+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Meteorblade

Thread: Is there a forum moderator on?

Soulwalker

Default Is there a forum moderator on?

There is a bot filling the tech support forums. As I am waiting on someone from tech support, it is driving me crazy.

Can a moderator please toss this guy.

Thanks

I'm trying to work out why it is so hard for them to block this spam. Sadly, I can't.

Is there a forum moderator on?-hitashi.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Majorin View Post
    Get your tissues and self-confidence books ebabies. The crying has just begun.

Soulwalker

Default ugh yes

whom ever it is, it is annoying as all get out. I am trying to get to my account (I am in an infinite loop on the website) and it is getting buried by this bot.

Post your query in General. It's not going to be seen in Tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorin View Post
    Get your tissues and self-confidence books ebabies. The crying has just begun.

Implementing a spam filter in vBulletin 4.1.3 is so difficult that it takes at least 3 months of OverloadUT's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rounded View Post
    Implementing a spam filter in vBulletin 4.1.3 is so difficult that it takes at least 3 months of OverloadUT's time.
    There are a number of spam threads in the General Discussion forum with links supposedly to American football and films (I wouldn't touch those links with someone else's bargepole). I reported one and was then very perplexed when I tried to report another one only to be told that there was a 1 minute cooldown on being able to report posts.

So the spammers, with multiple throw-away accounts, can spam incredibly frequently but we have to wait in order to report them? Outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Meteorblade View Post
    There are a number of spam threads in the General Discussion forum with links supposedly to American football and films (I wouldn't touch those links with someone else's bargepole). I reported one and was then very perplexed when I tried to report another one only to be told that there was a 1 minute cooldown on being able to report posts.

So the spammers, with multiple throw-away accounts, can spam incredibly frequently but we have to wait in order to report them? Outstanding.
    Yeah its amazing that Trion hasn't impletemented flood bot control in this. But then again I don't think they even know how to program. Having run vbulletin and phpbb both I know there is modifications to the code for SEO and for stopping spam bots. Theres even a mod that checks against known spammer ips and such called stopforumspam and it checks against throw away email accounts. At first it took some time but after about 3 months I had reported and added most of the same users that constantly spammed my forums. It went from what we are seeing lately to maybe 1 or 2 a week getting posted.

Funny thing is some of these spams are legit ads from jerks who get paid for sales when someone clicks the link and others are keyloggers or as Avast pointed out on one a virus the second you click it.

The movie post which contains frozen in it can be reported as allowing copyright infringment and that one will probally get removed and reported to their upstream provider since they are really cracking down on this now days.

+ Reply to Thread