+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Buyer Beware: Crucia's Lockboxes

Prophet of Telara

In this thread I've learned that there are people who have no idea what a Ponzi scheme is nor do they know what "bait-and-switch" means.

Champion

that was a pretty nice "haha fark you!" by daglar though. I'll have to remember that one when I'm dealing with my customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shattered View Post
    I still don't get how Trion can classify weapons and armor as Relic quality when their stats are worse than blue quality gear of the same level. What's the point? It just upsets people when they realize this.
    They need to stop this. It doesn't work. Trion. IT. DOESN'T. WORK. We just get annoyed and stop playing, at most. Make it purple. Please. Don't wreck the orangeness!

Quote Originally Posted by Veramir View Post
    I do hope by now people have realized that the gambling boxes are only good for consumables and tokens,if you expected gear you will only get things that are subpar compared to earned gear.

Trion warned that they will not do P2W, and you bet this will reflect on the stuff they sell.

Anyways, those items are good runebreaking materials, dream essences are hard to come by these days.
    That's a good point - a good way to get/sell RB mats.
    And another that they now stand as 'open world relics'. However, Volan shouldn't be dropping relics if they're of this power level in the first place. Make em purple.

This just in!

Lottery boxes in a yet another MMO contains non-BIS items. People are angry, throwing keyboards out of the window and settings cars on fire. In other news, RNG is still plaguing the players of MMOs and people are upset that something has less than a 100% drop rate.

More at 11!

Sometimes I don't understand how people can't take things as is written on the box and expect tooth paste to cure cancer instead of helping you to clean your teeth and nothing else.
    Last edited by Rounded; 08-24-2013 at 09:02 AM.

6.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #51
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by stonelotus View Post
    that was a pretty nice "haha fark you!" by daglar though. I'll have to remember that one when I'm dealing with my customers.
    Hrm, explaining the situation doesn't seem like that at all to me. I always speak honestly and clearly when I can.

~Daglar

Rift Disciple

Reading this entire thread and separating the overly zealous responses about RNG and how the game isn't pay to win, and how lock boxes in any game are always a gamble (and the OP knew this going into it), I take away one thing.

Any information architect will tell you that it is folly to use one classification mechanism to try to represent multiple tiers of data, which is exactly what this 'orange' color is haplessly forced to do.

Any item in the game should have three pieces of information on it. It is free to have a 'color' associated to it so we as players can (or not) get excited about seeing it drop. Or come out of a box. Ooh it's purple. Or orange. Or white. Rarity.

Then we can look at it, and see its level requirement. Oh. It's level 58. Or 60. This will tell us more information.

Then we can see it's ilevel. And even have a broader picture of the stat distribution/tier of the item.

Right now, we get a box or a drop or anything, anywhere, whether it's on the auction house or out of a cookie jar and I have no idea what I have. Google doesn't help because the data is spurious and long term players have a better idea about the ebb and flow of interest or how well maintained internet resources are.

I'm a new player. I like this game quite a bit and it's now the only MMO I play and I support it with time and resources. I've bought grab boxes in other games in the past and if I ever go down the route of trying to get a mount out of a box in Rift, I know what is in store for me.

But I certainly understand the OP's sense of disappointment about getting an item out of a box and having to perform an inquiry just to understand what it is you actually got out of a box.

What I don't understand is why the perfectly logical calls for accurately providing the needed information to differentiate rarity/minimum level requirement/item level and-or tier aren't readily available. Not every player is a pro at the game, not every player raids--or will have seen raid level gear, I certainly haven't--and you run the risk of a prospective buyer being put off on future purchases or good will after a bad gambling experience just because in game gear isn't properly cataloged.

this is why i am so glad that wildstar and ffxiv have a sub.

that way i avoid all the failbags, derp boxes, single character bag space unlocks only with real currency, "grind your life out or pay us money" celebrated f2p schemes, 1 time uses boosts etc

what i'm a fan of is:

permanenent boosts (for instance for every 10 dollar you spend at the shop, you get a 10% rep and currency boost, caps at 40%)

account wide bag space unlocks and mounts (like pay 30% of the oiginal cost to unlock it on all your characters)

10-15 dollar dlcs that introduce a new zone like ember isle

account upgrades like the one with the spider mount

all those free to play games are terribly afraid that the whales may run out of stuff to buy, neglecting to motivate the other 90-95% for a purchase.

Default Perspective

I agree with the OP and that staff should be changed to purple, relics should not even pop out of the boxes anyway as these should always be acquired through playing. I do believe Trion will dial these "issues" in line as they keep surfacing, they have done a great job of correcting mistakes in the past considering the lack of resources.

They are the only great game out there right now IMO and keep my digital interest for the time along with money I have to spare (Over a years worth of playing), going to see a good movie is about $20.00 once you get your drinks and eats so $15.00 a month for a game or "free" is one heck of a deal. ITS ALL ABOUT PERSPECTIVE right?
    Thank you Trion for all the hard work, greatest game this old gamer has played for so many years and it keeps getting better.

Champion

Buy a box in hopes of BiS items despite it being clearly stated you won't be able to buy BiS items.

Box does not contain BiS items.

Post on forums.
    Ferbo - Deepwood

Filthy Casual 4 life

Relics can pop out of them just fine for me.... Trion never stated they'd be raid quality relics, so there's really no need for any tears about them.

As for bait and switch.... well I rolled mage chloro because they were the best tank healers.... now puri is way better!..... bait and switch bait and switch!.... no wait, who the feck cares... stuff changes.

Champion of Telara

My gsb relics weren't as good as my hk relics. My hk relics weren't as good as my id relics. This is with them all being the same level.
    This is utter bs and a massive injustice!! We need you start a riot and burn this place down!!!

Or take a breath and realize just because its a relic and the same level doesn't mean its the best you can get. For a fresh 60 I bet that sucker would be amazing. But for anyone who had invested some time gearing up and raiding or doing dungeons its not that great
    Drakkles - Warrior - Jynxed
    ]

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by azabar View Post
    i think his issue was with the "relic" quality items. i like the gambling idea. im paying to gamble, not to win super op gear, which trion has stated a million times wont be in the boxes. i tend to agree with OP though, if its relic, it should be relic. not a blue pretending to be an orange.
    Buff old raid tier gear then, since they are relic, but inferior to level 54 greens.
    *eyeroll*

Relic, pic and rare only means how good it is for its item level tier.
    So for its item level, it is the best.
    Last edited by 236FF; 08-24-2013 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kriptini View Post
    Trion has stated many times that Rift is not buy-to-win, so having crappy gear come out of those lockboxes should be expected. I hope for your sake that the staff at least looks cool.

If not, it could be fun to Runebreak!
    This would make sense, except for the fact that you can also buy pretty good gear as well (upgraded dungeon expert gear) from the rift store.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrestorme View Post
    This would make sense, except for the fact that you can also buy pretty good gear as well (upgraded dungeon expert gear) from the rift store.
    If you think the expert gear is good relative to t1 and t2 raid gear and craftables you are smoking.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast