Closed Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Faeblight RP - does Trion care about their naming policy?

It's an RP-PVE server. Not just RP. With that fact I really couldn't care less what somebody names their toon. Yes, some names are just off base in general but I'm not one to look down upon them or anybody else.

(cont. from above, edit timer expired)

RPers have 1 shard. Just 1. We can't go anywhere else so we, instead, have to put up with you guys. Some of you are really bad, some... are just blissfully ignorant and, I believe, are COMPLETELY BLINDSIDED when someone like paniswrinkle has to change his name. It's a moral travesty for him, I'm sure.

I don't care about your feelings on the topic. There are rules. Like me, they're black and white. I don't judge with arbitrary feelings. I look at the dumb names (which are obvious) and I report them when I see them. I don't run around looking for them... and I bet 99% of the ones I report are global chat trolls because I can report them very easily by right clicking their name on the chat bar. I don't waste time filling out reports anymore. I judge by how I interpret the rules as they're written.

So, if you get your name changed... it's your fault and only your fault. A paid Trion person had to see your name and make that determination. Either way, you get it changed or you server transfer... Problem solved. We chose to play on an RP server because of the RP and/or the mature community. Diluting that community with shades of wrong and impropriety will never give you any moral high ground to stand on... so you probably should just read the rules and learn to follow them or you're just wasting your time.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeusX View Post
    It's an RP-PVE server. Not just RP. With that fact I really couldn't care less what somebody names their toon. Yes, some names are just off base in general but I'm not one to look down upon them or anybody else.
    I love this stupid argument. Again, trolls use this all the time. "It's RP OR PVE."

There were threads titled that back during launch when the trolls were getting banned for griefing on RPers. It had gotten so bad that then game director Hartsman had to make a post that read, "It is RP /AND/ PVE."

This specifically means a person has to respect both the RP and the PvE... not choose which one they want. If you want to ignore the RP and the naming conventions then I can point you to several PvE only shards you can go do0d out on and throw up so many names for your ******* to your heart's content and live happily ever after.

But... on the RP/PvE server... the RP tag is there for a reason. The tag is not optional nor is it intended to be casually ignored. Why is this so hard for people to understand? It doesn't mean everyone has to RP... it just means everyone has to respect the ruleset... otherwise, if they didn't... it would not be an RP server and would be no different than any other PvE server.

Maybe you can see our point here and why this is such a big issue.

You know what, I lied. I will continue this.

Quote Originally Posted by Laeris View Post
    Well, let me enlighten you to something called reality. You can talk a good yarn all you want in life and tell people that stereotypes and predispositions are bad... but it's scientifically proven that 100% of people generate a predisposition of someone within 10 seconds of meeting them. It's basic animal nature... and not unique to humans. Well all have criteria ingrained within our brains that was put there by observing the world around us and by being affected by others or circumstances.
    Internet experts are the best, aren't they? Just because something applies to YOU doesn't mean it applies to everyone.

Now, you're right, they're not always correct... but they exist for a reason. While they may not be 100% true, they're almost always partially valid. Now, let's look at you for a second.
    Oh, this should be good.

The basis of your hit-piece on me is summed up in the following way: You had a bad name but it is now my fault that a Trion employee made you change it. I am also now an elitist "***."
    I'm going to stop you right there for some badly-needed clarification: The thing that makes you an "elitist collection of asterisks" isn't that you may or may not have (I do apologize for the potentially false accusation, but your attitude and words are *exactly* the same) reported my name, it's the implication that you think you know everything and your opinion is the only correct one; that anyone who doesn't conform to your standard, play by your rules, or share your opinion is beneath you.

Given that I haven't really played much in a month... it probably wasn't me. But, assuming your name was bad enough to get it changed by a company who doesn't historically enforce their naming conventions or most of their TOS with any sense of seriousness... then that means your name must have been not just bad... but absolutely TERRIBLE.

So, let's now assume you had a REALLY bad name. -I- didn't tell you to transfer to this server with a stupid name. Every time Trion puts out a major patch you have to read and agree to the TOS. It isn't my fault you chose to ignore it.

I don't have any power to change your name. The most I can do is alert the GMs of your presence. It doesn't matter if one person or 1,000 people report your name. None of us have any power to do anything about it. This isn't a thieves' guild and I'm not a thief. You're the one breaking the rules so... you can't expect me to have some unwritten pact with you that says, "I shall not report the do0ds for having stupid names."

You want to know the name in question? The one that was so horrible, so terrifyingly brutal and offensive that there was no option but to report it - to avenge the slaying of the honor and integrity of Telara, Trion, and roleplayers everywhere?

"Brofist."

Nobody asked you to sign a pact stating you wouldn't report offensive or otherwise obviously non-RP names, but going out of your way to be a jackwagon to someone who's done nothing to you? Please.

We're not friends, guildmates, or even remotely of the same fiber where we would even be mistaken for
    acquaintances.
    Thank the gods for small favors.

In communities, you have community members and non-conformists. The people in the community are bound and try to play to by the rules. They don't purposely try to upset others and they have something called "propriety." Look it up if you don't know the definition. Being a nonconformist either willingly makes you do things to stand out... or, passively out of ignorance.
    Nobody is refuting those facts; however, you are asserting that ANYONE giving a name to an avatar comprised of 1s and 0s, in a made-up world of 1s and 0s - with or without full knowledge of the rules - is purposefully undermining the integrity of the community within which it resides.

That is an absolutely absurd statement.

What you need to understand about the world is that everyone forms an opinion on you as soon as they meet you. Whether its in-game our in real life. If your name is something offensive enough to get reported... if it is a community minded person like myself seeing you... then you can bet without a doubt that that person probably doesn't have a high opinion of you.
    What YOU need to understand is that a few characters printed on a screen does not a personality make. If you're willing to make knee-jerk judgments on a human being because they've simply used a single word that doesn't fit your criteria for whatever the subject happens to be, you've got a serious, SERIOUS problem.

You seem like the kind of guy who could care less... so, my advice to you: Get used to be treated like a floormat until your attitude changes.
    So tell me, what's it like, Princess Getoveryourself? You know, the view down your nose, looking through all of us unwashed, inbred cretins, while riding your magnificent high horse "Serious Business" up to your ivory tower in the far, far away land of "Allaboutme?"

Additionally, from a reply to another post:
    There were threads titled that back during launch when the trolls were getting banned for griefing on RPers. It had gotten so bad that then game director Hartsman had to make a post that read, "It is RP /AND/ PVE."

This specifically means a person has to respect both the RP and the PvE...
    By your own statement, you should respect those who choose not to RP on the server. I mean, griefing is one thing, but getting bent out of shape over a non-offensive name?

I suppose everyone needs their windmills at which to tilt.

Soulwalker

AresRising, I <3 you so much. xD Bravo, sir, bravo.

Though I have loved RP all my life, I'll probably switch to a normal PvE server after this thread.

On the whole I prefer to have to cope with your run-of-the-mill next door snotty kid, as I have done all these years in WoW, than with elitists who think they are holier than everybody else simply because they sport a "RP Name"... whatever that means. I find "Rowdybear" a perfectly cool name, though elitist think that it's to be banned, and Trion listens to them and does.

P.S.
    And yes, bravo Ares.
    Last edited by Goodberry; 09-05-2013 at 01:21 PM.
    Never give a sword to a man who can't dance (Confucius)

Soulwalker

Just because people want to follow and maintain the server naming policy, that doesn't make them "elitist". Trion made the rules. Many people are not abiding by the rules. Its not our fault if people agree to the ToS, then enter the RP server with names like "BroFist" then get made to change their name. There are plenty of other shards where you can use that name without any consequences.

The only people at fault here are the people rolling on an RP shard and not sticking to the naming policy.

Ascendant

Brofist .... bro is dudespeak and that is more than likely why you were reported. Dudespeak is listed specifically. The bottom line is trion made that choice. 500 people could have reportdd it and if trion looked at it and said "no that one is ok" you wouldn't even know about it. If triob didn't look at the report and agree that it was against the rules the person reported would never know about it.

In fact if you make a habit of reporting names that are just fine you get yourself a warning.... so you can't say its the self obsessed community.... all we are doi g is notifying trion of something we think is worth a look. Same as a bug report or a report of a botter. We don't make the final call

Shield of Telara

While I do think Laeris could have put it much less...roughly...he does have a point.

It is an RP shard, and that does mean following the naming policy.
    I am sure many people who have non-RP names are good people in general, but the rule is there since it is an RP server, and while you may choose not to RP, there are people who do.

Nothing more and nothing less.

Quote Originally Posted by AresRising View Post
    You know what, I lied. I will continue this.

Internet experts are the best, aren't they? Just because something applies to YOU doesn't mean it applies to everyone.

Oh, this should be good.

I'm going to stop you right there for some badly-needed clarification: The thing that makes you an "elitist collection of asterisks" isn't that you may or may not have (I do apologize for the potentially false accusation, but your attitude and words are *exactly* the same) reported my name, it's the implication that you think you know everything and your opinion is the only correct one; that anyone who doesn't conform to your standard, play by your rules, or share your opinion is beneath you.

You want to know the name in question? The one that was so horrible, so terrifyingly brutal and offensive that there was no option but to report it - to avenge the slaying of the honor and integrity of Telara, Trion, and roleplayers everywhere?

"Brofist."

Nobody asked you to sign a pact stating you wouldn't report offensive or otherwise obviously non-RP names, but going out of your way to be a jackwagon to someone who's done nothing to you? Please.

Thank the gods for small favors.

Nobody is refuting those facts; however, you are asserting that ANYONE giving a name to an avatar comprised of 1s and 0s, in a made-up world of 1s and 0s - with or without full knowledge of the rules - is purposefully undermining the integrity of the community within which it resides.

That is an absolutely absurd statement.

What YOU need to understand is that a few characters printed on a screen does not a personality make. If you're willing to make knee-jerk judgments on a human being because they've simply used a single word that doesn't fit your criteria for whatever the subject happens to be, you've got a serious, SERIOUS problem.

So tell me, what's it like, Princess Getoveryourself? You know, the view down your nose, looking through all of us unwashed, inbred cretins, while riding your magnificent high horse "Serious Business" up to your ivory tower in the far, far away land of "Allaboutme?"

Additionally, from a reply to another post:

By your own statement, you should respect those who choose not to RP on the server. I mean, griefing is one thing, but getting bent out of shape over a non-offensive name?

I suppose everyone needs their windmills at which to tilt.

Me, bent out of shape over it? Not in the least. I just report people like you and move on. I don't lose sleep over it. And, yes... I would classify the name "Brofist" on an RP server as beyond the pale. It blatantly violates the naming conventions for the RP server.

Therefore, by purposely and blatantly choosing to thumb your own nose at the rules, you're also thumbing your nose at the community... and, Trion saw fit to fix you and you got busted for doing so. I have no pity for you and you're pretty much a symptom of the problem. I don't respect trolls. Sorry.

Yes, our names are made up of 1s and 0s in code... but what about if I named myself something that started with an "N" and rhymed with "bigger?" Is that still a collection of 1s and 0s to you? According to your logic that would be just fine and dandy. The truth is... it wouldn't be fine and would be about the worst example of a breach of the rules. There has to be a line drawn between acceptable and unacceptable. That's what the TOS does. It defines the line... if done properly it makes it as fine as possible so there isn't much ambiguity. "Brofist" is so far past the line that it sits closer to that previous example than the name, "Lunchbox."

And again, you are still taking your angst out on me. So I'll just say this one more time: I have no pity for trolls who get spanked into compliance. I'm just a casual observer over here. I have no power to change your name. Now, if you were playing the MMO I was a CM for... then we'd have a very different relationship.

In that game, my policy was one of exclusion. Trolls who purposely tried to disrupt the RP server were forcibly transferred without a warning and banished to a single server they could never transfer off of... or make a new character on any but that server. You want to ever see something fun? Go watch what happens on a server full of thousands of trolls who realize they're on a server to troll themselves. That's some funny business to watch. If you broke the rules, we'd just keep taking your money but put you in a cesspit of your own peers while the rest of the gaming community played at relative peace. *Note: We disabled all abilities to send petitions on that server. You think you could send one but the system would put it in a junk folder of sorts and they would be ignored. You could send an email to CS (me!) and plead your case but I never reversed a single one. I don't play pity party very well.

But no, in Rift I just play from time to time and hit rt+click then report when I see people obviously trying to ruin the server for RPers for their own amusement. I don't care if you RP or not but when you go out of your way to disrupt people like me... then yes... I report you and laugh when you blame me for making you make poor choices.

If I truly had power over you or over your character, I'd have just moved you to a Russian server and named you Candypants. But alas, I don't have any GM tools.
    Last edited by Laeris; 09-06-2013 at 02:10 AM.

..., it's the implication that you think you know everything and your opinion is the only correct one; that anyone who doesn't conform to your standard, play by your rules, or share your opinion is beneath you.
    And to clarify once more:

I don't have an opinion on this matter at all. I look at the clearly posted rules. Your name isn't even up for debate it was so far away from acceptable according to the rules. Now, do I view you as beneath me? Nope.

It's like this: Teenis players play on tennis courts and baseball players play on baseball diamonds. At no point should tennis players (you) think its fun to run around the baseball field swatting fly balls in the outfield with your tennis racquet. Therefore, you need to be reminded which field you and your kind play on.

You're no less a human being... but if you don't play ball... you don't belong on the field. It's simple cause and effect really.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeike View Post
    Just because people want to follow and maintain the server naming policy, that doesn't make them "elitist".
    That's not the statement I made.

Quote Originally Posted by Milyssa View Post
    Brofist .... bro is dudespeak and that is more than likely why you were reported. Dudespeak is listed specifically. The bottom line is trion made that choice. 500 people could have reportdd it and if trion looked at it and said "no that one is ok" you wouldn't even know about it. If triob didn't look at the report and agree that it was against the rules the person reported would never know about it.
    "Dudespeak" by whose standards?

It means "country" (like the opposite of city) in Breton (Celtic);
    It means "bridge" in Danish;
    It means "thorn" in Gallo (French regional);
    It means "pitcher" in Jerriais (Norman);
    It means "bridge" in Swedish;
    It means "region," "country," or "lowland" in Welsh.

In fact if you make a habit of reporting names that are just fine you get yourself a warning.... so you can't say its the self obsessed community.... all we are doi g is notifying trion of something we think is worth a look. Same as a bug report or a report of a botter. We don't make the final call
    Again, I didn't say anything about a "self-obsessed community," I'm speaking on a singular person's attitude. Let me clarify my position here: I fully agree and abide by the naming standards for an RP shard. What I do NOT agree with is the "hate blanket" for *anyone* who doesn't follow the policy, knowingly or not.

Quote Originally Posted by 236FF View Post
    While I do think Laeris could have put it much less...roughly...he does have a point.

It is an RP shard, and that does mean following the naming policy.
    I am sure many people who have non-RP names are good people in general, but the rule is there since it is an RP server, and while you may choose not to RP, there are people who do.

Nothing more and nothing less.
    Sadly, that wasn't his point. His point is that anyone who doesn't conform to the naming policy is essentially a worthless person, and only there to troll. I'm simply attempting to refute that claim.

Once again, I fully support and embrace RP, and respect anyone who wishes to do so - regardless of whether or not they're on an RP server. This game is classified as an MMORPG, and anyone who criticizes, laughs at, or otherwise looks down on someone for RPing is an enormous hypocrite.

Me, bent out of shape over it? Not in the least. I just report people like you and move on. I don't lose sleep over it. And, yes... I would classify the name "Brofist" on an RP server as beyond the pale. It blatantly violates the naming conventions for the RP server.

Therefore, by purposely and blatantly choosing to thumb your own nose at the rules, you're also thumbing your nose at the community... and, Trion saw fit to fix you and you got busted for doing so. I have no pity for you and you're pretty much a symptom of the problem.
    And I made that character BEFORE I knew there was a naming standard. But you don't care about little details like "facts" or "circumstances" now, do you? A single error due to a lack of knowledge is the same as repeatedly committing a capital offense to you, right?

You stated earlier that you see things as "black and white;" sadly, the world isn't that simple. People aren't that simple. If that's how you view things, you're certainly in no position to be giving anyone advice on how to live their lives.

I don't respect trolls. Sorry.
    That's rich.

Yes, our names are made up of 1s and 0s in code... but what about if I named myself something that started with an "N" and rhymed with "bigger?" Is that still a collection of 1s and 0s to you? According to your logic that would be just fine and dandy. The truth is... it wouldn't be fine and would be about the worst example of a breach of the rules. There has to be a line drawn between acceptable and unacceptable. That's what the TOS does. It defines the line... if done properly it makes it as fine as possible so there isn't much ambiguity. "Brofist" is so far past the line that it sits closer to that previous example than the name, "Lunchbox."
    Poor analogy, considering that word is commonly used as a derogatory term for a group of people. However, if you think "Brofist" is as bad as that, this is the final response you'll get from me. Not that you care, since I'm as bad as the Ku Klux Klan, right?

But no, in Rift I just play from time to time and hit rt+click then report when I see people obviously trying to ruin the server for RPers for their own amusement. I don't care if you RP or not but when you go out of your way to disrupt people like me... then yes... I report you and laugh when you blame me for making you make poor choices.
    Obviously trying to ruin the server for RPers? That's what I did with the name "Brofist?" You're off your rocker.

If I truly had power over you or over your character, I'd have just moved you to a Russian server and named you Candypants. But alas, I don't have any GM tools.
    Again, small favors.

And to clarify once more:

I don't have an opinion on this matter at all. I look at the clearly posted rules. Your name isn't even up for debate it was so far away from acceptable according to the rules. Now, do I view you as beneath me? Nope.

It's like this: Teenis players play on tennis courts and baseball players play on baseball diamonds. At no point should tennis players (you) think its fun to run around the baseball field swatting fly balls in the outfield with your tennis racquet. Therefore, you need to be reminded which field you and your kind play on.

You're no less a human being... but if you don't play ball... you don't belong on the field. It's simple cause and effect really.
    I want you to read what you posted in the preceding quote. Carefully. Now, let's review:

- You obviously DO have an opinion on this matter;
    - You are dreadful at making analogous comparisons;
    - You are absolutely, 100%, out of touch with reality

You and I, we're done here. There's no reasoning with the unreasonable.

This thread has morphed into something ugly, and has reminded me why I can't stand the RP server in this game.

People should worry about their own characters instead of someone else's that has no effect on them. Sad sad times.
    Anaraia@Deepwood

"Dudespeak" by whose standards?
    Trion's, obviously, if they made you change it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyonyx View Post
    Trion's, obviously, if they made you change it.
    Stop saying that. Some people will simply never understand the fact that Trion set the rules, a.k.a. the naming policy. It's like they truly believe that they are exempt from the rules that, again, Trion officially put in place. Because, you know, rules don't apply to them and what not. Their mommies and daddies said so.

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast