+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Please please please remove mercs

Default Please please please remove mercs

Dear Trion chaps,

Some days, due to work and family commitments, I only get to do 1 or 2 WFs and the feeling you get when you see you have to merc for the Guards is enough to make you install WoW!

Rough summary of Guard PvP strats in 99% of WFs: Run in a straight line, tab target nearest enemy, die, rez, repeat

That's if they aren't 12. If they are then they just target the person who they felt killed them last and run towards them and die rather than in a straight line as above.

People can queue with merc option if they want, but I'd rather queue longer and never suffer the humiliation of playing with Guards again please.

Thanks!
    Love and a hug,

Meds

By turning off the merc system, you would be able to do 0 WF's on a bad day.

Champion of Telara

what I find funny is that you hear from both sides..'ugh, I'm a merc, defiants suck' and the next match you hear 'ugh, I'm a merc, guardians suck'
    If we are all playing on both sides, you are unable to determine which side is good anymore, because you can't tell from warfront to warfront which side has less mercs. You can't go by race, since F2P hit, so it has really become more of a teamwork thing. Normally when its onesided, its because of a premade queuing in against pugs.
    What I will tell you is no matter what bracket of PVP you are in, the results are the same. I see it from my alts through my R66. People just need to work together better, and in a pug, its a bit harder
    Last edited by SmidgePlays; 09-13-2013 at 09:03 AM.
    Smidge
    Wolfsbane

Quote Originally Posted by Mentla View Post
    Dear Trion chaps,

Some days, due to work and family commitments, I only get to do 1 or 2 WFs and the feeling you get when you see you have to merc for the Guards is enough to make you install WoW!

Rough summary of Guard PvP strats in 99% of WFs: Run in a straight line, tab target nearest enemy, die, rez, repeat

That's if they aren't 12. If they are then they just target the person who they felt killed them last and run towards them and die rather than in a straight line as above.

People can queue with merc option if they want, but I'd rather queue longer and never suffer the humiliation of playing with Guards again please.

Thanks!
    Merc has nothing to do with teams winning or losing. If you remove Merc queues you will sit in TB for 45 minutes in between games.
    Anaraia@Deepwood

Default @tao

I completly agree with you Tao, its not the faction that makes you win or lose, its the Team. You either get a good Team or a not so good one...i have been on both sides, i seem to merc often and it does suck when u merc and your side wins, but hey dont blame it on a Faction, its the Team that fails as a hole.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Mentla View Post
    Dear Trion chaps,

Thanks!
    We did an experiment in our guild. 5 of our top pvpers switched to Defiant and guess what? They lose just as much. Its luck of the draw, nothing more.
    Planar Breach Support Open World PVP and PVE!
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

Yep I agree, remove merc. But, at the same time, just remove faction queues in general. Should just be totally random which side you get in. Make it blue vs red. Instead, try to split the classes a bit into each side.
    Last edited by Ailene; 09-13-2013 at 01:34 PM.

I play both Defiant and Guardian. The arguments (whining) in the chat are the same no matter which side that I am currently playing. It's always, "X side wins more". How can that be the case when both sides say the same thing?

To remove all doubt, I do support the "red vs blue" idea posted above. Just mix everyone up, and it will stop the argument that merc is the reason teams lose.
    Serrina
    Rogue Cleric Mage
    Dwarf Bahmi

...they are randomized as to which side you get placed on. Run 50 WFs and tally your placement. I am literally on a 50/50 in solo queue. It has been this way for quite some time now (well over a year). The sides are totally randomized.

The people complaining about it are just pointing blame around arbitrarily. Like the OP, they're just pointing blame at something that doesn't exist. The WFs are literally a randomized Red vs Blue system.

This also goes on to proving my running criticism that under no circumstances will a PvPer ever say the following: "We lost because I played badly." Instead, it's: "Warriors are broken!" "Clerics are broken!" "Mercs are stupid!"

And so on... and so on. If you're losing every match in a randomized format... then that should tell you something.
    Last edited by Laeris; 09-13-2013 at 03:33 PM.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Laeris View Post
    ...The WFs are literally a randomized Red vs Blue system.
    Precisely why I opted out of them completely shortly after the mercenary system was implemented. Trion has always treated PVP as a tacked on segment. To me the complete randomness of WFs has made them seem as if the NFL suddenly just assigned random players to each team every week. That killed whatever meaning WFs held for me.

I understand that the vast majority could care less. Faster queue times trump all else.

To the OP... You are wasting your effort. This topic was argued ad nausium many months ago. It WILL NOT be changed. The Devs are pretty consistent on this topic (and have been for about a year). Make the best of it or don't participate. Those are the two options open to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kharvyn View Post
    Precisely why I opted out of them completely shortly after the mercenary system was implemented. Trion has always treated PVP as a tacked on segment. To me the complete randomness of WFs has made them seem as if the NFL suddenly just assigned random players to each team every week. That killed whatever meaning WFs held for me.

If you want faction based PvP, go to a PvP server where you can have that 24/7 all you want. The only reason you and others keep chirping away about this is because -you- want an easy way to win. That way, you can super-stack teams like back in the day and win 20, 30, 40 black garden matches in a row.

The unspoken deal here is that PvPers who cry about the merc system are just crying about having to put forth effort and perform well in order to win. They could form premade teams and "test their skill" against other premades... but these guys aren't. They're the ones who would superstack teams back in the day and steamroll the other team all night long. Fighting against another premade might make them lose a game.

If you're honestly put off by the "team" concept (and I doubt your sincerity)... then you must be living under a rock because the game's lore dictates that your line of thinking is wrong. There is no global animosity between the sides and even the developers have come out and said that the WF maps are not canon. They're there for entertainment value and nothing more.

If you want competitive faction based PvP... you go open world PvP on a PvP server. But, my guess is people like this won't do that because... this has nothing at all to do with PvP and "side pride." It has more to do with slackers and wanting to lessen the leveling grind via manipulating the team compositions.
    Last edited by Laeris; 09-13-2013 at 05:57 PM.

Rift Disciple

You got to know when to play and which bracket.

Lv-10-39 Bracket Defiants win 2 out of 3 games.
    Lv 40-49.... Absolutely terrible if your a guardian.
    Lv 50-59 Defiants win 2 out of 3 games, unless its Saturday/Sunday morning in which case guardians kick butt!
    Lv 60 is 50/50. If you want to up your chances form a premade group. Otherwise learn to deal with Merc system, or reinstall WOW and wait in ques.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Laeris View Post
    If you want faction based PvP, go to a PvP server where you can have that 24/7 all you want. The only reason you and others keep chirping away about this is because -you- want an easy way to win. That way, you can super-stack teams like back in the day and win 20, 30, 40 black garden matches in a row.

The unspoken deal here is that PvPers who cry about the merc system are just crying about having to put forth effort and perform well in order to win.
    You know what they say about assumptions...

I am not a "pvper". I have spent much of my gaming history on PVP-RP servers. I lament Trions decision to dilute the faction divide. Perhaps if Rift had a larger player base they wouldn't have felt compelled to remove that aspect from the lore. I am a casual PVP participant. I don't always seek it out, but when I do, I want it to have more meaning than "red vs blue". I would have thought that someone as obsessed as you about RP, would understand that PVP is (in other games at least) a legitimate part of that.

I leveled several characters on the PVP-RP shards. I even continued on the regular PVP ones until Trion turned them into the red-headed stepchildren of Telara. Rather than fight against the evolving "lore & ruleset", I embraced it. The game is lessened.....

I find that Defiants have a slight edge in wins but only slight. I prefer the merc system as I can do another wf right away if I tend to be merced and lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Kharvyn View Post
    You know what they say about assumptions...

I am not a "pvper."

That's pretty much all I wanted to hear.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast