+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree15Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: All shards locked.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by FyrrePower View Post
    I don't mean PTS when talking about it above. They have their own internal server as well. The point I was trying to make is the downtime itself. If downtime is going to take most or rest of the day as Daglar is giving the impression, then a reversal of the patch to bring them up sooner would be a better idea. They can test the "corruption" on their internal alpha server or on PTS and roll out 2.5 next week.
    that would have to mean that it didn't happen in the move from PTS to main servers,

you need to also look at it as the PTS isnt all being moved and some times codes get crossed or a wrong file slips in or gets missed

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    actually a bluescreen or kernel panic often is not preceded by a complimentary warning message.
    I don't get bluescreens. Most of the time when my comp fails is an overheat. I have curbed quite a bit of that in the past, it does the same behavior every time: Have the fan go erratic, be scalding hot, and freeze up my game twice. That happens, I'm logging off.

I did get bluescreens when my comp overheated and I didn't wait for it to cool off any before starting up again. But since I know how to curb it, it doesn't happen.
    <The Malicious Hunt> @ Laethys
    Keval Lv 60 Galloway Lv 60 Niqo Lv 60 Demaicus Lv 53 Zepp Lv 60 Noktrnl Lv 60
    <Sovereign Quorum> @ Wolfsbane
    Darbrios Lv 60 Timosius Lv 14 Daidalos Lv 30 Alessandre Lv 16 Noktrnl Lv 60 Sionis Lv 21 Nikolaas Lv 9

Yup they said it will be up NO SOONER that 3pm pst...I however leave at 4. So much for MY play time today, pity I just made a new toon that I was excited to get to. Oh well maybe tomorrow I'll have better luck. At least they are on top of their bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Noktrnl Owl View Post
    It could have been even a 30 second notice...there are server wide announcement messages. You know something like:

Warning: We need to take the shards down due to an issue with characters. Go to the forums for more information.

Quick, painless, and not making everyone rage.
    Based on my real world experience, if a database is corrupting real time (as seems to be the case here) you don't allow more damage to be done by taking several minutes to compose a note, log into whatever systems are needed and broadcast a message that people may or may not see.

You immediately follow your procedures for protecting the database. If that means giving no notice then so be it.

People will be pissed that you gave no notice. People will be pissed that you took the time to give notice and their data was corrupted as a result of the delay. People will rage no matter what.

It is what it is.

Elldarian - Elusive Assassins - Wolfsbane

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"

Quote Originally Posted by ipeacefrog View Post

Based on my real world experience, if a database is corrupting real time (as seems to be the case here) you don't allow more damage to be done by taking several minutes to compose a note, log into whatever systems are needed and broadcast a message that people may or may not see.

You immediately follow your procedures for protecting the database. If that means giving no notice then so be it.

People will be pissed that you gave no notice. People will be pissed that you took the time to give notice and their data was corrupted as a result of the delay. People will rage no matter what.

It is what it is.

This is accurate. When there is a database error you commonly will report the database error and cease all further activity.

The fact is we don't know the nature of the error and we don't need to. Trion is doing their job, you will forget this ever happened by tomorrow.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 11-06-2013 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ipeacefrog View Post

It is what it is.

Based on the forum posts -- how many reports came in that characters were locked before they all were pulled down?

11:00 AM PST
    As we saw an increasing number of reports of players getting locked characters as they attempt to log in, we've locked all NA shards as we investigate this issue.

As soon as report 1 came in - should have been a red flag and warning flashed in game. plain and simple. How many minutes passed between report 1 and them pulling it down?
    <The Malicious Hunt> @ Laethys
    Keval Lv 60 Galloway Lv 60 Niqo Lv 60 Demaicus Lv 53 Zepp Lv 60 Noktrnl Lv 60
    <Sovereign Quorum> @ Wolfsbane
    Darbrios Lv 60 Timosius Lv 14 Daidalos Lv 30 Alessandre Lv 16 Noktrnl Lv 60 Sionis Lv 21 Nikolaas Lv 9

In the IT world one doesn't raise the red flag when 1 error happens. If we did, the red flag would always be flying.

Elldarian - Elusive Assassins - Wolfsbane

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    We've unfortunately identified an issue that never reared its head on PTS with hundreds of players beating on it over the last month or in any of our internal testing. The issue is severe enough that unlocking the servers can result in terrible damage to characters.

We are locking all servers until we can resolve the issue. This may be an unfortunately long downtime today.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

~Daglar
    Need more people trying to break the PTS. Maybe some "incentives" like titles or mounts or pets for XYZ # of bug reports, or time played, etc.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    We've unfortunately identified an issue that never reared its head on PTS with hundreds of players beating on it over the last month or in any of our internal testing. The issue is severe enough that unlocking the servers can result in terrible damage to characters.

We are locking all servers until we can resolve the issue. This may be an unfortunately long downtime today.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

~Daglar
    I would be way way way more upset about terrible damage to my character than I am about a little or a long downtime
    just have the servers back up by raid time K
    Quote Originally Posted by Frailaq View Post

tl;dr - Trion should do this: Melee = Turret Ranged > Mobile Ranged

Rift Disciple

i just logged in about 20 minutes ago and i saw all shards locked. though faeblight still said i had 3 chars so thats all good. people shouldnt always be in a rush. keep your options open as nothing is ever going to be 100% perfect all the time. im just glad that trion is on top of everything. i know so many companies who arent xD
    its all good too me. im on extended sick leave. technically im being paid for this downtime

a new server update has been posted:

http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...te-thread.html

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3