+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Hacked!!!

Telaran

Default Hacked!!!

Hi all!! Be aware there seems to be some sort of hack going on!

I logged out of the game at 1:00am this morning - all fine. At 9:30am I check my emails and see I received 2 coin-locked Emails. I ponder WTH?? But then again coin-locked is coin-locked so I figured WTH, right. So I log in at 15:20 and my toon is... NAKED!!! I am like OH F***!!!!

So Long Story short is my account has been hacked but in the weirdest way.

450Plat is now 3silver
    All matts are gone but the left catalytic dust, and Major catalysts?
    All items of armour are transferred form my bank and stacked in my inventory in some weird order, helms with helms etc.
    All Soulbound expert DG Drops gone - including manslaughters right arm, twyls facade, the bell, the shield trinket from Stormbreaker protocol, and the sword from manstaughter at part of the Juggernaut set. Otherwise ALL expert dg gear, world gear and pvp gear still there.
    All focusses gone, one of them fully upgraded with legendary torvans and lycini, except the pvp Focus.
    And this is all I have been able to notice.... (*takes big swig of Whiskey here*)

I have opened a ticket at Trion to please restore it the way it was or never see me again =( and the reason I am posting here is not to find out why or how this happened, so please avoid the brilliant theories on who got my Password whadda whadda, cause no matter what coinlocked is coinlocked. All I am interested in, cause with my experience thsi Looks like a programmed hack and not a Personal one...

What I want to know is: Has this happened to anyone else??

Sounds like your email has been compromised and you used the same password for both the email and the game, or you have a keylogger on your system.

Any chance someone you know has access to your email and the account password or have you kept that info 100% confidential?

I'm going with same password for email and game. If your email has been compromised they can pretty much do anything they want. As said before, there's a possible key logger on your computer.

1) Rebuild your computer. Lay it down clean from the OS install disk.
    2) Change your email account password. Do this from your phone if you want to do it faster than step 1.
    3) Change the game password. Make it different from your new email password. Make sure you do this after step one or from a computer that is not suspected of being compromised.
    4) Get the rift mobile authenticator. Really there's not many excuses not to have one if you have a smart phone. It is free and it is effective at preventing your account from getting hacked.
    5) Pray that the cash shop wasn't used to gift out to other people. See if you can get an account of credit and cash spends.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Meraque View Post
    450Plat is now 3silver
    All matts are gone but the left catalytic dust, and Major catalysts?
    All items of armour are transferred form my bank and stacked in my inventory in some weird order, helms with helms etc.
    All Soulbound expert DG Drops gone - including manslaughters right arm, twyls facade, the bell, the shield trinket from Stormbreaker protocol, and the sword from manstaughter at part of the Juggernaut set. Otherwise ALL expert dg gear, world gear and pvp gear still there.
    All focusses gone, one of them fully upgraded with legendary torvans and lycini, except the pvp Focus.
    And this is all I have been able to notice.... (*takes big swig of Whiskey here*)
    You have a feature on your inventory which you can use to sort items, so nothing weird there. The items you are missing can actually be sold for plat, gear you bought from NPC cannot be sold for plat, so that makes sense too.

All a hacker usually wants is your plat, so everything that can be sold, will be sold to the NPC and mailed to another account. Having 3 silver left is probably laziness on hackers side. You can't mail all the money, you have to leave some to pay the mailing fee.

Nothing special here, you've just been hacked. You might wanna get in touch with Livechat, it'll probably speed things up a bit. Make sure you use the Rift authenticator, that should make it quite a bit harder, if not impossible, to get hacked in the future.

Telaran

Guys, TNX for all the advice....

And I mean this in the nicest possible way... but FSS I said I do not Need to know what happened, I worked in IT. And even If I personally handed the Password to the guy he would still be coinlocked, unless he happened to telepathically IP spoof my Addy after I logged, which resets like every 4 hours due to my lame ISP crashing.

But ok, lets say he has Access to my email AND unlocks the coin himself? Why leave the catalytic dust there, Why not use my credits to buy cool stuff from the In-Game Shop and send it to a dummy account and then auction it off on the AH or whatever. Why "destroy" (as this is all he can do with soulbound items) only certain items. And take the time to stack everything neatly and perfectly in my inventory, and not only that, he managed to end up EXACTLY in the same spot where I was when I logged yesterday.

I am willing to bet various tender parts of my anatomy on the fact that this isn't some dusch who logged in on my passwd.

However if he has some Programm running in the Background that simulates a Login to my account and then performs a load of pre-programmed Transactions.... now that makes sense, and would also explain the why certain things just seem to have been mysteriously targeted. Though HTF does that slip through Trion Security.

Anyway, that, my beloved friends is a mystery for Trion to solve, not us. So please, again I ask you, NO THEORIES ON HOW THIS HAPPENED!!!

All I want to know is if someone else logged in today and went "OMG WTF HAPPENED TO ALL MY STUFF?!??!?!

Cause if this is not an isolated incident, then Trion has a security Problem, and if it is... well then someone figured a way to circumvent the coin lock - which is also a Problem. Whether they had my Password or not.

Anyway, that, my beloved friends is a mystery for Trion to solve, not us. So please, again I ask you, NO THEORIES ON HOW THIS HAPPENED!!!

All I want to know is if someone else logged in today and went "OMG WTF HAPPENED TO ALL MY STUFF?!??!?!

Cause if this is not an isolated incident, then Trion has a security Problem, and if it is... well then someone figured a way to circumvent the coin lock - which is also a Problem. Whether they had my Password or not.
    Well, if you don't want discussion on this matter and only Trion to act upon the issue, you could have just opened a ticket and left it be.

Posting a thread will draw attention and you will get theories. This isn't facebook where you can pseudo-lead the comments to your posts, it's a public forum.

Telaran

PS. Please forgive me if I seem a Little abrupt, but remember I have just lost 6 months of 8hr a day playing and about 100 spent in game... so I am a Little cranky.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Rounded View Post
    Well, if you don't want discussion on this matter and only Trion to act upon the issue, you could have just opened a ticket and left it be.

Posting a thread will draw attention and you will get theories. This isn't facebook where you can pseudo-lead the comments to your posts, it's a public forum.
    See my PS ;)

PS. Please forgive me if I seem a Little abrupt, but remember I have just lost 6 months of 8hr a day playing and about 100€ spent in game... so I am a Little cranky.
    It's not ****ty moment when you lose all the contents of the account, but Trion will be able to recover the items back to you.

But you still might want to search for the cause for the loss yourself as they did have access to your email account to turn off coin lock. If you're on gmail, at the web interface on bottom right corner you'll see info on your login details via IP addresses and when it was accessed. This can help to rule out an intrusion on the email itself.
    Last edited by Rounded; 11-09-2013 at 08:51 AM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Rounded View Post
    Sounds like your email has been compromised and you used the same password for both the email and the game, or you have a keylogger on your system.

Any chance someone you know has access to your email and the account password or have you kept that info 100% confidential?
    I would disagree... The site he bought it from probably logged back in to get some plat to sell to people. Or an in game friend/RL friend knows is username/pass or they share accounts etc. and was just screwing with him or really just a selfish bastard.

Moral of the story, don't share your account with friends/always change your password after buying an account or powerleveling.
    \

People who hack don't usually auction things because they don't know how long they'll have on the account. They usually go in, vendor all the gear, mail the plat, and move on to the next account.

EDIT: Oh, and I have been hacked before, a few months after Rift's launch. I got all my items restored same day I sent in the ticket. If you have a smart phone I recommend getting the free authenticator. On Android you can set up a widget so you only need to go to your main page, and don't need to open a program. It's a 6 number code that resets every 30 sec.
    Last edited by xanduin246; 11-09-2013 at 09:23 AM.

Champion

The thing is, the coinlock was never deactivated, so the invader could not sell things. The email account wasn't corrupted, just the email with the code for deactivating coin lock cought Meraques attention. He stepped in the game, stood at the same place where he logged out, and got no coin lock. IF the invader would have had the coin lock deactivated, Meraque would have get a coin lock by himslef, because of change of access.

So it is weird... and that was the only reason to post it here... because all the normally occuring problems after a corruption to an accout (i.e. no access to the account, coin lock again or similar) didn't occur.

And with a coin lock he couldn't sell anything. All the gone stuff were soulbound... things which could have been sold (if coin lock woul have been deactivated) are not gone. THAT is the weird thing.

EDIT: Meraque is a leader of an allied guild to Entity, so we have contact, but don't share account... to be clear!
    Last edited by Mausea; 11-09-2013 at 09:25 AM.
    Melandra @ Entity @ Zaviel
    A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
    - Lady Windermere's Fan [Oscar Wilde] -

Quote Originally Posted by Mausea View Post
    The thing is, the coinlock was never deactivated, so the invader could not sell things. The email account wasn't corrupted, just the email with the code for deactivating coin lock cought Meraques attention. He stepped in the game, stood at the same place where he logged out, and got no coin lock. IF the invader would have had the coin lock deactivated, Meraque would have get a coin lock by himslef, because of change of access.

So it is weird... and that was the only reason to post it here... because all the normally occuring problems after a corruption to an accout (i.e. no access to the account, coin lock again or similar) didn't occur.

And with a coin lock he couldn't sell anything. All the gone stuff were soulbound... things which could have been sold (if coin lock woul have been deactivated) are not gone. THAT is the weird thing.

EDIT: Meraque is a leader of an allied guild to Entity, so we have contact, but don't share account... to be clear!
    Well his plat is gone, so the person had to have gotten past coin lock. You can't buy, sell, mail, anything like that while under coin lock.

I just installed the Riftmeter addon and a few hours later started getting coin locked as well.. maybe just a coincidence, but I'm going to change my passwords now and delete the addon.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by xanduin246 View Post
    Well his plat is gone, so the person had to have gotten past coin lock. You can't buy, sell, mail, anything like that while under coin lock.
    Check the gbank/personal bank

EDIT: Who has only 450 plat? My alts are all stocked w/ 1k
    Last edited by Reticularize; 11-09-2013 at 09:35 AM.
    \

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast