+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30

Thread: Beta5 -- Feedback and review

  1. #1
    Soulwalker Oldphatguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    18

    Default Beta5 -- Feedback and review

    When I first read the advertisement form Trion about Rift and saw the word “polished”, I laughed and said to myself yeah they all say that but then I got into the game. After a few days of play I can now see why you called it polished. I have never played an MMO beta with so little lag and bugs.

    Well done folks!

    All in all one of the most enjoyable MMOs I have played in a long time. The visuals were amazing, the rift raiding was lag free and the grouping was flawless for me. The UI was a little big so I went searching for a way to fix it and boy was I surprised at the level of modification built into the game. Personally I see no need for any kind of mods to enhance the gameplay at all. The ability of completing a quest even when the mod was tagged by someone else, as long as you helped, brought a smile to my face. Nice touch there Rift team.

    If I had a negative it would have to be when a rift event would happen and you had to go find the last guy (aka… Boss), I could never find him. I am sure there is a clue but I did not see it.

    My wife and I have bought the pre-orders and are counting the days till release.

  2. #2
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    39

    Default Agree

    By far.... THE best beta I have ever been in and our guild had a blast!!

    Huge props to the Devs

  3. #3
    Plane Touched Coho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Western WA
    Posts
    229

    Default

    Ya..I never found the Granite Titan (or whatever he's called) either. He may have been the guy we found by accident the day before and handed our 3 grps our butts..

  4. #4
    Soulwalker Serenty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    7

    Default YES..yes..indeed!

    Trion has most definatly made the beta sessions amazing. I really enjoyed them pushed the rifts as hard as they did. Last nights event where the entire land was taken over by (lost count) 15 rifts open at one time, was just amazing. We had a mob that had well over 600k HP and everyone baned together to drop him. It took us a very long time to drop that mob, but it was a wonderful exp. It brought back old memorys from my days playing EQ and having a massive raid beating on a mob and it taking a good length of time to finish the mob off. The reward in the end I personally thought could have been better because of what it took to take the mob down. Other then that, WOOO HOOO to Trion!!!

  5. #5
    Plane Touched Murlocking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Canada, Quebec
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coho View Post
    Ya..I never found the Granite Titan (or whatever he's called) either. He may have been the guy we found by accident the day before and handed our 3 grps our butts..
    U can easily find the "Boss" if u have discovered all the area, just look at each invasion, one should have the boss name in it.
    It took me 2 beta to realize that, thanks to all the trolls on my server!

  6. #6
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1

    Default a great experience

    By far the funnest mmorpg i have played. the soul options make posabilitys endless. played for about 10hrs total and was still in the same zone shows that there is so much more to do in the world. i cant wait until release. i hear a lot of people say there will never be a better game then wow but i think blizzard is in trouble when this game goes active!

  7. #7
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    748

    Default

    LMAO seriously these "this game has the best beta ever" comments have to stop. Either that or get a larger frame of reference.

    The first day issues completely negates that comment altogether. Either that or people that are making those comments werent playing that first day. But to be fair the issues were hot fixed, and added to that they put up a few more servers, and maybe a few people simply left and didnt come back. But there were no major issues after that first day.

    Despite the issues I have with the game Lotro has had the very best beta runs of any game ever that I have beta tested. Probably close to 30 games over the past decade and a little bit. So with that in mind a good or bad beta doesnt always equate to a good or bad release/game.

    Like i said Lotro betas, closed or open have had almost zero issues, even in the early stages when they are still very much tweaking and fiddling with mechanics. But that still didnt mean they didnt have issues at release. Mostly what I think this one will see....lack of imagination.

    I was in the Mirkwood beta, and it was so lacking that I didnt even buy it, even though i have two lifetime subs. I voiced my opinions repeatedly, pointed out the issues, but was shouted down by many who were fooled by the newness and spectacle of it. And what happened? Pretty much exactly what I said, after a month or so people were so bored with the shiny new stuff that they were poking their own eyes out. I see some of that here. peopel are s in awe because it is 'different' and 'new' that they aren't seeing the shortcomings or looking for potential ways to enhance it to make it a little less repetitive.

    See when you actually beta test games you start getting a frame of reference and all the things you saw in those other games that bothered you start coming back into your mind as you test subsequent other games.

    And the list goes on and on, warhammer, Age of Conan, pirates of the burning sea, fallen earth, Aoin, Tabula rasa, Vangaurd, all 4 Lotro betas etc etc etc. That is just in the last 3 years. All those games had the exact same thing best betas ever, WoW killer, going ot be the next big thing. Well one of them is completely shut down 3 or 4 of them are on life support, and one went free to play and a couple have merged servers enough so that they are playable.

    So the blind leading he blind always comes to mind when I test any new game that comes out, because the song remains the same and the results are also generally the same. "Game had potential just didnt live up to expectations" is usually the headline.

    So take a step back, ignore all the good things you see or the want and desire for it to succeed and take a look at some of the shortcomings. And dont blame the shortcomings on beta. That is a cop out and the same excuses those others games i listed used. And start looking at it objectively and giving some constructive feedback.
    Last edited by Rodarin; 01-29-2011 at 11:01 AM.

  8. #8
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    499

    Default ok, well.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodarin View Post
    LMAO seriously these "this game has the best beta ever" comments have to stop. Either that or get a larger frame of reference.

    The first day issues completely negates that comment altogether. Either that or people that are making those comments werent playing that first day. But to be fair the issues were hot fixed, and added to that they put up a few more servers, and maybe a few people simply left and didnt come back. But there were no major issues after that first day.

    Despite the issues I have with the game Lotro has had the very best beta runs of any game ever that I have beta tested. Probably close to 30 games over the past decade and a little bit. So with that in mind a good or bad beta doesnt always equate to a good or bad release/game.

    Like i said Lotro betas, closed or open have had almost zero issues, even in the early stages when they are still very much tweaking and fiddling with mechanics. But that still didnt mean they didnt have issues at release. Mostly what I think this one will see....lack of imagination.

    I was in the Mirkwood beta, and it was so lacking that I didnt even buy it, even though i have two lifetime subs. I voiced my opinions repeatedly, pointed out the issues, but was shouted down by many who were fooled by the newness and spectacle of it. And what happened? Pretty much exactly what I said, after a month or so people were so bored with the shiny new stuff that they were poking their own eyes out. I see some of that here. peopel are s in awe because it is 'different' and 'new' that they aren't seeing the shortcomings or looking for potential ways to enhance it to make it a little less repetitive.

    See when you actually beta test games you start getting a frame of reference and all the things you saw in those other games that bothered you start coming back into your mind as you test subsequent other games.

    And the list goes on and on, warhammer, Age of Conan, pirates of the burning sea, fallen earth, Aoin, Tabula rasa, Vangaurd, all 4 Lotro betas etc etc etc. That is just in the last 3 years. All those games had the exact same thing best betas ever, WoW killer, going ot be the next big thing. Well one of them is completely shut down 3 or 4 of them are on life support, and one went free to play and a couple have merged servers enough so that they are playable.

    So the blind leading he blind always comes to mind when I test any new game that comes out, because the song remains the same and the results are also generally the same. "Game had potential just didnt live up to expectations" is usually the headline.

    So take a step back, ignore all the good things you see or the want and desire for it to succeed and take a look at some of the shortcomings. And dont blame the shortcomings on beta. That is a cop out and the same excuses those others games i listed used. And start looking at it objectively and giving some constructive feedback.

    if theres bad to be seen, according to you, what are they? you mentioned other games but no feedback for rift. besides your comments about everyone elses comments you just seem mad you didnt start the thread.

    by the way, i loved it and had a blast, rift chasing with auto-grouping is a great idea as well as for quests, makes for less fighting over specific mobs. was sad to see beta shut down knowing i was heading back to the world of borecraft till next beta. i will be pre-ordering when i get paid, no doubt.

  9. #9
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tiren View Post
    if theres bad to be seen, according to you, what are they? you mentioned other games but no feedback for rift. besides your comments about everyone elses comments you just seem mad you didnt start the thread.

    by the way, i loved it and had a blast, rift chasing with auto-grouping is a great idea as well as for quests, makes for less fighting over specific mobs. was sad to see beta shut down knowing i was heading back to the world of borecraft till next beta. i will be pre-ordering when i get paid, no doubt.
    I have made several posts actually both in here as well as the beta forums, they get 10-12 reads and blown off the first page in 3 minutes by a hundred "this game is awesome" threads.

    Hopefully the 'right' people are reading the 'right' posts and not sitting there slapping themselves on the back by all the drooling people are doing. Counting their money. because if this game seriously has 100 million invested into it, its going to take a lot more sales than what I have seen commented on here, along with a massive retention rate and sub rate. Even if 100K people tried the beta (that is a wild speculation and probably high) that doesnt come close to making them any money. because if 100K people buy the box thats only 4.5 million in sales. Then if only 25% (more than the average actually) subscribe for 6 months or more (assuming no special rate), that another 2.25 so in 6 months they've made back about 8. And before you say 'it will sell more than that'. Then just multiply 8 by how many hundred thousand players you think it will have.

  10. #10
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodarin View Post
    LMAO seriously these "this game has the best beta ever" comments have to stop. Either that or get a larger frame of reference.

    The first day issues completely negates that comment altogether. Either that or people that are making those comments werent playing that first day. But to be fair the issues were hot fixed, and added to that they put up a few more servers, and maybe a few people simply left and didnt come back. But there were no major issues after that first day.

    Despite the issues I have with the game Lotro has had the very best beta runs of any game ever that I have beta tested. Probably close to 30 games over the past decade and a little bit. So with that in mind a good or bad beta doesnt always equate to a good or bad release/game.

    Like i said Lotro betas, closed or open have had almost zero issues, even in the early stages when they are still very much tweaking and fiddling with mechanics. But that still didnt mean they didnt have issues at release. Mostly what I think this one will see....lack of imagination.

    I was in the Mirkwood beta, and it was so lacking that I didnt even buy it, even though i have two lifetime subs. I voiced my opinions repeatedly, pointed out the issues, but was shouted down by many who were fooled by the newness and spectacle of it. And what happened? Pretty much exactly what I said, after a month or so people were so bored with the shiny new stuff that they were poking their own eyes out. I see some of that here. peopel are s in awe because it is 'different' and 'new' that they aren't seeing the shortcomings or looking for potential ways to enhance it to make it a little less repetitive.

    See when you actually beta test games you start getting a frame of reference and all the things you saw in those other games that bothered you start coming back into your mind as you test subsequent other games.

    And the list goes on and on, warhammer, Age of Conan, pirates of the burning sea, fallen earth, Aoin, Tabula rasa, Vangaurd, all 4 Lotro betas etc etc etc. That is just in the last 3 years. All those games had the exact same thing best betas ever, WoW killer, going ot be the next big thing. Well one of them is completely shut down 3 or 4 of them are on life support, and one went free to play and a couple have merged servers enough so that they are playable.

    So the blind leading he blind always comes to mind when I test any new game that comes out, because the song remains the same and the results are also generally the same. "Game had potential just didnt live up to expectations" is usually the headline.

    So take a step back, ignore all the good things you see or the want and desire for it to succeed and take a look at some of the shortcomings. And dont blame the shortcomings on beta. That is a cop out and the same excuses those others games i listed used. And start looking at it objectively and giving some constructive feedback.
    You are a funny guy i tried lotro beta and i still paly it now i admit it was a great beta but it did not give off the vibe of being in the game for the long run, Lame events, Some great dungeons and the raids were brilliant no doubt. But playing rift beta gave me such an urge i have not felt for a long time no matte how many beta games i have tried.

    RIFTS is one of the main aspects of the game that is most enjoyabe, gives u sometimes great rewards and the amount of achievments and challenge u get from them is superb, The dungeons are enjoyable and the overall gameplay is fabulous. As far as i read no1 said anything about this game being a wow killer i mean i seen alot of people in chat comparing it to wow and they are similar in many ways (still plays wow) but this game offer SOO much more things to do. I mean you don't have to go farm quests/dungeons to lvl which makes the game far less repetitive than any other mmo i am currently playing LOTRO for example total grindfest. The overall beta so far is going well deffo thumbs up. Another thing that u aint seen in any mmo as of yet is the soul system which i think is amazinngggggg, so much to fiddle with to try and get the right build combination. I think this game will be a success maybe not in ways some people are anticipating but it deffo will.

    Everything u said is total and utter rubbish imo. Newsflash lotro beta was flawless in the sense of bugs etc, but the game overall got BORING (refferring to lotro since u seem to hype it up so much) and i didn't even bother playing mirkwod beta cuz of the same rinse and repeat of go kill that and come bk here. Nothing in the gameworld to do u jsut run around and killing random quest mobs, No fun evernt or nothing lk that and tbh RIFT rips the piss out of that game.

    This was a very enjoyable beta and i am going to pre order it later.

  11. #11
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodarin View Post
    I have made several posts actually both in here as well as the beta forums, they get 10-12 reads and blown off the first page in 3 minutes by a hundred "this game is awesome" threads.

    Hopefully the 'right' people are reading the 'right' posts and not sitting there slapping themselves on the back by all the drooling people are doing. Counting their money. because if this game seriously has 100 million invested into it, its going to take a lot more sales than what I have seen commented on here, along with a massive retention rate and sub rate. Even if 100K people tried the beta (that is a wild speculation and probably high) that doesnt come close to making them any money. because if 100K people buy the box thats only 4.5 million in sales. Then if only 25% (more than the average actually) subscribe for 6 months or more (assuming no special rate), that another 2.25 so in 6 months they've made back about 8. And before you say 'it will sell more than that'. Then just multiply 8 by how many hundred thousand players you think it will have.
    Of al the people on the planet how can u EVEN say if 100k people buy the box, since this is only beta u cannot assume such a tally since 3/Q of the eople that wants to try the beta probs didn't get a key. The game has good potential. For example look at Allods online, that game was brilliant until they implemented there first BETA patch which saw 3/Q of the community leave the game, then they tried to implement things to try get people bk but game keeps going under.This game has had 5 betas and everything seems to be going well. You may have a point on how many people buy the game but 100k is a bit meh will 100% be alot more than that i know for a fact. Me for 1 will be qutting wow to come play this already uninstalled it from my pc and i can see alot of people doing the same.

  12. #12
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by U-God View Post
    You are a funny guy i tried lotro beta and i still paly it now i admit it was a great beta but it did not give off the vibe of being in the game for the long run, Lame events, Some great dungeons and the raids were brilliant no doubt. But playing rift beta gave me such an urge i have not felt for a long time no matte how many beta games i have tried.

    RIFTS is one of the main aspects of the game that is most enjoyabe, gives u sometimes great rewards and the amount of achievments and challenge u get from them is superb, The dungeons are enjoyable and the overall gameplay is fabulous. As far as i read no1 said anything about this game being a wow killer i mean i seen alot of people in chat comparing it to wow and they are similar in many ways (still plays wow) but this game offer SOO much more things to do. I mean you don't have to go farm quests/dungeons to lvl which makes the game far less repetitive than any other mmo i am currently playing LOTRO for example total grindfest. The overall beta so far is going well deffo thumbs up. Another thing that u aint seen in any mmo as of yet is the soul system which i think is amazinngggggg, so much to fiddle with to try and get the right build combination. I think this game will be a success maybe not in ways some people are anticipating but it deffo will.

    Everything u said is total and utter rubbish imo. Newsflash lotro beta was flawless in the sense of bugs etc, but the game overall got BORING (refferring to lotro since u seem to hype it up so much) and i didn't even bother playing mirkwod beta cuz of the same rinse and repeat of go kill that and come bk here. Nothing in the gameworld to do u jsut run around and killing random quest mobs, No fun evernt or nothing lk that and tbh RIFT rips the piss out of that game.

    This was a very enjoyable beta and i am going to pre order it later.
    LMAO I hope this is a troll post, because replace Lotro with Rift and you got it.

    What about this game is so earthshaking? The rifts in this game are sort of akin to skirmish system in Lotro except skirmishes are much more indepth but they are instanced. But they have the same scaling system when done in groups i.e the more people the harder they are the better the rewards. So the skirmish system got boring in a few months as will the rift system 9if it remains as is) in this game.

    And yes, that game is boring, but there is a hell of a lot more to do in that game than this one so far. So I am not quite sure how to follow your logic. If that game has 5 times the content and is still boring then how is this one not going to eventually get boring in 1/5 the time? because you played this game at most 19 days (if you got into every beta) and in a limitted fashion where you couldnt get instant gratification like you will when it goes live?

    The difference between this game and every other hack and slash out there is this one is new. Like Isaid, everyone has a hard on for it because they havent seen it yet. Give it 3 months (probably less for many people) and once that newness wears off it will be just any other game out there.

    With no side diversions to occupy your time waiting for new content.

    I like the game well enough, I am not knocking it that hard. It just isnt everything that people make it out to be and far less than what most think it s. because most people lack something that I like to call perspective. Which most usually get about 45-60 days after they probably should.

  13. #13
    Plane Touched Murlocking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Canada, Quebec
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodarin View Post
    LMAO seriously these "this game has the best beta ever" comments have to stop. Either that or get a larger frame of reference.

    The first day issues completely negates that comment altogether. Either that or people that are making those comments werent playing that first day. But to be fair the issues were hot fixed, and added to that they put up a few more servers, and maybe a few people simply left and didnt come back. But there were no major issues after that first day.

    Despite the issues I have with the game Lotro has had the very best beta runs of any game ever that I have beta tested. Probably close to 30 games over the past decade and a little bit. So with that in mind a good or bad beta doesnt always equate to a good or bad release/game.

    Like i said Lotro betas, closed or open have had almost zero issues, even in the early stages when they are still very much tweaking and fiddling with mechanics. But that still didnt mean they didnt have issues at release. Mostly what I think this one will see....lack of imagination.

    I was in the Mirkwood beta, and it was so lacking that I didnt even buy it, even though i have two lifetime subs. I voiced my opinions repeatedly, pointed out the issues, but was shouted down by many who were fooled by the newness and spectacle of it. And what happened? Pretty much exactly what I said, after a month or so people were so bored with the shiny new stuff that they were poking their own eyes out. I see some of that here. peopel are s in awe because it is 'different' and 'new' that they aren't seeing the shortcomings or looking for potential ways to enhance it to make it a little less repetitive.

    See when you actually beta test games you start getting a frame of reference and all the things you saw in those other games that bothered you start coming back into your mind as you test subsequent other games.

    And the list goes on and on, warhammer, Age of Conan, pirates of the burning sea, fallen earth, Aoin, Tabula rasa, Vangaurd, all 4 Lotro betas etc etc etc. That is just in the last 3 years. All those games had the exact same thing best betas ever, WoW killer, going ot be the next big thing. Well one of them is completely shut down 3 or 4 of them are on life support, and one went free to play and a couple have merged servers enough so that they are playable.

    So the blind leading he blind always comes to mind when I test any new game that comes out, because the song remains the same and the results are also generally the same. "Game had potential just didnt live up to expectations" is usually the headline.

    So take a step back, ignore all the good things you see or the want and desire for it to succeed and take a look at some of the shortcomings. And dont blame the shortcomings on beta. That is a cop out and the same excuses those others games i listed used. And start looking at it objectively and giving some constructive feedback.
    QQ post?
    its not because the first day didnt went well that u can say this beta was bad.
    There was alots of improvement during this beta, im happy on how fast they fixed every single login issues and much more.

    Thank you Trion.
    Dont listen to all those trollers.

  14. #14
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    44

    Default

    in 90 days this game will be an epic faliure unless they add open world pvp with rewards and exp

  15. #15
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default excellent Beta

    I wish I have more time during this Beta test but was a crazy work week, however, I did manage to get to almost level 20 and was very happy with the game. Quest really lots and lots of quest and those rifts excellent great fun with the public group. I played a hunter and change the tree up several times before I felt really comfortable. Easy to understand, lots of actions, great group of people in the Beta test. I am leaning towards buying the game because I had loads of fun and love the graphics, great job on the Beta very little lags and server only drop once and was back up in minutes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts