+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree134Likes

Thread: IMHO, Rift is still the best game overall

Default IMHO, Rift is still the best game overall

and I mean the BEST. Obviously not perfect, but still.

The only real contender, WoW, has completely dropped the ball. WoW's latest patch, with all its subscription money, is a big ball of grind. And you pay out of your nose to get that big ball of grind. Don't get me started about Timeless Isle.

Guild Wars 2, (barely) decent game, but LOL all the same. Their updates usually update only TEMPORARY content, that's crazy.

Final Fantasy missing in action.

All others... negligible. Always IMHO.

Rift, free to play?

2.3 = giant new zone with tons of content and hundreds of quests
    2.4 = 2 new raids, cool new dungeon, chronicle.

So, ty Trion. I hope you survive, and grow, and keep on doing excellent things.
    Last edited by Goodberry; 09-12-2013 at 05:33 PM.
    Never give a sword to a man who can't dance (Confucius)

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Goodberry View Post
    The only real contender, WoW, has completely dropped the ball. WoW's latest patch, with all its subscription money, is a big ball of grind. And you pay out of your nose to get that big ball of grind. Don't get me started about Timeless Isle.
    Ok, time to break out the fan boy repellent.

Please explain how the ball has been dropped?

As for me there is something about RIFT that keeps me coming back
    Maybe its the Souls combination or
    Maybe its the fast combat, even with gcd it is still faster than any mmos that i've played.

Left RIFT for almost a year to try out GW2 but the combat in GW2 is too slow for me.
    No gcd yes but even instant cast skills there's still delay. And once in combat i'm like in auto snare.
    Wind Resistant turning, not instant turns. In short Clunky combat.
    Seen a couple of post about it in their Forum but nothing changed.
    1 year is more than enough, a waste of time tbh and i decided to come back to RIFT.
    And Hell Yeah! This is the "****" if you know what i mean lol!

I hope RIFT would last for years to come. Just like WoW, Aion, Lotro.
    Hey RIFT live through Swtor and The most Overhyped mmo in history (GW2).
    That shows the quality of an mmo. Bravo RIFT!
    Last edited by Crazio; 09-12-2013 at 06:23 PM.

LOL you must not have done anything with the new patch outside of Timeless Isle, and I'm sincerely sorry that you found it to be too much of a "grind". I'm sure Blizzard could learn a thing or two from Trion as to how to make things feel like LESS of a grind...oh wait lmao

You're right though. A brand new zone, new faction, 14 boss multi-wing raid, and flex-raids...yeah you're right the new WoW patch was absolutely terrible.
    Vanilla Rift (Cleared) - ToDQ 4/4 - FT 4/4 - EE 5/5 - GA 1/4

Final Fantasy missing in action.
    LOLs i dont know where you are getting that info at but ive not logged out since early access launch

Rift has fallen from my memories

i logged into my forums to check my PMs and saw this on recent post

LOL

While a themepark mmo will never be my favorite overall since I have started gaming, for the past two years up until now, Rift is the best there is.

Seen a lot of qq and a lot of entitlement tears on these forums, especially since f2p went live. This is hands down the best mmo out right now despite the hiccups along the way, and the fact that a tiny percentage of the game population comes flying to the forums with their little *****es and gripes doesn't change that.

Don't stop what you're doing Trion, stay the course and the same people that have had your back for the last couple of years will keep playing. Simple as that.

Ghostwheel@Vigil

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by caitie View Post
    Ok, time to break out the fan boy repellent.

Please explain how the ball has been dropped?
    I can't wait to hear this explanation, I don't know how someone can call WoW's new patch a "grind" and praise Rift for "content"
    Quote Originally Posted by Frailaq View Post

tl;dr - Trion should do this: Melee = Turret Ranged > Mobile Ranged

Both games have their own problems. The problem is people will defend those games that they play like their the holy grail of gaming. The fact is:

Both games have grind.
    Both game pump out content at a slow rate.
    Both games have fan boys.

As for final fantasy, its just new and shiny so most people love it for now. When Guild Wars 2 came out, people praised it as the best MMO ever. Then a few months went by and now most people who "loved" it, hate it. Same thing will happen with Final Fantasy. Its the cycle of MMO gaming.

I like Rift due to its Soul System. Although I only play Cleric for the most part, I have 13 roles and wish I had the platinum to buy more. It's great since I only had to level up and gear one character instead of 13. It's one of the major reasons I still prefer Rift to other MMOs.

I just wish it put as much effort into PvP as it does raiding. Not even talking about Arenas, but stuff like new Warfronts, improving Conquest/new Conquest map/etc. That said they are working on PvP dimensions so it will be interesting to see how that turns out (how much customisability/control the dimensioneers can place into the objectives/etc).

Shadowlander

atm i think rift is the best f2p mmo..although the lack of classes kind of hurt it for me, i mean in the end of the day you only have 4 classes to choose from and if you talk pvp your options gets even more limited.

Hi!
    My name is Stahker and I also am a Riftaholic....I think its the Sh-shsh-shshsh-ssshhhhhinies!!!!

*/twitch*

Damn them shinies!
    It's better to be judged by twelve,
    than be carried by six...
    "X" thinks, I AM that "X".
    I THINK. Therefore, I Am.

Here's the thing: Trion has done a lot of things very, very well. However, Trion has also done a number of things very, very poorly.

Is this a great game? Yes. One could hardly argue that for the cost (free) the game does not deliver on many levels. The artwork is amazing. The soundtrack is impressive (although I get the sense that most players turn this off after a short time). The world can be immersive. There is gameplay for nearly every style- Roleplay, raiding, hardcore, casual (you'll note I said, nearly, and did not mention PvP).

However...

Trion fails to deliver in several places that matter. Specifically as of late, let's look at their hardware. Since the launch of F2P, we've seen a fairly steady decline in server stability. Back at launch (yes, I was around for that) Wednesday patches took, at most, 30 minutes to deliver. On average, we're down for 45 minutes to an hour- often longer for "hardware maintenance". We continue to see a rash of connectivity issues as well. Since the release of Storm Legion, the game has been plagued with in-game glitches and issues that a seasoned development studio should have addressed long ago (vanishing rock formations, anyone?).

You'll note in the "fails to deliver" section, I didn't even get into content.

From a purely technical standpoint, Trion used to be at the top of the industry. This now appears to be one of their biggest downfalls.

All that being said, I would still recommend Rift to my friends- but I would not go as far as to say "it's the best game on the market overall right now" because I make a habit of not lying to my friends.

My two copper.

Hawkemoon- Cleric- Greybriar
    Waiting for: Star Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon0028 View Post
    Specifically as of late, let's look at their hardware.
    I agree completely with this.

I can 'put up' with it since I know Trion will fix stuff - connections problems are temporary/etc and I know I still enjoy Rift.

However, what about new players? Imagine going into a brand new MMO, being wary since it's the 5th or 6th one you've tried and you don't want to invest heavily into (leveling up/etc) if the end-game is bad. Now you are constantly getting disconnected, server has issues, flashing rocks, Errored out/etc.

You're likely to leave and not give the game a second chance. Perhaps you'll end up at some point posting on a Trion-related article commenting on how when you played it was filled with bugs/game crashes/poor optimisation/poor connectivity/latency problems. Someone on the fence as to whether to take the plunge and download 10+ gb to try out the game ends up deciding not to thanks to this comment.

It's not a good look and all the recent issues have probably turned off a lot of potential players.

Ascendant

I forgot about this post, shame the OP didn't come back. I don't think WoW is perfect or Rift and I'll defend or criticize either in any forums when it's needed but this bullpoo by the OP needed corrected just like it always does by the white knights on this forum. Telling the devs everything is great when it's not doesn't get things fixed. It will however turn players away and well loose the devs their jobs in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntled View Post
    I can't wait to hear this explanation, I don't know how someone can call WoW's new patch a "grind" and praise Rift for "content"
    For people who have around the recommended gear or slightly below the recommended gear level Flex is not faceroll. Tried it Wednesday with my new guild and I was a bit below the gear level recommended and we downed two bosses. The third has a tight enrage timer so if you slack you'll be wiped. I'm not a great fan of the Timeless Isle since on Kazzak it's a lag fest. just like back on Zaviel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonus View Post
    I agree completely with this.

I can 'put up' with it since I know Trion will fix stuff - connections problems are temporary/etc and I know I still enjoy Rift.

However, what about new players? Imagine going into a brand new MMO, being wary since it's the 5th or 6th one you've tried and you don't want to invest heavily into (leveling up/etc) if the end-game is bad. Now you are constantly getting disconnected, server has issues, flashing rocks, Errored out/etc.

You're likely to leave and not give the game a second chance. Perhaps you'll end up at some point posting on a Trion-related article commenting on how when you played it was filled with bugs/game crashes/poor optimisation/poor connectivity/latency problems. Someone on the fence as to whether to take the plunge and download 10+ gb to try out the game ends up deciding not to thanks to this comment.

It's not a good look and all the recent issues have probably turned off a lot of potential players.
    That is a big problem. The have been posts from new players giving up because of the poor servers. The EU shards connectivity seems fine but I know the US servers have had some issues since the cluster reorg. The 4am problem still exists for US players and how many months is that now. I have no faith that Trion will correct these network issues since it's been so long and they still have no clue. Most people when they complain about performance it's the engine and well that is a problem but we also have issues with servers and that's the hidden problem we don't discuss and that's the server code too. In a game that markets raiding as one of it's selling points there shouldn't be ability lag when it's busy. I could go on for a long time about performance but it's all been said before for years.
    Last edited by Caitie; 09-12-2013 at 10:09 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast