+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree333Likes

Thread: It Needs to be Said Again

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Techie Will View Post
    Seems like you ignored my lengthy posts on Page 1 and 3.

As far as that "contribution to this thread" it was a joke of sorts, but 4th and 5th bosses are easily melee friendly on Unhallowed Boneforge.

On boss four just kite around in a circle with the tank, as long as you're always to the outside you're going to have a hundred percent up time on the boss. If you fail at strafing, you can always kill the wisps so no one else has to sub 50%.

Boss five the melee range is extended out from the boss by about 15-20 meters. You can easily stand in melee and dodge the green pools as they shoot out from the boneforge itself.
    That is absolutely pathetic. We are referring to friendly. No where no how does anyone say you can't do it. what's easy for you (at least in your little mind) is next to impossible for noobs. By the way, you remember noobs, the people this post is about. Please never ever read my stuff again cause I certainly won't read yours. People with an "I must be right, even when I have no idea of what I'm doing" like yourself need to get over yourself. Jeebus dude. Ratchet it down "it simple to strafe ... " what a maroon

Quote Originally Posted by Currly View Post
    scribblings from a child
    Tell me your in-game name so I can add you to my ignore list.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerine View Post
    Tell me your in-game name so I can add you to my ignore list.
    It's probably "Nyuk- Nyuk"

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Telaran

I think, first you have to understand, YOU have entered a public group, and by doing so, you will group with members of the 'public' of all abilities. Randoms are just that... Random. The public are not there for you to moan at, bully or be rude to. Don't expect the same level of skill, experience, or equipment as you have yourself for these 'random' groups. THAT is what your guild is for.

Perhaps, people need to refresh themselves on the definition of the word 'random':

informal odd, unusual, or unexpected (Oxford Dictionary)

strange or unusual (Cambridge Dictionary)

You don't want to continue with your 'random' group, its simple, you are able to leave at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by Roseblossom View Post
    I think, first you have to understand, YOU have entered a public group, and by doing so, you will group with members of the 'public' of all abilities. Randoms are just that... Random. The public are not there for you to moan at, bully or be rude to. Don't expect the same level of skill, experience, or equipment as you have yourself for these 'random' groups. THAT is what your guild is for.

Perhaps, people need to refresh themselves on the definition of the word 'random':

informal odd, unusual, or unexpected (Oxford Dictionary)

strange or unusual (Cambridge Dictionary)

You don't want to continue with your 'random' group, its simple, you are able to leave at any time.

Exactly, when you look at it that way, it's kinda like running into a public random, saying everyone else who makes mistakes or doesn't know needs to join a guild and learn, while complaining about carrying them. I'm sorry, who was it that needed to be in a guild again? xD

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Cocoawolf View Post
    Exactly, when you look at it that way, it's kinda like running into a public random, saying everyone else who makes mistakes or doesn't know needs to join a guild and learn, while complaining about carrying them. I'm sorry, who was it that needed to be in a guild again? xD
    If the OP were to attend a professional meeting where he needed to collaborate with 4 peers to achieve a common objective and immediately started whining that they were all crap at their jobs (especially whilst not understanding what those jobs actually are, given his fallacious comment that support must support heal) and wasting his time, we all know his career would stop dead in its tracks and he'd soon after be receiving his first welfare\benefit check.

If he attended a social function and started telling the attendees their clothing was unsuitable and the food and wine was not up to his standards, he'd be asked to leave on account of being a dysfunctional social misfit.

It is very telling that from the safety of his computer he feels free to act in such a way, however.
    Last edited by Squicker; 10-31-2013 at 12:22 AM.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by superhbman View Post
    Currly is basically asking for people to not take expert dungeons lightly, so I don't understand why people are being so defensive. Sure you can disagree with how he voices his message, but I think his core message is at least worth considering.
    I agree, especially on the how he is totally undermining his point due to his tone. His tone makes him sound like an elitist jerk, but what he is actually for is actually not out of line at all. It's some things that can be easily achieved by a majority of players that will make their run a lot smoother, for themselves and for others:

1. Have enough DPS (DPS) / HPS (healer) / HP (tank)
    2. Carry a ranged build
    3. Speak up beforehand if you do not know fights

For 2. even though all fights are possible to fight in melee, personal experience tells me that not everyone can do it. You need to be very familiar with mechanics and the tank must also to be good at movement, i.e. moving as little as possible, not forcing melee to go into AoE, don't turn around and get melee DPS cleaved.

Quote Originally Posted by Squicker View Post
    If the OP were to attend a professional meeting where he needed to collaborate with 4 peers to achieve a common objective and immediately started whining that they were all crap at their jobs (especially whilst not understanding what those jobs actually are, given his fallacious comment that support must support heal) and wasting his time, we all know his career would stop dead in its tracks and he'd soon after be receiving his first welfare\benefit check.

If he attended a social function and started telling the attendees their clothing was unsuitable and the food and wine was not up to his standards, he'd be asked to leave on account of being a dysfunctional social misfit.

It is very telling that from the safety of his computer he feels free to act in such a way, however.

That is very true, and sad in a way really

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Scyd View Post
    3. Speak up beforehand if you do not know fights
    What he actually says is, "The public is not there to teach you."

i.e., there would be no point in speaking up if you did not know a fight as the OP would merely give you short shrift.

Ergo I think you are being rather generous with your interpretation of his intent because the OP's words conflict with your statement here.

Plane Walker

his fallacious comment that support must support heal
    You are twisting his words actually. He said that Support should be ready to go support heal when asked for, and that is what many other players believe too: Support plays the role that helps the team the most. Most of the time it's DPS because support heals are unnecessary, but if the healer is having problems, many would expect Support to go into a heal support role.

Rift Chaser

You are twisting his words actually. He said that Support should be ready to go support heal when asked for, and that is what many other players believe too: Support plays the role that helps the team the most. Most of the time it's DPS because support heals are unnecessary, but if the healer is having problems, many would expect Support to go into a heal support role.
    But the support souls are not necessarily healing souls, Archon for example. Now, some players may like it that someone who chooses a support soul also adds a heal soul to their build but the game does not require that for its definition of support.

And that is where we get into a subjective interpretation. The OP might very well like it that a person choose a heal soul as well as a support soul but that's not mandated, and he therefore cannot start getting heavy-handed if support players do not pack such a soul. It's down to the player to play their support role how they choose and the OP's subjective interpretation of how that ought to be, is no more right than their's.
    Last edited by Squicker; 10-31-2013 at 12:43 AM.

Plane Touched

Oh please, what a load of dog poo.
    So your guild should be the one trying to improve players..
    Why can't people learn themselfs, imo the only way to learn and improve. Nothing wrong with new people, quite frank, I have more fun with new tanks then with someone who has done it a 100 times and just runs through. At least there is some challange and most people are polite and i'm happy to give them some pointers to get them going on particulair fights.
    If you are having problems, you are the one who should stick to guildruns !

Plane Walker

But the support souls are not necessarily healing souls, Archon for example. Now, some players may like it that someone who chooses a support soul also adds a heal soul to their build but the game does not require that for its definition of support.

And that is where we get into a subjective interpretation. The OP might very well like it that a person choose a heal soul as well as a support soul but that's not mandated, and he therefore cannot start getting heavy-handed if support players do not pack such a soul. It's down to the player to play their support role how they choose and the OP's subjective interpretation of how that ought to be, is no more right than their's.
    I understand that, and I won't blame if the support doesn't actually come with a heal support role. In fact sometimes when I queue on my rogue and my team needs support heals, I would instead count on mages / clerics in the team to switch, because the marginal healing I put out does not make up for the DPS drop. However, if it's a cleric tank, I could happily tank over the tanking role instead and he can switch to healing. That was my main point, it's useful for players to be versatile in the roles that they play.

As for OP's stance, I agree that it would be unfair if he were to kick a mage for having only Archon as support role.

What he actually says is, "The public is not there to teach you."

i.e., there would be no point in speaking up if you did not know a fight as the OP would merely give you short shrift.
    Quote Originally Posted by Currly View Post
    Show some respect for the people spending their time in randoms too. If you are unclear or unsure of something say so before you wipe the group. I am far more likely to help someone who asks for it, then someone who flat expects it.
    Thank you for misrepresenting Currly.

In the LFG window, mouseing over the question mark at the corner of the Support roles states and I quote, "Aid your allies by supporting them in combat through buffs, damage, and healing as required".

Although in practice, it depends on the group composition.
    Shinryujin | Tsuyuko | Chieri | Kimiyomi

Rift Chaser

That was my main point, it's useful for players to be versatile in the roles that they play.
    And I think you are absolutely right, one of the great things about Rift is the versatility of the soul system, and it certainly pays off for the individual player and the whole team if players are versatile with their builds.

But I think that's a learning process, for me it was. Despite being a huge gamer and having a strong grasp of RPG roles as a whole, the potential depth of the Rift soul system was for a long time an untapped reserve for me, despite reading up on it and studying various builds on the 'Net. There are so many permutations.

Now for example, whilst I'd prefer to play Archon support I do have a Chloro mage build as well, and I ask when I enter a PUG, do they want true Archon support or some extra heals (most people by far prefer Archon support from me because of the extra DPS), and I switch if needed. But it took a few goes before I realised that what I - and indeed the game - deemed support (Archon soul) was often at odds with what PUGs were expecting of me. I don't personally see that as an issue, because we're initially going to take the game's mechanical rules as the way to operate, right? But the OP is implying that we should all be psychic and predict that a number of PUGs would prefer support heals.

And that's chicken and egg. Without turning up to a few PUGs you would not know that, and yet the OP is saying that PUGs are not the place to learn. I'd dispute that entirely, I'd say they are absolutely the place to learn. I've been playing since beta but I can still learn things in a PUG. I actually didn't know, for example, until one PUGger said to another, "you know you can put lesser essences in a greater slot". I have always been maxed out with greaters and lessers on my main chars but I rolled a new char the other day and that was very useful for me to know as I was levelling that char.

But I digress a little...It's an MMO, by definition massively multiplayer. The fun of massively multiplayer is surely that there are masses of real people with all their idiosyncracies to play with, rather than predictable computer AI NPCs? - , but the OP sounds like he wants a single player game.
    Last edited by Squicker; 10-31-2013 at 01:10 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast