+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree158Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Looking for an update on the issue with harvesting mobs

Quote Originally Posted by Cyann View Post
    Just gonna throw out a crazy idea. Bots are bad and no one wants to support people who are trashing the in game economy for their own benefit. And we can acknowledge that there is some manner of conversion rate between Rex and plat and real world dollars. The idea of Trion straight up selling herbs, elm and karthite directly on the AH to line their own pockets seems distasteful. But what if Trion sold the herbs, elm and karthite on the AH, yet for each quantity sold this way Trion can donate some portion of actual money to a good cause like Child's Play?

Botters get booted, players get the items they need at a reasonable price if they choose not to spend their time harvesting, Trion gets some real cash which would normally have been property of botters and plat sellers (in the form of more rex's sold as opposed to 3rd party plat sales because no bots means no plat farmers), and charity gets some too. Seems like a system everyone involved could feel good about.
    What? No.

How does this get rid of botters? Who determines a "reasonable price?" Why would anyone ever add a system like this?
    Noco@Wolfsbane

Soulwalker

I started playing RIFT 5 months ago. The majority of my time in the game is used to Farm for resources. Certain items are best farmed from mobs, such as cloth and I appreciate the amount of mobs in that given area for supplying that cloth item. Nodes on the other hand are few and far between. Items like Copper, Silver, Gantamite, Karthite, and Rhenium are not as plentyfull as they should be. With every new player to the game, we get more Crafting Professionals and each of those Crafters are seeking the same nodes.
    I personally don't have issue with the cloth or leather drop rate from mobs, even with the amount of Crafters that start-up each day. I do have an issue with Nodes not being plentiful enough.
    I have all the trades on one character. It takes me 1 week to get all the materials I need to have for the next Wednesday, when I get to do Grand Master crafting Dailies. Any extra materials I have are used the following day to do normal Dailies, and the cycle continues.
    Each Wednesday, I get roughly 30 Dailies to do. Of all those dailies, I get perhaps 8 GM Marks but more if I convert the crafting marks to GM marks.
    It takes me about 2 weeks to get enough Marks to gain the GM Marks and buy a high-end recipe. Those recipes cost 30 GM Marks 100 MC Marks.
    My passion to collect all the crafting recipes so I can supply the service to my Guild Mates has effectively reduced my time to join my guild mates in other game content like Greater Hunts and Dungeons, even to the point that my guild mates no longer ask me to join them, but rather, they know where to find me in Tempest Bay looking at the AH prices, or out farming materials for the following Wednesday.
    I don't think that every Crafter in RIFT has my same issue with time constraint but I think that increasing the amount of Nodes or even the amount of resources from those few nodes would greatly help me to gain more time to spend with my guild mates.
    As for Bots, I have reported a fare share of botters. I take movies of their actions and pathing. I attempt to reach them through normal Yell, Say, Tell messages before I am convinced I need to report them. My experience with a bot looting my kills before I do is an issue that I hope Trion can get a handle on.

1. The character's name, shard, and type of botting performed are the most vital details needed in a bot report
    Maybe when you click a CS ticket to report a bot...i believe bot report is category right?...just have it automatically generate a template for players.

BOT REPORT:

Player Name:
    Shard:
    Type of Botting:
    Additional Comments:

Just have the type be in the text box after people click the report bot subcategory. That way even newer players will already know what you are looking for when reporting a bot.
    Xenohart
    http://www.fractureguild.enjin.com/ | twitch.tv/xenohartgaming
    4/4 TDQ | 4/4 FT | 5/5 EE | 4/4 GA | 3/3 IG | 4/5 PB | 2/4 BOB 4/4 minis
    I just make it look easy sometimes. ~Daglar

Ascendant

I think there needs to be more resource nodes available in general. Players should not have to rely on places that are like Witch's Thicket (there's a couple other places that are like this) to gather materials at a decent pace. Dolcega Valley used to be a decent place for materials, but ever since it went F2P I think, the Linden nodes stopped respawning quickly, though the other nodes still respawn fairly quickly.

For one, I generally avoid places like Seratos because it's mostly a big zone of... nothing. There's a lot of areas that just lack nodes, you can probably travel more than 100 meters and still see no nodes. If they cannot increase the amount of nodes in all the zones in general, then harvesting from a node should yield 2-4 materials per harvest, -or- respawning much faster.
    White Fang

Adastra@Greybriar

Quote Originally Posted by CM Morgana View Post
    2&3. This is not the case on either count! You can report any number of bots by updating your ticket with more names. By typing /cs and tabbing over to the "Contact a GM" tab, and then clicking the update button, you can add an additional reply with as many names as you like. Additionally, you can update your ticket any number of times before you receive an answer, and all the listed names will be investigated by the GM that handles it.
    The problem is mostly that if we're used to ticketing systems, it seems really strange to have multiple cases in a single ticket. Especially since the cases might be of different types. If one of our regular trolls is sending people death threats, and also I find a botter, and I report them both, that's a sucky ticket for some CS rep to deal with; it would be better if I could have more than one ticket.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Quote Originally Posted by CM Morgana View Post
    I had someone from CS go through your past tickets to try and find the GM that told you to report only one bot per ticket, but were unable to locate one. If you have a specific ticket number for me, please send it my way and we will investigate it ASAP, so that that GM can be corrected for future replies.
    I went to look through my ticket history as well, but on the site it only goes back a couple months--the responses I mentioned were quite some time ago (1-2 years) and were mixed in with the canned "Thanks for reporting" text (which is why I didn't notice it the first time and continued to do multiple reports). Glad to see it's changed since then.
    Last edited by -Swag-; 12-04-2013 at 10:54 AM.
    Noco@Wolfsbane

Soulwalker

This might be a stupid question but is there any explanation on the different types of bots and how to identify them?

I only assume someone is a bot if they have 20 stacks of 99 of one material type on the AH but that might not be true they could just be an insane hoarder with a lot of time on their hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffin View Post
    This might be a stupid question but is there any explanation on the different types of bots and how to identify them?

I only assume someone is a bot if they have 20 stacks of 99 of one material type on the AH but that might not be true they could just be an insane hoarder with a lot of time on their hands.
    Some simple tips for spotting a botter:
    1. Farming (and harvesting) the same group of mobs for days, weeks or months on end--all day every day.
    2. No Planar focus/machine (or an extremely limited one with a single, low level lesser in it)
    3. Moneybags' trinket equipped
    4. Public grouping turned on
    5. PvP auto-flag turned on (hey, free kills!) (not as common as it used to be)
    6. Movement in straight lines with "perfect" turns (they turn instantly and move straight with no correction for over-turning)
    7. They jump randomly.
    8. They always use the same sequence of attacks, even when it's horribly slow or the rotation makes no sense (like Cadence spam to kill every mob)
    9. They refresh their buffs much more frequently than they need to OR they never have buffs
    10. If they move to kill a mob once it enters their range (some rely on pulling mobs to them) they'll move back to the exact spot they were at when they deviated from their path once they've finished the kill/harvest.
    11. They don't respond to anything (tells, runnign around them in circles, training mobs over them, kill stealing, harvest stealing, etc)
    12. They're unguilded (not a great tell, but they're almost always unguilded and those who are in guilds are all in the same guild (to make use of +coin from kills perks)
    13. They usually don't have titles
    14. They never use mounts

Not all of these will always apply, but they're pretty good guidelines. The best tells in my experience are the way they move along their path, the PvP autoflag being on (and their attacking you if you flag as well, though that's far less common than it used to be) and the use of the Moneybags' trinket.

There's probably about 50 bots farming on any server at any given time (number pulled from asѕ). Honestly it's not nearly as bad as most games, but it still helps to report them. Personally, I believe that many of these bots are used by actual players to generate additional income and not by gold-farming organizations, but that's just speculation.
    Last edited by -Swag-; 12-04-2013 at 11:32 AM.
    Noco@Wolfsbane

Soulwalker

Thanks that was really helpful Swag!

Quote Originally Posted by Qillyu View Post
    It actually helps the bot users. Players end up going to the AH to get materials, which gives money to the bots. It also drives up AH prices, which gives more money to the bots.

I'm all for getting rid of bots, but by restricting the supply and not reducing the demand, you're tipping the economy in the favor of those who have the most time to dedicate to gathering... the bots.
    This 100% (and more characters so I can post)
    Seltara ~ Defiant

How about upping the yield of supply crates earned from crafting quests? It doesn't solve the whole problem, but might help. That or make stacks of materials purchasable with the marks earned from crafting quests.

Do that and have crafting/harvesting quests award skill points, you could probably take the resources off ore/plant mobs. Just be sure to give us plenty of notice, it seems like one of the biggest thing that agitates the players are when things are changed and they don't know the change is coming.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Qillyu View Post
    How about upping the yield of supply crates earned from crafting quests? It doesn't solve the whole problem, but might help. That or make stacks of materials purchasable with the marks earned from crafting quests.

Do that and have crafting/harvesting quests award skill points, you could probably take the resources off ore/plant mobs. Just be sure to give us plenty of notice, it seems like one of the biggest thing that agitates the players are when things are changed and they don't know the change is coming.
    This solution would almost completely eliminate the economy around crafting materials. Crafting dailies should not be self-sustaining.

Champion

For their to be an economy players have to rely on other players for stuff they need.

The discussion here would perhaps turn in a useful direction if people pointed to specific examples where they believe this type of interaction is terribly out of balance.

Or, if some of you do not believe it is fun or enjoyable to effectively be forced into this interaction, then state your case.

I am a moderate/heavy participant in harvesting and the crafting daily grind, because once they offered up extra crafting slots I went ahead and got the 9 slots. Also, out of some bizarre completionist tendencies, I decided to go after the harvesting achievements. (not hit the big ones yet!)

That said, I do not have any major gripe with current drop rates in regard to harvesting.

Lastly I would like to remind anyone who forgot, or simply was not playing the game at the time: Rift started out with nodes only, with the exception of leather. Firestorms in this forum lead to monsters being added for the other harvestables. In short time the AH flooded with materials, of course. Shortly thereafter the drop rates on monsters were heavily nerfed. That was when they went to the current system of getting a resource or junk loot from a killed monster. (I do not know the actual drop rate, other than it is low... effectively forcing non-automated players to turn to nodes.)

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    Yep, I call it unfortunate. Sometimes, we can't have nice things because of bad people.

It's also unfortunate that you are so upset about us missing the patch note. Its unfortunate because, I can't change the past and fix the fact that it was not included.

Have a nice night.

~Daglar

Wait so bad planning and you guys supporting the bots is bad planning?

You nerf the drop rates making payers send 2/3x more farming or buying from the ah where wait for it .....Yes the botters are selling all their stuff gotten via an automated process.

Sorry Daglar but you guys massively dropped the ball with the biggest joke being you just seem to be adamant it will affect botters , which it does but only marginally compared to the massive impact on legit players.

The fact that this chokes off the best plat stream for legitimate farmers is, of course, just a coincidence. The fact that this action cuts off a way for users to earn plat and buy credits with in-game work instead of cash is purely incidental.

I've seen and reported obvious botters. The fact that nothing ever happened to them is purely an accident.

This action OBVIOUSLY is the best way to hinder botting. Way better than following up on reports and actually banning botter accounts. I mean, duh.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast