Closed Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree160Likes

Thread: 8 Year Wow Veteran here. Is Rift a poor mans WoW?

Default 8 Year Wow Veteran here. Is Rift a poor mans WoW?

Sup everyone so im planning to come back to Rift once my time runs out on WoW. just dont have the money to pay $15 a month to play WoW anymore and looking to come back to Rift. I played Rift for a couple of months last year and still have it installed on my harddrive.

BUT Whenever I tell someone that i'm going back to play Rift they tell me that i shouldnt because there is no lore in this MMO and this game is basically a poor mans version of WoW. And I somewhat agree. This game doesnt seem to have any notable characters like Arthas, Thrall, Garosh, Kil'Jaeden, etc. So i'm trying to figure out if I should comeback to Rift and finish leveling my toon or just uninstall it permanently. I know this game has gone F2P (aka p2w: pay to win), so just need some advice from people who have played Rift a long time.

P.S. I'm almost a 9 year WoW veteran.
    Last edited by mmojunkie; 12-05-2013 at 11:26 AM.

I have no clue who those characters are you mentioned in your post, but you apparently haven't got to meet Atrophinius, Shyla, Cyril, Asha, Orphiel, or any other major character that lends itself to the story.

Is Rift a poor man's WoW? No.

Is Rift an MMORPG that appears to share similarities with many other games, not restricted to WoW, but also Everquest and others? Yes.

This game is so far from pay to win it's laughable to even see someone mention it. Top gear is earned in-game with no requirement to pay for it. It's more like paying to have convenience or pay to be mediocre.

If you want Gone With The Wind... read it, if you want a great MMO that's free, yeah, give Rift a spin.
    I Rift, therefore I am.

Shadowlander

It's different but still familiar.
    Last edited by spaceboots; 12-05-2013 at 11:37 AM.

Prophet of Telara

It costs you nothing to start playing again.

Rift Disciple

I can see asking this question for a pay game but not a free to play game. What are you doing here? Go play the game yourself. I don't even know what people would mean by "poor man's WoW". What is that? It does many things better than WoW. In fact, I enjoy Rift more than I enjoyed WoW.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by spaceboots View Post
    It's different but still familiar.
    I played WoW for 5 years (quit about a year ago). Explored some other genres then gave Rift a try. It kept my attention for two months and then got stale (especially when the cash shop started to get all the attention).

I think it is a poor mans WoW.

I'm not sure if it has notable characters and rich lore like WoW (I have no idea who those people are in the second posters comments, if that says anything). The zones (in Rift) felt so unspired (and bloody empty) that I didn't care to explore it.

You can buy everything but the current tier raid/PvP gear in the cash shop. People will say that's not P2W (and maybe it isn't, I'm not going to split hairs) but it's definitely humping the fence.

Give it a try, though, for sure. There is nothing to lose. It wasn't for me.
    Last edited by Loveblind; 12-05-2013 at 11:52 AM.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Loveblind View Post
    You can buy everything but the current tier raid/PvP gear in the cash shop. People will say that's not P2W (and maybe it isn't, I'm not going to split hairs) but it's definitely humping the fence.
    It's also not just a 20-dollar proposition, either.

You're talking hundreds of dollars to buy all that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mmojunkie View Post
    BUT Whenever I tell someone that i'm going back to play Rift they tell me that i shouldnt because there is no lore in this MMO and this game is basically a poor mans version of WoW. And I somewhat agree.
    My own opinion, as someone who loved WoW and only quit because of personal grudges against Blizzard:

Rift is, MHO, a better game than WoW, because it gets the important things right and does things that WoW wasn't willing to.

I spent years in WoW asking for:
    1. An option to disable auto-flagging in PvP.
    2. A third profession slot per character so I could have a little more variety.
    3. More interesting interactions between professions, so it wasn't just "this gathering profession feeds that crafting profession, that's all there is to it".
    4. More flexible build options of some sort.
    5. Better itemization, so you didn't have to have three or maybe four sets of gear for a single character.
    6. An appearance tab.
    7. Any way, at all, ever, to communicate between factions legitimately, in accordance with the lore under which it is painfully obvious that it is absolutely possible for everyone who isn't a player character.
    8. Armor dye.

None of these things ever happened in the five years or so I played WoW. Rift launched with most of them and added the last within a few months. WoW eventually appended a sort of half-baked near approximation of wardrobe that wasn't as good. Rift also has better multi-spec options (>5 roles as soon as you want them instead of 2 only after a long time), a much better designed and supported addon API (admittedly, not as powerful yet), a hugely better basic user interface, more responsive devs, shiny sets, rifts, invasions, more interesting character build options, puzzles and hidden caches...

I agree, the lore's not as polished and large, but then, I spend less time offended by the main lore characters having to carry the idiot ball so much to make the story "work". Rift's world is smaller, still, and they have fewer starting areas, etcetera, but at the same time, what they do have is pretty good and continually improving. They don't wait four expansion packs before revamping some of the quests in the lowbie areas; they do it as a sort of constant background of updating and improving.

The difference in a nutshell: When a Blizzard world event worked out in ways that made thousands of users unhappy, Blizzard reps made snide and dismissive remarks, then acted in a way that left many players thinking Blizzard had pulled the world event prematurely because of the complaints. When a Rift world event worked out in ways that made thousands of users unhappy, we got a detailed personal response from Scott Hartsman (at the time, the lead dev), explaining what they had been trying to accomplish, how it had failed, what they would do in the future to make world events work better for us, and what they were giving us to make up for the problems and ensure that people who wanted the achievements from the event would get them.

When a Rift user started a thread about being unjustly banned, he didn't just get reinstated. He got a personal apology, not from the GMs, but from the dev whose code had generated the false positive.

I have had my complaints about Rift, and I still do. But when I had problems with WoW, I wrote them letters, I posted on the forums, and I never, ever, not once, got a single response. The closest I saw was a blue name saying that they thought their game and forums would be better off without any players who thought the real name thing might be a bad idea. When I have problems with Rift, and I post here, I sometimes get responses. I have seen detailed explanations of why a thing has to be a way I don't like. Heck, when I got particularly upset once, I wrote a letter to Trion's CEO. I got a personal response back, and I don't mean a form letter.

Rift's weaknesses compared to WoW are:
    1. Smaller lore, mostly because they didn't have three previous games to work with.
    2. Weaker art design, mostly in the very early zones. I know WoW's often criticized for being "cartoony", but it had more consistent aesthetics. Rift's gotten a lot better about that, though.
    3. Smaller player base.
    4. Less world content to explore.

Rift's strengths compared to WoW are:
    Everything else.

In one game, if you managed to find a way up a mountain to a hidden place, you could get banned for "exploiting". In the other, you had a good shot at finding epic loot.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Quote Originally Posted by MagCynic View Post
    I can see asking this question for a pay game but not a free to play game. What are you doing here? Go play the game yourself. I don't even know what people would mean by "poor man's WoW". What is that? It does many things better than WoW. In fact, I enjoy Rift more than I enjoyed WoW.
    Mean's your too poor to play the real thing so you have to settle for a watered down version aka a poor mans version of the real deal.
    Last edited by mmojunkie; 12-05-2013 at 12:03 PM.

The only reason people know world of warcraft's characters are from blizzard's previous RTS series warcraft which had a signifigant single player storyline...

without that WoW has nothing that Rift doesn't have, the in-game lore is about the same in both games. most idiots don't even read the quest texts and yet still wonder why there is no lore...

I'd say that Rift is what WoW would have been if blizzard wasn't blinded by corporate greed and completely casualized for the idiot masses after vanilla.

every single game blizzard has released since WoW got popular (including WoW's expansions) has reeked of mediocrety and greed beyond belief. I will NEVER make the mistake of buying blizzard games again after what they did with diablo 3

so basically, just play rift and enjoy it, if you liked old WoW you'll like rift even more
    Last edited by Redcruxs; 12-05-2013 at 12:06 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by mmojunkie View Post
    Sup everyone so im planning to come back to Rift once my time runs out on WoW. just dont have the money to pay $15 a month to play WoW anymore and looking to come back to Rift. I played Rift for a couple of months last year and still have it installed on my harddrive.

BUT Whenever I tell someone that i'm going back to play Rift they tell me that i shouldnt because there is no lore in this MMO and this game is basically a poor mans version of WoW. And I somewhat agree. This game doesnt seem to have any notable characters like Arthas, Thrall, Garosh, Kil'Jaeden, etc. So i'm trying to figure out if I should comeback to Rift and finish leveling my toon or just uninstall it permanently. I know this game has gone F2P (aka p2w: pay to win), so just need some advice from people who have played Rift a long time.

P.S. I'm almost a 9 year WoW veteran.
    Lore gets very little attention from Trion NOW but why don't you try it for yourself. Since you played it before you'll have most of the unlocks so you'll need nothing from the cash shop.

I feel like Rift was all set up to have some really great and prominent characters, but they abandoned them all for Storm Legion.

Asha could've been great, same with Orphiel and Faceless Man, but they just set them aside after 2.0. I remember them saying they wanted to go back to the old characters though, so I'm hoping in 3.0 we'll get our lore.

Quote Originally Posted by xanduin246 View Post
    I feel like Rift was all set up to have some really great and prominent characters, but they abandoned them all for Storm Legion.

Asha could've been great, same with Orphiel and Faceless Man, but they just set them aside after 2.0. I remember them saying they wanted to go back to the old characters though, so I'm hoping in 3.0 we'll get our lore.

Storm Legion shifted the spotlight onto different and new characters like Atrophinius, Tasuil :Solemn Salute: Miela, Batua, Salvarola, etc. However, prominent characters from pre-SL Rift seem to be taking the spotlight for 3.0. The Faceless Man (Defiant, ex-Abyssal) and Solya Karini (Guardian, Farclan Queen) look like they'll be big players.

I'm excited to see how things move forward! Many of the quests in SL seem to follow loosely along a common, subtly hidden theme. As the pre 3.0 quests are showing, all of the storylines in Storm Legion seem to be coming together to something seriously epic in 3.0. Like, time-before-time, begining/end of the world(s) stuff.
    Last edited by Azchire; 12-05-2013 at 12:54 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast