is a little easier, you have one build that does everything, tank/raid etc. With mages you will get more consistent hps coming in, but they don't deal with burst damage quite as well, and no shielding, etc. Cleric's can fill those gaps, but with different souls for each gap... wardens are great at burst healing, purifiers have some great shields, etc.

As far as which is better for you, there is a lot of personal preference involved. I like them both, but i like the clerics flexibility better.
    Soulraiser - 60 Cleric // Soulslayer - 60 Warrior // Soulshadow 60 Mage
    Faeblight NA
    http://www.dargaardknights.com
    Visit our recruiting thread HERE

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by rakasha681 View Post
    Well, for healing, you only have two class options at the moment. Cleric and Mage. I've healed as both. Generally, mage healing is a little easier, you have one build that does everything, tank/raid etc. With mages you will get more consistent hps coming in, but they don't deal with burst damage quite as well, and no shielding, etc. Cleric's can fill those gaps, but with different souls for each gap... wardens are great at burst healing, purifiers have some great shields, etc.

As far as which is better for you, there is a lot of personal preference involved. I like them both, but i like the clerics flexibility better.

Thanks for the quick input!

I really love the healing animations of the Cleric class, but since I've yet to give the Mage an honest attempt I wanted to see where they stood in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Acolyte View Post
    Thanks for the quick input!

I really love the healing animations of the Cleric class, but since I've yet to give the Mage an honest attempt I wanted to see where they stood in comparison.
    I started out as a mage healer, then went to cleric. They are both pretty comparable, just fit slightly different niches/playstyles
    Faeblight NA

rakasha basically put it the best way possible.
    There are 5 ways to heal (currently).

Cleric:
    Shields/damage prevention
    Health over Time (HoTs)
    Burst healing
    Damage redirection (SL soul)

Mage:
    Group HoTs based on damage done.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by meoka2368 View Post
    rakasha basically put it the best way possible.
    There are 5 ways to heal (currently).

Cleric:
    Shields/damage prevention
    Health over Time (HoTs)
    Burst healing
    Damage redirection (SL soul)

Mage:
    Group HoTs based on damage done.
    Gotcha. Cleric it is then!

I'll describe the different healing souls. Your preference is known only to you.

Cleric
    Sentinel - The reactive healer, mostly single target. This is the traditional style of whack-a-mole healing, where you cast a heal on a person after s/he has lost health. Powerful single target healers, minor AoE.
    From what I've seen, it's the preferred soul for dungeons.

Purifier - The shielder. Cast shields on people to prevent their health from dropping in the first place. You will spend more time casting before damage is taken rather than after. Also powerful single target healers, no AoE outside of major cooldowns. Instead, spend periods of no damage to shield a few people before damage is taken.
    My preferred dungeon healing spec.

Warden - The AoE healer. Warden is best at healing an entire raid to full health quickly, but extremely low single target healing. From my experience, Warden is not needed in dungeons, but it's more common in raids.

Defiler - Kinda hard to describe this one. It's main job is it's links that transfers a portion of the targets damage to yourself, reducing the damage they take. You do damage to set up your heals which you will detonate later. Highest dps of the 4 healing souls but lowest healing output.
    A very different soul. Definitely worth trying.

Mage
    Chloromancer - Mostly steady healers. Heals by doing damage which is fun, but is a weakness in itself because you need to have a hostile target to heal. While Clerics are more bursty in general, chloromancer is more steady, meaning that when health drops fast, you don't have the big guns to quickly repair the damage.
    Serves as a backbone healer. Every group should have one to provide solid unending steady heals. You will need Clerics to accompany them to cover burst damage.
    Shinryujin | Tsuyuko | Chieri | Kimiyomi

Plane Walker

Awesome response, Superhbman!

I was considering having two healing specs, one for raiding, and the other for dungeons.

Would you recommend Sentinel being the strong tree for dungeons, and Warden the preferred for raiding?

If so, what would complement them?

Thanks!

I'm with superhbman, as in i prefer Puri for dungeon healing as well. You dont get much as far as group healing, but you have 2 shields that you can put on 3 people each, so you can cover everyone, and then top them off as you are able.
    Faeblight NA

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Acolyte View Post
    Awesome response, Superhbman!

I was considering having two healing specs, one for raiding, and the other for dungeons.

Would you recommend Sentinel being the strong tree for dungeons, and Warden the preferred for raiding?

If so, what would complement them?

Thanks!
    Depends on you, really. Both Sentinel and Purifier are capable at healing dungeons.

Personally, I don't like using Sentinel. I feel more for Purifier than I do Sentinel. The first time I actually used it was during a recent 10-man raid where there was 1 Purifier and none of the 4 Mages know how to play Chloromancer. I ran Sentinel to accompany the Purifier on high tank damage fights, and Warden on high AoE damage fights.

As for Warden, yes it would be a mandatory spec to master, as Warden is currently the only burst AoE healer in the game. You won't have many opportunities to use it in dungeons, but you can practise using it in zone events, great hunt rifts, and raid rifts, then eventually end-game raids.

Still, I highly recommend mastering all your healing souls eventually. They all serve a different niche and flexibility is a great asset.
    Shinryujin | Tsuyuko | Chieri | Kimiyomi

Plane Walker

Thanks again for your input!

Once you've mastered the raw output healing souls, give Defiler a try. It's weird, different, and fun. And powerful.
    Currently playing Beermaid lvl 65 War

Champion of Telara Sargonnas_KoA's Avatar

I personally like mage healing mostly because the first time I played it was like playing a completely different type of character versus the traditional healer seen in most MMO's and RPG's. It took me a little while to get the hang of it because it was so different from what I had played in the past. Now it seems easy, but when you are a new player it can feel a little intimidating.

Rift Disciple

Defiler is fun, especially in expert dungeons, one of the most entertaining ways is letting tanks drop to 40% or less health and watch them panic for a bit before you heal them back to full with a single OGCD heal. :>

Rift Master

I found a Warden spec to take into dungeons I have been testing out its 61 warden 10 Justicar 5 defiler.

The slight reduced damage on the tank helps. And as long as the tanks HP isn't disappearing in seconds I find it quite easy to keep the tank alive.

I mostly spam geyser in the dungeon with gives a overly reasonable amount of health with the initial heal geyser gives plus the health of Salvation that is also boosted by all the points into Warden.

Depending on HOW fast the tanks health is dropping I have wave of renewal and monsoon available to keep most everybody alive.

Then I use a rotation of 15 sec type abilities like rool of restoration, healing flood, call of depths, dehydrate and then 2 30 sec abilities depending on damage is use the 2 orbs.

Its not as much DPS as simply bringing a Defiler but it is SAFER than a defiler to me.

Defiler is just too iffy for me as a pure healer trying to keep stacks of foul growth on all members never knowing who is going to need to be healed. But I found explosive growth is amazing amounts of healing potential.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast