+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Moderation changes in-game

Default Moderation changes in-game

It's pretty obvious at this point that something has changed. There have been threads about chat moderation in Rift for quite a while, and a lot of people have said a lot of things. Some of those things, I think, can now be established to be true or false.

I don't know the exact scope of the changes. I am pretty sure that there were very few, if any, bans or GM-given squelches happening prior to around November 22 or 23. There seem to be some now. Assuming people are being truthful about what they report, at least a couple of people have gotten at least one account permanently banned. I don't know whether they're making new accounts, or just already had multiple accounts. On the other hand, they spend a lot of time not chatting with people.

With this, I think a few things can be conclusively stated to be false:
    • "This is just what chat is like in every MMO." Well, maybe it is now, but what it's like now is totally different from what it was like then.
    • "Moderation won't change anything." Definitively false. Whatever they're doing has had a huge impact on the tone and quality of Faeblight's 1-29.
    • "If you just put the people on ignore, there's no need for moderation." Watching chat now shows a large difference in tone for lots of people, not just the absence of a few trolls. Many people who were noticably hostile much of the time before are much friendlier now.
    • Specifically, there's a user on Faeblight (I'm sure many people can guess whom) that has been a go-to example, and I am at this point obliged to retract my claims. Because once the trolls stopped baiting her, she became not merely sort-of-calm, but actively engaged and helpful to other players. I would have had her on my list of "people who should be banned". I was, I think, just plain wrong on that. Glad the GMs were being more careful.

Some things I think are probably false:
    • "It will take less time to moderate if they get rid of a few troublemakers." I'm probably wrong on that; it looks, at least so far, like it does require some ongoing maintenance. That may change, though, because some of the troublemakers are going to get bored with making new accounts and re-levelling. But right now, it does seem that moderation is slowing GM responses in general down a little.
    • "They are doing things, you just don't notice." Pretty sure that's wrong, because now it is very noticeable when the trolls get shut down.
    • "If the GMs moderate chat, it will be boring and not funny." The GMs have been doing this for a while, and the trolling that's actually intended to be in some way funny, and doesn't get too spammy, seems to be continuing just fine.

Things that seem to have turned out to be true:
    • Even a small amount of moderation massively changes the tone of chat. Some of the "trolls" have gone from racial slurs to at least occasionally-funny video game trolling. The overall tone of chat is now friendly.
    • You can't totally eliminate all the abusive behavior. (Not that I think anyone ever suggested you could, but it's pretty clearly supported. There's still some.)
    • 1-29 chat can actually make the game experience more fun when it's lighter on abusive trolls.
    • Some people really did leave over the chat, and at least some seem to be coming back now that it's better.

Overall, I think it's very clear now that something changed. And that, if you want to use chat, it's for the better. The GMs don't seem to have any objections to people being funny or silly. Indeed, the GMs themselves are at least a little silly in chat, which I think indicates that they are totally fine with that.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

It's good to see Rift GM's are monitoring chat. I don't have it turned on, at all, due to the all the crap that gets said in there.

Hopefully it will turn out to be a good change and have a good impact on the community. Less trolls/hate and more helpfulness, at least publicly. Can't say how it will effect our smaller groups.

RIFT Guide Writer RoughRaptorsOld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Overall, I think it's very clear now that something changed.
    Maybe all of the immature idiots finally got bored and left? Dunno. I've never seen a GM in the chat for over a year so am I oblivious to this or are they actually moderating things that you can visibly see? Where are these mystery GMs? :-O
    Last edited by RoughRaptorsOld; 12-09-2013 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RoughRaptors View Post
    Maybe all of the immature idiots finally got bored and left? Dunno. I've never seen a GM in the chat for over a year so am I oblivious to this or are they actually moderating things that you can visibly see? Where are these mystery GMs? :-O
    They've been showing up in chat and talking to people. Which has happened in the past, but they're also now taking actions. First time in, one of the regular trolls tried to troll the GM, and got chat-muted for a few minutes instantly. He didn't learn from it, but a lot of other people did.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

RIFT Guide Writer RoughRaptorsOld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    They've been showing up in chat and talking to people. Which has happened in the past, but they're also now taking actions. First time in, one of the regular trolls tried to troll the GM, and got chat-muted for a few minutes instantly. He didn't learn from it, but a lot of other people did.
    Hm, well that's good to hear, I suppose I've just never been around for it (or in the right channels)

Quote Originally Posted by Renounced View Post
    It's good to see Rift GM's are monitoring chat. I don't have it turned on, at all, due to the all the crap that gets said in there.
    It may be worth checking on occasionally. Sometimes it's pretty quiet, sometimes fun. We still get times when it's dominated by stupid, but not as many.

It's funny how the chat turns real civil once a GM appears then instantly degrades when the GM leaves. At least for that one time I saw a GM online last week.
    Pantz@Hailol
    Asia's best cleric

Ascendant

It's easy for chat to be better when there isn't anybody left.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frailaq View Post

tl;dr - Trion should do this: Melee = Turret Ranged > Mobile Ranged

Quote Originally Posted by irkiz View Post
    It's funny how the chat turns real civil once a GM appears then instantly degrades when the GM leaves. At least for that one time I saw a GM online last week.
    It degrades some, but I haven't seen anything in a while that was as bad as the default prime-time behavior I was seeing in mid-november. I did see one person making an effort to start stuff, but people just chatted amiably about his efforts. Since it was just one guy, not a dogpile, he couldn't break the mood.

Good to see less insults both on forums and game chats. Life for trolls isn't safe under bridges! Thank you, Trion, if that's because of your policing efforts.

I wonder what happened to the trolls? And if taxes are going to go up... That NY Times news article link is dated for tomorrow by my time zone, lol, and I suppose it really belongs in Off Topic but it seemed to me to maybe be a little bit related to this one, if only slightly since it mentions WoW and other online games surveillance.
    Specter
    R87 Mage - Wolfsbane, Guardian

Sword of Telara

It certainly hasn't gotten any better on 1-29 chat on Zaviel. For a good 2hrs last night some guy was constantly spamming about aids and rectums in response to questions in chat, and that was the more tame conversation on that channel last night.

I agree with what was said earlier, a lot of the time people troll chat for attention and i've found that if people stop responding for a while they end up getting bored and actually start talking constructively a lot of the time.
    Last edited by Asharoth; 12-10-2013 at 01:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Asharoth View Post
    It certainly hasn't gotten any better on 1-29 chat on Zaviel. For a good 2hrs last night some guy was constantly spamming about aids and rectums in response to questions in chat, and that was the more tame conversation on that channel last night.
    We still see things like that sometimes. But it used to be basically every night prime-time, and now it's more temporary, and occasionally we see people suddenly disappearing. So the average is moving quite noticeably.

I agree with what was said earlier, a lot of the time people troll chat for attention and i've found that if people stop responding for a while they end up getting bored and actually start talking constructively a lot of the time.
    There's two different things here. There's the abuse/harassment stuff, people who go around spamming racial slurs and such to see whether they can get a response, and there's the people asking whether metroid gets hot in his suit. The former will keep going until they get a response. The latter will keep going until there's something interesting to talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by Asharoth View Post
    It certainly hasn't gotten any better on 1-29 chat on Zaviel. For a good 2hrs last night some guy was constantly spamming about aids and rectums in response to questions in chat
    I noticed that as well, it's the same two tools, Tweedledum and Tweedledee, that usually start up after 7pm shard time, probably when their homework is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    I noticed that as well, it's the same two tools, Tweedledum and Tweedledee, that usually start up after 7pm shard time, probably when their homework is done.
    I wonder whether it's a US/EU thing. The ones we lost first were the ones who regularly spammed chat with racial slurs, sent nasty threatening notes to people, and so on.

They've been on Grey. It was nice to see their presence in chat. You've just missed them RR.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorin View Post
    Get your tissues and self-confidence books ebabies. The crying has just begun.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast