Closed Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By DriftinARift
  • 1 Post By Captain Kremmen

Thread: Skeleton Keys: Will They Continue to Drop?

RIFT Guide Writer VampiricDemise's Avatar

Default Skeleton Keys: Will They Continue to Drop?

I noticed in the hotfix notes today that the original "Deeps' Lock Box Key" has been changed to the Skeleton Lock Box Key and can open all levels of lock boxes. I have a few questions about these changes:
    1. With the change of the Deeps' Keys to Skeleton Keys, are these items phased out from dropping in the world?
    2. Are the new keys there to replace the old Deeps' Keys?
    3. If the Skeleton Keys no longer drop, will the new Lock Box Keys drop instead?

The notes do say that the old keys have been renamed and new ones are placed in the Rift Store. I mean it sounds as if they are essentially removed and have been replaced with the items in the store but I just want to be 100% sure that is happening and if the random world drop of either these Skeleton Keys or the new Lock Box Keys will happen.

Khatha . Cleric . Guardian . Faeblight
    Want to see some of the dims I have made? Check my Gallery
    Hunting rare spawns in old Telara? The Handbook to Rare Spawn Creatures of Telara

I was wondering the same after I read the patch notes. The change makes no sense from a player's point of view; right now one key opens all types of lock-boxes.

Locking keys to the same level of lock box is most defintely not a game experience improvement for players. They will end up with keys for boxes they don't have or the other way around. It is an annoying and pointless change.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Rarz View Post
    I was wondering the same after I read the patch notes. The change makes no sense from a player's point of view; right now one key opens all types of lock-boxes.

Locking keys to the same level of lock box is most defintely not a game experience improvement for players. They will end up with keys for boxes they don't have or the other way around. It is an annoying and pointless change.
    this is the point, lockboxes provide players with a reward and the keys are there so trion benefits. The problem is that trion did the lockboxes *** backwards when yhey introduced them, and the change is seen by some apparently as unfair.

The lockboxes are going to drop in price because of this, and key prices will be set by trion in credits, or by players who have them and will likely rise compared to the keys before the patch(which were worthless).

Also, I am almost positive that skeleton keys will not drop because they are being phases out i think? I am not sure if the new keys drop in the open world , but lots of people got at least a blue key from the patron gift (weekly?), unless that was kind of a promotion/introduction to the new keys.

Quote Originally Posted by uh1valkyrie View Post

Also, I am almost positive that skeleton keys will not drop because they are being phases out i think? I am not sure if the new keys drop in the open world , but lots of people got at least a blue key from the patron gift (weekly?), unless that was kind of a promotion/introduction to the new keys.
    That is the vibe I am getting when I read the patch notes about the Skeleton Keys that they will no longer be dropping in the world and only available from people who have hoarded theirs all this time. But again, I would rather ask for clarification than go on with my own assumptions that could potentially be incorrect.

Unless the new keys can be looted from corpses, profession daily boxes, etc., then this change that we have been migrated into was not wise at all. I do not charge cash for credits nor do I have the plat capacity (or plat gain) to be asking for REX to have the credits to buy said Lock Box Keys to open any box I may come across. I will be better off being one of the many in the crowd trying to sell the boxes for any sum of cash because I no longer have the storage space to carry it around. I would essentially get to a point that I could buy the REX at that time but then I am out of a box to use a Lock Box Key on.

Far as getting one of the new Lock Box Keys from the patron weekly, it might have been a promotional thing for those on Patron status. But for folks like myself that are not subbed/not using Patron Passes from the Store, I was not so lucky with the normal Daily Gift.

Hunting rare spawns in old Telara? The Handbook to Rare Spawn Creatures of Telara

Champion

I too want to know if the new style of stratified Deeps keys will drop off mobs in the world or if they will now be cash-shop only. If it's the latter, well Trion just kissed goodbye to the least offensive lockbox implementation I've seen so far in favour of the Cryptic way which is quite the opposite.
    Last edited by Islesi; 11-21-2013 at 07:02 AM.
    RIP Icewatch and Argent.
    Not another damn penny.

Quote Originally Posted by uh1valkyrie View Post
    this is the point, lockboxes provide players with a reward and the keys are there so trion benefits. The problem is that trion did the lockboxes *** backwards when yhey introduced them, and the change is seen by some apparently as unfair.

The lockboxes are going to drop in price because of this, and key prices will be set by trion in credits, or by players who have them and will likely rise compared to the keys before the patch(which were worthless).

They aren't dropping anymore. And the one I got from my patron is the lowest kind, so pretty worthless. The keys are for sale in the shop, as are the crates. Crates haven't dropped in price, and the keys are roughly half the price of the crate they open.

So, from having one stack of keys that open all kinds of crates, you now go to three stacks of keys that might open the the crate. It is a shortsighted and greedy change by Trion. They'll probably try to sell it as 'experience enhancement'.
    Last edited by Rarz; 11-21-2013 at 11:41 AM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by VampiricDemise View Post
    That is the vibe I am getting when I read the patch notes about the Skeleton Keys that they will no longer be dropping in the world and only available from people who have hoarded theirs all this time. But again, I would rather ask for clarification than go on with my own assumptions that could potentially be incorrect.

Unless the new keys can be looted from corpses, profession daily boxes, etc., then this change that we have been migrated into was not wise at all. I do not charge cash for credits nor do I have the plat capacity (or plat gain) to be asking for REX to have the credits to buy said Lock Box Keys to open any box I may come across. I will be better off being one of the many in the crowd trying to sell the boxes for any sum of cash because I no longer have the storage space to carry it around. I would essentially get to a point that I could buy the REX at that time but then I am out of a box to use a Lock Box Key on.

Far as getting one of the new Lock Box Keys from the patron weekly, it might have been a promotional thing for those on Patron status. But for folks like myself that are not subbed/not using Patron Passes from the Store, I was not so lucky with the normal Daily Gift.
    This is actually funny, because Ive complained that ive opened many boxes pre-change and got a relic item, that was weaker than a blue from expert dungeons...

My response was, Trion has no control over randomly generate items... ROFLMAO.

This is just a ploy to make it so they can milk the random boxes for real money. But unless people realize the items are worthless, they will get away with it. Only thing semi decent is the marks... but that is random and rare. I mostly get relic item buffs, which don't stack with the PA buffs.. so again.. completely worthless.

General of Telara

Look's like Trion is preparing the next Phase of Operation Chinese cash shop model.
    Every month Rift Cash shop is looking a lot more like Perfect world and Forskaken world Model of cash shop.

I have a feeling soon we won't be able to buy rex with plat or it will become 230203 harder making it cash payments only for the store. what happens for the most part with Cash shop games one way or another.
    Last edited by DriftinARift; 11-21-2013 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakim View Post
    This is actually funny, because Ive complained that ive opened many boxes pre-change and got a relic item, that was weaker than a blue from expert dungeons...

My response was, Trion has no control over randomly generate items... ROFLMAO.

This is just a ploy to make it so they can milk the random boxes for real money. But unless people realize the items are worthless, they will get away with it. Only thing semi decent is the marks... but that is random and rare. I mostly get relic item buffs, which don't stack with the PA buffs.. so again.. completely worthless.
    To be honest, this was not about the lock boxes or their contents; it was about the new and old keys and whether the Skeleton Keys would be available or phased out for the new keys. I also understand that Trion has no control over random generated items but a simple "yes" or "no" to a question of do the Skeleton Keys drop still from in game sources or do the new Lock Box Keys drop instead.

But in either case, it does sound that the Skeleton Keys are a thing of the past now and the new Lock Box Keys are here to stay. Other than people getting it from their Patron Weekly Gift as a chance item, will these new keys be able to be looted from the same sources as the Skeleton Keys? If they do not, then I will just be selling any box that I loot from now on even if the contents is 'useless' instead of using keys I have looted and use on the same boxes I have looted as well.

Plane Walker

The changes to the lockbox keys is a total kick in the pants for patrons. We were guaranteed a key every week with the weekly patron gift, and now it looks like we got the shaft by just getting a random rarity key that may or may not open a lockbox. Way to go Trion, once again totally devaluing people who have actually showed you loyalty by subbing to the game.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Rarz View Post
    They aren't dropping anymore. And the one I got from my patron is the lowest kind, so pretty worthless. The keys are for sale in the shop, as are the crates. Crates haven't dropped in price, and the keys are roughly half the price of the crate they open.

So, from having one stack of keys that open all kinds of crates, you now go to three stacks of keys that might open the the crate. It is a shortsighted and greedy change by Trion. They'll probably try to sell it as 'experience enhancement'.
    Note that the boxes in the store do not require keys. What we have here is lockboxes dropping in the world that match the current supply crate being offered and if that continues it will make a few people happy when they have a couple of "free" chances at whatever crazy mount is in them.

What I don't like is that this essentially tanks the price on all the boxes since the keys are going up in price and are, for free players, about 100x more rare than a box.

I would like to see the keys drops as often as their respective boxes.
    Last edited by Kinada; 11-21-2013 at 05:49 PM.

Soulwalker

So far I've had Skeleton Lock Box Keys drop, I also have "Rare Lock Box Key"s they seem to be a lot worse since the green skellies can open epic and artifact level and the rare lock box key can only open uncommon and rare.

In the two weeks I played I had four drop so far.
    Some of these drops were from daily rewards. (I dunno if it was warfronts, adventure, also I'm pretty sure that in my daily or weekly gift there was one key)

To be honest, this was not about the lock boxes or their contents; it was about the new and old keys and whether the Skeleton Keys would be available or phased out for the new keys. I also understand that Trion has no control over random generated items but a simple "yes" or "no" to a question of do the Skeleton Keys drop still from in game sources or do the new Lock Box Keys drop instead.
    You want a simple answer from Trion? That's something you are not, unfortunately, likely to get.
    “Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”

― Isaac Asimov

Telaran

I also understand that Trion has no control over random generated items but a simple "yes" or "no" to a question of do the Skeleton Keys drop still from in game sources or do the new Lock Box Keys drop instead.
    And.... you're a tool.
    Last edited by Drakim; 11-27-2013 at 01:21 PM.
    User received an infraction for this post

Quote Originally Posted by Drakim View Post
    And.... you're a tool.
    That was an unnecessary comment.

Let the thread die get buried in the pages since there will be no answer to the question from Trion. I will just have to be satisfied with my assumed answer that I had originally.

Closed Thread