Closed Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Like Tree160Likes

Thread: 8 Year Wow Veteran here. Is Rift a poor mans WoW?

Quote Originally Posted by mmojunkie View Post
    vet·er·an
    noun \ˈve-tə-rən, ˈve-trən\

: someone who has a lot of experience in a particular activity, job, etc.
    Or "someone who lives in the basement of mom and dads house and has no life outside the video game he has his parents pay for?"

Quote Originally Posted by Aalnyan View Post
    Or "someone who lives in the basement of mom and dads house and has no life outside the video game he has his parents pay for?"
    Im not sure what your goal is here.

Are you trying to discredit a troll? Or prove to the community how terribly *** hurt it is about wow for some reason.

Sword of Telara

vet·er·an

Hmn, by your definition that makes my veteran status in mmo's double your own (started playing Ultima Online on the day of release 24th Sept 1997 and have played mmo's exclusively since), you young whipper snappers

Shadowlander

Imagine an Orc and a Human as guildmates. That's Rift.

Imagine one guild in the world caring enough to put in the time to kill Garrosh. That's Rift.

Imagine being able to buy a full set of 540ish gear for about $700 and people actually doing it. That's Rift.

(Yes I know he's just some forum troll who makes a different post about WoW every day or so, I just love talking about it)

Mean's your too poor to play the real thing so you have to settle for a watered down version aka a poor mans version of the real deal.
    Its has nothing to do with Being Poor, It the point of: "oh should I pay 15 bucks a month for a game that I probably wont even play? Its also smart, Why pay for a game when you can play a better one for free?
    Last edited by Redhead; 12-10-2013 at 08:52 AM.
    A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves. -Lao Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by Redhead View Post
    Its has nothing to do with Being Poor, It the point of: "oh should I pay 15 bucks a month for a game that I probably wont even play? Its also smart, Why pay for a game when you can play a better one for free?
    Well, technically it's not free because of the P2W cash shop. So if there is something that you really want and can only get it through the cash shop, its gonna cost you some $$$. But yeah i see what your saying.

Shadowlander

I just love it when the WoW haters convince themselves that the game they do like is vastly different than WoW. This game, and any game in the genre, is so exactly like WoW it couldnt be any more like WoW without being WoW. The only difference in this one is the Rifts themselves.

WoW is so jam packed with content it is silly. The proof starts the very moment you first make a character here. Rift has one starter area for all per faction. WoW has one per class. After that it is all WoW with less stuff to do.

Anyone who thinks that this game is different has blinders on. Dont get me wrong. This is not a bash. I enjoy WoW and Rift and LOTRO and SWTOR and Tera and all the games I play. But they are all WoW clones. Its the model that works. Although I think people are getting pretty tired of it and are ready for change.

Flame away. But this game is WoW minus a ton of content. /shrug

M

PS I would like to add that I agree with the poster who said that WoW is dumbed down. It is. But it still has more content in its little finger than any other game in the genre has in its whole hand. And they are all the same.

M
    Last edited by hippiechick; 12-11-2013 at 04:41 AM.

vet·er·an

Because Merriam-Webster is known for their fabulous definitions.
    That may be the denotation, but that's not what it really means. With that simple definition I could say I'm a "shoe-tying veteran" or a "pb&j sandwich eating veteran". But we don't say that, because it sounds stupid. Just like how saying you're a WoW veteran sounds stupid.
    Last edited by Drel; 12-11-2013 at 11:53 AM.

This topic has degenerated into arguing over the definition of a veteran.

How about we stop replying to it so it can fall into oblivion?

Rift Disciple

Mean's your too poor to play the real thing so you have to settle for a watered down version aka a poor mans version of the real deal.

Lol, if you think Rift is a "poor man's" game you are a fool.

I know people who willingly spend upwards of $100 or more a month here. Personally I just farm platinum and buy rex packs, about 4 or 5 a month.

Did you ever spend $40 to $50 a month on wow?

Prophet of Telara

Well, technically it's not free because of the P2W cash shop. So if there is something that you really want and can only get it through the cash shop, its gonna cost you some $$$. But yeah i see what your saying.
    Doesn't know the meaning of P2W and you guys keep responding to this guy.

Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pallydrome View Post
    Doesn't know the meaning of P2W and you guys keep responding to this guy.

Amazing.
    well, what if he's not a troll, and he really is that stupid? shouldn't some one help him?

Quote Originally Posted by Majorin View Post
    Get your tissues and self-confidence books ebabies. The crying has just begun.

Quote Originally Posted by hippiechick View Post
    I just love it when the WoW haters convince themselves that the game they do like is vastly different than WoW. This game, and any game in the genre, is so exactly like WoW it couldnt be any more like WoW without being WoW. The only difference in this one is the Rifts themselves.

WoW is so jam packed with content it is silly. The proof starts the very moment you first make a character here. Rift has one starter area for all per faction. WoW has one per class. After that it is all WoW with less stuff to do.

Anyone who thinks that this game is different has blinders on. Dont get me wrong. This is not a bash. I enjoy WoW and Rift and LOTRO and SWTOR and Tera and all the games I play. But they are all WoW clones. Its the model that works. Although I think people are getting pretty tired of it and are ready for change.

Flame away. But this game is WoW minus a ton of content. /shrug

M

PS I would like to add that I agree with the poster who said that WoW is dumbed down. It is. But it still has more content in its little finger than any other game in the genre has in its whole hand. And they are all the same.

M
    I'm one of those that posted that I think WoW is dumbed down. I wouldn't call my self a WoW hater, I started during beta which would be mid 2004 or something and stopped playing mid 2013, can't say I'd spend 9 years playing a game I hated. I do agree that WoW has more content, not that suprising seeing as it was launched before Rift. However most of the lvling content and the old raids you never see, so in the end it ain't that much after all. WoW was gamebreaking yes, all games share similarities with it, just as most other games do with games in their own genere but I wouldn't go as far as calling Rift a clone. I've cleard every raid up till late spring 2013 in WoW and I can't say that if you progressed the natural way gear wise it was that much of a challenge, in Rift however a tiny, tiny mistake is so punishing not only for you but for the whole raid even with the proper gear. I might go as far to admit that content below raids are WoW like, raids however are not.
    17/17 T1, 4/4 T1HM, 4/4 GA, 3/3 IG, 5/5 PB

Default No. Just no.

Quote Originally Posted by Drel View Post
    Because Merriam-Webster is known for their fabulous definitions.
    That may be the denotation, but that's not what it really means. With that simple definition I could say I'm a "shoe-tying veteran" or a "pb&j sandwich eating veteran". But we don't say that, because it sounds stupid. Just like how saying you're a WoW veteran sounds stupid.

It sounds stupid because those are common every day things. Big difference. I guess i'll put it this way. If say you're interested in joining a guild right? And you ask, "what about the guild leader how much experience does he have?". And the guild officer replies "Our GM has 8 years of experience playing and raid leading in WoW." I'm sure that'll open your eyes. What if that person just said oh hes experienced. Then you'd be like forget it. I dont know about you but if i'm going to join a raiding guild i'd much rather join one where it is being lead by veterans vs a fresh new guild with noobs. IDK just my opinion.

It sounds stupid because those are common every day things. Big difference. I guess i'll put it this way. If say you're interested in joining a guild right? And you ask, "what about the guild leader how much experience does he have?". And the guild officer replies "Our GM has 8 years of experience playing and raid leading in WoW." I'm sure that'll open your eyes. What if that person just said oh hes experienced. Then you'd be like forget it. I dont know about you but if i'm going to join a raiding guild i'd much rather join one where it is being lead by veterans vs a fresh new guild with noobs. IDK just my opinion.
    We get guild applicants all the time that throw around "I played WoW for the last ____ years" and I actually find myself straying away from someone like that more than just "I'm new to this game".

I don't care what a person did in another game. I do not care how much experience someone has with raiding in other games. Other games are a complete moot point in comparison to Rift. Now me saying we've been raiding since June 2011 in Rift? That holds some weight here, but I would not expect it to hold any weight in other games.

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast