Closed Thread

Thread: Slow performance of "Rift Patcher" Update program

Soulwalker

Thumbs down Slow performance of "Rift Patcher" Update program

Hi,

Today I have downloaded the Rift install client for the first time. The installation and downloading went very smooth. After I started the game client for the first time I got a message that an update was required. Ok this is pretty normal when beta testing so no worries there. The update program started to update Rift, and update Rift and is still updating Rift. This process is so slow i tried to figure out why but could not find anything.

The game is installed on High Speed 10K sata disks, but the update program does not use any or very less disk I/O,. My system has 6Gb of RAM but the program does not use more then 3Mb and a full Quad Core i7 CPU is idelling while this program runs. So it must be a lot of data coming in to my system through my 60Mb network connection but what? there is not more then 8Kb of traffic coming in

OK the text above is a bit sarcastic but that is how i feel about the updater, if you really wanna make this game a success make sure the updater is using all the resources to update the game a quick as possible.

Soulwalker

No offense but your an idiot. It does not matter what HDD your's system has or how many GB ram it has, or how fast your internet connection is ( wtf do you get a 60Mb connection at? I run a 35/35 Fiber) There is an issue with DNS on their servers. I can tell you this because everytime I change my DNS server i seem to get about 2 minutes of 2.5Mb download speed.

They REALLY need to fix this

Soulwalker

Default agreed

I would concur with the DNS servers likely being the culprit, seems also plausible that the internal hand off between subnets could be causing lost packets on top of the primary connection issue. I am currently running at 10/10 at my work connection and am lucky to top 50kbs, pretty awful.

Soulwalker

oddly enough within 10 minutes of posting this, everything is fixed and I'm back to 2.5mb/s+, go figure - Thanks Trion!

Closed Thread