+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGrinnz

Thread: tank holding agrro question

Soulwalker

Default tank holding agrro question

i always dps, but will try to tank later....(war/rogue) my question is does Hit? have to do with holding agro?

ive have been with this guy (tank) that cant get hold of agro ...his a cleric btw

Hit is mostly relevant because it increases, well, your chance to hit -- that is, for your powers to affect their targets. A power that doesn't hit has no effect.

What determines aggro is "threat", and the mechanics for this are not entirely exposed in Rift, but basically tank-oriented souls will tend to have abilities that give them additional generation of threat. Some of these are indirect. For instance, healing generates threat, but normally only healing which actually increases health does so. Justicars using mien of leadership, however, also get threat from healing they produce even if it's "overhealing", so they generate significant threat from their general splash healing of their group.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Short answer: yes you need hit to tank anything that needs toughness. 300 hit/300 toughness for expert dungeons. 400/400 for T1 raids, 500/500 for T2 raids

Not holding aggro as a Cleric tank could be for a few other reasons as well. Cleric threat is very different from warrior and rogue threat because of the presence of overhealing threat on every attack. Direct damaging abilities will do the most threat to the targets you damage, but AoE abilities will do less threat against a single target, and Doctrine of Loyalty will do more threat to targets you don't or can't hit with damaging abilities.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 01-10-2014 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AnswerMe View Post
    i always dps, but will try to tank later....(war/rogue) my question is does Hit? have to do with holding agro?

ive have been with this guy (tank) that cant get hold of agro ...his a cleric btw
    Directly, hit doesn't affect aggro, but indirectly it does... if you miss a lot, you wont be generating as much threat. That being said, a cleric tank generates a good chunk of its threat through healing, so hit isn't as effective. Common mistakes i see new cleric tanks make are:

Pulling with a taunt(Noooooooo!!!! never pull with a taunt, if you arent an experienced tank, you are almost guaranteed to lose threat by the time the 3s forced taunt wears off)
    Not using Total Assurance+hammer of faith/duty as often as they should. (this is what i pull with usually, you shouldnt be saving these for emergencies)
    Not using Doctrine of Loyalty (its healing is barely anything, but it generates a ton of aoe threat)
    Soulraiser - 60 Cleric // Soulslayer - 60 Warrior // Soulshadow 60 Mage
    Faeblight NA
    http://www.dargaardknights.com
    Visit our recruiting thread HERE

Soulwalker

tnx for quick reply , im ready to get kick in SL expert now

i was confuse with that cleric losing aggro thought it has to do with hit

rift has nice community tnx!

RIFT Guide Writer RoughRaptorsOld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    Short answer: yes you need hit to tank anything that needs toughness. 300 hit/300 toughness for expert dungeons. 400/400 for T1 raids, 500/500 for T2 raids
    Mio tanked the brothers in IG in full DPS gear with 45k HP. Nerf Rogues, they are apparently immune to crits.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by RoughRaptors View Post
    Mio tanked the brothers in IG in full DPS gear with 45k HP. Nerf Rogues, they are apparently immune to crits.
    nerf the healers who managed to keep him alive :P
    PvP in RIFT is good only @forum.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysHealNeverDie View Post
    nerf the healers who managed to keep him alive :P
    Nerf the dpsers who managed to kill him before he could land a single critical hit.
    Pantz@Hailol
    Asia's best cleric

Ascendant

Nerf Void Bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by Repster View Post
    Nerf Void Bolt.
    *Nerf Viod Blot!*
    Pantz@Hailol
    Asia's best cleric

+ Reply to Thread