Closed Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree136Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Inactive character name resets incoming!

1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #1
    Director of Global Communications dahanese's Avatar

Default Inactive character name resets incoming!

Hey guys,

We've been listening to a lot of your feedback these past couple days and I have some updates for you.

On Wednesday, October 23rd we are going to be resetting inactive character names to free them up for players headed onto new shards.

If one of your characters is going to be impacted by this change, you'll be getting an email from us in the next day or two with instructions. If you are one of these inactive characters and want to keep your name, you'll just need to log in with that character before October 23rd.

I also want to let you guys know that everyone who is transferring off a shard that is part of next week's unification will be receiving a title denoting where they previously hailed from.

And as a final note: I want to personally thank everyone who has talked with me over the past couple days. I've had some great conversations and your words have been invaluable to both me and the entire team.
    elizabeth "dahanese" tobey
    director of global communications
    Twitter: @dahanese | @TrionWorlds | @RIFTgame | @TroveGame | @DefianceGame | @ArcheAgeGame | @EndofNations
    Facebook: RIFT | Trove | Defiance | ArcheAge | End of Nations |Trion Worlds

Soulwalker

Only NA or EU too?

Not the worst idea, but most certainly not the best.

Because as is often told to players affected by an incoming name change: "You should have reserved it by creating a character on every server."

Now, should you be affected, and your name was "reserved" by someone, Trion is actually warning that person that he/she better log in, to keep the name reserved. Leaving the person who would lose the name to a mule, still losing his/her name to a mule.

I would have found the idea reasonable, if they would have kept it quiet. Although, even then, after all the merges they had before, and the time to solve this problem: too little, too late.

Screw the title and better start working on arranging I can get the remainder of my patron subscription refunded. Account management say they cannot refund partially (which I read: we hide behind rules and policies and screw you). How about you going to tell them that your dev team apparently can't, or was not allowed to, solve a name problem in a couple of years and that therefore a refund sounds fair?

Shadowlander

While I appreciate the effort the dev team made on this, it seems...inadequate. Is it unreasonable to not only check for inactives, but to ALSO give preference to those who had the names FIRST? I have used the same names in almost every MMO I have played, including Rift, which I started playing one week after launch. I will be losing at least two names,and I still cannot reclaim my cleric's original name that I had to change after being forced off a server when it converted to a trial server.

Also, I have never been a fan of "reserve your names on every server ever" tactics...I shouldn't have to put in that much time to solve a problem that I didn't create. And before anyone says there aren't that many servers, there were A LOT of them at launch! I wanted to play, not spend my time making placeholders on 40 or 50 some odd servers.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Lyzetta View Post
    Screw the title and better start working on arranging I can get the remainder of my patron subscription refunded. Account management say they cannot refund partially (which I read: we hide behind rules and policies and screw you). How about you going to tell them that your dev team apparently can't, or was not allowed to, solve a name problem in a couple of years and that therefore a refund sounds fair?
    This!

Trion made no attempt to learn from the 2011 experience and avoid it happening again, they chose not to, preferring instead to give the big middle finger again in 2012 and now in 2013.

Plane Walker

You all need to give them a break. Believe me, I'm all for criticism when it's due; however, there is really no easy/right way to handle this situation where everyone would be happy.

Regardless of what Trion tries to do, there will always be a situation where someone who deserves preference won't get it. But, at least they're making an attempt to alleviate some concerns.

I feel that this method is a good idea. They're warning people via email.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by dahanese View Post
    We've been listening to a lot of your feedback these past couple days and I have some updates for you.

On Wednesday, October 23rd we are going to be resetting inactive character names to free them up for players headed onto new shards.
    So you listened .. and came up with this lame excuse for a positive action.

Really?

You chose not to learn from 2011, chose not to learn learn from 2012 and are perfectly happy for a third time (or 4th if you include the destruction of Icewatch in June) to give the middle finger to your players again.

THERE IS NO RUSH TO DO THIS MERGER, you have the time to get it right, but you CHOOSE not to, you're perfectly happy to inflict this a 3rd/4th time.

And you expect us to believe your PR-fluff about 'caring'. Please, at least don't treat us as idiots even if you do treat us with contempt.
    Last edited by Kerin; 10-17-2013 at 11:59 PM.

There is a chance a small chance I get to keep my names..it's better than nothing and I'm grateful for that chance.

Thank you Trion for hearing and listening to us

Sword of Telara

Well I just went around making new chars on all servers with some popular names.
    No, I wont ever be using them but so what they're now classed as 'active'

Thank goodness I have all these free accounts to do this with, would have cost a fortune otherwise.
    User received an infraction for this post

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Sindala View Post
    Well I just went around making new chars on all servers with some popular names.
    Classless. Now you're taking out your frustrations on the player base instead of your normal bashing on Trion. Grow up and get a life.

Quote Originally Posted by Sindala View Post

Thank goodness I have all these free accounts to do this with, would have cost a fortune otherwise.
    We really need a "dislike" button here.
    Shiahan of The Platinum Order, Faeblight

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by AlissaAk View Post
    Classless. Now you're taking out your frustrations on the player base instead of your normal bashing on Trion. Grow up and get a life.
    It's childhish behaviour, yes. But if Trion had done their homework before, there would have been no need for QQing and no room for trolling in the first place. It's not the first time they are doing forced server merges... why does it feel like they did not learn a single thing from the trouble they already had in the past, and be better prepared now?

Or is really anybody surprised by the fact that people (especially the RP'ers) don't want to loose their name when they are forced to another server?

Ascendant

Slight problem here. If we take Argent players who move to Zaviel as a example. Since Zaviel is only a few months old you can't really have any inactive characters really unless you make the cut off weeks and I highly doubt that would happen.

How inactive does an account need to be before a name wipe?
    A month/year level one accounts only?
    Just I have my char name saved on another shard incase an not active since storm legion will I need to log it in an lvl it as it's just lvl one.

Can we have some more clarification on how inactive an account would have to be.

Rift Disciple

Warning inactive players to log in for free for one day so they can continue hogging a name they have no intention of using.

Still not transferring Seastone to Necropolis.

Ok.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast