+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Beta5 -- Feedback and review

Honestly, I could play the game just as it is, and still believe that it trumps other MMO's

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by U-God View Post
    Of al the people on the planet how can u EVEN say if 100k people buy the box, since this is only beta u cannot assume such a tally since 3/Q of the eople that wants to try the beta probs didn't get a key. The game has good potential. For example look at Allods online, that game was brilliant until they implemented there first BETA patch which saw 3/Q of the community leave the game, then they tried to implement things to try get people bk but game keeps going under.This game has had 5 betas and everything seems to be going well. You may have a point on how many people buy the game but 100k is a bit meh will 100% be alot more than that i know for a fact. Me for 1 will be qutting wow to come play this already uninstalled it from my pc and i can see alot of people doing the same.
    Marketing for one. I follow a lot of MMOs and I didnt hear about Rift until I saw a post about it on the WoW forums a few weeks ago. So if no one knows about it how is it going to sell? Giving away a bunch of free beta keys like they did might have helped, but not if some of the people went in looking to bash it anyway, because that first day was a disaster, so if a bunch go around talking it down that sort of defeats the purpose.

But unless they release hard numbers on how many people tried the beta then speculating on possible sales is folly. But I would hope they stat marketing it a little more, and that the word of mouth is a little more postitive than it might be expected to be.

But it is usually those big organized guilds that play their games together that really help out these newer games. if they like it and go there, then at least the initial numbers are decent. Conan and Aoin saw that as well as Lotro, but if the games fail to deliver and those big guild start deffecting (like they did in the aforementioned games) then the results show. Say what you want about WoW, those big guilds still mostly have a division of their players still there, that is why it holds onto the spot it has. While I dont hype it as much as most, and take their numbers with a grain of salt it has the mass appeal factor that most games have failed to capture, for one reason or another. Mostly because those games lack one aspect. Conana lacked content and high level stuff to do, Warhammer lacked total PvE and the perks for going to higher level for Pvp were nonexistant, Lotro lacks any sortof PvP other than a dated instance. But had they let both sides be player controlled that game was the one and only that may have chllenged WoW. So no matter what games lack fundamental core apsect.

This game lacks several...

It lacks crafting, it lacks hobbies/RP, it lacks in content, and it lacks in some areas it does have.

Not saying they cant be fixed, but they need to be fixed before it goes live or that window for success will close. other than EvE (which can actually be free to play) no sub game has ever gained subscribers after its initial launch. Not a single one, other than WoW. So the best time for any MMO to win over the players is when it lunches. if you or these companies dont realize that then its hopeless anyway. Why do you think Bioware is taking its sweet time with Swotor? because they massively failed with Warhammer thats why and they learned from that mistake. So they know once people leave they rarely come back.

Like I said above the game has potential but to be great you need a lot of people playing it, if they arent then it isnt the game it could be. So for the people that want it to succeed you better hope it has a mass appeal to enough people to populate it enough to let it offer its fullest potential.
    Last edited by Rodarin; 01-29-2011 at 12:08 PM.

Plane Touched

Guys like Rodarin are exactly what development teams look for in quality, constructive feedback.

Telling you your game is totally radical as balls does not help you improve it. Telling you what's wrong is how games get better.

It's not surprising everyone jumped on Rodarin's **** because he posted something that didn't immediately give Trion's entire staff a virtual handjob.

He's telling you to be critical of the game and find faults to improve it. You guys would rather applaud them blindly and with the utmost enthusiasm and give them absolutely no reason to make changes.

They might as well go home and call it a day.

The beta was awesome for me - and I really dig the game. I'm excited to play the full release and it will require improvements as everything can be improved. Get off Rodarin's nuts and take some advice from him. Sorry the game is everything you want it to be and more. Maybe set your standards a little higher.

This isn't high school any more.
    Last edited by Homebrew; 01-29-2011 at 12:38 PM.

Soulwalker

Apart from the first few hours of server up server down issues for me it was the best beta experience ive had so far. I've run through the TBC and Cata beta's, AoC and Champions Online, some better than others but none as polished than Rift, and that's just my experience, i don't speak for anyone else :P

A few points i most like. Firstly the rift events, i know on live they won't be as frequent but never the less they were fun and the grouping was very easy even though i was confused with the rewards at first

The crafting was simple to use and learn and i particularly liked the way you could junk armourr and get some useful mats back (that really does makes sense). Not only that i actually made useful gear for myself while levelling, which shocked me because usually you just vendor all the crap you make.

Dyes, loved this in Warhammer and glad to see it's in this game as well. One thing i absolutely hate from other MMO's is clones, it's cool to see people being able to further their characters individuality (even though we'll end up with similar armour at some point). It's a small thing but i really like it

The different talent tree's were a refreshing change, no more must have specs and i think we'll see ppl having a lot of fun with these. Yes i know ppl will still copy and conform to a certain extent later in the game but it still will provide a much better choice and freedom for players.

The graphics are stunning and the game world just looks massive beyond belief. I actually enjoyed all the running and travelling. Maybe a travel system would be helpful once we get more of the maps uncovered but that's mainly just because of the sheer size of it. One big request though, no flying mounts in the future please

A few niggles i had are just minor but here goes anyway.

- Camera angles in the water seemed a bit off to me. Getting to the surface almost on your back was tricky some times when running out of breath.

- Can we get city maps please. It was tricky trying to find routes to quest drop offs because the map didn't show the city layout.

- Dyes. Can we get a preview window BEFORE we buy the colours. Again minor but it would help.

- I'm not fussed about a automatic grouping system but a LFG global chat channel would be nice. Something we could switch on and off to advertise for other players to join up for dungeons.

That's all i can think of right now. I've enjoyed this beta and look forward to more before the release.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Rodarin View Post
    LMAO seriously these "this game has the best beta ever" comments have to stop. Either that or get a larger frame of reference.

The first day issues completely negates that comment altogether. Either that or people that are making those comments werent playing that first day. But to be fair the issues were hot fixed, and added to that they put up a few more servers, and maybe a few people simply left and didnt come back. But there were no major issues after that first day.
    ROFL. The first day issues were expected by everyone with a clue and reading comprehension. Noone one Earth can predict with perfect accuracy the effect of thousands and thousands of people connecting at the same time. Even with the best forecasts and simulations, you are bound to have a few hiccups.

Those hiccups lasted what? 2-3h on the first day, then mostly everyone could play as you said.

You want game devs to know the future before it happens or what?

I've done the betas of all big MMOs since Everquest. That's the best and most stable out of them. WoW, WAR, AOC, you name them all had constant bugs and big lag problems except for one : WoW came into its one 2-3 weeks before coming out officially in 2004, but they also had the "too many people at once" problem. Every MMO with a lot of players will have this problem.

Rift is not very innovative, there a few design and gameplay problems, that's true, but the beta is by far the best in the last few years and the game is extremely polished, just like WoW was. This is enough to attract a lot of people.

Nitpicking arrogant bastards like you and me are the minority.
    Last edited by RamzaBehoulve; 01-29-2011 at 12:38 PM.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by RamzaBehoulve View Post
    ROFL. The first day issues were expected by everyone with a clue and reading comprehension. Noone one Earth can predict with perfect accuracy the effect of thousands and thousands of people connecting at the same time. Even with the best forecasts and simulations, you are bound to have a few hiccups.

Those hiccups lasted what? 2-3h on the first day, then mostly everyone could play as you said.

You want game devs to know the future before it happens or what?

I've done the betas of all big MMOs since Everquest. That's the best and most stable out of them. WoW, WAR, AOC, you name them all had constant bugs and big lag problems except for one : WoW came into its one 2-3 weeks before coming out officially in 2004, but they also had the "too many people at once" problem. Every MMO with a lot of players will have this problem.

Rift is not very innovative, there a few design and gameplay problems, that's true, but the beta is by far the best in the last few years and the game is extremely polished, just like WoW was. This is enough to attract a lot of people.
    I commented on it when it was happening.

I think it is fairly established that this game isnt really a 'beta' but in a free preview phase. They gave away thousands of beta keys. And maybe more people showed up than they thought (which is a good thing I guess) but they were also made very aware that their servers were not capable of handling it. Again a good thing in the long run.

But short term most people dont care about that. Especially when you see the game and see how 'polished' and 'perfect' it seems to be and everyone wants to point out.

So in the end you have a few thousand people that may have been unsatisfied with what they saw. Some may have been looking for excuses to flame the game, some might have want it to be perfect and it wasn't, and some took it in stride.

This beta to me was their first real marketing push, and while it got off to a rocky start it probably did more good than bad. So next friday we will see how that beta goes, and how many keys they give out again, I would hope more than last time. And once again see how the servers take it.

As for 'a lot' of players that is unknown. What were server pops set at? if I had to guess I wold say maybe 500 that first day. and maybe didnt get any higher since the server I was on which was new only had maybe 20 people actually get all the way to level 30, and not all that many getting above level 20 by the looks of some of the invasions I saw. So with that few people getting leveled up it stands to reason the overall population is low. Not to mention while the starting area was busy I didnt see 500 people running around either, nor did I see 250 (assuming the defiant and guardian start in different areas), so who know what the pop cap was.

People see what the want to see and assume what they want to assume, not many try to look objectively at something or even take the cynical view and see if it passes that inspection.

While having 'rah rah' threads shows a lot of people like it, those same 'rah rah' guys are the first to jump ship once they finally catch up with realty and realize that they might have over estimated the game somewhat. I have seen it time and time again, anyone has that has played MMOs. yet people still fall for the same hype and trap they did.

Because if these guys ever stayed at a game they tried they wouldnt be here looking for something different. And the guys just checking it out dont usually bother to post on the forums, they play, keep their opinions to themselves and then share those opinions with the people they want o share them with.

Rift Disciple

Well to me this game in its beta state is alot better than any other game I have beta tested. From Eq to DCUO and so far Rift has them beat. This beta was great yes the first day was a bit messy but they were right on it and fixing the problem not waiting hours.
    The Rifts were great and was a nice distraction from questing, and made you feel like it was important to save your city or keep them at bay.
    The crafting was great also easy and not difficult to understand.
    The Roles were nice and souls too were very well done.
    We can all sit here and say that game is better or this game is etc etc. To me everyone has their opinion and for those who praise Trion, they have good reason to. Those who say quit doing that just do not get it.....
    Alot of these threads are the same doom and gloom repeated... I have never played a beta where I really felt like part of the game as I do with this game. When this game goes live you will see alot more people than you think play this game. Just because it does not have alot of hype yet does not mean it won't and remember alot of the devs are from the games you love so much, reason why some things look familar.
    Alot of us are not blind to Trion etc. we just know when something is working great and will end up being a great game to out do all the others.
    Yes I have played Lotro i beta tested it and liked it till it went F2P so i left, loved WoW when it first came out after 6 yrs left, played DDO till they went f2p. This game has great Customer Service and Great Devs. who are working great and making sure this game is working better than the rest.............

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by sirjohn45 View Post
    Well to me this game in its beta state is alot better than any other game I have beta tested. From Eq to DCUO and so far Rift has them beat. This beta was great yes the first day was a bit messy but they were right on it and fixing the problem not waiting hours.
    The Rifts were great and was a nice distraction from questing, and made you feel like it was important to save your city or keep them at bay.
    The crafting was great also easy and not difficult to understand.
    The Roles were nice and souls too were very well done.
    We can all sit here and say that game is better or this game is etc etc. To me everyone has their opinion and for those who praise Trion, they have good reason to. Those who say quit doing that just do not get it.....
    Alot of these threads are the same doom and gloom repeated... I have never played a beta where I really felt like part of the game as I do with this game. When this game goes live you will see alot more people than you think play this game. Just because it does not have alot of hype yet does not mean it won't and remember alot of the devs are from the games you love so much, reason why some things look familar.
    Alot of us are not blind to Trion etc. we just know when something is working great and will end up being a great game to out do all the others.
    Yes I have played Lotro i beta tested it and liked it till it went F2P so i left, loved WoW when it first came out after 6 yrs left, played DDO till they went f2p. This game has great Customer Service and Great Devs. who are working great and making sure this game is working better than the rest.............
    Too many uses of the word 'great' to be reliable

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Rodarin View Post
    I commented on it when it was happening.

I think it is fairly established that this game isnt really a 'beta' but in a free preview phase. They gave away thousands of beta keys. And maybe more people showed up than they thought (which is a good thing I guess) but they were also made very aware that their servers were not capable of handling it. Again a good thing in the long run.

But short term most people dont care about that. Especially when you see the game and see how 'polished' and 'perfect' it seems to be and everyone wants to point out.

So in the end you have a few thousand people that may have been unsatisfied with what they saw. Some may have been looking for excuses to flame the game, some might have want it to be perfect and it wasn't, and some took it in stride.

This beta to me was their first real marketing push, and while it got off to a rocky start it probably did more good than bad. So next friday we will see how that beta goes, and how many keys they give out again, I would hope more than last time. And once again see how the servers take it.

As for 'a lot' of players that is unknown. What were server pops set at? if I had to guess I wold say maybe 500 that first day. and maybe didnt get any higher since the server I was on which was new only had maybe 20 people actually get all the way to level 30, and not all that many getting above level 20 by the looks of some of the invasions I saw. So with that few people getting leveled up it stands to reason the overall population is low. Not to mention while the starting area was busy I didnt see 500 people running around either, nor did I see 250 (assuming the defiant and guardian start in different areas), so who know what the pop cap was.

People see what the want to see and assume what they want to assume, not many try to look objectively at something or even take the cynical view and see if it passes that inspection.

While having 'rah rah' threads shows a lot of people like it, those same 'rah rah' guys are the first to jump ship once they finally catch up with realty and realize that they might have over estimated the game somewhat. I have seen it time and time again, anyone has that has played MMOs. yet people still fall for the same hype and trap they did.

Because if these guys ever stayed at a game they tried they wouldnt be here looking for something different. And the guys just checking it out dont usually bother to post on the forums, they play, keep their opinions to themselves and then share those opinions with the people they want o share them with.
    Well on my server a TON on people got to lvl 30 like 25 of them in my guild. The population has always been an issue with many betas i played but eventually stabalised out when more servers are added just like they did here. One thing i think they should definately fix thoug and it is the camera i mean those giants from the life rifts are so tall and some other giants that when u hitting them u can't even see your damage that deffo needs adjusting (yes they are giant but still) so does the mount animation.
    Last edited by U-God; 01-29-2011 at 01:19 PM.

Soulwalker

Default Realm of the Fae

I actually did the Realm of the fae dungeon for the first time this beta, and it was freaking amazing it had to be the coolest dungeon experience ever, and it was only the first dungeon. fighting my way through the seasons from lush forest all the way up a snowy mountain during a blizzard, was just epic. I was extremely impressed. Boss battles were fun and challenging.

I cannot wait for full release

I don't want to jump on the wow bashing bandwagon, but take realm of the fae, the first dungeon for rift, and compare it with deadmines from wow, it's seriously almost laughable.

Stop feeding the troll guys...

Rodarin has a good point there. Despite many people already addicted to the potential this game is showing, the hard work for dev's is just starting. In the upcoming weeks or even a few months, we'll see if the game will be this good or it would degrade like the most of the MMORPG's.

So far i'm really enjoying the game, i like what Rift may become, and i just hope there will be enough content for both PvE and PvP players. The rest of the stuff can be easily fixed if Trion has the manpower to read the feedback, the forums, and carefully implementing the proper ideas.

Speaking of feedback... Trion, where's the inventory auto-arrange and sell junk buttons, come on, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
    Guys like Rodarin are exactly what development teams look for in quality, constructive feedback.
    Telling you your game is totally radical as balls does not help you improve it. Telling you what's wrong is how games get better.
    It's not surprising everyone jumped on Rodarin's **** because he posted something that didn't immediately give Trion's entire staff a virtual handjob..
    I agree that Rodarin has made valid points but maybe it's the way he swipes at other people's comments is what's the issue here. There's a way of saying things, and he could easily have made his points without swiping at other people in this thread. If I think the game is best ever and he doesn't then who's right? Him or me? answer = both. He comments generally on having perspective when one's perspective is just that, limited to the self. I agree that finding weaknesses and working on them is the way Trion will make this game better, just leave the berating out of it and he may be taken more seriously.

On topic, I had a great time in this BETA and I am looking forward to leaving Middle Earth to find a new home in Telara.
    Last edited by Savek; 01-29-2011 at 01:43 PM.

I really enjoyed the beta. I sent in dozens of feedback reports.

explore telara through a photo journey at Traveling Telara. Feel free to submit your screenshot to us.

I agree, quit bashing Rodarin for his opinion...he isn't asking anything of people except to look at the game objectively...you know...like TESTER would. Also, with the millions of $ invested in a game like this - YOU BET they have a "good" idea of the player base they need to launch with and retain - and all the stats around that. Their investors would not let them get away without a very good idea of how the project needs to go (not that it WILL, just that from previous data models and projections - a best guess based on probabilities)..

I liked the game too. Played Wow, War, Aion at launch and tried a few other subscription and free games over the last few years. None have kept me more than a few months - though WOW brought me back at a couple expansions. I'm a casual player and I don't burn through the content. I just like new, exploring, crafting and some pvp.

- I liked the "familiarity" of the game - in that it was easy to pick up and learn since it was so similar in play to WOW etc..
    - I liked that you could climb up a steep slope and sometimes jumping could get you a bit further (great view from top of mountain above Meridan).
    - I like the ease of joining a group at a rift and the map tracking of the invasions.
    - I liked the crafting (though seemed both a bit confusing and limited in options at the moment), but the AH wasn't that evolved yet.
    - I liked the battle fronts - seemingly lots of faction options there
    - I liked the soul system and the "seeming" variety (seeming cause I haven't had time to see if it is just alot of the same) . I like tinkering with my characters.
    - I definitely liked that actual character design/looks/building of the character avatar. Could use more options though (saw a mind blowing youtube of what All Points Bulletin was suppose to have). I don't like looking like everyone else.

What I thought needs improving over time:
    - lighting and camera angles as previously mentioned
    - riding animation needs a bit of tweaking
    - better animations over all...for instance, lots of abilities, but the moves were not that spectacular or were overly similar.
    - better information on what the abilities do...i.e for the Paragon - what is the benefit and draw back of the 2 weapons and which abilities benefit 2 blade damage and which ones don't. They had some info, but if all abilities are suppose to yield similar damage - they better make the animations different. Why have all the variety unless it makes some kind of difference?
    - better representation that your character comes out looking like what you designed in the character screen (no huge noses on the Eth woman)

Over all I liked it and enjoyed it. I will be back next Friday and likey will buy the game - BUT...is it enough to keep players playing after a month. Either Content has to keep evolving to keep people interested in pressing forward or you need to have the natural variety that ALOT of people bring when they interact - i.e. world pvp. Once players start dropping from a server - it affects everything.
    Last edited by Kcortes_11; 01-29-2011 at 02:23 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2