+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: big plan announcement?

Plane Walker

I don't think anyone at Trion is obligated to tell you jack &^%$ OP

They tell us more about their inside workings than any other company as it is. Whatever your reading on the interwebs...most likely IS NOT TRUE. Where do you people get these ideas? Stop reading other posts by disgruntled children and thinking its fact. I mean unless your talking to Scott or some of the devs or someone who actually WORKS at Trion, your speculation does nothing but hurt my eyes and make people think the sky is falling when it's not.

I'm utterly amazed at how everyone thinks they are entitled to know all the inner workings of a company that your simply paying a subscription to (and in some cases, not even that). It would be nice to see a state of the union/game message from Scott, but I'm sure that will come along in due time. Until then, play the game and go on about your life. Unless you have a piece of paper that says SHARE of Trion Stock, your sub means you get to continue to play, (or not). That's your decision. Stop with these pointless posts/inquiries.

Shadowlander

I've got it. I know what the big news is. They are preparing to transition the game from the crappy game engine it is built on now to a brand new one that will allow people to get better performance.

People will come back in droves!!

This is gonna be big

3.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #48
    Director of Global Communications dahanese's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sindala View Post
    Hehe, it's 12:30am. GOTO BED!

You got a big day tomorrow since it's your first patchday in-charge of the rabble that gets loud during server down-time.
    Patch days are definitely not the worst days - also, Deb is the ringleader of that and has been doing 'em since she came on.

4.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #49

Quote Originally Posted by Keota View Post
    I may get flamed for this, but I honostly feel like there needs to be less interaction with devs outside of the pts. Its Dahanese's job to judge the overall moral of the community here and refer the apropriate questions in the correct direction.

Rift has some amazing devs and fans but one thing I have noticed over three years here is how the forum community has learned to bait and maipulate dev responses and game changes. This is not how it should work.

Dev to player coms should be minimal dahanese aside.. becuase no matter how much a dev loves its players WE are selfish and biased. Devs have the companys intrest and income in mind .
    Agree and disagree. I love how integrated the devs are with you guys. I wouldn't want to take that away. I agree that manipulation and baiting is bad and there's more to combating that than asking me and my team to step in between you and the devs. There's a lot of training and talking that can help sort through those issues and protect against them happening.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by GroundZero View Post
    So much tears on this forum for nothing. You do realized that this game is free to play? No pay to win tricks, fully free! Why do you cry I can't understand? Oh they told you about big master plan but there is none... Ah big deal... Game is great as it is, you might just played it way to much and you got no more satisfaction out of it. If that's the case, go play some other game.
    you do realize that paying sucribers existed before F2P, and that some of them subscribed until mid 2014 through the various commercial offers, without them being asked if they wanted the game to go F2P?

Quote Originally Posted by Mehaa View Post
    you do realize that paying sucribers existed before F2P, and that some of them subscribed until mid 2014 through the various commercial offers, without them being asked if they wanted the game to go F2P?
    Sums up most of the forums for the month of May 2013
    The only way that someone from Cluster 2 is actually as bad as you all say is if they started playing this game in 2.3 (Free to Play launch).

Proud officer and Mage class lead of <Zombies>

Champion of Telara

I'm not sure why there was a sudden expectation that Hartsman was going to start posting again. He's the CEO now, when was the last time the previous CEO ever posted on these forums? I have noticed less Dagler posts since Hartsman came back on board, and even less after Elrar was promoted to customer. My assumption is it is to allow Dahanese the opportunity to build a presence and be the voice for the forums, and allow Dagler more opportunity to focus on running the ship.
    Kinda miss some of the snark though, lol
    Smidge
    Wolfsbane

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Fragasm View Post
    Sums up most of the forums for the month of May 2013
    It saddened me to realize this, I don't really know why...

It saddened me to realize this, I don't really know why...
    Trion would ask us around every turn to sub for the next year, and then it goes F2P and all we get was a tiny Credit stipend (I never ended up getting all of mine), a lot of fluff known as Loyalty (Quality of Life items at best) and "Patron" rewards which were just the Patron Vials (40% Notoriety, Experience, Currency, Favor, and Prestige lasted 2 hours per vial, had 7 charges with one recharging daily) and you could get ahead in login queues which was only vital for about 2 weeks into F2P.

That's why people were so upset. And the entire time, up until a day before the F2P announcement, the forum mods were saying "No, RIFT has no plans to go F2P."
    The only way that someone from Cluster 2 is actually as bad as you all say is if they started playing this game in 2.3 (Free to Play launch).

10.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #55

Quote Originally Posted by TaoOfRogue View Post
    I'm not sure why there was a sudden expectation that Hartsman was going to start posting again. He's the CEO now, when was the last time the previous CEO ever posted on these forums? I have noticed less Dagler posts since Hartsman came back on board, and even less after Elrar was promoted to customer. My assumption is it is to allow Dahanese the opportunity to build a presence and be the voice for the forums, and allow Dagler more opportunity to focus on running the ship.
    Kinda miss some of the snark though, lol
    Wait you want more snark?! I can snark with the best of them.

Quote Originally Posted by dahanese View Post
    Wait you want more snark?! I can snark with the best of them.
    OH WE DO WANT SNARK. You can talk the talk, but can you snark the snark?

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by TaoOfRogue View Post
    I'm not sure why there was a sudden expectation that Hartsman was going to start posting again
    The expectation comes from the fact that he said himself he has a big plan and great ideas for Rift. It is just natural to ask what those may be.
    I personally don't ask him to come and chat with players, we have enough persons on the forum to do that, Dahanese and Daglar included.
    He has various ways to communicate and he can do it just fine, but hell could he do it?

I can't remember the last time when an annoucement was good news. From january 2013 server population generally decreased (and I can't find again those nice charts summing up server population during several months, sry, but if you've been a recruiting officer like I have been you saw it anyway) and as said in previous posts we had a nice radio silence between march and may 2013 if I remember well, followed by F2P annoucement.
    Before May you actually didn't know if they were going to stop Rift, and for months you have been expecting an update. Then BAM F2P (what a nice beginning of summer holidays by the way...)

June passes, then july, and you start to be accustomed to the F2P. It brough players and maybe it was needed to keep Rift afloat. Not the best future you expected for your beloved game, but ok we'll continue to live.
    Then august comes, and you hear news from Trion. No more European offices, change of CM. Again, you hear from Trion and that's not good news.

Now I know there will be news from Trion again, and I'm growing skeptical for them to be good. If they have to be bad, waiting will just make them worse. 2.4 was planned already and is not part of those.

The sun has been shining when Kervik announced the long awaited rework of the cleric souls, which rework he did as promised. That's a bit thin since the previous dev was supposed to do it for what I know, but that's all I have.

Telaran

but if you've been a recruiting officer like I have been you saw it anyway
    apologizing already for this one as it sounds way too arrogant, I cannot modify it now so it will have to do ^^
    Last edited by Mehaa; 08-21-2013 at 04:41 PM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Charlice View Post
    Past Projects:

RIFT: Storm Legion (2012)
    RIFT Mobile (2011)
    RIFT (2011)
    Unannounced MMO and Platform (ohai.com) (Beta Release - May 2009)
    11 social games and skins on four social networks (2008)
    EQ2: Rise of Kunark (Expansion) (Nov 2007)
    Legends of Norrath: Oathbound (Sept 2007)
    EQ2: Echoes of Faydwer (Expansion) (Nov 2006)
    EQ2: The Fallen Dynasty (Adventure Pack) (June 2006)
    EQ2: Kingdom of Sky (Expansion) (Feb 2006)
    EQ2: Desert of Flames (Expansion) (Sept 2005)
    EQ2: The Splitpaw Saga (June 2005)
    EQ2: The Bloodline Chronicles (Mar 2005)
    EverQuest II (Nov 2004)
    EverQuest: Lost Dungeons of Norrath (Sept 2003)
    EverQuest: The Legacy of Ykesha (Feb 2003)
    EverQuest: Planes of Power (Oct 2002)
    EverQuest: Shadows of Luclin (Dec 2001)
    Middle Earth Online (Never shipped. Stealth Dev Team #2. No, not The Permadeath Guys, and not Turbine. The one in the middle youíve never heard of. There may have even been others Iíve never heard of.)
    Legal Crime (@ Publisher - Dev Support & Online Infrastructure) (1999)
    US Chess Federation Online (@ Publisher - Development & Online Infrastructure) (1998)
    Claw: Online (@ Publisher - Dev Support & Online Infrastructure) (1998)
    Warcraft II for Windows: Online (@ Publisher - Porting & Online Infrastructure) (1997)
    Virtual Pool Online (@ Publisher - Dev Support & Online Infrastructure) (1997)
    Darkness Falls (@ Publisher - Dev Support & Online Infrastructure) (1997)
    Splatterball (@ Publisher - Dev Support & Online Infrastructure) (1997)
    Rolemaster: Magestorm (@ Publisher - Dev Support & Online Infrastructure) (1996)
    Descent Online (1996)
    Trivia at The Improv (1996)
    Billboard Live! Trivia (1996)
    ENGAGE Games Online (Game Service Platform) (1996)
    GemStone III (1991)
    Imagine*Nation (1990)
    OrbWars (Level Design) (1989)
    GemStone II (1988)
    Scepter of Goth (1986)

And he's hawt, but not as hawt as Dags.
    He looks like a goblin.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Balferest View Post
    Rift is fine. There are very few negative posts on the forums from THE PEOPLE.
    The Big Plan is to keep going. Rift isn't going to have this massive surge of people suddenly. It is what it is at this point. I expect it to grow a little more as Action MMORPGs come out. You mention WildStar. Rift is going to benefit greatly from all of these action MMORPGs.

Do you know why Rift is going to benefit? Because contrary to popular belief there exists people who don't like action combat. Where's my proof? WoW still has 7.7 million players, which means that traditional combat is still dominating based on, WoW, Rift and SWTOR Combined Market Share(Drawing a line between "Traditional" and "Action") despite Tera,Gw2 AOC, NWO ect. Heck you don't even have to pay to play them! And, yet... lol

Explaining how rift will benefit: People get bored with WoW->They Try FOTM AMMORPG-> They decide it's not for them but they've had their fill of WoW-> they try Rift and like that it's familiar to WoW, but has more than enough to separate it from WoW.

Trion just needs to make sure Rift is the best "Traditional" MMORPG on the market. That means a 64 bit Client and other optimizations. They put together excellent End Game raids. They have the most kickass f2P model on the Market. All that's left is polish.

Yep you articulate this pretty well, all the new games coming out keep emphasing a non-targeted action approach which has two major drawbacks.

1> Not every wants to play a fully action style game.
    2> Latency latency latency. This is still a relevant problem.

Expanding on the latency thing, you would assume that a company making an MMO would want to be able to market their product to as many people as possible, for a fully action style that means servers close by but there's not always enough of a demand for a local server in every country or on every continent.

The way Rift currently is people like me can play the game quite well with 200-300 ms latency. It's true that PVP will probably not be as great as it could be alot of the time but everything else is pretty much fine. I look at all these non-targeted action MMOS coming out and I'm asking myself how enjoyable it's really going to be constantly lagging behind.

There's still a market for a traditional style game, alot of people say they're tired of it but I think in the case of say.. Everquest Next.. most of the things that are new and that they're hyping could be a disaster, only the fact that things in the world might change really appealing to me, maybe the AI being better could be good but the way the classes appear to work really is pretty scary, the game actually could fail pretty hard on this part alone.

You could take Rift say, move onto nicer engine like the cryengine 3, do something where the world actually changes, and some other tweaks like maybe the AI/combat a bit and you still have a potential hit.
    Last edited by Malark; 08-22-2013 at 04:35 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast