Closed Thread
Page 51 of 63 FirstFirst ... 41 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 61 ... LastLast
Like Tree2025Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Shard unification next week and upcoming internationalization plans!

Shadowlander

Why do you need a separate shard to roleplay? Back in the early days of MMOs (MUDs) most games only had a special roleplay chat channel, or some had an ability to add a special [RP] tag in front of your name and that worked just fine.

Just ask the devs for a special channel and that tag (or some special title) and you have everything you need.
    Right now there just arent enough roleplayers to justify a separate server. I play on Argent myself, and the majority of people i encounter arent roleplaying.
    Last edited by desina7200; 10-20-2013 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulPlay View Post
    That is your issue if you dont play again, Trion aint sitting at the computer waiting for you to log in again after a year cause they missed you.
    They have no reason to delete anyone's characters. No where in my post did I say they would be waiting for anything, in fact its pretty clear you didn't bother to read what I wrote or didn't comprehend it. Unless of course you think its fine to delete characters for no reason, especially those of people in the service who are deployed and couldn't get a clear net to write a email let alone play the game for extended periods of time.

You still haven't given a single reason of why they should delete anyone's characters. Renaming is one thing and should be expected if you haven't played in a very long time. Deleting is stupid, unnecessary, and serves no purpose but to let the person know you don't want their money ever again.
    Last edited by Xillean; 10-20-2013 at 04:09 PM.
    Myrmidon Xillean Tormeng, Lord of War
    Dimensions: Planar Study Spec: 61/10/5
    PA: 900 | Score: 11120 | Tradeskills: All Grandmastered
    4/4 GP | 4/4 DH | 5/5 GSB | 5/5 RoS Conqueror | 11/11 HK | 2/4 RotP | 1/8 ID
    Characters: Xillean R90, Phantasmal R72, Eylisa R68, Kattie R74

Champion of Telara Elric-merren's Avatar

There is more to a shard being a rp shard than merely a channel that is used for rping or a tag. Normally people that go too a rp shard do so for an experience that is hampered on other shard types. Overall it is the same reason why you have pve or pvp specific shards, they cater towards a specific (or at least they should) play-style thru different rule-sets, and activities, while also serving to draw like-minded players to areas that make finding people of a similar interest easier. It is like players that chose to play on a pve shard over a pvp shard, they prefer that style of play to the other, and want to play on a shard with rule-sets that are built towards their chosen play-style.

Why have a pve or pvp specific shards if rper can't have a rp shard?

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Elric-merren View Post

Why have a pve or pvp specific shards if rper can't have a rp shard?
    I think it may be because there are different rules between PVE and PVP servers whereas if I understand correctly, an RP server is a PVE server geared towards RPers.

I think RP is great and did a little in WoW; haven't in Rift yet because I've just started and I am in a PVP server(was in RP-PVP in WoW).

What would be bad about having RP tags in front of names on a PVE server? I think someone said the RP community gets a lot of crap or something? I seriously don't know. If that's the case as to why people don't want RP name tags then I understand why someone wouldn't want it but is there any way around that? Some way of keeping people from doing that in the servers by having penalties?

What about having a PVE RP encouraged server where people can PVE like normal but RP is definitely encouraged?
    Last edited by Ightham; 10-20-2013 at 05:35 PM.

Champion of Telara Elric-merren's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ightham View Post
    I think it may be because there are different rules between PVE and PVP servers whereas if I understand correctly, an RP server is a PVE server geared towards RPers.

I think RP is great and did a little in WoW; haven't in Rift yet because I've just started and I am in a PVP server(was in RP-PVP in WoW).

What would be bad about having RP tags in front of names on a PVE server? I think someone said the RP community gets a lot of crap or something? I seriously don't know. If that's the case as to why people don't want RP name tags then I understand why someone wouldn't want it but is there any way around that? Some way of keeping people from doing that in the servers by having penalties?

What about having a PVE RP encouraged server where people can PVE like normal but RP is definitely encouraged?
    A rp server/shard actually have rules in place beyond pve/pvp servers (such as rp-naming rules for an example), whether they are enforced is a different matter based on the playerbase of the server as well as the gms, just as a pvp or pve server have different rule-sets comparatively that allow the server/shard to further improve the playstyle of the players on that shard. Really the only difference between server types are the mechanics an rule-sets that are altered or added onto, which are used to further improve/promote a style of play on that server as well as draw like-minded player to that/those servers.

On most rp shards/servers you do not have to take part in rping to be on the shard, but merely are expected to fallow the rules of the shard/server to enable players on he sever to enjoy their play-style in peace. Just like all styles of play you will have those elitist types that want players to always be in-character an rping regardless of being in a world chat /say or /party, but many just want to be allowed to engage in a style of play on a server/shard built/designed via rules or even mechanics that are geared/catered towards their prefered style of play.

Rift had rp-pvp servers/shards at once point, which were sunk by some pvpers that choose to move to those servers an grief/harass the rpers on the server till those players left, which caused/helped those servers to be shut down.

Yes there is a huge issue with rp tags which is as fallows, please excuse my example yet it is worth using here as a point of reference. Imagine placing a tag on yourself in public that says you are gay, a witch/pagan in your beliefs, for or against the death penalty or abortion, and so on. These would yes draw people seeking to find like-minded people to you, while also making you a target for people that are extremists or just someone looking to troll/harass you for fun.

TO me a shard/server dedicated to rping rule-sets, and the play-style, which would also have not merely gms that could deal with problems, but also a server-based group of players that would work as a form of player council to look into things on the behalf of the gms if they are over worked. Than upon the council rendering a verdict of the events in question, the gm would hand down a punishment based on both the rules of the server as well as based on council's advice or history of the offender. One of the issues i have seen is that gms on rp shards/servers either are swamped by other issues, or are lenient on enforcing the rules of the shard (this should never happen pve, pvp, or rp rule-wise.). It would be like having the rules or mechanics on a pve or pvp shard/server either rarely or never enforced by a gm or the company, which would never fly on most shards without a huge up-roar by the player-base of that shard/server, since it would harm the play-style an reason for that shard/server to exist.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Xillean View Post
    They have no reason to delete anyone's characters. No where in my post did I say they would be waiting for anything, in fact its pretty clear you didn't bother to read what I wrote or didn't comprehend it. Unless of course you think its fine to delete characters for no reason, especially those of people in the service who are deployed and couldn't get a clear net to write a email let alone play the game for extended periods of time.

You still haven't given a single reason of why they should delete anyone's characters. Renaming is one thing and should be expected if you haven't played in a very long time. Deleting is stupid, unnecessary, and serves no purpose but to let the person know you don't want their money ever again.
    Not sure how you read my 1st post but it was intended to delete the name to free it up but if a character is inactive for one year it is clearly never getting played so its name can be removed no problem, also people on active duty do 6 month stretches you cant use that to back up your opinion.

Note Trion wasn't far off my idea removing their names.
    Last edited by SoulPlay; 10-20-2013 at 08:04 PM.

Not sure how you read my 1st post but it was intended to delete the name to free it up but if a character is inactive for one year it is clearly never getting played so its name can be removed no problem, also people on active duty do 6 month stretches you cant use that to back up your opinion.

Note Trion wasn't far off my idea removing their names.
    I have many friends come back to game after year or longer departures. I have also had friends who have spent a lot longer away then 6 months over seas. However I think we misunderstood each other, I never said or meant people shouldn't be able to lose their names, in fact I agree after a long enough amount of time it should happen. I am just against anyone having their character out right deleted, being renamed is fine if they haven't played in 6 months to a year or more.

If I misunderstood and you meant just the name being deleted then I apologize, but in my post you quoted before I wasn't talking about the name but the actual toon being deleted. No matter how long I or anyone might be gone I expect to come back to my toons being were I left them level-wise, I also expect to have to change the name and I agree with having to do so.
    Myrmidon Xillean Tormeng, Lord of War
    Dimensions: Planar Study Spec: 61/10/5
    PA: 900 | Score: 11120 | Tradeskills: All Grandmastered
    4/4 GP | 4/4 DH | 5/5 GSB | 5/5 RoS Conqueror | 11/11 HK | 2/4 RotP | 1/8 ID
    Characters: Xillean R90, Phantasmal R72, Eylisa R68, Kattie R74

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by desina7200 View Post
    Why do you need a separate shard to roleplay? Back in the early days of MMOs (MUDs) most games only had a special roleplay chat channel, or some had an ability to add a special [RP] tag in front of your name and that worked just fine.

Just ask the devs for a special channel and that tag (or some special title) and you have everything you need.
    Right now there just arent enough roleplayers to justify a separate server. I play on Argent myself, and the majority of people i encounter arent roleplaying.
    Back in the early days... that's right. Those days are long gone, and at least since WoW (maybe earlier) some people see it as something rewarding to destroy RP-Events, mock players who ./say their words, and so on.
    Today, an RP-Tag on your char, worn in the open, makes you more or less a target dummy. That goes for a lot of RP-Servers in the games I know, and if you do this on a regular server... have your therapist close by.

That's how it is (to me) nowadays. "RP" is more of a protection thing, to protect the possibility of roleplaying. If the tag is neither on the server or char, you will be the target of those who can't feel the love...

And that's why we cry out: if the tag is removed, RP will be removed. You can have your channels, your guilds, your events... they won't survive on regular servers. A lot of people are not familiar with what RP is, and they won't even ask after the laughing and mocking...

Just as someone quite recently said: Oh, and I always thought RP is only about sex.
    That's the situation today.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by desina7200 View Post

I dunno what MUDs you were playing, but back when I played them there was one OOC channel and everything else was IC. Alas, times have changed.
    Lathais@Deepwood - <The Praetorians> - 60 Rogue
    Check out this guide Guide for fresh 60's: The One Level 60 Guide - Updated for 2.5
    Check these out:Gaming/Computer Glasses
    My Multi-Touch Table Project

Rift Disciple

Character deletion is just the worst "service" i have ever heard of in my mmo gaming times.
    I'm an older guy and hence i have some decades of mmos under my belt. Although i have never played ALL the games during those years, i have NEVER heard of a character deletion in any of them.
    I can still log in to the oldest among them and find my characters.

These are characters people PAID FOR to play them. In these times where Trion is totally pushing their F2P agendas over the top, they may have already forgotten or don't care anymore that the game was once subscription based.

The characters you are about to delete are from the people who left their chars in other games and trusted in you when you were NOBODIES on the market, players who with their subs help to build your company when it had zero resume to show. And who helped to make it a great company with one great game, while nowadays due to your ongoing mismanagement within only 2 years both of which isn't anymore. And yet you keep on mismanaging.

You could as well re-name those characters like putting a wildcard to the name and flag them for the player to rename them next log-in. Unless you have as little control over your database as you have your engine, this is absolutely no problem.

But deletion is about as lame as it can get and it marks an alltime low in Trion's history of ever decreasing customer service and desperate "sorry, but we cant do any better" quick shots from the hip.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
    deletion is about as lame as it can get and it marks an alltime low in Trion's history of ever decreasing customer service and desperate "sorry, but we cant do any better" quick shots from the hip.

Show me again where someone from Trion said they're deleting any chars? I seem to have missed that in the past 51 pages, oh right, that was never said by anyone from Trion
    Last edited by Slipmat; 10-21-2013 at 03:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
    Character deletion is just the worst "service" i have ever heard of in my mmo gaming times.
    I'm an older guy and hence i have some decades of mmos under my belt. Although i have never played ALL the games during those years, i have NEVER heard of a character deletion in any of them.
    I can still log in to the oldest among them and find my characters.

These are characters people PAID FOR to play them. In these times where Trion is totally pushing their F2P agendas over the top, they may have already forgotten or don't care anymore that the game was once subscription based.

The characters you are about to delete are from the people who left their chars in other games and trusted in you when you were NOBODIES on the market, players who with their subs help to build your company when it had zero resume to show. And who helped to make it a great company with one great game, while nowadays due to your ongoing mismanagement within only 2 years both of which isn't anymore. And yet you keep on mismanaging.

You could as well re-name those characters like putting a wildcard to the name and flag them for the player to rename them next log-in. Unless you have as little control over your database as you have your engine, this is absolutely no problem.

But deletion is about as lame as it can get and it marks an alltime low in Trion's history of ever decreasing customer service and desperate "sorry, but we cant do any better" quick shots from the hip.
    As Slipmat said, they're not deleting anything.

They're resetting names. When those characters log in, they will be prompted to change their name. No items, gear, etc. will be lost.

Champion

They only inform, that they reset the name, if you don't come online with the char(s) listed in the mail from Trion.
    Melandra @ Entity @ Zaviel
    A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
    - Lady Windermere's Fan [Oscar Wilde] -

"Hey, you know what would bring everyone back? A fresh new beginning! Lets delete their characters!"
    - Said no Trion employee ever.

I've known people who ended up deployed for quite a lot longer than that due to "logistical difficulties" and the like.

But honestly... I don't think I buy your argument at all. I've logged in to an MMO and played a character that I haven't touched in close to a year before. Not very often, but it does happen. So I don't think it's "clearly never getting played". You could make the case that maybe it's unlikely enough to get played that it's a good risk, but that's pretty different.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Closed Thread
Page 51 of 63 FirstFirst ... 41 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 61 ... LastLast