+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: big plan announcement?

Telaran

Default big plan announcement?

Last week we've been told that a new CEO runs the place, that teams are being changed with people being fired, and that this CEO has a big plan for the future.

So... what is this big plan?

Players can be patient, and agree that change is sometimes necessary.
    The thing is, whilst we've suffered the suddenty of this change, and whilst we've been told there is a reason for it, there is apparently no rush to tell us what this reason is. The suddenty of the big plan coming upon us has totally evaporated.

My personal understanding of the current situation is that, Storm Legion has been a flop compared to what Trion executives have been expecting. They then decided to use a F2P model around February/March, to be tested out durring this summer (since summer is the period with most potential players)
    Since this solution is not even working, with summertime ending they now have no clue what to do, so they call back the previous guy in charge, who had nice ideas and had players' confidence (even though at the time he has been a bit annoying). They then mix this guy with the game, and hope the result won't be a disaster.

At this point in the lecture you guessed that the initial question is not really the matter, that there is no such thing as the big plan for Rift. My question is more about this: Is Trion aware that such strategies are killing definitely the game? Betting on Defiance instead of Rift was actually the killing blow, now they are burying deep just to be sure the game is not coming back alive.
    Maybe you think companies can't be so thick. If so you may want to think a bit about the many suicidal strategies Microsoft has been using, or is using currently, for its next console. They can't be so thick right? ...right?

tl,dr: Wildstar is the next wow killer...maybe not wow this time

Rift Disciple

I'd like to hear something from this new CEO. I don't know the guy but I am interested in what, he feels, the direction Rift should go. I'd like to see some numbers from going F2P too. How many accounts were created after f2p. How many are still playing. Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehaa View Post
    Last week we've been told that a new CEO runs the place, that teams are being changed with people being fired, and that this CEO has a big plan for the future.

The thing is, whilst we've suffered the suddenty of this change, and whilst we've been told there is a reason for it, there is apparently no rush to tell us what this reason is. The suddenty of the big plan coming upon us has totally evaporated.

My personal understanding of the current situation is that, Storm Legion has been a flop compared to what Trion executives have been expecting. They then decided to use a F2P model around February/March, to be tested out durring this summer (since summer is the period with most potential players)
    Since this solution is not even working, with summertime ending they now have no clue what to do, so they call back the previous guy in charge, who had nice ideas and had players' confidence (even though at the time he has been a bit annoying). They then mix this guy with the game, and hope the result won't be a disaster.

At this point in the lecture you guessed that the initial question is not really the matter, that there is no such thing as the big plan for Rift. My question is more about this: Is Trion aware that such strategies are killing definitely the game? Betting on Defiance instead of Rift was actually the killing blow, now they are burying deep just to be sure the game is not coming back alive.
    Maybe you think companies can't be so thick. If so you may want to think a bit about the many suicidal strategies Microsoft has been using, or is using currently, for its next console. They can't be so thick right? ...right?

I think you need to be patient. I anticipate more info soon. I am not sure Storm Legion was a flop (although I do believe that some people quit after it's release). I think Defiance has been more disappointing than Rift myself. I think scott is just fixing the problems of growing way too big way too soon. I think future is bright for Rift (and probably Defiance).

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Mehaa View Post

With all due respect, you are being foolish.

Elrar is no longer here . . . so what?

Can you log in and play?
    Are patches still coming?

The only thing that has changed is the name of the person. There has been no change to the game.

The rest of your post is speculative and lacks anything worthwhile.

Soulwalker

I want to know more about the new CEO~

Plane Touched

Rift is fine. There are very few negative posts on the forums from THE PEOPLE.
    The Big Plan is to keep going. Rift isn't going to have this massive surge of people suddenly. It is what it is at this point. I expect it to grow a little more as Action MMORPGs come out. You mention WildStar. Rift is going to benefit greatly from all of these action MMORPGs.

Do you know why Rift is going to benefit? Because contrary to popular belief there exists people who don't like action combat. Where's my proof? WoW still has 7.7 million players, which means that traditional combat is still dominating based on, WoW, Rift and SWTOR Combined Market Share(Drawing a line between "Traditional" and "Action") despite Tera,Gw2 AOC, NWO ect. Heck you don't even have to pay to play them! And, yet... lol

Explaining how rift will benefit: People get bored with WoW->They Try FOTM AMMORPG-> They decide it's not for them but they've had their fill of WoW-> they try Rift and like that it's familiar to WoW, but has more than enough to separate it from WoW.

Trion just needs to make sure Rift is the best "Traditional" MMORPG on the market. That means a 64 bit Client and other optimizations. They put together excellent End Game raids. They have the most kickass f2P model on the Market. All that's left is polish.
    Last edited by Balferest; 08-20-2013 at 07:29 PM.

7.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #7
    Director of Global Communications dahanese's Avatar

I don't think you should expect a single manifesto coming out later this week. For my part, we're going to be changing things throughout the coming weeks. For Scott, you are going to also hear more from him in the coming weeks. Same with the devs - we have 2.4 coming... and then everything in between until 3.0. A lot of that we're not talking about - but it's in the works.

Also, things take a whole lot longer in game dev than you think. Things as big as F2P have to bake a whole lot longer than just a couple months. That being said, you aren't going to hear radio silence - but again, it will come in the form of updates and improvements rather than one grand sweeping AHA moment in the form of a very long post.

Quote Originally Posted by MissFortuneGo View Post
    I want to know more about the new CEO~
    Past Projects:

RIFT: Storm Legion (2012)
    RIFT Mobile (2011)
    RIFT (2011)
    Unannounced MMO and Platform (ohai.com) (Beta Release - May 2009)
    11 social games and skins on four social networks (2008)
    EQ2: Rise of Kunark (Expansion) (Nov 2007)
    Legends of Norrath: Oathbound (Sept 2007)
    EQ2: Echoes of Faydwer (Expansion) (Nov 2006)
    EQ2: The Fallen Dynasty (Adventure Pack) (June 2006)
    EQ2: Kingdom of Sky (Expansion) (Feb 2006)
    EQ2: Desert of Flames (Expansion) (Sept 2005)
    EQ2: The Splitpaw Saga (June 2005)
    EQ2: The Bloodline Chronicles (Mar 2005)
    EverQuest II (Nov 2004)
    EverQuest: Lost Dungeons of Norrath (Sept 2003)
    EverQuest: The Legacy of Ykesha (Feb 2003)
    EverQuest: Planes of Power (Oct 2002)
    EverQuest: Shadows of Luclin (Dec 2001)
    Middle Earth Online (Never shipped. Stealth Dev Team #2. No, not The Permadeath Guys, and not Turbine. The one in the middle youíve never heard of. There may have even been others Iíve never heard of.)
    Legal Crime (@ Publisher - Dev Support & Online Infrastructure) (1999)
    US Chess Federation Online (@ Publisher - Development & Online Infrastructure) (1998)
    Claw: Online (@ Publisher - Dev Support & Online Infrastructure) (1998)
    Warcraft II for Windows: Online (@ Publisher - Porting & Online Infrastructure) (1997)
    Virtual Pool Online (@ Publisher - Dev Support & Online Infrastructure) (1997)
    Darkness Falls (@ Publisher - Dev Support & Online Infrastructure) (1997)
    Splatterball (@ Publisher - Dev Support & Online Infrastructure) (1997)
    Rolemaster: Magestorm (@ Publisher - Dev Support & Online Infrastructure) (1996)
    Descent Online (1996)
    Trivia at The Improv (1996)
    Billboard Live! Trivia (1996)
    ENGAGE Games Online (Game Service Platform) (1996)
    GemStone III (1991)
    Imagine*Nation (1990)
    OrbWars (Level Design) (1989)
    GemStone II (1988)
    Scepter of Goth (1986)

And he's hawt, but not as hawt as Dags.

Den of Madness | Greybriar | Den of Badness | Derpwood

Quote Originally Posted by dahanese View Post
    I don't think you should expect a single manifesto coming out later this week. For my part, we're going to be changing things throughout the coming weeks. For Scott, you are going to also hear more from him in the coming weeks. Same with the devs - we have 2.4 coming... and then everything in between until 3.0. A lot of that we're not talking about - but it's in the works.

Also, things take a whole lot longer in game dev than you think. Things as big as F2P have to bake a whole lot longer than just a couple months. That being said, you aren't going to hear radio silence - but again, it will come in the form of updates and improvements rather than one grand sweeping AHA moment in the form of a very long post.
    So basically your saying...just more of the same?
    Patches with bug fixes and stability fixes which actually break the servers and cause more harm than good. (the old green condoms loading are back, faster and longer than ever)
    A new/old CEO that cant even be bothered to pop by and say HI i'm back? Good start....way to halt the rumours.
    Having to read updates and just basic info about whats happening from external sites......
    Comments on F2P taking longer than a few months are a little......sour. Since for a while Trion was saying they absolutely wouldn't be going F2P then bingo.........were F2P.

While I don't think Wildstar is a threat to Rift, the new FF and ESO are due to go open beta next month.

10.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #10
    Director of Global Communications dahanese's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sindala View Post
    So basically your saying...just more of the same?
    Patches with bug fixes and stability fixes which actually break the servers and cause more harm than good. (the old green condoms loading are back, faster and longer than ever)
    A new/old CEO that cant even be bothered to pop by and say HI i'm back? Good start....way to halt the rumours.
    Having to read updates and just basic info about whats happening from external sites......
    Comments on F2P taking longer than a few months are a little......sour. Since for a while Trion was saying they absolutely wouldn't be going F2P then bingo.........were F2P.

While I don't think Wildstar is a threat to Rift, the new FF and ESO are due to go open beta next month.
    No, definitely not more of the same, but I think you'd rather the CEO be getting things done behind the scenes than posting in the forums first. He was on our Friday live stream for a while, though - the replay is at www.twitch.tv/trionworlds. In the mean time, I talk to the dev team and Scott on a daily basis so I will be giving you guys updates along the way (as well as Morgana and OverloadUT.)

2.4 is around the corner so you'll be hearing quite a bit from us about that soon.

Hehe, it's 12:30am. GOTO BED!

You got a big day tomorrow since it's your first patchday in-charge of the rabble that gets loud during server down-time.

So much tears on this forum for nothing. You do realized that this game is free to play? No pay to win tricks, fully free! Why do you cry I can't understand? Oh they told you about big master plan but there is none... Ah big deal... Game is great as it is, you might just played it way to much and you got no more satisfaction out of it. If that's the case, go play some other game.

Quote Originally Posted by GroundZero View Post
    blah blah blah blah
    If that's the case, go play some other game.
    It really irks me when someone adds that to their post. But thank you for adding nothing to the thread.

Have a nice day.

Den of Madness | Greybriar | Den of Badness | Derpwood

So much tears on this forum for nothing. You do realized that this game is free to play? No pay to win tricks, fully free! Why do you cry I can't understand? Oh they told you about big master plan but there is none... Ah big deal... Game is great as it is, you might just played it way to much and you got no more satisfaction out of it. If that's the case, go play some other game.
    To coin a phrase..."You are young, but you shall learn".
    There's a Star-wars quote for every occasion

Some of us are not happy it's F2P, as we feel it has hurt the community. We also think, right or wrong, F2P was a quick cash grab as the abortions of Defiance and EON are cash sucking holes. So yes we are worried about Rift and whether it has become a cash cow, look at how little new content till Dendrome arrived versus the content in the first year of Rift. Feels like the games development pace has slowed down, substantially.
    Last edited by Tufelhunden; 08-20-2013 at 10:36 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast