+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rifts vs. PQs

Default Rifts vs. PQs

Lets talk about all the ways so far that rifts are different than PQs in other games since I haven't seen a PQ system that I actually enjoy yet, I'll start:

It was said in a video that most rifts could be solo'd but would also scale up when more folks showed up. That sounds great to me as I hated getting to a PQ and not being able to get past a certain point because there weren't enough people around.

Another thing I like about the rifts so far is that your "rank" out of all the folks that participated isn't what determines your reward, it's how much you contributed.

Quote Originally Posted by Danlm View Post
    Lets talk about all the ways so far that rifts are different than PQs in other games since I haven't seen a PQ system that I actually enjoy yet, I'll start:

It was said in a video that most rifts could be solo'd but would also scale up when more folks showed up. That sounds great to me as I hated getting to a PQ and not being able to get past a certain point because there weren't enough people around.

Another thing I like about the rifts so far is that your "rank" out of all the folks that participated isn't what determines your reward, it's how much you contributed.
    One concern I have is that all rifts will always been prematurely opened and we will never get to see the actual events when they break open. This would be a shame since I have the feeling those encounters are rather unique.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

What do you mean by "prematurely?" It sounded like they had to be opened by a player, in the dev diary, so by definition if its opened can it be premature? Assuming the person that opens it doesnt just open it and run off and let it spawn uncontrolled, if thats possible.

Can't remember where, but it they said a tear may open as a Rift if left alone long enough. I think that is what Kalbuir is mentioning.

If that is the case it will just depend on the following items:
    • How long it takes for a tear to become a Rift (should be random within some limits in my mind)
    • Do tears so up on the map (I'd like tears not to show up personally)

It is known that Rifts show up on the map, but I am unsure about tears showing up on the map.

Well, only the "basic rifts" are soloable according to this TTH article. Not sure where you saw "most" although "basic" could be "most", assuming any of that is correct. Either way, they should offer a respectable experience no matter how many players are there since they scale.

Loot will be it's own beast. It seems like "contribution" will primarily be based off of how long you were participating. Making sure that slackers aren't rewarded above active contributors will be important.

Quote Originally Posted by souper View Post
    Well, only the "basic rifts" are soloable according to this TTH article. Not sure where you saw "most" although "basic" could be "most", assuming any of that is correct. Either way, they should offer a respectable experience no matter how many players are there since they scale.

Loot will be it's own beast. It seems like "contribution" will primarily be based off of how long you were participating. Making sure that slackers aren't rewarded above active contributors will be important.
    Yes, that was what I was thinking about, sorry didnt see it in a video, my bad, I think I figured that "basic" was going to be your run of the mill most common rift.

Also nice to hear is the fact that if the rifts do open on their own and too many are left open the game will realize this and add another extra level of challenge.
    Last edited by Danlm; 05-06-2010 at 12:10 PM.

Well for one, PQ's don't dramatically alter the entire landscape of the surrounding area when active.

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

Also nice to hear is the fact that if the rifts do open on their own and too many are left open the game will realize this and add another extra level of challenge.
    I'm looking forward to this happening. It would interesting if a server got taken over completely.

Also, the need to destroy Rifts might bring some needed traffic to lower level areas.

What do you mean by "prematurely?" It sounded like they had to be opened by a player, in the dev diary, so by definition if its opened can it be premature? Assuming the person that opens it doesnt just open it and run off and let it spawn uncontrolled, if thats possible.
    Way I understand it a class like inquister can tear a rift open prematurely to not make it reach full strenght. If this always happens we never experiences full strength which is a shame. So I am curious how thye wil handle that,

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Anyone can open a rift from what I understand, not just the Inquisitors. Regardless, if a rift were to open on it's own it would probably just mean MOAR MOBS!11 and not a lot else. I'm speculating of course but I'd assume the only negative would be that it would take more time to close the rift for the same rewards.

Official Rift Fan Site Operator Ciovala's Avatar

It certainly seemed like rifts could be opened by players, or just open on their own without anyone touching them. So, I don't think we have much to worry? The original 'heroic quest' concept even had actions in one part of the world impacting another, so that might mean if something happens in one place, a rift is forced to randomly open in another spot. Somehow each server is supposed to evolve differently over time, so there must be something interesting going on.

A wiki is only as good as its contributors won't you help?
    The original Rift Wiki - EN DE FR
    [Add a guild] [Add an Item] [Add a Quest]

My hope is that the higher level zones will have had rifts already opened and spreading, leaving us to fix the situation, rather then them spawning just when we activate or want them to.

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

Quote Originally Posted by Hanlo View Post
    My hope is that the higher level zones will have had rifts already opened and spreading, leaving us to fix the situation, rather then them spawning just when we activate or want them to.
    That sort of seems like fun but at the same time could be problematic since people level at such varied rates. Plus, I figure the Kings would have at least sent a few guards to help clean the rifts up. Then again, MMO NPCs are notoriously lazy so I doubt it.

+ Reply to Thread