Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Faeblight RP - does Trion care about their naming policy?

Soulwalker

Default Faeblight RP - does Trion care about their naming policy?

I see tons of dumb names. Names that are trying to be funny but don't work. Names that have sexual references. Names that have nothing to do with the game lore. Just curious if they enforce their naming policy on their RP server. . If rules are not enforced they should be removed.
    Last edited by Zeike; 08-31-2013 at 05:11 PM.

This has been brought up a few times.
    The best suggestion that anyone has made is to report those players for name violation.
    The ones that are of sexual or violent/racist nature will more likely be dealt with.

While there is technically a name policy about "realistic" names on RP servers, it's not enforced as much as I would like to see.

This problem has existed since the beginning, all you can do is report. If you friend the people you report it will show if they change their name. There's some very obscene names right now on Faeblight, some of the worst I've ever seen.

Soulwalker

I am on faeblight myself and have been from launch. I have never had an issue with the names until now. The naming issue I have now is that I am seeing friends and guild mates being forced to rename or leave server for names that are in no way offensive. I am unwilling to use the peoples specific name as but two examples of names that have been targeted are close to "drinkcup" and "bakegoodninja". I have read the naming policy and can see how these names can run afoul but honestly I cannot see how this is something that needs a drastic measure such as suspending these players accounts and forcing them to move off server if they are unwilling to buy the credits for a name change(which is what has happened). If I am to be forced to lose players and friends that I interact with due to such trivial matters then you can expect me to move to another game and my money with it.

As for the excuse that this breaks the RP atmosphere I would like to bring up that cross shard players may come to Faeblight with names that are not beholden to the role play naming policy. Harassment of non offensive names on Faeblight is not going to fix anything, only cause less people to be on server. That being said the rules are posted and as such are to be upheld but due to vagueness of what can be considered in violation as well as the loophole in the system due to cross shard visitors I would suggest that the naming policy be looked at and adapted to something a bit more logical towards whats worth needing a name change.

Soulwalker

Trion has been cracking down. I AM NOT HAPPY about this. I have an RP name. I see people with non-RP names. I do not RP. Trion is cracking down on the wrong people, constructive friendly members of the server who happen to have non-RP names. Some of these people transferred from other servers and were told that RP was optional, not enforced. Others have used the same name for all of their MMO careers and consider it part of their identities. A few are dimensioneers that are never in the open world anyway. All of them have had their gameplay and enjoyment of Rift negatively impacted by this crackdown. None of them ever talk in world chat channels. None of them have offensive name, simply non-RP names.

If Trion wants to enforce their RP naming policy, know that they are hurting players they may not expect to hurt. I'm losing friends and guildmates who would rather transfer to other shards than play without their names. I obeyed your rule, and now I'm paying for it.

You can't even bother to operate a lore forum anymore, and designers have stated previously that they consider encounter design and gameplay more important than the game's story. Stop screwing over my gameplay for the sake of your nonexistant story. I didn't roll on Faebligt because it was RP, I roled on it because it was the only server with a decent population when I started.

I'm also curious how some of my friends could have been reported in the first place. They don't talk in global channels, which means someone in the open world must have decided the name was worthy of reporting. The odd thing is, people on other servers can join Faebligt with non-RP names and run around if they get an anchor. It doesn't really make sense. If there are that many RPers that are bothered by non-RP names, why are you specifically allowing people who are not subject to that rule onto the shard?

This RP names rule has served only to damage the community and my exprience of the game. It has created a division between the productive members of the server, dividing the Cupcakes and the Faydewyns into categories based on an arbitrary judgement of whether or not something can fit into an RP background. Obviously offensive names should be changed, yes. But stop with this crap. It's ruining my game and putting my friends in danger of having to transfer. I want to play Rift with my friends, PLEASE STOP. I'm sure there are others like me out there.

If Faeblight has a special rule concerning names, and your name violates that rule, then you're in the wrong. Period. It doesn't matter why you are there, or how friendly you may be. It doesn't matter if you think the rule is silly or pointless. If you're a resident of that shard, then you're expected to follow the rules of that shard.

Imagine if someone could roll a toon on Seastone or Necropolis, and not be flagged. The residents of those shards would likely be exploding with rage on the forums, and rightly so. Being perma-flagged is a rule of those shards. It's what sets them apart from the others. It's the same principle with Faeblight's naming policy. The only difference is that, rather than it happening automatically, it requires some intervention by Trion. If you don't want to have open-world PvP, don't roll on Seastone or Necropolis. If you want to have a non-RP name, don't roll on Faeblight.

Visitors from other shards are an exception to the rule because they are only there temporarily. They didn't roll or transfer to Faeblight. Plus I'm guessing it would be next to impossible to police and enforce temporary name changes for them anyway.

Champion of Telara Elric-merren's Avatar

I have to agree if you roll on a rp shard with naming policies than you should be expected to adhere to those rules, and if you do not than you should be forced to adhere to them by the gms. If you violate that fact you should get a free name-change, but if you are a repeat offender that repeatedly refused to create a rp-name, then your character should be transferred off the shard to either a non-rp or pvp shard. Even merely having your character locked an yet being given a transfer off to another server would be fine i think. Also you are not exempt from being forced to adhere to the laws in real life, even if you think those laws are stupid or irrelevant, or even if they impede your ability have a good time.

I think that they should have a full week where the players on the rp-shards are given a warning that at the end of that week the rp-shard would have their naming rules enforced stringently. This would allow those that wanted to keep their names to keep them without issue, while also allowing their friends to transfer off to another server without any other problems really. Also it is not like it is going to cost you money to transfer your characters to another shard, and even if it were they could implement a week-long free-transfer policy for that time. Where guilds are concerned i am sure they could work something where entire guilds of players with the guild itself being transferred off the server intact.

Rift Chaser

RP carebear topics always make me all warm and fuzzy inside - it makes me realize that all the time spend tacking together that generic "story" of rift wasn't wasted since there are actually people who like that crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ911 View Post
    I'm sorry what am I supposed to be looking at? I'm too distracted by that hot dwarf in a bathing suit

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Wolffpack View Post
    RP carebear topics always make me all warm and fuzzy inside - it makes me realize that all the time spend tacking together that generic "story" of rift wasn't wasted since there are actually people who like that crap.
    Thank you for your irrelevant opinion.

Ascendant

I've noticed many many more names that do not adhere to the terms of service rules set out for us for our names on Faeblight. I've been reporting many more names than usual. I don't think it should matter if you've been there for a week, or a month, or two years. If you've been there a long time, you've just gotten lucky that no one has reported your name yet. I've noticed GUILD names that fall into this too... I feel bad reporting guild names - but wow... think about where you created your character before you name yourself or your guild.

Now, there may be people who are on the shard not to RP but to be with friends. However, if you are named "tankforhire" or "Imthekingofthewrld" on Faeblight, and I see your name, I will report your name. I don't write to that person "excuse me player - you're on Faeblight - the only NA RP shard. Are you here for RP or just to be social?"

What purpose would that server? If the rule is good enough to force one person to change, it is good enough to force anyone else who falls under that rule too. Trion can't say "Well, that person's name doesn't fit TOS, but we'll let them slide because they're in XYZ guild and play a lot." or "Well, that person has been here a long time and they might not know about the rules."

I think part of the problem (a small part, because players role on Faeblight and treat it like a regular PVE shard) is that the TOS are not clearly presented. That little RP beside the PVE is seen and then shrugged off because it can't possibly mean anything different will happen.

I think it would help a lot if Trion had a small blurb about each shard when people choose to create a character. Can they make the program register what shard you are on when you hit create and then based on that shard, auto-populate a description of that shard.

IE:
    you're on Seastone, you hit create, a message pops up that says "This is a PVP shard. Before creating a character on this shard please familiarize yourself with the general conduct rules in our TOS that relate to PVP shards, including the definition of griefing, and autoflaging.."

or for Faeblight "This is a RP shard. By creating a character on this shard. Before creating a character on this shard please familiarize yourself with the general conduct rules in our TOS that relate to RP shards, including our naming regulations and RP guidelines and policies about RP griefing."

The way the system was designed, it is a player policed shard, not a Trion policed shard, which is the worst system I think. When they split the clusters I was wishing for a second RP shard on the second cluster. A place they could start fresh. I know many people who made their community on Faeblight didn't want this. I wanted it. Maybe it could be better enforced... but no luck.
    Last edited by Milyssa; 09-01-2013 at 04:33 AM.

I played on a PvP-RP server in WoW (Emerald Dream) and originally played on a PvP-RP server in Rift (Sunrest).

There's no carebear in PvP-RP, as many Sunrest players are still today as talented and cutthroat as any other PvP players in Rift.

It's all perception. One kind of RP player wants to script out a story for players to reenact. They go nuts if somebody interferes. They rarely can accomplish their theater on a PvP-RP server.

Another kind of RP player, my kind, roams the game like a sandbox and reacts to things as they happen--but stays reasonably within character. That means a lot of fighting and sometimes cooperation. It's more fun if the other players are named something resembling a name instead of obscenities, Internet memes, and slang.

I used to report people all the time for name violations but I've pretty much abandoned all hope. I only report (name rhymes with Libby) now. Until Trion deals with that absolute cesspit of humanity... I firmly believe they won't deal with anything else. How many times can someone threaten violence on someone, dig up personal information off of former guildmates on facebook then post it to the 50-59 channel and generally give lewd sex advice to 14 year olds in the 1-29 chat?

What she does borderlines on actual criminal behavior on a daily basis and this has been going on for well over a year. Heck, I've been warned by GMs to stop reporting her because what I'm doing is wasting their time.

For the record, I have not stopped reporting her and, yes... I am still here and they haven't done anything about me either. Case in point.
    Last edited by Laeris; 09-01-2013 at 09:30 AM.

Ascendant

haha Learis... stick to your guns. They can't do anything to you because you are not reporting for frivolous actions. I could see if someone was being reported constantly without basis... but I'm sure, given the person you are, you are submitting your complaint each and every time with a synopsis of what was said and what area of the TOS that violates.

I feel like the naming is getting worse. I was in chat one day and reported a name.. it was something like dinosaurburger. 3 minutes later a person named something equally bad came onto the chat and said "I guess trion didn't like dinosaurburger as a name... I sure hope they like this new name better."......

Which points out two things. 1) This person has obviously been reported before. My report wouldn't have been actioned in less than 3 minutes. and 2) The message that some of these people are taking away from being told to change their name is its a joke, not something to be respected.

To the OP....They do BUT the names have to be reported.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Faydewyn View Post
    Trion has been cracking down. I AM NOT HAPPY about this. I have an RP name. I see people with non-RP names. I do not RP. Trion is cracking down on the wrong people, constructive friendly members of the server who happen to have non-RP names.....
    Rules are rules. If a rule exists it must be enforced. If it is not to be enforced then the rule needs to be amended or eliminated.

It always amazes me how arguments like this are brought up in an anonymous virtual world but would be seen as ridiculous and counter productive to organized society if raised in the real world. Irl we would be talking about getting the laws changed...not selective enforcement. The same principle should apply here.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast